[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>driving home from work >external hard drive is on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: this.jpg (143 KB, 800x617) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
143 KB, 800x617
>driving home from work
>external hard drive is on the passenger seat next to me because I'm too retarded to remember to put it in my computer bag
>sharp turn
>external hard drive falls from the passenger seat to the floor of the car after hitting the plastic siding of the door somewhat
>get home
>plug it in to see if it was working/if the data was corrupted
>working fine, no notifications about a problem with the drive
>don't have anywhere else to back up the content to
Do I assume everything is fine or just buy a new hard drive to be safe? It's a Western Digital 1TB "My Passport" model.
>>
>>52219455

run a SMART test on it m80
>>
im sure its fine, m8
>>
be safe and buy a new one. you will be sorry if it crashes because of the g force shock. they are not rated for much and if you try to return it for warranty, the g force sensor itsode will have undoubtedly registered a warranty voiding shock.
>>
>>52219491
Don't know why this didn't occur to me. Thanks.
>>52219511
Yeah, I'd like to think that it's fine especially seeing as how one of the reasons why I chose this particular model is because it is supposed to have durability within reason.
>>
>>52219455
i thought hard drives fuck up when they get hit while on
>>
>>52221284
A hard drive taking a hit while off >can< still be fatal.
If the hard drive is on, this changes from >can< be fatal to certain death.
>>
Nah don't worry about it. I have a 1TB WD passport and it's a fucking tank. Maybe wanna do a backup and run a full disk check (chkdsk /F /R /X [drive] in windows) but if its not giving you problems then it should be ok
>>
>>52221337
a fatal hit while the drive is off has to be MUCH harder, on the order of 20 Gs or more. Bouncing around in a car cabin will not come anywhere close to that unless you physically threw it.
>>
File: CXJFYo-U0AAE7Pg.jpg (64 KB, 425x566) Image search: [Google]
CXJFYo-U0AAE7Pg.jpg
64 KB, 425x566
Is there any external hard drive drop test?
>>
>>52221397

HDD's use to actually have G limits written on the stickers. you're not gonna fuck one up without throwing it off a building.
>>
>>52219455

I'm sure the head was parked.
>>
>>52219455
>working fine, no notifications about a problem with the drive

Why would a fall cause the dirty bit to be triggered? Did you somehow run a surface scan and not tell us? Did you check over the SMART data and not tell us? I don't get it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.