[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prebuilt Gaming PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: PCRIG1-580x435.jpg (75 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
PCRIG1-580x435.jpg
75 KB, 580x435
I know, I know... building it myself is better in every way. But it's been a decade since I last looked at hardware to build it myself and, due to health problems and thanks to my parents' generosity, it simply doesn't make sense to build my next PC like I did my last one.

Flashing lights and custom graphics need not apply.

So, let's say under $4,000, what are some decent pre-built gaming PCs? Or places I could go to read trustworthy reviews? Back in the day, Alienware was overpriced but is that still the case?
>>
How about gaming laptops? I've heard they are more practical than they used to be.
>>
>>52213596
>Under $4,000
Jesus Christ, anon
>>
>>52213596
>>52213730
No Laptops, No Alienware, No brand name gaming computers.
>>
>>52213730
I dunno! If gaming laptops are actually a good option now, that might be worth looking into as well.
>>52213939
OP here. I know, Anon, I know. I explained how much cheaper it would be to build a gaming machine, and they understood. But with the money we are having to spend on my health problems, it's just a drop in the ocean. I may still build it, but I wanted to at least get informed about my options.
>>
>>52213997
>No brand name gaming computers
Get down to Microcentre or a Brick and Mortar Mom and Pop PC shop, somewhere you can have a laugh with the staff other than GeekSquad.

Just tell them your budget, what you do with it etc.
>>
>>52213997
>>No Laptops, No Alienware, No brand name gaming computers.
Did you read the OP? What does this leave me with? I don't think they sell a non-brand-name gaming desktop. Do they? Where?
>>
File: a.jpg (20 KB, 297x235) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
20 KB, 297x235
>>52213596

What country do you live in, Anon?
>>
>>52214046
OK, that's helpful, thanks. I'll check for shops in my area.
>>
>>52214046
Geek squad is absolute shite.
>>
OP here I decided to get Alienware because it is really nice looking. I really like the LEDs that you just can't get with other manufacturers
>>
If you are having health problems do you really think that playing games will help? I'm healthy and games fuck me up, living some fantasy while you could be regaining some health.

Enjoy missing the fun of building your own PC. Enjoy some random dude buying that $4000 desktop for less than half from your parents when you are dead.

I swear that america is in a decaying state. Fuck you little bitch.
>>
>>52214207
You are so smart and right and true
>>
>>52214080
Rjtech.com, M-tech, Sager, Eurocom. Maybe ORIGIN or Maingear too if you don't consider them brand names.
>>
>>52214092
I am in the US. Bleh.

>>52214121
>Geek squad is absolute shite.
Indeed.

>>52214248
>Rjtech.com, M-tech, Sager, Eurocom. Maybe ORIGIN or Maingear too if you don't consider them brand names.
Cool, thanks dude. I'll check those out.
>>
File: a (6).jpg (45 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
a (6).jpg
45 KB, 612x612
>>52214336

So, first of all, remember that even with health problems, playing videogames all day isn't going to do anything but make whatever you have, worse. There are benefits to having a powerful computer, but remember that you can only escape from life for so long in videogames. Secondly, $4000 is hilarious overkill for any PC that's not going to be purely for some business need, such as large server management, etc.. Thirdly, I find it hard to believe that you built a computer in the past, seeing as anyone that has built a computer in the past knows that it's practically adult lego; you can't even plug cables into wrong sockets anymore, everything is designed to fit into exactly one thing.

With that all in mind, you sound like you lack confidence, Anon. So read this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/8XYcCJ/i5-6600k-gtx-980-ti-gaming-pc

There's even a video walking you through every step. And look at the price, not even $2000 and you're top of the line on all your components. You won't have to overclock that, and you won't have to worry about more cooling (provided you don't overclock).

So that's my recommendation, Anon. Unless you have a health condition that makes it too difficult for you to follow a guide on plugging cables in, followed by plugging them in, you should do this. Throw in a CD drive if you need one, and if that's too hard, take it to Geek Squad when it's built and they'll do it for you.

Is this too much?
>>
>>52213596

Come to microcenter. I will give you all the best stuff. And just give me $139.99, I will build it same-day.

Sound like a plan?
>>
>>52213939
/g/ - the people that wouldn't care of the budget even if OP has health problems
>>
most stores that sell computer parts will also assemble the pc for you, if you give them like 20 bucks. this is miles better than any prebuilt
>>
>4g
just fly me to you, I'll rent a car, we go to fry's, I build you a nice af pc
>>
>>52214207
>>52214524
I appreciate the thought, but you guys don't know what you're talking about.

First: I have CVS. It feels a lot like going through chemotherapy all day with no relief even with anti-nausea medications. It has nothing to do with diet, environment, state of mind, and certainly nothing to do with how I spend my time.

Second: My doctors have repeatedly encouraged me to *seek* such distractions while the long-term drugs slowly take effect. They use the word "escapism."

Third: Video games are *not* a mere "escape" for me. I am working on my PhD despite my illness, and video games constitute an important part of my research. Having a PC that can run them would be vital even if I were completely healthy, and my 10-year old PC is starting to break down, finally.

Lastly: I certainly could build a new PC. As you say: adult lego bricks. My concern is more about picking out components than the actual building process. And given how out of it I am with CVS and the drugs (none of which are the "fun" kind), I wouldn't be surprised if I made very serious and very obvious mistakes putting it together. I probably wouldn't, but I certainly could.

