[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wdg/ - Web Development General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: 1449342190628.png (868 KB, 822x552) Image search: [Google]
1449342190628.png
868 KB, 822x552
Old Thread >>52195983

>IRC Channel
#/g/wdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: https://www.rizon.net/chat

>Learning material
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.bento.io/
https://programming-motherfucker.com/
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
https://www.theodinproject.com/

>Frontend development
https://github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

>Useful tools
https://pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
https://libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.

>NEET guide to web dev employment
https://pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>>
based meteor
>>
>>52229825
>mongoDB
Meteor a shit.
>>
>>52229926
postgres incoming tho, betting on that working out well with learning meteor now.
>>
>>52229959
Oh, are they scraping/adjusting their client-side mongo clone too?
>>
Taking bets on php meme discussion in 3.. 2.. 1..

Anyone recommend a decent NA webhost that isn't Godaddy with reseller status?
>>
File: 1436536079887.jpg (297 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1436536079887.jpg
297 KB, 1462x1462
>he uses Python
>in production
>>
>>52230083
What does NA mean?
>>
>>52230210
North American?
>>
I built a small ecommerce site a year back using wordpress and woocommerce, it has 5 products and uses stripe as the payment gateway.

I would like to redo it without using wordpress, preferably make it all myself, and use it as learning excuse, I know html, css, some php and js, any advice as where to start? Building the site from the ground up is not a problem, mainly the ecommerce and back end.
>>
File: 0yyaM7m.jpg (966 KB, 800x5078) Image search: [Google]
0yyaM7m.jpg
966 KB, 800x5078
Some fonts.
>>
How do websites like imgur display image from a url like imgur.com/(image id)? Is there a database with all the urls which is created as a user uploads an image or does imgur get the image ID from the url which then creates the page? Is the later even possible since wouldn't going to a page that doesn't initially exist return an error?
>>
>>52230972

https://api.imgur.com/models/image
>>
When do you know you can work for a company if all your work you've done at home ?
Is there skill set and some sort of black magic that you aquire b4 going there or there is occasional training in the first weeks at work ?
>>
>>52231191
I assume if you have a degree or certs they'll just throw you in the deep end once you get a job, with the assumption you're at least competent enough at the position you applied for. I know some do training in the first few weeks, but that's more about teaching you their ways of doing things rather than teaching you the fundamentals.
>>
>>52231354
Yeah, I got skills, can make most stuff from scratch, but never actually worked real job with deadlines and stuff, nor with other ppl with me in tandem. And probably I have some of "my own" ways to do the stuff that many probably wont like, thats what I am afraid of, like ditching me after few days... I am aiming for starting position, front end... and I am not looking for the best salary out there, just want to get some EXP and get the wheel going
>>
>>52231354
And no, I dont have degree in this field, my degree is totally unrelated, but I spend the last few years doing some projects in my free time, and for a year I was neet... so I dont really feel confy about that
>>
>>52231416
>>52231443
You should be okay then. I doub't anyone would go through the trouble of hiring you just to fire you a few days later (unless you're absolutely shit at your job). Just be open to new ideas, and if they give you instructions to complete a task a particular way, then do it to their specifications. There's no one set way of doing things in this field, I don't think they would expect you to know how they want things done right away.
As for the degree, mine is only somewhat related. I'm doing CIS (Information Security Emphasis) degree. Really what I should be looking to get into is systems administration, networking, operating systems, etc type shit, but I love web dev. It is the only thing I am passionate about.
>>
I've just got into web development and I've been using W3Schools quite a lot, but I've heard opinions that it's a shitty site and I should avoid it at all costs. It that true? If yes then what exactly is wrong with it?
>>
>>52231858
http://www.w3fools.com/

Though they already changed a lot and are much better now.
I'd still recommend mozillas developer network instead.
https://developer.mozilla.org
>>
>>52231858
Depends, what exactly are you trying to learn? If it's basic HTML/CSS then you should be fine. For other things, like PHP for example, I find that some of their code is seriously outdated.
>>
>Be only dev and project lead
>work remote
>"Anon, we need these changes done"
>A simple if-else condition on a form
>Charge 50$ hour for 2 hours
>No questions asked
>literally take 30 seconds to write the condition

Is this what freedom feels like?
>>
>>52232380
I get paid £30000 for hammering out responsive HTML/CSS/jQuery for 35hours a week work.

I love it.
>>
>>52232457
>£30000
You get paid that much in 35 hours?
>>
>>52232457
I mean is this a salary?
>>
>>52232471
Nigga please. Not even funny
>>
So in the fall my mom's friend hooked me up with a contact at a very prestigious private university in central new york. I built a simple site for an upcoming event they were having.

They emailed me yesterday saying they were very happy with my work, and they want to keep working with me. EVEN PAY ME. I'm so fucking happy right now. As a CSC major with just a basic knowledge of web design, it was very nice working out of my comfort zone.
>>
PHP or Javascript?
>>
>>52233762
php
>>
>>52233873
R E T A R D
>>
>>52233873
second this. php for backend, javascript for frontend.
>>
File: 1451683345567.png (167 KB, 293x398) Image search: [Google]
1451683345567.png
167 KB, 293x398
>>52233762
>php
>[current year]
>>
>>52233762
Not PHP.
>>
>>52233762
PHP if you want a job. JavaScript if you wanna hang around Starbucks updating your shitty blog.
>>
>>52234822

>PHP if you want a job.

