[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how long until players from all countries can play with each
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1451493238457.png (517 KB, 453x530) Image search: [Google]
1451493238457.png
517 KB, 453x530
how long until players from all countries can play with each other without any lag whatsoever?
>>
Lag is the time packets take to traverse the network and therefore there is a lower bound set by the speed of light. You would have to invent quantum networking to bypass the speed of light and have every player connect via some FTL link.
>>
>>52227395
speak english
>>
>>52227403
simple english answer for anon: never
>>
Never.
You do understand that lag is caused by the time it physically takes a signal to reach from place to place, right?
>>
>>52227403
It's physically impossible using current physics, unless you could find something faster than light.

Although my retarded friend always says "we'll find a way around it", there are some things you literally can't ever beat.
>>
I can use my VPN to join foreign game severs and my ping would be like 60. Not sure if ping stacks though.

If it stacks something doesn't add up, because the combined ping feel should feel significantly more laggy than it is.
>>
>>52227376
quantum physics
>>
>>52227376

If we had perfect communications with normal technology, the highest ping you'd ever have to endure would be around 66ms and that'd be someone from equatorial Asia playing with someone from equatorial America

Ping between Europe and North America would be anywhere from 18-33ms, pings within a region would be insignificant.

However we're a long way from that as cables and packets take inefficient routes, and there are lots of existing switches/routers and electrical/optical repeaters that add additional delay, and renovating/upgrading existing infrastructure is an extremely time-consuming process
>>
File: 160104-12.47.55.png (16 KB, 626x526) Image search: [Google]
160104-12.47.55.png
16 KB, 626x526
>>52227488
You either misunderstand how ping works, VPNs work, or both.

See pic related:
Your ping is simply a function of the distance of that black line plus the number of network devices between you and the end destination. If the internet was perfect, your packets would take the shortest physical route at all times, however it sadly is not. If you use a VPN in a good location with good peering, you can end up getting a shorter overall route, meaning less ping.
>>
We would have to raise the world's average Internet speeds, route more efficient sea cables and optimize shit alot but there would still be lag cuz of physical time of the signals
tl;dr we can make it playable but the ping would be always above 70ish and it would cost alot of money
>>
>>52227433
How long would it take using fibre internet?
Let's say the entire world is using fibre, would it be reasonable to say an Australian and American can play on the same server with less than 100 ping?
>>
>>52227872
>>>52227376 (OP)
>If we had perfect communications with normal technology, the highest ping you'd ever have to endure would be around 66ms and that'd be someone from equatorial Asia playing with someone from equatorial America
>Ping between Europe and North America would be anywhere from 18-33ms, pings within a region would be insignificant.
>However we're a long way from that as cables and packets take inefficient routes, and there are lots of existing switches/routers and electrical/optical repeaters that add additional delay, and renovating/upgrading existing infrastructure is an extremely time-consuming process
>>52228502
Here's your answer
>>
>>52227433
thats not strictly true, the rules cant be broken but they can be bent slightly. quantum superposition can be exploited to send and receive signals instantaneously, the problem lies in making those signals coherent
>>
Most lag seems to be the result of quality of the network and not so much distance.
I don't know why it should be I have to deal with aweful lag within my own country
>>
We won't see an improvement in actual lag in the near future because the shitty ocean pipes will do as long as they don't utterly fail.
What you'll get is improvement in the way game engines handle lag compensation.
In 20XX the game will use telemetry to send all about your playstyle to skynet who will analyse it and build a simulation of how you'd play. The game will never seem to lag because the computer will play not you.
In the end your skill will never improve and be based on your first 10 matches performances.
Wich does not matter because that's how MMR works in any mutiplayer game.
And in the future all mutiplayer games have MMR and a shitty "competitive" community. Singleplayer games are mobile only.
>>
When we start sending Internet through the mantle of the earth.
>>
>>52227376
Never unless we go full commie in some one world governmental system
>>
>tfw play on tf2 valve servers with < 5 ping, as low as 3 sometimes
>>
>>52227395
This. The Earth is just barely small enough to make acceptably lag-free communication across the world possible. On a Neptune-sized planet (do rocky planets that large exist anyway) major and unavoidable lag would manifest with enough distance between points on its surface.
>>
>>52227433
>using current physics

God has a repository for physics on Github or somesuch? Can I get the latest nightly build?
>>
>>52230098
Yes but you need the newest iphone to run it.
>>
>>52230098
Har har.

We might not be 100% right with physics.
Our understanding may change, making things we didn't believe possible before possible.

Things like that quantum shit.
>>
>>52228583
Don't talk about quantum phenomena, it's obvious you know nothing about it.
>>
>>52227376
I am waiting for the western nations to get better internet, I am fine, I get 150mb/s unlimited cap for $ 3/month and there is even better plans
>>
>>52229068
NOT
>>
File: 5.png (40 KB, 634x315) Image search: [Google]
5.png
40 KB, 634x315
>>
>>52230620
Is this true? I thought light travelled at the speed of light no matter the medium.
>>
>>52231058
retard
>>
>>52231058
Well it's only JOHN FUCKING CARMACK saying it so, I dunno, what do you think?

Maybe if femfreq tweeted it you'd believe it right away?
>>
>>52230620
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/151498-researchers-create-fiber-network-that-operates-at-99-7-speed-of-light-smashes-speed-and-latency-records
>>
>>52231095
>>52231111

why are you samefagging, shithead
>>
In the afterlife.
>>
>>52231332
>>52231348
ebin xDDDDDDDDDD

what a nice troll XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.