[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, let's talk modern c++. I used to be a smug c programmer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: roger-cigarrette-pipe.png (664 KB, 2120x1600) Image search: [Google]
roger-cigarrette-pipe.png
664 KB, 2120x1600
Hey /g/, let's talk modern c++.

I used to be a smug c programmer who was convinced that c++ was just a bunch of bloat. However, after looking at the new features of the language, I've determined that opinion was wrong. Here's why:
* move semantics
* type inference
* lvalues/rvalues
* lambda expressions, and the control given to the programmer to determine how to capture the lambda's parent scope
* polymorphic STL is unbelievably extendable and robust
* robust and modern libraries that have been developed by the likes of Facebook and Google that support modern web development

Yeah, you can emulate this stuff in C, but it will take significantly more LoC, and the compiler won't be on your side. It's a lot easier to write a robust and modern application in C++ than C today.

What are your thoughts, /g/?
>>
C++ 11 + STL is very nice and very modern but with that syntaxis the code sometimes become hard to read, for desktop apps on linux or windows i prefer c++ over C# or Java because is harder to reverse engineer the native code , i dont have the same helps or libraries ,still a good option though
>>
>>52213194
I basically share most John Blows opinions on this topic, though I use modern features when they actually make sense.
>>
>>52213194
What have you made and published? Anything?
>>
>>52213194
i wish whey would have added an std network library. It would have made life so much easier.
>>
>>52213908
>>52213194
I wish they would have added sane modules and a good package manager first.
>>
>>52213987
true dat
>>
Welcome to 30 years ago?
>>
>>52213194
>C++ finally catching up with Rust
>>
>>52213987
Agree with this nigger
>>
>>52213987
So much this
>>
>>52214231
Rust has been positively influencing C++, but C++ has an advantage in terms of existing libraries, momentum, industry support, and community.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.