This seems to be the most common opinion when I ask around. Guess it really is true.
>>
>>52230793

Not much help to us Webdevs though is it? As pretty as they are, who the fuck has those fonts installed?
>>
>>52234854

Well, just look around.

The real answer is...

Both, you dummy.
>>
>>52235008
It's useful for me and everyone else that does both back and front end shit.
>>
Is there a way to position an an element via css? or do I have to <div align="center"></div> every time. Also what is <header></header> and <nav></nav> entail exactly? Apology if these are entry level questions. I am not a web developer and am just working on a side project
>>
>>52235477
Yes
look into these CSS attributes
position
left
right
>>
>>52235590
thank you
>>
>>52235590
oops forgot
bottom

you can assign values like
-10 px
10px
-10 rem
10 rem
etc..
>>
What resources do people think are better? I want to learn Java as well as brush up on HTML. I tried codecademy and it was okay but I felt it was too much of what the syntax is, and never explained why you should actually use it, I also felt the courses were badly designed. So original question, what learning resources do you guys think are best?
>>
>>52230662
Help a nigga out bruhs
>>
>>52235749
use the mozilla dev link in OP
>>
>>52235749
Learn basic syntax (for loops, control structures, methods, etc) then learn by doing. Think of a project you'd like to write then Google anytime you need help. Don't get bogged down with the fine details, just start making shit.
>>
>>52235749
Btw some sites I find useful

project euler
coderbyte
codingbat
learnxinyminutes
>>
>>52235749
>What resources do people think are better?

Good old fashioned books.
>>
>>52234822
>>52234854
PHP if you want a maintenance job. Literally anything else if you want to make something new.

Also js an PHP aren't mutually exclusive. You need js to do front end work no matter what your back end is.
>>
>>52235944
Get off the computer Grandpa.
>>
>>52236312

My bad son. Go do codeacademy where some hipster walks you through 30 hours of code and you come out of it knowing nothing.
>>
Am I the only one who has a carefully cultivated and edited into various sizes and aspect ratio photos of hot girl's to use as placeholder images while building a site? I also use rap song lyrics instead of ipsum, I get sad when I push a site into production and it all gets swapped out. (I have generic stock images with exact same names and sizes so I just swap out the image folder and ipsum
>>
Why's every Node.js resource outdated as fuck? Why doesn't the Node.js website link to some resources other than its own documentation?

Fuck.
>>
>>52235828
I suppose what I'm asking is where should I learn the fundamentals, which will explain their purpose and not just say "do this. Move on"
>>
>>52237063
Their docs are very comprehensive. What do you need to know, that is not in the official docs?
>>
>>52235765
youre gonna have to know a lot more than "some php" to do that. you need to learn how to do things like build a login system, product listings/ inventory management, shopping cart, checkout, sessions, cookies, payment methods APIs, shipping/delivery notifications system, and more. you also need to learn about database setup & structure and learn SQL. Plus you need to make all this shit secure. There's a fuck ton going on behind just a simple looking WordPress ecommerce plugin.

Start mastering PHP and SQL and you'll get there. It's not that hard really, but will take a lot of time to get everything down. Good luck.
>>
>>52237120
I need to learn it, rather than just read about the many classes and methods, which is alright I guess if I already have an idea of what I'm supposed to be doing.
>>
>>52233762
um, both. JS is not very hard once you have some programming fundamentals, and you will need it eventually. PHP if you want to learn a good backend language. They both are used for completely different things in web dev, and knowing both is pretty much essential unless youre a complete mouth-breather
>>
>>52237151
I learned from the docs and a bit of googling. Unless there is something very specific you need to know, the docs are fine. If there is, feel free to ask.
>>
>>52237235
I'm dumb as a brick, but I'll try that. Thanks.
>>
>>52237151
Well why are you trying to learn Node.js? What exactly are you trying to use it for? Do you already know Javascript like the back of your fucking hand? How new to this are you?
>>
File: danguu.jpg (77 KB, 712x401) Image search: [Google]
danguu.jpg
77 KB, 712x401
Should I learn React or Vue?
Or wait for Angular 2?
>>
>>52232457
Enjoy it while it lasts. In the Silicon Valley a lot of people is thinking about how to obsolete junior-level front end dev.
>>
>>52237967
Learn Mithril.js now. You will get the benefits of React but with much simpler tooling, better performance and likely fewer lines of code. Learn Angular 2 once it is released because jobs/structure for large teams.
>>
Can someone remind me why GoDaddy is bad? Because in about a week I'll need a host, and preferably something cheap (under $5/mo).
>>
>>52237123
Thanks brah

Forgot to mention I am fairly competant with Sql also
>>
>>52237967
You don't have to wait! Angular 2 is here! Yay!
>>
>>52238625
>Mithril.js
It's like one of these pop up every day. Never heard of this one before, seems interesting tho.
>>
Can you have multiple classes of the same element type for styling purposes (paragraphs, for example) or is that what id are for? my shits not working
>>
What are job prospects like in NYC? I currently work at an agency in Orlando making $47.5k (it's my first full-time position) and am about to hit the one year mark there, but I really want to move back to my hometown.

