[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hi /g/ i hate my job. its my first job after graduating CS.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: 1434730245436.png (9 KB, 405x344) Image search: [Google]
1434730245436.png
9 KB, 405x344
hi /g/

i hate my job. its my first job after graduating CS. i'm in florida, there's barely any tech scene. the job is titled software developer, but we dont even use a real programming language, the dev environment is basically like FoxPro. its shit and runs like shit and everything i make in it is shit. i dislike my coworkers and almost everyone in the company. i've been trying to apply to out-of-state jobs to try and get out for this entire past year with no luck in landing anything. i'm considering just quitting and moving since i have savings, but everyone tells me its a bad idea to quit a job before having one lined up.

i feel if i dont quit i'll be stuck here another year. i can't keep making fake dental or doctor appointments to do interviews every other week, and even then, comps out of state seem less willing to interview people who live out of state.

what the feuck do i do? considering suicide. my skills have deteriorated immensely. i just work, come home, drink, play vidja, and go to sleep
>>
File: 1335993272755.png (40 KB, 362x362) Image search: [Google]
1335993272755.png
40 KB, 362x362
Sorry to hear that, wageslave
>>
File: 1405236441508.jpg (67 KB, 393x293) Image search: [Google]
1405236441508.jpg
67 KB, 393x293
It could be worse

I mean, you could be David Bowie right now.
>>
>I just work, come home, drink, play vidya, and go to sleep

This is why I enjoy having a flatmate, whenever I feel shit I just smoke weed and chill with the nigga

It's hard to bring girls round tho

>>52360482
Whats David Bowie done
>>
>i just work, come home, drink, play vidja, and go to sleep
I do that and I have a decent job that I don't completely hate.
>>
>>52360494
>Whats David Bowie done
He went and died.
>>
>>52360494
He dedded
>>
>i'm considering just quitting and moving since i have savings, but everyone tells me its a bad idea to quit a job before having one lined up.
i'm considering just quitting and moving since i have savings, but everyone tells me its a bad idea to quit a job before having one lined up.

This is true, it's a shit idea

You have a stable income AND knowledge so what are you complaining about? CREATE the job you want. Want to develop real software in a real language? DO THAT, sell it.

> considering suicide.

How did someone as dumb as you graduate with a CS degree? Just solve your problem. It's the alcohol which makes your life miserable, because nobody is able to do anything smart if they drink. as long as you do that you are just another wage slave without the integrity to get a good life.
>>
>>52360450
Work for Morgan Stanley so you use a real man's programming language/database:

Natural/Adabas
Natural/Adabas
Natural/Adabas
Natural/Adabas
Natural/Adabas
>>
>>52360450
> i'm considering just quitting and moving since i have savings,

You gotta do what you gotta do.

I think it's much easier to pull this off now than it was in the past. There are things like AirBnB.

Hell, right now I'm considering just heading down to the LA area and staying in a hostel for a couple of weeks to see if I can land any work down there. I'm 95% sure I can find employment in Seattle, but ugh, I'm sick of the PNW again.

Here's another suggestion: start looking for satisfaction outside work. Work will ALWAYS end up shitty. Real world programming is not about fun, simple, interesting problems like in your CS program. It's about a daily grind to create business value.

I suggest you focus on finding rewarding hobbies and becoming financially independent as early in your life as possible. Start buying up houses. Pay a management company to rent them out for you. In 10 - 15 years, you'll probably be able to live off nothing but passive income.

In the meantime, get interested in something. I really liked rock climbing and yoga. Get a pet. I take my dog to the dog park almost every day and have made many casual friends there, it's a great social outlet.

I've pretty much hated every single job I've had. I haven't experienced "flow" state since somewhere in my final year of my CS program. Real world programming is often about banging your head against some asshole's shittily documented code, rather than gracefully pumping out beautiful code of your own.

The only thing that's ever made any job enjoyable was having great coworkers. In one case, I shared an office with a guy and we bantered all day long. Then our cunt boss moved another guy in and ruined a good thing. The other guy stunk and chewed his nails all day, making spitty noises the whole time. Fucking revolting.

