[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning to program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: old_nigga.jpg (236 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
old_nigga.jpg
236 KB, 620x387
>27 year old, no college, semi-NEET doing nothing with my life
>was good at math in school but didn't apply myself at all
>shit at science

Is learning to program (at an employable level) without college even possible? Last year I did Code Academy's Python course, along with most of LPTHW and some checkio exercises, but quickly reached the point of not knowing what to do next and just stopped altogether. There's such a wealth of learning materials; books, courses, etc that I think I just got a bit overwhelmed. So I ask, /g/, can it really be done?
>>
well yes if you have a great portfolio, all you have to do is prove that you're capable, that's what degrees are for and stuff. start with a good book.
>>
>>52243840
are you talking about codemonkey level ?
yeah, no need for college for that, but python won't get you anywhere.
your best bet would be getting a good book on algorithms and data structures, and learn a language like java or c/c++
>>
>>52243872

Would the books in the wiki be a good place to start even though I'm essentially a complete noob?
>>
>>52243885

Thanks for the reply. Why do you say python won't get you anywhere? Not that I'm agreeing/disagreeing, just curious. But yea, I'm more interested in checking out C now, anyway.
>>
>>52243959
you use python for quick and dirty shit but not actual programming. just like you use bash or perl.

C is a great language and you'll learn a lot, but there aren't (m)any codemonkey jobs for C.
>>
>>52243840
>semi-NEET
isn't that a bit like saying you're "a little bit pregnant"? you either are or aren't.
>>
>>52244197
>you use python for quick and dirty shit but not actual programming
I think that is a matter of perspective.

Also, OP, the best thing to do is to learn by doing. it's very difficult to find motivation to learn a programming language just because you have nothing better to do. Find a project and get stuck in it.

Yeah there will obviously be a lot of times where you have absolutely fuckall idea what you're doing but that's just part of learning.

Learning C may be more difficult but it's a solid foundation that teaches good programming practices in general. As opposed to programming languages such as Python. Python is fantastic if you've already gotten to grips with programming on a fundamental level and you've now identified that Python would be the best for the job.

It is difficult to get into the industry seeing as there are so many fuckers doing it but nothing trumps being a cool guy to work with. You'll get hired far quicker if you're liked than if you're a basement dweller.
>>
>>52243840
You can pretty much learn anything without going to college besides, maybe something like actual strain analysis lab for aerodynamics engineer or some shit.

But people goto college since realistically, it's much better off to learn stuff by going to an institution designed to do the exact thing and courses written pretty much the masters in the field.

You can still go to college in your age. Might as well just go unless you really have a tough financial situation. Also, 95% of the people who claim to be good at math/science quickly realize they're really not good at it by their first upper div courses so good way to find that out too.

If you're really adamant about not going, try Coursera and EdX.
>>
>>52244347
>Also, 95% of the people who claim to be good at math/science quickly realize they're really not good at it by their first upper div courses
this is more true than people realise. It's like that old man who keeps talking about how well he played football in high school. Shit is over. No you're not good anymore.
>>
>>52244332
>I think that is a matter of perspective.
i've hardly ever seen python anywhere outside of PoC code and small scripts for specific tasks
>>
>>52244197
This >>52244332

C's great for things like trying to program micro controller or make a high speed backend programs and things or something where high speed is crucial but contrary to what most of /g/'s self proclaimed 18 year old hackers think, python's used extensively in scientific computation, its theory, machine language, computer vision, lot's of R&D stuff where people shouldn't focus on system practicality yet. Heck, even google, the guys who made the program use it.
>>
>>52244404
>i've hardly ever seen python anywhere outside of PoC code and small scripts for specific tasks
we must work in different industries. Granted I don't write that much code anymore. I mainly use it to maintain servers, run administrative tasks etc.

It's not going to be used for full blown desktop applications but I have seen some very interesting engineering computations being done with it (yeah, C/C++ should be used, just saying).
>>
>>52244411
>>52244411
>python's used extensively in scientific computation, its theory, machine language, computer vision, lot's of R&D stuff
I feel this gets lost amongst a lot of /g/. They just know what they read in articles about Python and see a few benchmarks and proclaim it to be shit.
>>
>>52244411
see >>52244404
yeah, it's heavily used in academia/scientific stuff, for proof of concept code or quick scripts, but thats completely unrelated to coding jobs
>>
>>52244431
>I mainly use it to maintain servers, run administrative tasks etc.
yeah, by my definition thats quick n dirty shit. scripts for automation and stuff, just like bash scripting.
>>
>>52244482
yeah, I agree with you to a certain extent. Perhaps we have different terminology. None the less, both python and C have it's place in the world. Dismissing an entire programming language is a little naive so i wouldn't really want to venture into that territory.
>>
>>52244464
Yeah, in the context of what OP's looking for as a job, being a practical programmer, you're absolutely right.

I just get tired of /g/'s hurrrrduurrrrrrrr python's shittttt, people should never code in python, use C faggot always code elite (whatever that is) attitude.
Like >>52244507
says, each language has their own strength and python's definitely good at python's things and C/C++ at their C/C++ thing, that's why I use both of them for their specific task.

But yeah, I acted impulsively thinking it was another one of those "people should never use python for their first language or anything " /thread.
>>
>>52244507
>None the less, both python and C have it's place in the world.
i completely agree with that

we use python a lot too, mainly for quick scripts for stuff you just don't want to deal with in c, or a lot of proof of concept code.

but if you are looking for programming jobs there are other languages you should focus on ( ofc python is used there too for unit tests, or quick implementtions to test some other applications, etc)
>>
>>52244374

>mfw always told myself I'm shit at math.
>went ahead and got a math minor to accompany my cs degree

Top kek
>>
>without college

You'll need 4-5 years of experience for most jobs with no degree. Which is their way of saying "we don't want people without degrees."

2 years experience with a bachelors, but waiverable with a nice portfolio.

Masters degree basically takes no experience.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.