I'm a full-stack dev btw, though I'm more proficient in front-end as that and design is where I began.
>>
>>52238739
Good luck ever getting anything back out of godaddy when you remember why they're shit (billing, walled garden, no scalability). Go with digitalocean. They're cheap as fuck.
>>
>>52239407
NVM
>>
>>52239107
It's pretty small, but it actually getting pretty popular. It does have some serious draw backs though, or i might be confusing it with vue.js

If you care about employability though, Angular or React are the only two real options because you can move around much easier with that.
>>
>>52239407
That's exactly what classes are for. So you don't have to have specific identifiers for each element.
>>
>>52238500
I dunno m8 I reckon you'll always need someone handy at Front-End Web Dev. I'm lower midweight by the way. I'm all about learning Angular on the side too.

And yea I'm on £30K per annum, in response to previous posters.
>>
>>52235008
>As pretty as they are, who the fuck has those fonts installed?

You don't know what a web font is?
>>
File: senpai.png (49 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
senpai.png
49 KB, 800x500
Please help me improve my logo. "senpai" will be replaced with my actual surname. That's (supposed to be) an A in the background, if you can understand it like this.
>>
>>52241209
you should keep it like that
senpai will truly earn your clients respect
>>
>>52241283
hah. It's a personal site though, so I prefer to use my actual surname.
>>
>>52241209
If you're going to ripoff a logo design then there's not much point asking /wdg/
>>
>>52241495
What logo did I ripoff? I came up with that on my own.
>>
>>52241519
Senpai™ presumably
>>
Codeacademy has this "Web Developer Skills" section now. Should I do all those courses or is there a better site to use?
>>
>>52234822
>>52234854
>>52236060
>php
>job
Eh, maintaining old sites due to tech debt?

A lot of companies are preferring java and c# for scalability and security, especially if they need a login system and backend rendering.

BTW there is absolutely nothing wrong with node.js, unless you're contributing to node.js in which case you're going to have to deal with idiots that think eggplants are sexist instead of racist.
>>
>>52242157
>eggplants are sexist instead of racist
wat
>>
>>52229559

Daily reminder that web development is not real programming
>>
File: itiswhatitis.jpg (27 KB, 610x360) Image search: [Google]
itiswhatitis.jpg
27 KB, 610x360
>>52242465
>making real money

Let's see some of you projects, fag
>>
>>52242527
Don't bother. He's probably some fucking NEET with nothing of value to show for his cockiness.
That's exactly why 4chan sucks for real discussions.
>>
>>52242527
>making entire websites out of wordpress
>don't know how to code so just load plugin upon plugin to get simple shit done, creating a giant clusterfuck
>mongodb for everything because muh json objects
>can't develop anything without a framework
>constantly talks about the latest js frameworks, critisizes but has either never worked with js or can't even use the framework to it's potential
>doesn't know that jquery is just a js library and thinks it's a programming language on its own
>can't into db design
>if godaddy doesn't configure the DNS for you, you're fucked and the project is already dead

yeah nah, web devs... fucking may as well be neets
>>
File: tLQ8B.png (9 KB, 52x70) Image search: [Google]
tLQ8B.png
9 KB, 52x70
>>52243065
>Let's see some of you projects
>Instead of showing us projects, goes on a rant like he's on the rag

Keep it up bro. If trying to bring other down to your level makes you feel better about yourself then carry on I say, but fuck off back to the /dpt/ circlejerk before you do.
>>
>>52243229
not even the fag you initially responded to

Don't give a fuck because my projects are confidential. Even if they weren't
>posting shit like that online

m8, go fuck yourself
>>
File: ANwcQwP.jpg (7 KB, 80x85) Image search: [Google]
ANwcQwP.jpg
7 KB, 80x85
>>52243242
Pretty sure nobody gives a fuck about your NEET shit you dingus. But stay classy, /g/, as always.
>>
File: 1353262635615.gif (123 KB, 275x155) Image search: [Google]
1353262635615.gif
123 KB, 275x155
>>52243287
You're a web dev. I wouldn't expect you to understand
>>
File: 5wZdQMI.png (22 KB, 150x94) Image search: [Google]
5wZdQMI.png
22 KB, 150x94
>>52243394
Also a final year CS student doing web dev & programming as a hobby. What do you do besides shitpost on /g/?
>>
>>52243486
fucking your mom
>>
File: 1439974084691.jpg (76 KB, 600x640) Image search: [Google]
1439974084691.jpg
76 KB, 600x640
What should generally be put in the website header? There's already a logo and a navbar on top.
>>
talk me out of using C#/asp.net mvc
>>
>>52243498
Wow you sure showed that guy, wew lad
>>
>>52245126
I use it at work, seems fine. At least you don't need to learn PHP.
>>
Best modern php tutorial/ book / resources which follows latest best practice to learn from?
>>
>>52246006
I'm not sure there really are agreed upon best practices in PHPland, pretty much "every shop for themselves". I guess Cake's standards/guidelines are the closest thing to authority but the majority of code you read will have different standards.
>>
>>52244715
>What should generally be put in the website header?
Things users would want to get to again and again (not settings unless its buried in a menu, not external links, shit people are going to be F5ing). So like on a forum that means the forum index and subscribed posts or something. On a news site it'd probably be like sports/international/whatever. If it's a static site then no one gives enough fucks to use header nav and you should just pick whatever hodgepoge of links fits and looks good.
>>
Anyone recommend a light admin / cms that I can integrate with an existing site easily enough? I have a site which is static except for the products which pull the details from a single table in the database via php (500+ products) me I just uploaded the table via phpmyadmin as a csv but I need something more user friendly for the client if they are going to add new products or amend existing ones.

