[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it bad that I'm going to university without a laptop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: college-laptop-classroom.jpg (60 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
college-laptop-classroom.jpg
60 KB, 500x246
Is it bad that I'm going to university without a laptop? I don't see why I'd need one.
>>
>>52285182
I like taking notes on my laptop at school as well as dicking around/researching the topic more.

I've found it invaluable but you could probably get away without one. most people that have laptops are also retards who go on facebook and don't pay attention. if you fall in that group you are better off without one.
>>
>>52285182
>Is it bad that I'm going to university without a laptop?
Yes.

Just pick up a cheap chromebook at the very least. You don;t want to be 'that guy' in your class.
>>
>>52285182
I never used one, only time I needed to was when I was working on programming on campus (not often, I work better at home), then I'd just use a usb and a computer in the lab. I don't think it's bad, you're probably learning more just taking notes traditionally.
>>
>>52285286
wtf are you talking about "that guy". when do you ever need a laptop in class?
>>
>>52285182

It really depends on what you are studying, but having a laptop will definitely give you an advantage.

I take most of my notes with pen and paper, but having a laptop open lets me quickly google stuff or type things in, or open up assignment .pdf's while the prof is going over them, or working on programming assignments in the library when I'm not at home.

I would recommend you start university without a laptop, to see if you are OK with the workload without a laptop, but have the cash ready to buy a laptop ASAP if you feel you need one.
>>
>>52285182
most profs post lecture notes online so its handy to have around if your studying n shit
>>
>>52285182
Yes.

Laptops are great for surfing the web or doing hw while the prof lectures. That time in class could easily be your most productive time.
>>
>>52285359
>studying anytime other than before an exam
You already failed.
>>
unfortunately, the lib-arts profs do everything with powerpoint and don't teach in class, so you are kinda s.o.l. ( and i don't mean 10-sparc.iso )
>>
>>52285380
>>52285380
>not paying attention in each lecture
You already failed.
>>
Don't be a fool, you won't need one.
>>
>>52285182
In class I find it very hard to use a laptop because of the tiny desks and limited space if the class is in a lecture hall. But out of class you'll be glad you got a nice laptop. You have hours to kill before your next class and you need to do something. Instead of going to the noisy computer lab (where you can't eat or drink) you can just take your laptop anywhere and start working.
I'm getting an SP4 soon so hopefully my in class experience changes.
>>
>>52285528
already had one. gimmicks/10
>>
You don't have to have a laptop. There are benefits, but you may be better off using a computer in the library or somewhere else on campus. I know my school has several labs. It helps you focus on academic things rather than fucking around.
>>
>>52285537
I'm seeing more and more people in my math classes with one writing out the equations and notes. That's my main attraction to the device.
>>
>>52285528
Lol, your school sucks. We can eat and drink in the computer lab (at least the big one). And the policy works out just fine. I've never heard of anyone ruining one of the machines.
>>
>>52285556
I've never been to a school where you were allowed to eat and drink in the computer lab. Not like anyone obeys the signs anyways.
>>
I take my laptop with me to college every day, but for the most part I take notes with a pen and paper. The only classes where it made sense to take notes on the laptop were my 100 and 200 level compE classes. I like to take notes in geany for programming stuff.
>>
>>52285182
If you're asking if you need on in class, then probably no. Though I've got one, I've never used it in class since I just take notes on A4 paper I bring or steal from random printers on campus and it's literally impossible to type up some long complex ass equation scribbled all over the board. If you're lib arts, maybe it'll help. If you want to browse internet then sure. But I don't get why the hell people come to class if they're not gonna listen to lecture. Some people complain there might be a pop quiz or something but if you can't get an A by losing usually 10% of the grade, maybe you don't really get what's going on and should listen to the lecture. Quiz grades are nothing when classes are curved like fuck in most upperdiv STEM class.
>>
>>52285383
>being this 3cool5skool
kys
>>
>>52285182
I pretty much only use a laptop in uni. Very useful.

Paper and pen too.
>>
>>52285182

Not really, depends how you learn.

