[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raspberry Pi Thread/Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: Raspberry_Pi_Logo.svg.png (87 KB, 810x1024) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry_Pi_Logo.svg.png
87 KB, 810x1024
I want a raspberry pi to use as a media pc (web browsing, videos, music, etc.) but don't know what exactly to buy. What model should I get and what accessories should I buy along with it.
>>
>>52236113
>I want a raspberry pi to use as a media pc (web browsing, videos, music, etc.) but don't know what exactly to buy.

Probably a Raspberry Pi.

>What model should I get

The latest one.

>and what accessories should I buy along

Peripherals n shieet.
>>
>>52236113
Ethernet cable

Pi B 2

Keyboard/mouse (if you are going to use the desktop). A usb wifi dongle is also nice. Get a good 2A micro usb charger (you shitty phone charger is not going to perform well). Make sure the cable is not too long.

Use the latest Raspbian Jessie (I highly recommend the minimal build).
>>
>>52236113
Picture 2 b for processing, hdmi cable. Install crunchbang
>>
I think you should get the Raspberry Pi 2 and just search for guides on the net. There's dozens of step by step guides already.
>>
>>52236113

What was wrong with every single tutorial on the web that you had to come here and ask?

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>
File: plus2_shuoming_en.png (969 KB, 1000x1550) Image search: [Google]
plus2_shuoming_en.png
969 KB, 1000x1550
>>52236113
Orange pi plus 2 would be the better choice for that.
It even has sata so you can store your files on a hard drive, and gigabit ethernet.
Also built in wifi.
Pic related.
>>
>>52236113
You can also buy sets that include all the basics you may need (Pi 2 Model B, HDMI Cable, Power Supply, Case, Dongle, etc). Something like the following.

http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-9-Items/dp/B008XVAVAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451946696&sr=8-2&keywords=raspberry+pi+2+model+b+kit

So you'd at least have that covered. As far as the HTPC question, I know they have a distro of xmbc that you can install on it.

http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry-pi-xbmc-with-raspbmc/

I bought the same set btw. Currently have rasbian. Pretty fun little box, but I'm aiming to use it to learn more about electronics cause I know jack shit about it.
>>
>>52236307
This looks good
>>
File: HTB133MkJXXXXXc.aXXXq6xXFXXXK.jpg (170 KB, 680x943) Image search: [Google]
HTB133MkJXXXXXc.aXXXq6xXFXXXK.jpg
170 KB, 680x943
>>52236422
There's also a $15 version.

The allwinner h3 is more powerful than whatever the rpi uses, it can even decode 4k.

I'm waiting for an orange pi oc in the mail, not sure what to expect but it was only 15 dollars.

If you want to use it as a pc though I'd recommend the orange pi plus 2
>>
>>52236685
>>52236307
What's the differences between the Pi 2B from Adafruit and the Orange pi plus 2? Aside from the number and variation of ports.
>>
File: rpi.jpg (32 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
rpi.jpg
32 KB, 470x313
>>52236889
The orange pi plus is using a 1.6ghz quad core processor, has 2gb ram, 5 usb ports, built in wifi, sata 2, gigabit lan, 8GB flash memory for your os.

iirc the rpi is only megabit lan and shares the bandwidth with the usb controller.
It has 1gb ram, quad core 0.9ghz processor, 4 usb ports, no sata, no wifi, have to boot from micro sd.
The rpi gets better community support, but that doesn't mean it's nonexistent for the orange pi plus 2. It's just a much better product for the price you pay.
>>
>>52236998
How necessary is a heatsink for a pi? I saw one linked previously, but didn't think that they put out a worrying amount of heat.
>>
File: water cooled rpi.jpg (18 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
water cooled rpi.jpg
18 KB, 443x332
>>52238881
It's not necessary but it's good for it.
I think they go up to 80 degrees iirc.
I ordered my orange pi pc with the case, going to mount a heatsink on the pi and a tiny fan on the top of the case.
I intend to try to overclock it. At stock clocks it gets around 17, 000 in antutu.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.