Something lightweight that can handle the user login authentication etc
>>
>>52246090
Thanks, I just don't want to put a lot of effort into following tuts and stuff that use depreciated methods ect
>>
what the best stack for react dev? also what advantages to using css modules?
>>
Hello /wdg/
What are some good django tutorials?
>>
>>52247643
I recently did the official tutorial and thought it was excellent.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/intro/tutorial01/
>>
>>52246431
Drupal
>>
>>52245126

Do it. Great job prospects as well.
>>
>>52247916
*Drupal, or you can make your own. I made my own CMS for a final year college project that ties into an e-commerce website designed to meet the needs of college students. At that point I had been learning PHP for ~3 months when I started, so if you're more experienced than I was then you're golden.
>>
>>52246431

I really like perch.
>>
>>52239520
>>52238739
If you want cheap and are okay with 99.5% instead of 99.999% uptime and forum-based support, try http://lowendspirit.com/.
>>
>>52242157
Everybody knows that eggplants are actually transracial-phobic.
>>
>>52247942
I like this idea as it will force me to unskill, any advice on where to start?
>>
>>52248526
I'd recommend using a framework. My biggest mistake was coding it by hand - this made it take longer to complete and now it's a bitch to maintain. Start off with the simple stuff like displaying the records in the database, adding CRUD functionalities, managing user accounts/administrative privileges, then if you're feeling really fancy you can integrate Adsense (or whatever else analytic solutions you use) into the panel. Since most of your pages are static and you pull products from the database then that should be really simple for you to complete.
>>
>>52248710
Sounds good, any frameworks you would recommend? I don't use them really I prefer doing everything by hand for front end, but I want to hit the ground running on this one and not waste my time fucking around
>>
>>52248818
I'd say go with Laravel. Second choice would be CodeIgniter.
>>
why does wordpress feel so cozy?
>>
>>52249139
Fuck wordpress

I made a site in wordpress back when I didn't know wtf I was doing. That site makes 60 page requests to load a typical page and is several mbs and has a shit pagespeed score. I recently made a similar type site (on the same hosting) only did it all by hand and holy shit 84 pagespeed score, 10 times smaller, makes <20 requests to load the page ect and actually has more content than the wordpress one.
>>
>>52249139
Stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>52249431
I don't follow anon. If you're writing the theme yourself, you have full control over the requests made.
>>
Why do Web developers hate reusable components so much?

JavaScript still doesn't have one. Web Components haven't even been standardized yet. PHP doesn't have anything like that at all. Hack does, with XHP.

Is it so important for everyone involved to reinvent the wheel over and over again? Or do people honestly think that "jQuery plugins" are an acceptable solution?
>>
>>52250557
>Wordpress
>full control

Choose one
>>
>>52250557
Yeah I know but back then I didn't make the theme so go figure, it just amazes me how bloated most of the themes are out of the box.

Loading a million scripts and bullshit that isn't even used on that page.

You have a point though I have never even bothered looking at wordpress theme so I have no idea how lean you can actually make it.

Can you strip it right down and use it just for adding posts? Even then aren't you just more vulnerable by the virtue using wordpress since it gets attacked so much? Is the added overhead really worth the convenience?
>>
>>52250801
>Can you strip it right down and use it just for adding posts?
That's more or less what I do. Develop it as a static site then separate it into a few files and add Wordpress looping logic to get each post along with its thumbnail and so on, get categories for top bar, etc.

>Even then aren't you just more vulnerable by the virtue using wordpress since it gets attacked so much? Is the added overhead really worth the convenience?
The reason I do it is because clients need to be able to maintain the content themselves and just using Wordpress is a lot simpler than developing and training them on a custom CMS.

I tell clients to always keep everything updated and make backups (or I sell them a monthly maintenance contract where I do that for them...)
>>
>>52247643
Official tutorial is good, Two Scoops of Django is pretty good too if you want something a little longer form.
>>
>>52250713
>Why do Web developers hate reusable components so much?
They don't, the ecosystem just wasn't designed for the scale of project it's being used for today

>JavaScript still doesn't have one.
Not native, if you just want to gripe about the language it's a perfectly valid complaint but if it's a problem you need solved then require.js is what you need.