The other time I was busting my ass hardcore for a startup. It was four of us in total, but everyone was great at what they did.
>>
>>52360560

(continuing)

The CEO was insane though. Like, pill-popping nuts with weird abusive streaks. He may have been a compulsive liar, too. (to give you an idea of his character, his wife was his best friend and former business partner's ex-wife, she cheated on the former guy with this dude) After shipping what was barely a passable beta, he cut all our pay to zero and I left. For reasons I don't understand to this day, that isn't considered qualifying for unemployment benefits by the CA unemployment board.

That said, San Francisco is an awesome place to live from your mid twenties to your mid thirties. But you have to accept city life. If you try to have a car and big place, you'll live paycheck to paycheck. Shack up with some cool roommates and ride public transit around, though, and you'll meet more enthusiastic, smart, driven young people than anywhere else I've ever been.

Then you'll hit 35 and be considered old. :-)
>>
>>52360450
>everyone tells me its a bad idea to quit a job before having one lined up
Depends on the job market. Are you having a hard time finding a different job? It will not magically get easier when you quit your current job. If the job market is not in your favour, then keep in mind that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

>what the deuce do i do? considering suicide.
You dislike your job, there you want to kill yourself? There is more to life than that. Have patience, look for a new job, and change once the opportunity presents itself.

There are people out there who are homeless, who do not have a job to pay rent/play games/afford a roof. So be grateful for you have, anon.
>>
>>52360521
>>52360528
What the complete fuck?
>>
>>52360450
You should've known going into CS was a bad idea.
Come to Commiefornia, we've got all the shitty startups for mobile apps.
Better hurry, the Indians are filling up the positions.
>>
>>52360617
He had cancer for a while.
>>
>>52360607
>It will not magically get easier when you quit your current job

It will if he's not in the right area.

To my knowledge, people haven't been doing relocation for most software jobs since the late 90s.

If you're stuck in the anus of the US (Florida) and you want a job somewhere interesting (SF, NYC, Chicago, less so Seattle, LA), then your only choice might be to move your shit into storage, move to the target area, get a local burner phone, and start advertising yourself.
>>
>>52360598
A wise anon
>>
>>52360598
Seems like SF is literally London
>>
>>52360839

I'd say no, because when I visited London I found the locals to be stunningly unfriendly and unhelpful.

SF locals get annoyed by tourists, but it's generally all just shit-talking among themselves. They're pretty friendly and helpful to strangers.
>>
>>52360450
just make some real life friends, OP
they're great
plus sometimes they can hook you up with connections
>>
>>52361053
>SF locals get annoyed by tourists, but it's generally all just shit-talking among themselves. They're pretty friendly and helpful to strangers.

Norway here. This sounds awful.
>>
>>52361053
Oh thats just because everyone in London is in a fucking rush
>>
networking doesn't have that problem :^)
>>
>>52361053
>I found the locals to be stunningly unfriendly and unhelpful.

Probably just culture shock. Brits are polite and nice people, it's just way more subdued. For example if you ask a American how he is he might say "Great!" with a big smile. While a Englishman might say "I hope I survive until 5 o clock" or "Head above the water" if he is feeling particularly cheerful that day. Nobody is going to act like an American.
It is seen as a bit too boisterous.

If you think the BRITS are unhelpful and unfriendly then God knows what you would think of us Scandinavians who will look obviously uncomfortable if a stranger started talking to them. If someone sits next to you on a full buss it is common to move if two other seats open up next to each other. Just so we don't sit right next to each other, that is considered polite in Norway. But a American might feel hurt by it (why did he move away from me to another seat?)

Things you consider unfriendly and unhelpful might actually be considered being considerate towards others. If a Scandinavian moves away from you it's just to give you more space, which is also why they might avoid talking to you as much as possible. But some might consider it rude and rejecting if they don't get the culture.

I am pretty sure you misunderstood and the Brits you met were actually trying to be considerate in their own way.

Culture shock happens even when you think the cultures are similar.

I remember when I moved to Britain and lived there a couple of years. In the start I used to buy cigarettes just in the norwegian way by just saying the brand "Marlboro 20s" and handing over the money without a word and if they ask anything, then just keep the replies short. I remember the store clerks looked so hurt and I could not really get why. But after a while I learned all the "please" and "thank you" that was expected and I kept the conversation going.

