[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't find any X11 tutorials online that aren't over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1421482469359.png (518 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1421482469359.png
518 KB, 1000x1000
I can't find any X11 tutorials online that aren't over a decade old and incomplete. Are there any?
>inb4 use a bloated abstraction library
No
>inb4 posted this last night
More people are awake now and maybe I'll get some proper xlib tutorials
>>
post more loli
>>
>>52352305
No
>>
tutorials to do what?

do what every non-man child does and follow the tutorials to learn the basic principles, then look at the documentation for more up to date techniques where applicable
>>
>>52348754
Wayland is coming. X will slowly be deprecated.

But it won't be completely gone if you just know to how to install packages.
>>
Because the only people that still develop for the X protocol are old greybeards and there isn't really a huge community for development. All the cool kids develop GUIs in HTML and CSS now.
>>
Xlib Programming Manual

X11 hasn't changed much since the mid-90s and hardly anyone uses it directly nowadays, so there's no more recent literature. You might want to look at the sources if you need to figure out something specifically.
>>
Not a tutorial, but you didn't ask a specific enough question.

https://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/index.html
>>
>>52348754
No, but what are you trying to do? X is a bitch, and if you are asking for help on 4chan I doubt you'll ever finish anything.

X was made before babby's first tutorials were prevalent. You read:

Xlib - C Language X interface by James Gettys and Robert Scheifler

and

Xlib Programming Manual (O'Reilly)

then both the ICCCM and EWMH specifications. I've wasted a decade of my life dealing with X, enjoy.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.