>Web Components haven't even been standardized yet.
Ehh, w/e, good tooling has fixed this. Again, would have been nice to have native from the start but largely a non-problem in 2015

>PHP doesn't have anything like that at all. Hack does, with XHP.
Yeah, but then PHP is the language designed for embedding in markup, its unsurprising it lack certain features. I mean it was written by a guy who didn't know how to write a parser.

>Is it so important for everyone involved to reinvent the wheel over and over again?
Where is the wheel being reinvented?

>Or do people honestly think that "jQuery plugins" are an acceptable solution?
No, again, require is the way forwards. Closure compiler could have been it but it never took off for whatever reason. Ahead of its time I guess.
>>
>>52243065
The thing is, web dev ranges from high school students wrangling WordPress installations to teams at IBM, Microsoft or {{startup}} making real-time analytics products. Towards the latter end of the spectrum work gets interesting and quite challenging.
>>
>>52249139
Chances are, it's because you don't have enough experience with anything else.
>>
>>52250713
Components *are* coming. Polymer hints at what they will be like.
>>
>>52229559
Friendly reminders:
http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

Ignore this piece of shit, it looks retarded:
http://evenbettermotherfucking.website/

This is how fast I want your sites to load:
http://blog.fefe.de/

This is satire taken too far I guess:
https://www.levelmoney.com/jobs/web-developer
>>
>>52252742
This desu. There are interesting web dev jobs just as there are boring ones, just like in every other profession. And there are jobs that high school student/your average Indian dev can do. All of that doesn't mean that the guys pulling over 5 figure a month salaries don't deserve it. And without them it wouldn't be possible for the high school students to churn out simple web pages.
>>
I want to handle file uploads to my server.

Images and webm specifically, through a web page.

I need an efficient interface that lets me do just that. I wish to select an image, apply tags, titles and other data. Neatly.

Do you have any suggestions of sites you know that are well made, and allow you to do that?
>>
>>52253440
Check out any of the anime image boorus. Our just use django.
>>
>>52253781
I am using Django.

But I'm looking for more than just file upload functionality.

I want something that will make a user sit down and have a good interface for upload.

The boorus are extremely simplistic.
>>
>>52248091
What? This website looks dodgy as fuck senpai.
>>
>>52253937
Well, it's not hard to make a pretty html ui.
>>
>>52254499
Well, they've been successfully operating for a few years now. Based on personal experience and others' feedback, I can say that you get exactly what you pay for with them. (But not more, i.e., no support, no refunds, IPv6-only plus a few ports on an IPv4 reverse proxy, etc.)
>>
>>52253162
>http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
One of the best articles about the web I've read.
>>
File: ob.037.jpg (162 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ob.037.jpg
162 KB, 1920x1080
>>52254884
Agreed
>>
File: ob.041.jpg (731 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ob.041.jpg
731 KB, 1920x1080
>>52255137
>>
>>52254682
How do I even sign up for this? I know nothing about server management so that rules this out. Right now I just wanna put some static pages, PHP, and MySQL.

>>52239520
This seems complicated too, since I'll have to manage domains, point nameservers, etc. I know nothing about that.
>>
>>52255162
>How do I even sign up for this?
Seriously? Click "Locations".
>I know nothing about server management so that rules this out.
Should have mentioned that from the start. Try NameCheap's shared hosting or Heroku and its clones. But seriously, you should learn how manage your own server.
>>
>>52254884
It better if you watch the talk.
>>
Are there any good reasons to not use the height/width attributes on img tags?

I realize that it adds a few bytes to each tag, but I just hate it on pages that don't, and everything keeps moving around on the page because the browser has to recalculate sizes as the images download.
>>
>>52255954
>a few bytes
Wtf is a few bytes in comparison with the fucking picture?

Just do whatever make it looks nice.
>>
>>52255954
It is widely considered bad practice not to do it, just because of the reasons you mentioned.
>>
>>52235008
>installed
>google fonts
You COULD...but still, seriously.
fonts.google.com
>>
>>52254609
Well, no.

But I'm not looking for pretty. Functional, usable, powerful, advanced.
>>
>>52255391
>NameCheap

Fuck me. They have hosting for $20 a year (and that includes the domain name registration). Bless you, this is the best value I've come across.
>>
Can anyone link me to some good LESS or SASS tutorials? Company I'm interviewing for wants expert level CSS3 skills
>>
>>52257624
You're welcome!
>>
Is .NET a meme
>>
>>52258310
C# is honestly one of the best modern languages.
>>
>>52258653
You're one of the best modern languages, senpai
>>
For a personal website, do you think it is tacky to put my degree in my logo?
>>
>>52258743
Yes.