I never meant to be rude, it was just cultural differences.
>>
>>52360450
ayyy lmao
I'm also Floridian, except my parents forced me to drop out of college freshman year.
>>
>>52360450
You're probably having trouble because you put whatever graphical programming shit you're using at the top of your resume. Drop that shit and just say you know Java, C++, etc; as long as you can interview in those languages you'll be fine.

Also you can try recruiting agencies, some of them aren't so bad (Codility, TripleByte) and they don't ask for a resume.
>>
>>52361329
>While a Englishman might say "I hope I survive until 5 o clock" or "Head above the water" if he is feeling particularly cheerful that day.

It sounds like you learned this from a book called "How the Englishman Acts".

You are right about Scans seeming very unfriendly on first impressions though.
>>
>>52361329
>Probably just culture shock.

Huh?

It's not culture shock when you need help finding something and people literally won't even look at you.

London had the most phenomenally unhelpful, unpleasant people I've ever witnessed. Need help in SF? People will stop, listen to you, and either tell you what you need to know or point you in the direction of someone who can.

It has nothing to do with "culture shock". It's purely about observed behavior.

>If a Scandinavian moves away from you

Ugh. I'm not talking about subtleties here, I'm talking about, "excuse me, can you tell me which way okay bye dickhead".

Also, speaking to the folks at the hostel who were mostly colonials who came to London to find work, they found England to be extremely stuck up and unfriendly to outsiders.

I've never seen anything in media or personal experience that *doesn't* back this up. Thing is, I thought it was sort of a good-natured joke. Nope, English people legitimately think they're awesome and outsiders are scum.
>>
>>52361262

Probably why I've never met a single Norwegian in the US. I've met plenty of Swedes, though. They're generally pretty great.

Lots of them in London, though. Always really tall dudes in black wool trenchcoats with ubiquitous iPod white earbuds. They'd stare at the iPod, endlessly queueing up music so as to avoid any human interaction.
>>
>>52361425
>It sounds like you learned this from a book called "How the Englishman Acts".
I heard brits say stuff like that.

> You are right about Scans seeming very unfriendly on first impressions though.
It's a shame really, because we really are not unfriendly. It's just that cultural shyness, we love people and love meeting strangers it's just not something that is done unless people are drunk or you are forced to socially interact through work or some other activity.

It makes no sense either, I am pretty sure every Norwegian wants to just talk to random strangers that look interesting. I do, but I just don't do it in Norway. I have learned to do it outside of Norway though.
>>
>>52361053
Everyone in the UK says this about London too. It's just a horrible terrible hateful place.
>>
>>52361511
>It's not culture shock when you need help finding something and people literally won't even look at you.
They are busy, not everyone have the time to stop and chat. If you need directions then just ask a local police constable I guess. Or inside a store, they are always friendly.

But that might also be a special London thing, if you went to Scotland then people would probably stop even if they were busy.
>>
>>52361636
>not everyone have the time to stop and chat.

It's not stopping to chat, dickhead.

> If you need directions then just ask a local police constable I guess.

Yeah, I learned that after about a week. What a stupid concept. Be terrified to talk to strangers and just push that load onto the silly-dressed cops.
>>
>>52360450
Alright fag first stop drinking and playing fucking video games you manchild. Second of all revamp your resume post it on /biz/ if you want an evaluation. You suck because you don't apply yourself. Go home after work and study mor about this programming language and learn to enjoy it. Its your first job try to stand out be the best you can be. Also be fucking friendly. Dont be an autist smile and ask how people are doing talk to your boss and ask him some questions who knows you might have some things in common. Be grateful you have work retard.
>>
Can you actually get a job at programing without an official CS degree? I mean, can u actually apply for a job in that matter just by self teaching and knowing the languages?
>>
>>52361760
Yes
>>
>>52361329
>If someone sits next to you on a full buss it is common to move if two other seats open up next to each other. Just so we don't sit right next to each other, that is considered polite in Norway
Not him but damn, that sounds pretty great actually.
>>
>>52360450
>tfw almost made a similar decision but became NEET instead