I find it easier to remember something when I write it down (probably because you're going to be writing it down on the test anyways, so you already have the scene in perspective).
>>
>>52285182
At least in part because my laptop is a brick, but I stopped bringing it to class about a year ago when I got gifted a kindle. Shit's tiny, battery life lasts about a week of constant use, and holds all the textbooks I need. Plus then you won't be that retard in the second row that's always watching some livestream of LoL/DotA during class.
>>
>>52285731
You don't seem to realize how kids who get 3.5+ GPAs study, then.
>>
>>52285823
So you're saying that people that consistently study throughout the semester go worse than equally talented students who simply cram before exams? (not including smarter kids who can cram study and get a 3.5+)

>k
>>
I have a fuckhuge Thinkpad so I don't think it would be very practical.

Tbh can just use notebook + pen and computer labs or in the computer labs. Anything else seems like a pain in the ass to haul around.

And I don't even go to class desu. Too easy classes it's a waste of time.
>>
>>52285853
You student at 7 days before, each day, the opposite of cramming, and a better use of your time as you are to understand the material when you learn it, not memorize it, because you won't.

Dumb motherfucker, you are.
>>
>>52285853
you aren't actually learning shit if you cram2pass

this has been proven many times over by neuroscientist.

enjoy not getting promoted
>>
It might be useful for some classes. Simple things like English and lib arts stuff. But I've also used them for upper division EE courses (EMF Theory, we did a lot of matlab stuff). But other than that, I mostly do all my notes on paper (although if I feel the material is VERY important) I re-do the notes later that day on the computer.
>>
Probably not

At the end of the day you get out what you put in though
>>
You need a laptop, here's why:

1. library is crammed full of niggers - you can use wifi

2. need a pdf during lecture because you didn't read it before class?

3. need to submit an assignment that you didn't do before class, during class? Now you can nigger.

4. need to get together for faggoty ass group assignments to work on a gay ass powerpoint, now you can nigger.

5. want to record the lecture because the professor is a boring faggot? Now you can, nigger.

Taking notes on a laptop can be hard if you aren't a fast typer, but some computers allow you to write on the screen...

Also, writing your notes out and typing them into a study guide to eventually read before the test will boost your grade.

I wish there was a faster way to take notes with a laptop during class. writing into msword sucks and is slow. Writing on the screen with a stylus is a no-go for me because I have a shit computer.

gl faggots
>>
>>52285586
I've been drinking vodka in the computer lab and no one gave a fuck. There are signs saying no drinking so I suppose strictly speaking it isn't ok.
>>
File: Magtheridon's_face.jpg (26 KB, 174x182) Image search: [Google]
Magtheridon's_face.jpg
26 KB, 174x182
>bring laptop to the class
>fire up my openSuse
>all the girls get instantly wet when I browse through the terminal with a lightning speed
>they call me LinusTechTips
>get an earring to assert my dominance

In reality, I just write all notes down on an a4 and transfer them from the paper to computer using LateX. I'm an autist, like that.
>>
>>52285892
Hila <3
>>
>>52286224
2) then read the pdf the day before faggot
3) why didn't you do it earlier faggot
4) use school computers/your own at home/print that shit

so your premise to why one should buy a laptop is that you need to be a stupid cunt?
>>
I would argue that taking notes does distract you from the lecture. I would rather be 100% focus in the lecture, and then look at the lecture notes (PowerPoint) before the exam.

But a laptop is pretty useful, just buy a used X-series Thinkpad or a Chromebook.
>>
>>52288389
I agree unless you analyze what they're trying to say. Lots of people focus more on copying than listening. That's stupid.

Each to their own though.
>>
>>52288546
I guess it depends on the kind of lecture/lecturer you have too. Some just read the slides, some tries to involve the students.
>>
Unless you have classes where you're actively coding (or other work) during the class (tutorials maybe...) then you can get away without one. But it would be more convenient to be able to work on things while at school (between classes and such).