Degree in your resume, link your website in your resume, if they want to know your major they can scroll down in your resume.
>>
>>52258778
I meant the logo itself. I'm designing a logo for my site and I was wondering if it seems weird to put my degree title in the logo.
>>
File: guess random number.png (108 KB, 1813x646) Image search: [Google]
guess random number.png
108 KB, 1813x646
I'm learning JavaScript from Treehouse and I'm doing this exercise before seeing how the guy makes it, I added a few extra things as well. How is my code lads? I feel like I'm finally grasping the concepts.
>>
>>52243486
>>52243287
>>52243229
>>52242994
>>52242527
jesus christ. you guys are too easy to troll

you really can't argue that web dev isn't the absolute lowest bar of programming...
>>
Guys how can I center my little nav bar? Is it because I have it set to float left?
body * {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}

.container {

width: 400px;
overflow: hidden;
border-bottom: 1px solid black;
padding-left: 5px;

}

.container a {

display: block;
float: left;
text-align: center;
padding: 5px 10px;
box-sizing: border-box;
border: 1px solid black;
border-bottom: none;
border-left: none;
text-decoration: none;
}

.container a:first-child {

border-left: 1px solid black;

}

.container a:hover {

background-color: lightblue;

}

h1 {

text-align: center;

}
.indented {

padding-left: 50px;
padding-right: 50px;
font-size: 20px;
}
>>
>>52259908
https://css-tricks.com/centering-css-complete-guide/
>>
File: 5255234353.png (99 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
5255234353.png
99 KB, 1920x1080
>>52259908
heres the pic
>>
>>52259908
>>52259952
>>52259961

ok got my answer
>>
Hi guys. Sorry if this post is unwanted, but I'm sure one of you guys can help me out.

I'm in a bit of a bind. Let's say there exists some minified javascript that overwrites a native function, a function on a prototype. Is there a quick an easy way to get that native function back?
>>
>>52260189
I'm using chromium specifically, but I can change to any browser.
>>
>>52260189
Nope.
>>
>>52260395
Not even something tricky I can do like open an iframe and use the iframes window object?

Sorry if that sounds like rubbish, I'm not really a web person.
>>
>>52260432
That could actually work, depending on how the browser creates a new window object. Test it.
>>
>>52260481
Holy fucking shit it worked. You're a genius. It's so hacky I love it.
>>
>>52238500
those fuckboys can't even agree on how to render css how the fuck are they going to automate network calls, updating resources, supporting a range of device displays and input methods etc etc etc

>they won't you fucking moron
>>
What steps should I take for making my site?

>barebones html/css?
>add database support?
>polish with JavaScript/json/ajax?
>>
>>52253012
what should i try that's better

[spoiler]will it be cozier?[/spoiler]
>>
>>52262733
yes
>>
Hello friends. I'm going to a decent school, getting a degree sort of based in web design/user experience, but has a lot of design theory, digital marketing, and other random stuff thrown in there.

I'm happy with it so far but I feel like since I really want to do web development more than anything else in the world, I will need extra learning resources. I was looking at that CareerFoundry course for wed development. Its pretty expensive but apparently has rave reviews by everyone that uses it, and I can afford it because my stepdad is rich.

Can anyone recommend it or anything?
>>
>Try to use nodejs
>Download the node binary and npm
>to install packages with npm you need node-gyp
>node-gyp requires you to have python and visual c++ installed
>why
>you have a fully functional js interpreter, why the fuck would you need python and c++
>no clear way on how to install packages manually
>everybody says "hurr just use npm"
No, i will not fucking install python and visual C++ on a server machine just so i can install a package.
This is why web devs are a joke.
>>
>>52265809
>No, i will not fucking install python and visual C++ on a server machine just so i can install a package.
>visual C++ on a server machine
>microsoft server
>>
>>52265825
There is literally nothing wrong with using windows server OS for a home server.
>>
>>52265809
Either

Why are you using a window server? Didn't that cost extra?

Or...

Why didn't you install node with the install dependencies thing enabled?
>>
newb here...

I want to be able to create a nice user-friendly site for my friends vidya community to use.

I see this as a good chance to improve on my skills but I'm not sure how to approach it.

What's the best way to go about this? Should I look into using Wordpress or even Drupal?
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 750x1334
>>52265855

>he's serious
>>
>>52265867
>Why are you using a window server?
Because running things is much easier. I'm more familiar with the windows filesystem, and i can natively create network shares, lock files, etc.
>Why didn't you install node with the install dependencies thing enabled?
I didn't install node. I downloaded node.exe binary and the npm zip.
Then i wrote my own npm and node-gyp launcher that sets up the paths correctly.
"node-gyp rebuild" throws errors because it wants to use Python and visual studio 2005. Yes, 2005.
>>52265943
Yes. Yes i am. It would take a lot of time and effort to get to know where is everything in a linux system, what exactly apt-get does under the hood, which files get placed where, etc.
Sure you can just follow the tutorial like a dumb fuck and it would work, buy you wouldn't understand why and how it works.
Same on windows. Sure you can just double click the installer and it does everything for you.
But, i just manually install everything and i always know where everything is. No hidden services, files or scheduled tasks.
>>
>>52265940

What does the site need to do? Is it a bunch of blank pages? A blog? A forum? A wiki?
>>
What is the point in using grunt? Running tasks? What is that? I thought all you need is a text editor to code stuff. I'm probably a few years behind on shit so if someone can update me on all this new shit that'd be great. Currently learning angular, too.
>>
>>52266009
It's a center hub for the community...

So I'd imagine having a blogging section and forums would be needed.