Way to fall for the meme, lad.
>>
>>52360560
>The other guy stunk and chewed his nails all day, making spitty noises the whole time
did he wear a maroon polo every day and constantly complain about "freedom"?
>>
File: Dilbert-280x300.jpg (16 KB, 280x300) Image search: [Google]
Dilbert-280x300.jpg
16 KB, 280x300
>he thought Dilbert was a joke
>>
Quit your job
>>
must be hard to have to do something you don't like 8 hours a day in order to make >$4000/mo, meanwhile some of us struggle to even find a mcjob
>>
File: dt160111.gif (117 KB, 900x280) Image search: [Google]
dt160111.gif
117 KB, 900x280
>>
File: eunuch.jpg (283 KB, 1913x587) Image search: [Google]
eunuch.jpg
283 KB, 1913x587
this is now a dilbert thread
>>
>>52361645
If you're a tourist you are fucking hated, you cunts are so fucking annoying 'which one is the Jubillee line' why the fuck are you talking to me you obese peasant? It says on the fucking wall
>>
>>52362127

Exactly the kind of horrible attitude that you won't find most other places.
>>
>>52360450
Find a job in a startup that does something innovative and interesting.
>>
>>52362311

>Facebook for Dogs

Not innovative enough.

> Microloans for impoverished emus

Now we're talking.
>>
>>52361511
I'm British and I can vouch for this.
Most Brits think that you're taking our work and feeding other countries' economies from ours.
Personally I love London, my trick is to simply not need to ask for help.
>>
>>52360450

1. do not quit your current job unless you have one year of savings support + the cost of healthcare insurance

2. sorry you live in a shithole; don't kill yourself

3. keep your sanity by studying high level mathematics or programming to keep your mind clear and astute

4. keep trying, something will turn up; and never move into a rural area again until you are assured that you can give the shit up without turning back
>>
>>52362304
literal peasant mindset

>>52361511
Sounds accurate. I'm English and it's difficult for me to not look down on even some of the lower class uk citizens like scots and northerners.
>>
>>52360450

floridaman here,

the tech scene here is hopping not sure what you're doing wrong
>>
>>52362374
fucking enslave the scottish please
>>
>>52362347

Once again, that horrible attitude.

I've never found that anywhere else. I guess I've heard about it in Paris.

Maybe that's why England and France were almost perpetually at war for centuries. Because both countries are full of assholes who think too highly of themselves.
>>
>>52362774
Americans have the worst fucking sense of humour, I can't even say 'I am going to die if I work any longer' as a joke because they are fucking stupid as fuck
>>
>>52362774
>couldn't handle the banter
>>
>>52362774
Why are you so bland
>>
File: 1452196532531.jpg (156 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1452196532531.jpg
156 KB, 500x333
>>52360560
>I can find employment in Seattle, but ugh, I'm sick of the PNW again.

Go die in a (hostel-related) fire. We don't want you up here anyway
>>
>>52362774
It'd be unfair to tar all Brits with the same brush, just as in the same sentence it'd be as unfair to tar foreigners.
I don't really care who comes to Britain or not, I don't care who hates me because I'm British or not.

What nationality are you by the way pal?
>>
Guys, what does cs mean? I'm a newfag and english is not my native language.
>>
>>52360450

If you can survive for 6 months without a job, then quit.
>>
>>52362057
I love Dilbert... Can't believe I havent read it in like 10 years
>>
>>52362774
>full of assholes who think too highly of themselves.

Which is also the reason why America starts pretty much all wars in the world today.
>>
>>52363279
Computer Science
>>
>>52360450
If you want something geographically close-ish that you can feasibly duck out of work for a couple days for an interview, Research Triangle Park in NC has a lot of tech jobs and a pretty great tech scene. You should take a look in that area and see what turns up.

Fuck, if you feel you've got nothing to lose, just save up a bit, pick up and move somewhere like RTP that's affordable to live in, but has a good tech scene.
>>
>>52363279
counter strike
>>
>>52360450
Doing pure CS. That's your problem. You should have done something with the word engineering in it. At least CE or CSE.
>>
Hey op, can you hook me up with a job at the company? I want to work in Florida. Sounds like a dream to be desu.
>>
>>52360450
kill yourself

>>>/adv/
>>>/blz/
>>
>>52360450
come to central florida (gainesville)

you may think with UF and all them students getting a job is harder.

this is literally only true if you want to work a shit customer service job.

