[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Internet Addiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
File: 20160104.Internet-Addiction.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160104.Internet-Addiction.png
1 MB, 1280x720
What do you guys think about Internet Addiction? Is it real? If so, do you think YOU are personally affected by it? https://youtu.be/os2kWzBaMog
>>
>>52235916
I think people really trivialize addiction with these. I definitely 'have it' but I don't like classifying it as a real addiction.

>inb4 that's exactly what an addict would say.
>>
File: sage.jpg (60 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
sage.jpg
60 KB, 640x512
Fuck off land whale
>>
>>52235948
when i had to go to the hospital for a month, i didn't have any internet. i actually got physical withdrawal symptoms, my doctors thought i was a drug user at first. it's real.

but i honestly don't see how you can not be addicted to the internet or that it is a bad thing. you have the knowledge of the entire human race at your fingertips. only idiots wouldn't want to get as much information at possible. in addition to that you can communicate with other people 24/7 and you have endless entertainment.
>>
Anything that brings you enjoyment or distraction is addictive to a small extent. You can get "addicted" to internet, riding a bike, masturbating, reading comics, but that doesn't mean any of those things are addictive. In other words yes it exists but it's not new news and its not remotely an issue for anyone except those who don't have their shit together enough to handle it
>>
>>52235916
her voice made me relaxed as fuck

kinda sexy
>>
>>52235916
I was addicted back when I visited forums a lot. Then 4chan came and I had a period where I was somewhat addicted to twitter and facebook.
Now I just check facebook a couple of times a day for a few seconds because everything in my timeline is always shit anyway and I spend the rest of the time on 4chan.

Thing is, now that 4chan is basically all that I keep up with on the internet, it's becoming kinda boring as well so I have days I barely come here either.

I don't think I'm addicted anymore. Kinda tired of the internet actually. At least in the sense of hanging around on it all day, which feels like a massive waste of time (still happens a lot though).
>>
>>52235916
It depends because if I actually have a more fun alternative or something better to do, then I wont be on the internet. So am I addicted? If there is nothing else to do then im stuck on the internet 24/7
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (15 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
15 KB, 600x600
>>52235916
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE GGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
>>
>>52235916
>Is it real?

I wouldn't call it real since getting cut off won't give you any physical withdrawal symptoms.
>>
>>52236305
Also on a side note, does internet addiction involve everything that uses the internet? from smart phones to video games?
>>
>>52236127
Your a dumbass. I went 15months without internet and TV (could only watch movies) and No withdrawals. Nice Bait though !!!
>>
Internet addiction is what fuels my paycheck
>>
w-will you be my girlfriend?
>>
>>52236264
hello, are you me?
>>
>>52235916
I contemplated whether I was addicted to the internet but I think my issue is more with timewasting, specifically on the computer.

I recently got into counter-strike and played about 20 hours this past week. I played Fallout 4 for ~80 hours. But when there is no game I'm interested in, I'll browse the internet for hours on end instead. And if the internet is down, I'll usually end up re-wiring or configuring something on or off the computer.

I get addicted to lots of things which all have in common the fact that they are a complete waste of time but I don't think the Internet is the only contributor.
>>
I'm pretty sure I'm addicted

I've been browsing for about 10 hours a day since at least 2010. Nothing but drugs could get me the same level of satisfaction, I guess
>>
>>52235916
I want normies to leave /g/
>>
>>52236264
Chronic addict. You're the most dangerous case. You can't separate yourself from the web. Get help anon.
>>
>>52236774
The only help I need is for Hiroyuki to kill 4chan.
>>
>>52236625
Procrastinator. Next time you find yourself bored, look around and ask yourself, is there anything that needs doing?
>>
I'm almost always lurking 4chan, but I could give up the Internet if I was stuck in a place without it and something else to do all day
>>
File: hi9magR.jpg (74 KB, 855x746) Image search: [Google]
hi9magR.jpg
74 KB, 855x746
Yeah I think I am. I am trying to tone down the symptoms because I've reached a state where I think I don't have control over my life anymore.

I still want to enjoy digital entertainment, especially movies and games, but I'm about to stop myself from browsing the web for hours on end.

Because I actually think it was fun, but it's really no fun at all. The time would be better spent just reading a book or watching a movie for 2 hourse, because then I get actually relaxed and enjoy myself.

4chan and other browsing in general is just procrastination, negative reinforcement and lack of self control.
I don't want to blame 4chan because I know if it wasn't for 4chan I would browse other dumb shit.

So I experimented for a few weeks and blocked all sites except the ones I really need (like university management page and wikipedia).

What I noticed first, was that WHILE getting more productive and happier, I still wasted a lot of time on wikipedia.

Second, it was good for ~5 days, then I tried to actively evade my own block, e.g. browsing 4chan on my phone, pretty much ending up where I left.

So I lifted the ban and just tried to be more self controlled, like "do 30 minutes of 4chan and then STOP". It's been working better for the past weeks.

See, usually after writing a post like these I would wait for answers basically until the thread is archived. I'm currently 10 minutes in my own 30 minutes time limit and even if there's no (you) after 20 minutes, I'm just going to shut off.