Don't think there would be much need for a wiki.
>>
>>52266026
It's pretty common to use a language which compiles to JS, a language that compiles to CSS, something a language that compiles to HTML, the a secondary JS "compilation" as a result of require's module system, minification of JS and CSS, then possibly concatenation. Images need to be sprited, sometimes you'll want to generate different resolutions of assets dynamically or rasterize SVGs for a fallback (which may also require automated markup manipulation). Often there's some work in shuttling files around for the sake of a dev server, and of course a task is necessary for the server. Then some or all of that will need to be repeated when the source tree is modified. And that's just a vanilla setup, people do some nutty things with build processes. That's a lot of moving parts that need to be automated.

A task runner like grunt or gulp helps with things like managing that pipeline. You formalize your build process so people coming into the project don't have to scratch their heads over what to do with the source, then you may want different pipelines for development vs. production. They're useful for like CI testing configuration and stuff like that.
>>
File: kekcat1.gif (2 MB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
kekcat1.gif
2 MB, 500x284
What's the best way to add background music on a website? Is there a method which would work on most desktops, tablets, and smartphones alike?
>>
>>52266499
Start with killing yourself.
>>
>>52266499
You probably shouldn't.

Audio tags have pretty good support among newer browsers (including smartphone browsers) but browsers from a few years back will probably lack support. The only surefire way to go is polyfill type situation with fallback to a flash player or something.
>>
looking for some ideas to develop in a 3/6 month range to expand my projects portfolio.

or nice projects to contribute to
>>
What's the best way to embed the timeline of a FB page onto a website?

I used the Page Plugin, but it looks like shit.
>>
say you make changes to a django module. How would you keep track of it with version control? Since you project is in a repository but the module is under site-packages.
>>
>>52269329
which version control?
in GIT you can have submodules which are their own repository.
Basically a git repository inside another one that works independently.
>>
>>52269355
yeah but your site-packages is a different directory than your project.
Or should i just move the module inside my project repo?
>>
>>52269435
>Or should i just move the module inside my project repo?
Yes, best is if you first commit the pure module and then do the changes in another commit so it's easy to see if you ever need to update it.

Placing it in the site-packages folder would destroy the changes if you pull it on another computer.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 989x4160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 989x4160
>can't sleep for at least two hours after productive coding session
>too tired to be productive the next day

Life is suffering
>>
>>52269504
Melatonin.
>>
>>52269543

Thanks senpai, buying some now
>>
>>52269504
>have 3 weeks vacation
>planned to finally complete project
>didn't touch it at all
>>
>>52269504
>tfw NEET and this is accurate
>tfw just turning into a more bitter person everyday
>>
Why does nobody disable sliders on mobile view of a site? Am I stupid for doing it? Are they not pointless resource heavy bullshit on a smartphone?
>>
>>52269611
>Coding while on holiday
Absolute madman
>>
>>52269622

Watch Arnold Schwarzenegger videos until you're motivated. Dead serious, goals = motivation = drive = positive change and stimulation.
>>
>>52269648
fuck you. You think it's that simple?
>>
>>52269703
yes
>>
I learned PHP in one semester, why is everyone talking like it's remotely hard? It's just frustrating.
>>
>>52270028
>PHP in six months
I hope it was your first language to take that long, kouhai
>>
>>52270061
by one semester I mean since october until...now I suppose.
>>
>>52234822
Both.
>>
>>52269648
And this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
>>
>>52234854
Yep, and getting a job should be your first priority: minimize the risks, don't learn whatever meme language is popular this month. Once you have a steady income and gaining professional experience you can learn the meme languages /g/ recommends safely. I recommending checking your local job offers.
>>
>>52266053
anyone?
>>
>>52270780
What if its a mix?
>>
>>52241852
Please help. I don't wanna take all these courses and still not know anything.
>>
>>52271178
depends more about your style of learning. codeacademy is very interactive, sometimes too interactive to really grasp the whole concepts. I'd just start one of the courses and see if it resonates
>>
>>52269622
Once you go bitter, you never come back. Get off your ass before it's too late.
>>
>>52269328
FB/Twitter/etc. aren't keen on people altering the look of embedded content. Modifying the look of the embedded 'like' button, for example, is a nightmare.
Instead, take a look at their Graph API, you can fetch the content as JSON and build a timeline yourself. Very easy if you own the page in question.
(can't post the link here, but Google it)

---------

So, I'm emailing a startup about a dev position and they sent over a mockup of their product to help explain it.

Since it would only take an hour, I'm tempted to convert the mockup into a functional page and send it to them for giggles. Would that do more harm than good? Part of me thinks it's a bit cringe-y, but I dunno.
>>
>>52271524
Wireframe it only, non responsive
>>
>tfw you look at your page in IE 8 for the first time in months and everything is fucked up

GOD DAMN IT

I didn't even use any advanced CSS shit, you faggot nignog browser. Except for media queries, but these are polyfilled.
>>
>>52271743
if it isn't a customer wanting IE8 support ignore everything that isn't 11.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support
>>
>>52271850
>ignore every IE
fix'd that
>>
>>52271877
IE10+ very rarely requires extra tweaking though, unless you are using bleeding edge stuff.
>>
>>52271850
It isn't a customer.... it is my boss. That fuck.