The fucking work ethic of these kids (lol i'm 23) is absolutely pathetic, they quit and refuse to work any chance they get.

If you're not a student and you have skills its actually really fucking easy to land a decent paying dev job (granted mostly webdev).

Only words of advice, have your pay put into the fucking contract you signed one particular company seriously fucked me over, but i'm not going to write that blog post.

Shit were currently paying some chick $12/hr to proctor tests, literally all she fucking has to do is sit there, play on facebook and make sure no ones cheating.

And yet shes being let go because shes constantly fucking late, and constantly "sick" so she can get out early. (hourly not salary, so shes losing money)

Bitch you're literally getting paid to sit there and you refuse to do that? come the fuck on.

I mean shit, my GF works at a local porn store, shes been there over a year now, and besides the manager, they are the only same people from the last year.

They hire and fire about 4 people a months because everyone fucking lacks a work ethic here. Some dude actually had his mom call in saying he wouldn't be showing up to work.

TLDR: come to gainesville, works easy to find since no one has a fucking work ethic, expect dev work, do not expect food slave work.
>>
>>52364707
>have your pay put into the fucking contract you signed one particular company seriously fucked me over
How did you even let this happen?

Briefly explain.
>>
>>52364817

got letgo from grooveshark along with 30 other people

in panic to make rent, landed a job with a company i will not name, somehow was promised 40 hour salary, somehow ended up only getting paid for 20 hours.... once a fucking month rather than every week, or every other week.

Well since i was part of the first wave of GS layoffs it was pretty tricky finding a new job considering there were 30 other like minded individuals looking for a new job.

It was literally the only contract i never fucking read, it never stated about my pay, just the standard NDA bullshit.

I even had to get the GS one re-written before i signed it (it stated every bit of code i wrote ON OR OFF GS PROPERTY magically became theirs, i noticed this, and was told contracts are very tricky and someone would explain this to me the next day, when in reality they handed me a revised version, trying to play me like an idiot)

But in a panic not to lose my apartment i didnt fucking read the contract with the company in question.

But i was promised that they would take me with them as they grew, so i built their entire everything, they still use my software for the day to day business operations, but got let go and replaced with indians who didnt know how to use git to upload to the server, he then fired them and no ones been working on updates or revisions to the product.

They even had the fucking nerve to ask me to fix shit over SSH via my fucking Phone when i was 23,000 nautical miles away from the coast of florida on a family cruise) and never reimbursed me for that.

I still have root access to their servers....
>>
I've been doing an unpaid internship for almost a year. At least you have a salary
>>
>blogshit
fuck off
>>
>>52364961
It didnt help it was in a fucking "incubator" (where other startups lease out from one big building)

and since i was hired on with the owner of the building and he kept telling me he would move me to one of these higher grossing companies i tried my best to keep my mouth fucking shut.

But that was a horrible fucking decision.

All the fucking time I would get a call at 9pm asking if i can have some features functioning by tomorrow morning so they could show investors.

After telling him X in unavailable because that's going to take at least 3 days to get running, he would reply with "wel'll well just drop you and find someone else who can", so i was pretty much forced to snort some adderall to stay up all night to get the shit done.

Send him a fucking email at 6am stating its all done and functional as how they want it, and i'm taking the day off since i was up all night.

His response "Why? i'm still coming in so should you", like are you fucking serious? i just spent the last 12 hours non stopped geeked up programming, and you still want me to come in?

Between needing a roof over my head, and being far too fucking afraid my paycheck would vanish tomorrow, and the fake promises that i would i have moved to another company, i kept my fucking mouth shut hoping for the best, but that never happened and i was letgo without the last months pay.

Now i work for a company making 50K with muh PHP, never work a day a bank is closed, and obtain 4 weeks of PTO a year, and the best part is the boss actually treats me like a human.

Havent fucking touched aderal since i finished with that last company, dont need it thank god.
>>
>>52360617
Don't you have a single news app on your phone?
>>
>>52365101
Back in my days we had a tea and meditation.

Aderall is such an easy way out, holy shit.

Anyway, your company treats you like shit but stack first, get a job, then quit.
>>
>>52365008
At least you have experience in the industry
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.