[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make the most out of Android? Please post useful software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: green-trash-can-logo.png (80 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
green-trash-can-logo.png
80 KB, 1600x1600
How do you make the most out of Android?
Please post useful software for it and neat ideas and suggestions itt.
There's got to be something useful amidst all the talking cat apps and flappy bird clones, right?
>>
1. Install recovery
2. Flash with AOSP rom
>>
READ THE STICKY
>>
>>52314875
Fuck off
>>
>>52313955
F-Droid
>>
>>52313955
Best rom for 2014 moto g? I have heard that stock is the best but I want to be sure
>>
>>52315034
stock debloated
>>
>>52315152
Best de bloating tool?
>>
Are antivirus tools really needed for Android phones or is it just a meme?

Got my first Android phone today
>>
>>52315183
Titanium backup
>>
>>52315183
just disable what you don't need or remove it if you're rooted, if you are then install xposed and gravitybox if you want to customize things.

>>52315211
Not really imo, just avoid shit like "360flashlightxxxmlg" with 99 permissions and install an adblocker like adaway if you're rooted.
>>
>>52315211
meme.
android phones come with huge ram because
>android caches apps to max use of memory
>apps themselves have huge cache + apk to hold

Only thing you have to worry about it setting up proper sync settings and app settings.
>>
I have the HTC one m8s, do I need to root it or just unlock the boot loader to install a custom Rom ?

Also, does anyone know a good Rom for the HTC one m8s?
>>
>>52315295
I tried to install xposed but it gave me an error
>>
>>52315335
you should flash the xposed sdk for your android version and then install the apk
>>
>>52313955
you install gentoo
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android

Apart from this, I would suggest you to root your phone and install AdAway.
I also like to use AirDroid to transfer things on my pc without having to connect my phone via cable.
>>
SGit (Forker currently)
Not available via fdroid so you'll have to build it yourself
>>
>>52315367
Thanks I got it working now. Any cool module I should know besides gravity box?
>>
>>52313955
get an iphone
>>
>>52314971
what do you use off f-droid m8?
i use adaway, chanu, csploit
>>
>>52316094
bootmanager
clean lockscreen
lock screen widgets if you're on LP and want that
youtube adaway
xprivacy
>>
>>52316237
Thank, any way to hide the status bar on the lock screen?
>>
Any bittorrent clients for Android that respects my freedoms? I don't have Google Play Store
>>
>>52317764
Try FrostWire it's on f-droid. https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=com.frostwire.android
>>
>>52317764

You don't have to use playsore. you can always download apk from some totally legit site by randomly googling for the software you want.
>>
>>52319979
Great way to get malware.
>>
>>52315211
Almost all Android malware comes from people installing pirated apps.
>>
>>52313955
Don't use anti virus, root your phone, debloat it with titanium backup pro, install another launcher (maybe nova), xposed framework + amplify + greenify donation.
>>
>>52315328
not 100% sure, but i dont think you need to be rooted to install a custom rom, but many rom packages include SuperSU so you will become rooted anyway. its a good idea to root, as anyone will know.

just get cyanogenmod
>>
>>52313955
Install neutered Quickpic and a lightweight player with broad extension support for all your Cantonese Graffiti.

A tablet is a better lewd machine than a phone or a laptop.
>>
>>52322230
>player

I meant viewer. But sure, install a player too.
>>
If i take away root. do apps like adaway stop working?
>>
>>52323570
Yes.
>>
>>52320088
Proof?
>>
>>52323570
No, but it would be extremely painful
>>
>>52323716
This is how I go about getting shit to install on the phone since I don't surf on a 3 inch screen anyway, avoid as much google on the phone as possible. If the permissions look suspicious I don't bother, there is a hellofalota shit out there. Open source is good. So much confirmation bias in these threads. Most phone software is shit no question about it, playsore is no guarantee you are not installing shit, alot is just sanctioned shit.
>>
Get a watch that runs Android Wear. Makes you realize how useless your phone really is
>>
DriveDroid - lets you use your phone as a USB drive for OS booting. You can boot your desktop/laptop from your phone. Must be rooted

Push bullet - syncs messages and notifications across devices through a browser add on. Also allows easy wifi file sharing.
>>
>>52313955
fdroid
ghost commander
>>
moglen mentioned briefly a couple of years ago that he used a vpn and voip on his phone to make calls.
What is the best setup for this?
I am guessing for vpn you would use openvpn but what is good for voip?
I would like to try this, but is there an easy way to do this so it will appear to be the same as a normal call?
I was thinking that I could get a phone that was located at my house (with sim) which would redirect my calls to a phone I had in my pocket (wifi or 3g or something) and then still get calls on the go, and all logs on my phone carrier would show that I called to and from my home.

If this is possible, how would one go about setting this up?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-09-09-25-08.png (340 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-09-09-25-08.png
340 KB, 1080x1920
>>52316199
not him but i almost exclusively use fdroid (I think my icon pack is only exception)
>>
>>52313955

>How do you make the most out of Android?

1. Sell it for money
2. Use money to buy an iPhone :^)
>>
>>52326447
Stop this meme
>>
To get the most out of android?
I use owncloud.
This allows me to set up file sync, contact sync and calendar sync.
Emails get synced on my server before sent to my device.
I have not found a good way to do banking, read paychecks and buy train tickets without google play store but when I find a way, I will be completely google free.
>>
>>52326430
>and all logs on my phone carrier would show that I called to and from my home
What would be the benefit?
>>
>>52326559
what meme?
>>
>>52327324
F droid is a meme
>>
>>52327368
leave /g/ forever
>>
>>52315477
Are they still working on it? Latest release is from 2014.
>>
>>52327865
That's free software for u
>>
>>52322230
>neutered Quickpic
Tried using it but I switched back to the newest version. It can't handle folders with 1000+ pictures, takes a minute to load fully.
>>
>>52315328
I have an m9. You have to unlock the bootloader before you can actually root the phone. Then you can flash twrp or whatever and SuperSU to root
>>
>How do you make the most out of Android?

By removing it completely from your shitty life?
>>
>>52329026
but there aren't good alternatives
>>
>>52313955
XDA Labs is a decent app for finding useful Xposed modules, root tools, etc. Look it up, it's pretty usable.
>>
>>52327412
/G/ is also a meme
>>
>>52313955
Go to the xda forums, or lobotomize yourself... basically the same thing.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.