I got one as a physics major, basically never ended up even using it and stopped taking it. Apart from using excel to input lab data (which I never even did, but probably would be a time saver if prepared before-hand) I never had a need for one. Even my programming classes were mostly theory and on paper, only having to actually compile anything for homework (even then, it was Fortran so you could probably compile it on paper anyway).
>>
>>52288696
what kind of programming classes do you have? We have 3-4 projects every semester for each class, which is around 1000 LOC each.
>>
>>52285182
Op, I know i'll get destroyed for sharing my opinion , but I think you'd be better without a laptop. I found that taking notes with an actual pen on a real copybook will make you understand and remember better your notes.
>>
>>52285182

>Is it bad that I'm going to university

Yes, it is.
>>
I never ever have my laptop out during lecture. Ever. I paid for shitty lecture, not gonna Facebook through it.

You retain the information better writing it down on a notebook anyhow (vs digital note taking)
>>
>>52288877
> Paying for Uni
> Living in BurgerLand
>>
>>52288902
>>52288877
>b-but I get better education cause it costs shitloads, r-right ?
When will burgerpeople learn?
>>
It depends on the subject you are on. If you have to draw stuff or take a lot of math formulas, you better take pen and paper.

If you are using windows, OneNote plus an online cloud sync are great tools. If you are good with keyboard commands, you could learn some commands of OneNote to improve your performance.

Also, I recommend you to start uploading every note you take to Dropbox, Drive or whatever you want, it's quite useful if you have multiple devices.

For classes, if you feel like you can't get everything from the professor, just record the class even if it's that legal and use the record track while you are revising the unit/topic to complete your notes.

Best wishes in your degree.
>>
>>52285182

If you don't see why you need one, then you probably don't need one. Just go to university without one and see how it is. It's never too late to get a laptop in a realistic sense. Depending on your uni, you can probably easily do all of your school work on the school computers.

It's just that with a laptop, it's more convenient if you have it already in your backpack. Instead of going to an open computer lab or the library, you can just do it on your laptop. Whatever it is, it's just less time wasting finding a workstation to do work on, and more time doing things when you're mobile. If you have a desktop at your dorm/home, factor in the amount of time it takes to get to it.

Like it really depends on whatever you are doing in uni, what program, and how things are, etc. Some courses might require a laptop in class, or it would be easier to write the notes with a laptop. For some courses, it's easier to use a tablet (like a Surface) to handwrite notes digitally or on paper.

A lot of uni's have their stuff up online and sometimes it's only online. You would have to print everything if you wanted the notes or material in front of you. Or rewrite it by hand. Or get a tablet and view it there. Or view it on your phone.

For my situation, I just have a 13 inch ultrabook so I can quickly pull it out and write an email to someone. It's also easier to just have everything open and ready to go than pulling it up all on my phone. Some of the classrooms don't have space for a big laptop so I got a small one for it. It's really lightweight and the battery life is pretty good. It's the HP Spectre x360, it's one of those 2 in 1 laptops that can be a tablet but it feels awkward in the hand that way.
>>
>>52286224
1) go to the computer labs elsewhere instead if you can
2) printers still exist you know
3) plan ahead instead?
4) ok this one's a good one, typically everyone else in the group has a laptop to work collaboratively on something. When you are the only one without one, it's awkward as fuck.
5) phone?

>>52288321
2) some profs don't upload it until the day of, or even literally 2 minutes before class
3) people are lazy shits
4) if you factor in the amount of time it takes to find a school computer to use, or to go to your dorm room or home to do work, it can be a lot of wasted time vs. if you had a laptop to just do the damn work there and then.

In a realistic sense, it just depends on whatever the hell their school situation is. Laptops can be super useful and save your ass if let's say the entire school computer login system is broken. That's happened a few times and I'm here with my laptop laughing at everyone in the library.
>>
>>52286303
>Magtheridon's_face.jpg
nostalgia af
ty anon
>>
>>52285314
Not really. He >>52285286
is just insecure that people will find it strange and maybe ask him why he isn't using a laptop, and god forbid he has then to open his mouth an interact with actual people.
People don't give a shit usually, if somebody of your friends as, a "i just dont need one" is the perfect answer.
Bonus points if you start pretending you are typing and continue to do so for the rest of the lecture, just to amuse your faggot friends.
>>
>>52285182
I got my master degree in CS back in 1996 without one. So yeah if you are in the 90's don't worry, otherwise it IS 2016, you should probably get one.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.