[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A portable creative beast?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: gaming-laptops.jpg (93 KB, 616x410) Image search: [Google]
gaming-laptops.jpg
93 KB, 616x410
So I slapped together my first self-constructed desktop PC, and it runs like an absolute dream.

A very stationary 2-foot tall fifty pound dream.

I find myself missing the portability of a laptop for work purposes especially since I plan on being on the road a good bit soon, and I was wondering if anyone had some advice for what kind of laptop would be best for:

- Video and audio editing
- 2d/3d Animation
- Digital sketching/painting
- and gaming of course.

Kind of a mixed work/entertainment machine.

I've been looking at the MSI GT72 or possibly the workstation WT72 with the Quadro graphics card, but I'm not sure which would be better. Also considering the Alienware 17 or the latest Asus ROG.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What's the best portable gaming and creative device out there?
>>
if money is not am issue why not the cintiq companion 2?
>>
I do like the cintiq companion, but I'm looking for something to replace the desktop as my primary computer, so I need the storage and power of a full laptop instead of the tablet.
>>
> Video and audio editing
>2d/3d Animation
> Digital sketching/painting
>and gaming of course.

what kind of retarded laptop do you want ?
>jack of all trades, master of none
>>
>>52242377
Pretty much, yes.
>>
I'm using an Alienware 17 right now. I've been with Alienware for a while but this might be the end for me. Dell fucked them over long ago. The laptops feel nicer than anything else on the market, but just like my M17x before this one it's got....problems. Don't bother.
>>
You know, either your new laptop won't have as good performance as your desktop, or it will weight so much that it's not much different in portability from a desktop.
And it will cost significantly more while not being upgradeable.
>>
Whatever $3000 ASUS ROG shit is out there.

Enjoy your 1 and a half hour battery life bro!
>>
>>52242712
Powerful laptops don't need long battery life because you shouldn't even be using them without a plug nearby anyway. They are not portable in the way you can use them anywhere. They are just easier to carry around compared to a whole desktop setup, to a friends house, a library or something and most importantly your home. it's much more flexible than a tower to use on a couch or on a bed while still plugged in. and that's how it should be compared, to a desktop computer and not real portable laptops. Keep this in mind OP if you want true portability, or partial.
>>
>>52242531
>it's got....problems.
RIke what?
>>
>>52244331
>>52242531
Considering an Alienware 15 so I would like to know this as well.
>>
>>52244916
>>52244331
Ditto.

All laptops have "problems" over time. Maybe you drop it, bump it or live in a humid environment. Maybe the parts are cheap and wear out.
That's why, over the past 15 years I've had 5, two of which are still in working order.

If they didn't develop problems I'd still be using the same 2000 model toshiba satellite.

>>52242531
So are these problems inherent to the system or just the aforementioned generic laptop "problem"?

So are these problems
>>
>>52242603
Yep, I know. It's still worth it to me to be able to bring it to work, or on the road when I travel.

>>52242845
I don't plan on using it far from a plug, and yeah, being able to move it around the house is helpful too for me, so I can get it between the living room for movie and the home studio for work.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.