[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any virus today that can completely destroy a comp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: computer-virus-rev-1.jpg (20 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
computer-virus-rev-1.jpg
20 KB, 360x240
Are there any virus today that can completely destroy a computer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrnWFAx5vJg#t=10
>>
Only scared of encryption viruses nowadays.
>>
File: 142.jpg (63 KB, 622x521) Image search: [Google]
142.jpg
63 KB, 622x521
>>52366642
This is the biggest threat, but if out there there's a virus that can fuck with your HDD/SSD firmware then you should be worried about that. That is the ultimate bricker.
>>
Pretty much anything that runs at ring 0 could in theory rewrite firmware with bad shit. However if you happen to have a motherboard with a switchable BIOS, you could save your ass pretty quickly.

If we're talking about halting and catching fire, then not really. I'm guessing you *COULD* write code that tells the BIOS to overvolt to 2.0V and fry the CPU, though.
>>
Magistr and Kriz are two relatively modern viruses that attempt to destroy hardware. They should work fine on 32 bit Windows systems. I've never tested them on 64 bit though.

No one really makes hardware destroying viruses any more though. Now it's all about botnets and ransomware.
>>
>>52366523
Your mom has so many STDs she's a walking virus. And she destroys computers.
>>
>>52366523
Wasn't there one called the 'chernobyl virus' that fried something on your motherboard
>>
>>52369083
#KVADDAD
>>
>>52366523
>destroy a computer?
That's some Heath Ledger Joker-tier kind of virus. Nobody makes those anymore.
The reason is that, if they already get as far as being able to execute that type of code on your machine, they will rather use that opportunity to somehow get money out of it by encrypting your files for ransom or running coinminers. Fucking greedy jews, I swear.
>>
>>52366523
really depends on how dumb you are.
>>
Windows 10
>>
>>52369246
Trashing HDD/SSD's firmware would be great feature for ransomware to scare people.
>>
>>52366741
>if you happen to have a motherboard with a switchable BIOS

>be me
>have duel BIOS
>be a gigglebyte board
>no virus
>dies anyway trying to rewrite the BIOS
>>
>>52370124
>duel BIOS
How did that work? Did your BIOSes regularly fight to the death until they both succumbed to their injuries?
>>
>>52370075
Guess you can fuck up SSDs rewriting shit alot. Not shure if the virus wouldn't become visible tough.
>>
>>52366523
Anyone under 8 or over 58.
>>
>>52370157
kek
>>
There aren't that many and the reason is simple: no cracker would go for sheer malice when he can go for malice and cash, all while the latter is a lot easier to implement.

Which is why today almost all decent malware is either ransomware or botnets.
The 1337 h4x0rs sell 0-days exploits, rootkits and so forth to the highest bidder, among which you can count governments, espionage organizations & wealthy criminals.

If you're good at it and don't have a conscience, there's a lot of money to be made - but not from simply fucking up someone's firmware because you can.
>>
>>52366523
Well, there's Windows 10.
>>
What ever happened to fun viruses? Now every virus wants money, what happneed that would like fuck up the text on word files, or leave funny shit in the background?
>>
Do people still make worms or is it all just malware and trojans these days?
>>
>>52371837
underrated
>>
Can you completely destroy hardware with software?
>>
>>52371899
economic crisis happened. people good at writing code and no ethics need money too
>>
File: get-windows-10-app.jpg (219 KB, 1647x927) Image search: [Google]
get-windows-10-app.jpg
219 KB, 1647x927
>>52366523
>>
>>52370201
you have no idea the kind of time that would take
>>
>>52372639
I take it you've never worked with assembly before.
>>
>>52373366
How often are you writing assembly with ring 0 permissions? Maybe you could brick a shit ton of embedded hardware (I know I've fucked up TI calculators by accidentally putting the display in test mode), but I doubt you could do that to a desktop without trying to.
>>
>>52373537
I'm just curious if it is even possible. I guess the answer is yes.
>>
Couldn't a virus write data and interrupt the process generating bad sectors on the disk? Given enough time it could corrupt the entire drive or break a critical file and crash the system. Seems simple to do but I would think it's been done before and there are safeguard in place.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.