[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I ask here for solutions to upgrade my PC?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: w-running.jpg (79 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
w-running.jpg
79 KB, 1024x768
Can I ask here for solutions to upgrade my PC?
>>
>>52246354
go ahead
>>
File: 1430252297164.gif (873 KB, 346x360) Image search: [Google]
1430252297164.gif
873 KB, 346x360
I don't know why but this sounds like something a middle aged businessperson who doesn't actually want to learn anything about computers would ask
>>
File: SETUP.jpg (391 KB, 1658x833) Image search: [Google]
SETUP.jpg
391 KB, 1658x833
>>52246379
This is my setup, I want to know where I can improve.

I'm looking for less vent noise while playing video games, CPU is at 60-70% RAM at 4Go usage,

PC is dust clean, 2 years old approx.
>>
>>52246354
don't ask to ask, this is your personal support
>>
File: Capture.png (95 KB, 270x249) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
95 KB, 270x249
>>52246524
>AMD processor
>Nvidia graphics card

Frankly, you should just make a new build when Pascal comes out later this year.
>>
>>52246548
Please explain.

I didn't create this setup.
>>
>>52246524
Are you running with the stock AMD cooler? Get the Noctua NH-D14 if you can afford it, the Cooler Master 212 EVO if you can't.
>>
>>52246620

I got a cooler master stuck to the amd, but I can't tell what model it is, because i'm not at home
>>
>>52246620
>Noctua NH-D14
plus, I can afford like 500-600€ spend cash for upgrade.
>>
>>52246654
If it gets loud because of temps, try adding a fan to your case.
>>
>>52246734
I got two fans in my case, one on the back and one in the front. sorry for not having a pic plus names.

Will getting more RAM will help? Or 2 graphic cards instead of one?
>>
>>52246773
Help with what?
>>
>>52246802

the CPU activity.

When I play, I hit 60-70% of CPU activity. I want to lower it down, thus less boiling
>>
>>52246860
Nigga you want it higher
>>
>>52246877

not an obligation, it's just that i got the cash for solutions may not be normally advised because of the cost

but i'll pay for the >>52246620 Noctua NH-D14
>>
File: Untitled.png (17 KB, 404x442) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17 KB, 404x442
>>52246860
Under advanced power options, lower your Maximum Processor State to 80%.
>>
>>52246891
Senpai the cooler is whatever if your not overclocking but the more activity means less cpu bottleneck you want more
>>
>>52246579
You have an eight core amd processor and a nvidea graphics card. If you want to upgrade now get a new graphics card. What motherboard do you have ?
>>
>>52246860
Than get a better cooler? Your build is fine(cough AMD cough). Tbh, I recommend just selling the cpu and mobo and getting an Intel i5 haswell chip. I bought an 8320 for 130 bucks almost 3 years ago and sold it for 110 a few weeks ago. The best thing about pcs is that you can sell your parts to offset the cost of upgrading. Intel 3570k still costs nearly 200 dollars these days and people still buy them. Meanwhile you can get the newer cpu for 200 dollars as well.
I'm telling you, the difference between using an Intel chip and the AMD equivalent is pretty big. My frames don't dip anymore and there's no stuttering. I think my 8320 even with an overclock of 4.5ghz couldn't handle my dual gpu setups. The lowest I had were gtx 770s and even than, it was clear the amd chip was bottlenecking them.
So it's either you buy a nice cooler and overclock your cpu to like 4.7 4.8 ghz for some more performance and sell the chip/mobo later OR sell now and get a 4690k or non k chip if you don't want to overclock.
As for the gpu you can keep it. I don't recommend getting another even though they are pretty cheap on eBay. There's just too much heat and noise generated by going SLI. Only liquid cooling them can really remedy the problems with SLI. Another thing is that game devs are fucking lazy and now more and more AAA games are being released with no SLI support. Fallout 4 and just cause 3 didn't have and you only got single gpu performance from the games. Keep the 760 and sell it later once the new gpus(pascal etc) have a release date.
>>
>>52246917
> if your not overclocking

I never touched that

>>52246932

gigabyte 990xa - ud3
>>
>good CPU air cooler (Noctua NH D14/15 for example)
>good case fans (preferably 140mm at lower RPM, Noctua and Silent Wings 2 are really good)
>'quiet', windowless PC case (Define r4/r5, define S etc.), keep the top and side vents closed
>non-reference GPU (Asus, MSI etc.) and keep it below ~50% fan speed at load
>good quality PSU (reduces coil whine for both GPU and the PSU itself), Seasonic G series, XFX XTR series, EVGA G2 and P2 series etc.
That's mostly it. There's not much else you can do to silence your PC.
>>
Jezus, why do people buy AMD FX even if an old i7 920 is better than this? In games, oc'd 920 is as good as stock i5 Haswell and a used one with mobo costs half of the i5's price.
>>
>>52247080
So would you get a 4790k or a 4690k? Let's say price difference is 70 bucks. Do you think the i7 would be worth it or do you think getting an i5 and overclocking it would be pretty much the same.?
>>
>>52246773
8gb ram is sufficient if you really want to upgrade now get a r9 380x
And what are your cpu temps while playing games?
>>52247112
If you upgrade your cpu and buy a new one get an i5 the i7 is just not necessary
If you buy a used one get an older I 7

Are you watercooling?
>>
It all depends on what you do with your pc. I've recently bought a used i7 920 because of its performance in games even though it was introduced in late 2008. I am well aware that any modern cpu will be sufficient for gaming for a long time cause next gen consoles suck in terms of computing power. Even your FX should be OK for now but you could have bought a better cpu - again, 920s had a huge price drop after they were abandoned by Intel so they cost almost nothing. I got a used mobo and cpu for like 120$. But price is what matters to me.
>>
>>52247147
Of course I'm wstercooling, AMD cpus are hot as fuck. I just can't decide on CPUs right now. The i7 is calling my name but everyone's like it's not worth it since I don't so any editing or whatever. I guess I'll save money and get the i5 than and try and push it as far as possible.
>>
>>52247112
It depends whether the programs you use support 8 threads or not. In games, for instance, the support is pretty bad and you don't experience any improvement worth the price. This is not the case with professional cpu dependant programs, however.
>>
>>52247233
Thanks for the input. One if the most important things for me is emulating as some friends and family still come over to play some emulated wii/gc games. Although it was pretty playable on my amd cpu, there were slight stutters along the way. Very annoying when it's a competitive game too. An Intel cpu is always recommended for emulating those types of games so I'm hoping the i5 can handle it all with 0 problems.
Like everyone pretty much says, I don't do any editing or crazy intensive tasks other than gaming. The only other programs I use are AutoCAD and multisim which are definitely not that stressful for modern cpus.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.