So, thanks for your well-intentioned words of advice, but my concern is more about picking out components than the actual building process. Having looked at some pre-built gaming PCs, I may decide to purchase the components myself and stick 'em together. But first I want to see what's out there.

I didn't mention all this in the OP simply because this isn't my blog, it came up and now it's done with. So, does anyone have further advice for what components I should look into?
Do you think my old GTX 570 is still top of the line, or should I look at new GPUs as well?
>>
>>52214121
Which is exactly why I said to avoid them.
>>
>>52214911
Just buy something with a skylake i5 or i7. Get a k processor because why not you've got the cash.
Make sure you have 16gb of RAM at least.
Storage go with what you need. Boot SSD's are pretty cool though.
Get an expensive video card. I got a 980ti, I read good things about it so I bought one. I'd reccomend it because I have it and hey, everything runs great at 1080p.
Make sure it has a decent power supply, corsair, evga, there are a bunch of good brands. I have corsair but there are loads of good ones.

Just find a pc that has all that, in an attractive case. Then buy that object.
Your budget is huge. This will leave you with money left over for a massive games library, and possibly a netflix subscription, crunchyroll, whatever you're into.

That's basically what you want. I have one that I built, but buying them isn't hard. Building is just cheaper, and fun. Though I get where you're coming from, I fucked mine up the first time (RAM in wrong slots) because I was hung over. So you're pretty wise to not do it in your condition.

Last but not least, make sure it doesn't come with a pile of shitty software. Or at least know how to perma-kill shitty software.
>>
File: a (4).png (664 KB, 2120x1600) Image search: [Google]
a (4).png
664 KB, 2120x1600
>>52214911

So, you're doing something psychology based for your PhD? Could be interesting, or I might be right off in my guess. I'd like to hear what you're researching, Anon.

Moving past that, if you can write your PhD, you can build a computer. Hence why I linked you a build with all parts done for you, and a literal step-by-step video process showing you exactly what to do. I'm trying to help. **Remember, you could always order the parts and take them somewhere to be assembled.**

Now listen, Anon, I'm not trying to sound harsh here, really. You're capable, you're writing a PhD, but if you really don't want to risk messing this up, I suppose that you could google for gaming PC's, maybe a best of 2015 type deal. I don't follow desktop pre-builts anymore, and laptops have always been shit in terms of reliability and sustainability.

Listen to >>52215034 , that's the best that I can offer.
>>
OP, really, dont buy a prebuild. it's almost impossible to buy good one. more often than not they cut corners. on better ones, it's just case, mobo, hdds. then psu, cheaper i7s, cheapers i5s, worst ones that are sold as "gaming" stuff have office tier gpus.
build quality usually isn't that good either. you can forget about nicely routed cables.

also, you are missing lots of fun. building your new rig is really really fun. pushing power button for 1st time and seeing everthing work is satisfying.

you have huge budget, and i wouldnt spend it all on just a tower, as it's complete overkill. i dont know what else you currently have, but with that money you could easily get really nice pc for less than $2000. then 1440p monitor. maybe additional monitor, why not 1080p in portrait mode? good keyboard, mice. headphones, dac. speakers if you want them. amp. hell, even desk and chair if you dont have nice one.

check http://www.logicalincrements.com/
aim at Enthusiast level.
>>
Human diseases, including cancer or whatever you have are product of mental disorders. Emotions going wild and you not coming to terms with your own conflicts.

Get some guts, exercise and go talk with girls.
>>
>>52214911
Get some medical marijuana.
Smoking weed will get rid of your nausea induced by the chemo and bring back your appetite. You'll start to eat more and gain strength, helping your recovery.
>>
>>52215034
Saved for later. Thanks!

>>52215249
No worries, dude. Like I said, I appreciate the thought! The build you linked to is helpful, so thanks for that. (PhD is in Philosophy. You know, because that's where the money is.)

As
>>52215301
says, it looks like pre-built gaming PCs are still hilariously overwrought. (Thanks for the link here, too, btw!)

>>52215356
It isn't. They aren't. I'm not. I do. I do. I do.

>>52215364
Distressingly, weed doesn't help either. I smoked enough to know!
>>
>>52215475

Ignore bait, Anon. Such as >>52215356
>>
File: a (46).jpg (48 KB, 437x373) Image search: [Google]
a (46).jpg
48 KB, 437x373
>>52215475

Oh, two other things. Don't bother with multiple GPU's, they aren't worth it. Terrible scaling, pocket the money and buy a newer card in a year if the performance matters for you that much.

And if stuck between two cards of the Nvidia series 700 and 900, which you most likely will be, pay a little more for the 9.

i.e. between the gtx 780 and gtx 980, get the 980, trust me. The heat and power consumption are just two of the many reasons you shouldn't fall into the trap of trying to save a bit of money by buying an older card that is advertised as equal.
>>
>>52215356
>people get cancer because of emotions
/g/ is really this tinfoil holy shit

I've had osterosarcoma (bone cancer) and lung cancer for the better part of a decade. I exercise daily, have a husband, and a successful career. I probably won't make it another five years but my daughter will be born soon and I'll have made my impact on this world. I do my best to make everyone around me happy. I go out of the way to help every human being around me. Don't you dare tell me I got this horrible disease because of a fucking mental disorder.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.