I want people like that to take a look at websites back when IE 8 came out. How they looked like. What they did. How FUCKING limited they were!

Expecting HTML web "applications" to work in IE 8 is like expecting modern applications to work in Windows 98. The web has changed. Fuck you.
>>
Hey guys,
I am getting sick to fuck of FTP clients with the drag and drop interface, does anyone know of any faster/less tedious ways of pushing sites live?
I use github pages for smaller projects but is there an alternative for stuff that needs server interaction?
>>
>>52272332
Uh, Git? You set up a remote repo on the server and then have like a post-receive hook to copy files to your web server root. Then you just git push to live.
>>
>>52272374
Well durp I've clearly been doing things all kinds of retarded. Would you have a link to an example of doing something like this at all?
>>
>>52272332
I use something like this for simple stuff

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-automatic-deployment-with-git-with-a-vps
>>
>>52272405
I'll look into it, thank you!
>>
>>52271743
Pretty basic rule of web design is to test in multiple browsers, versions, and devices.. You dun goofed.
>>
>>52272332
I use Capistrano, gives you a little more control and supports multiple environments.

For example:
cap production deploy

You can setup pre- and post-deploy tasks to clear caches as well.
>>
>>52259559
You can get rid of the `do { ... } while`. Move everything in the do block into the while:
while (condition) {
// code
}

No one writes `do { ... } while()`. Also you probable want to move `userGuessTries++` to the end of the while loop. Other than that it looks pretty good m8.
>>
>>52269703
lmfao you're a literal piece of human trash

http://impossiblehq.com/get-disciplined-not-motivated/
>>
Anyone here use clojure/clojurescript? Thinking of switching to something a little more functional/lispy.
>>
>>52269611
>have two week holiday
>bring book I've been meaning to read for months
>end up spending all my time programming
>tfw not rested at all when I get back
I mean at least I got a lot done but it feels like a disease at this point
>>
friend wants me to create a community site for him.

how do I go about doing this?

should I worry about registering domain name and using a free hosting service to begin?

just a fyi this isn't anything really serious just a good way to help a friend and improve on my own skills.
>>
>>52273732
>community site
Download vbulletin4 and throw it up on some cheapie VPS. Do a little skinning. Done.

Forum software is necessarily big, not something you can do well in a few weeks.
>>
When to create static web pages over dynamic, and vice versa?
>>
>>52273940
If all your page does is display data, then static is fine.
>>
>>52273927
how complicated is that? I've never messed around with vbulletin before.

Also do you have any VPS recommendations?
>>
>>52274011
That's an oversimplification, and I would go so far as to say that you should always build a dynamic site unless you can argue why a static site is better.

For example, my portfolio site is static. It's 2 HTML pages, and I hardcode all projects and their descriptions. That's fine because I add text to the file every few months and that's it.

Projects in the real world (even weekend/hackathon projects) are rarely that simple.
>>
Best program for coding?
CSS HTML java etc
Don't care if free

Sorry for the vague/amateur question :-(
>>
>>52274240
javascript, not java.

any editor you like combined with the dev tools of any browser you like.

I prefer visual studio. Though because of lack of ES6 support I sometimes use atom instead.
>>
>>52271558
Fuck, I sent over a pixel-perfect copy.
At least it's not responsive, right?
>>
>>52274332
if you already did it, why are you asking?
>>
voice/video chat site where you can meet other programmers, work on stuff, ask questions, and have sex?
>>
>>52272894
>No one writes `do { ... } while()`.
I do. When I need to run the first iteration regardless of the condition, maybe because the condition is not set until running the block at least once. That's why there's a do-while. It's not common though. It's pretty retarded to recommend not using it because "nobody uses it".
>>
>>52273927
it appears that vBulletin 4 isn't free

what do you think about phpBB or even Wordpress
>>
>>52263416
>what should i try that's better
What do you want to make? If CMS stuff, try Django and Django CMS.
>>
Hey, I want to create small website without JS and such. What should I use for backend language? That's not broken and quite secure by /g/ standards.
>>
>>52274570
what does your server support?

asp.nets mvc framework is quite nice.
>>
>>52274595
ASP.NET Yeah I know that's nice. What could other be?
>>
>>52274659
ASP.NET MVC =/= ASP.NET
>>
>>52274734

What other language alternatives are good?
>>
>>52272894

What's your problem with do-while loops?
>>
>>52265855
>There is literally nothing wrong with using windows server OS for a home server.
Sure, but then don't expect it to run Node effortlessly. Web tech was born on and primarily targets *nix (and often expects a C compiler to be available, because that's how it is on *nix). You should not expect it to be easy to run Node on Windows Server any more than you'd expect it to be easy to run Microsoft SharePoint on FreeBSD.
>>52265809
Just use a Linux VM on your server.
>>
>>52274770
Personally, I use Node.js (Javascript) and Flask (Python).
But seeing that you're looking for "no js webpage" (probably just static content), I'd just write it down on plain HTML+CSS, or depending on the case, use a static-site generator such as Jekyll
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.