I hope this helps me slowly regain control of my behaviour. I'm not lying, I am actually feeling happier already, even though I've only been doing this for ~10 days-
>>
>>52236127
>that it is a bad thing
Too much of anything is a bad thing. No one needs that much information, especially when it gets in the way of other aspects of your life. As with anything balance is key.
>>
File: 1447109899572.png (1 MB, 880x759) Image search: [Google]
1447109899572.png
1 MB, 880x759
>>52235916
>top book: India
>>
File: 1451864157146.jpg (21 KB, 499x492) Image search: [Google]
1451864157146.jpg
21 KB, 499x492
>>52235916
>Facebook
>Instagram
>Twitter
>>
File: Living_in_a_black_hole..jpg (3 MB, 4000x2672) Image search: [Google]
Living_in_a_black_hole..jpg
3 MB, 4000x2672
>tfw this picture and filename are all to familiar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_addiction_disorder
>>
>>52236864
Good advice anonkun
>>
>>52236888
What a fucking shithole. You couldn't pay me to go to India.
>>
>>52236799
there are other chans you could go to
>>
File: 1448066287627.jpg (272 KB, 953x1200) Image search: [Google]
1448066287627.jpg
272 KB, 953x1200
This is the first time I've heard the term internet addiction and hopefully the last. People who supposedly have these meme "addictions" like sex addiction etc, imo have underlying mental health issues, a complete lack of discipline and maturity, or a combination thereof.
>>
I'm pretty sure I'm addicted. I spend large amounts of time wasting time on the Internet on my phone, laptop, and desktop. Part of me just wishes I could go back in time and not have to deal with any technology or the internet. Everything now is so fast paced and everything is shoved in our faces 24/7. I don't even know what I could do for a living that doesn't require me to use the Internet or computer all the time.

The world is literally being cucked by the Internet.
>>
File: why.jpg (27 KB, 357x371) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
27 KB, 357x371
Why do they do these?

Psuedointellectuals always have these shits.
>>
>>52235916
Who is that cute fattie?
>>
>>52240072
Yeah addictions are just manifestations of bigger mental problems.

Nevertheless the never ending stream of information is particularly dangerous.

You can't have sex all the time, you can't drink alcohol all the time, you will eventually get bored by certain video games etc. which actually forces people to think over what they're doing again

But you can basically sit in front of a computer screen all day and never get bored. it becomes dull and you're never really excited, but your brains hunger for distraction (from whatever your problem is) will be constantly satisfied

Not that this justifies the reasons, it just makes the symptoms more dangerous
>>
yes 4 chan is my life
>>
>>52235916
broke up with my girlfriend so I could spend more time online with you guys.
>>
>>52235916
I spent four days in rural Ireland with no internet last week and was jonesing pretty hard to be honest familia. Fresh country air is no substitute for shitposting on /g/.
>>
File: 1434091164198.jpg (89 KB, 1034x1053) Image search: [Google]
1434091164198.jpg
89 KB, 1034x1053
>>52236864
good strat.
>>
I'm not going to take addication advice from a woman who is clearly addicted to eating.
>>
>>52240535
Yeah, definitely some merit to what you're saying. I distract myself with the internet and vidya to escape the reality of my failing college career and poor mental health, so I understand this first hand.
>>
>>52236929
>mfw that's my computer too and I'm using it right now...
>>
>>52235916
https://youtu.be/ao8L-0nSYzg
Addiction can be anything. The trigger is unhappiness.

So yes, it's real.
>>
>>52240189
i like traveled the world therefore im smarter than you anon
>>
idk if im addicted but i wouldn't know what to do if i didn't have it
>>
>>52235916
I'm heavily addicted, I don't go outside, can't get work done, can't sleep, and hardly eat. Its destroyed my life and I can't stop it due to these things being so essential in the world now.
>>
>>52242399
>due to these things being so essential in the world now.

So if the internet is essential then so is electricity. So is the printed word. Can we do without the last two, if not are we addicted?
>>
>>52235916
a world without internet is a scary place. I get pissed the fuck off if my internet dies and i'm stuck sitting in front of the screen playing the shitty google chrome dinosaur jump game, but if i'm at work or somewhere away from the computer I'm absolutely fine? for a little while anyways.
>>
Internet dies for about 24 hours like 5 times in a year i honestly don't know what to do without it dispite having a shitload of movies and books it just isn't the same as the internet
>>
>>52236313
Look its the sad instagram frog
>>
File: 1438444561100.jpg (2 MB, 3624x2996) Image search: [Google]
1438444561100.jpg
2 MB, 3624x2996
>>52235916

I did my senior paper on internet addiction way back in 2007. Half of the damn reviewing committee didn't understand what I was going on about and the other half just went "oh, that's nice, you pass". I knew in my gut and predicted all the stupid internet crap that's happening now almost 9 years ago and people are still oblivious to the idea TODAY.

I admire the writers of the past for guessing what's going on now decades ago.

It's only going to get worse from here. Be prepared.
>>
>>52242741
post your paper pls
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.