[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
php
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: tmp_11704-php-logo1315452349.png (152 KB, 2000x1060) Image search: [Google]
tmp_11704-php-logo1315452349.png
152 KB, 2000x1060
/g/ what's your opnion on php
>>
>>52236227

Functional, but messy and easy to write total shit with it.
>>
>>52236419
this, it's not too bad

too many shitty and insecure tutorials on the internet, but you can produce some quality stuff if you want
>>
>>52236419
You literally just described every language.
>>
it's really okay, especially when you're just getting into webprogramming etc.. but after having changed to asp.net/c# I really don't miss php.
>>
>>52236227

Pretty huggable person desu
>>
>>52236449
No.
>>
>>52236227
let it die
>>
>/g/ what's your opnion on php
let me put it this way, I just tried to change the title of the PHP article on wikipedia to "metastatic cancer"
>>
>>52236419
>easy to write total shit with it
that applies for everything faggot
>>52236227
Its doing the job for which was created
>>
>>52236227
PHP is fine
just remember to use a framework ALWAYS
>>
Once you get past all the different names on functions and shit it's alright.

Just don't mix it with windows and everything is pretty smooth.
>>
>>52236227
After years of using it I thought 5.x was a leap forward but 7.0 is just great, check it out.
>>
>>52236227
It is alright for server side fun, but timeconsuming to develop and debug compared to better languages as c#/asp.NET. Don't use it for large project.

a very long article why php is bad designed:
http://eev DOT ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
>>
>>52236868
>>52236453
both of you mention c#/asp.net and i'm just starting to learn c#, what'd you guys learn asp.net with?
>>
>>52236900
It's basically C# with the "extension" asp.NET
So you write bits of c# code into html templates. If you know c# you know asp.NET

I've just started to code a webpage, I've never used books or tutorials to learn a language.
>>
>>52236900
If you're a student, you can join the microsoft dreamspark programm, and can deploy a webpage for free with asp.NET. try it out
>>
>>52236868
here are plenty of similar papers on how bad is C# too
>>
File: php.jpg (139 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
php.jpg
139 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>52236227
the only language that I've been able to understand and use
quite sure I belong at reddit :^)
>>
>>52236997
>:)
Worse than Hitler desu.
>>
>>52236227
it's a programming language, not that much different from other programming languages. it works for a lot of things, even large things. especially when you use a sane framework.
>>
>>52236991
I'm sure there are, I don't say c# is perfect. I personally did not like asp.NET that much, it still felt kind of messy, but this may very well have been my fault, because I'm not that experienced in it.
>>
File: aAY28.png (12 KB, 565x365) Image search: [Google]
aAY28.png
12 KB, 565x365
I wish php would die
>>
>>52236227
What I like:

It's easy to write. I mainly write PHP object oriented style and enjoy it for the most part.

It's well supported, you can almost guarantee your web host supports PHP.

It's affordable to host.

PHP 7 is a brilliant release with some great performance enhancements.

What I don't like:

The standard library is garbage. Some of it is object oriented, others is procedural. Some of the API methods are camelcase, others are delimiter separated. No consistency at all.

A lot of tutorials on the web are outdated but that's not the languages fault.

http://www.phptherightway.com/ is a great site for following best practices and has helped me a lot when I started off.
>>
>>52239507
That entire site could be replaced with "just use laravel"
>>
It's slow, has a lot of code pollution (unnecessary key symbology), prefixed variables are horrible, weak/dynamic typing is overrated, it promotes bad programming practises (html in the backend code) and it's slow.

The worst part is that the only advantage people who use it give are either completely personal (yeah well it works FOR ME, it's my favourite language) or an obscene argumentum ad populum about how so or so site written in the early 00s uses it, as if any language needs to be any more popular than C# or python to be easy to use with the right Google foo.

Basically, its horrible but people are willfully ignorant about why.

If you want an easy language for a backend, use python, you can even get into mezzanine instead of WordPress. If you want a fast language for a backend (without getting into the compiled languages), use C# or Java. PHP is... Well, pointless.

Disclaimer, I'm Australian and literally can't access WordPress sites when I'm capped.
>>
>>52240220
Except la ravel has a huge performance impact, which is devastating to an already slow language. HHVM helps but besides that one extremely questionable benchmark it's still an order of double digits times slower than plenty of other languages, a single kid using ab could completely dos your site on his own, not even needing loic or zombies.

That's why you need a fast site even if you have few viewers.
>>
We need a C library which wraps over FastCGI. Make it actually usable for web servers.
>>
>>52236419
If is shit, is because is the way you write your code
>>
>>52240876
>>52240876
Why not just use fastcgi? For a C/C++ veteran it's actually not that difficult to use.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.