[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me, or are there more people on /g/ using Linux than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: linux vs windows.png (20 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
linux vs windows.png
20 KB, 800x400
Is it just me, or are there more people on /g/ using Linux than before?

I remember there were only a couple Linux threads back in 2007-2010, and they were mostly trolling. Now it seems like almost half of /g/ uses it.
>>
>>52203018
the new users couldn't handle the memes, the memes took over them
>>
>>52203018
My gut says it may have something to do with Win 8 or Win 10.
Or perhaps they finally finished installing Gentoo
>>
>>52203018
maybe we actually tried it out...?
>>
Windows 10 has given a lot of people an excuse to try something else.
>>
>>52203018
> C:>_
Since when does Linux use letters to map drives?
>>
Pretty sure /g/ is like 98% of the people who use Linux.
>>
File: uhh no.gif (2 MB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
uhh no.gif
2 MB, 500x384
>falling for the Linux meme
>>
File: pepe_.png (132 KB, 396x454) Image search: [Google]
pepe_.png
132 KB, 396x454
>>52203018
>Linux
>c prompt

Kill yourself my man
>>
>>52203622
It's a perfectly valid, if stupid, $PS1.
>>
>>52203018
it's comfy and customizable, now that there's more and more games, each day i have one less reason to have a windows partition
>>
>>52203288
>>52203563

can confirm, Windows 8 and 10 (no 9...?) pretty much ruined Windows for me.

funnily enough, I think OP's pic is accurate with the exception of >>52203622

Linux...just isn't all that functional out of the box most of the time and everyone just says "it's a feature :^)" and expect people to waste time "customizing" it and constantly googling forums for vague answers
>>
>>52203759
>muh out of the box

Yeah, that was ten years ago m8. Any retard can install Mint and have literally everything they need justwerk now
>>
>>52203759
>just isn't all that functional out of the box most of the time and everyone just says
This is not true, an installation of ubuntu ships a lot of useful programs and doesn't require to search drivers, there's even an utility to fetch the few drivers that could not be included in the installation media, installing the codecs and other restricted utilities is straightforward and easy too.

>and everyone just says "it's a feature :^)"
you're making up this, if you have a grudge because someone trolled you in the past just get over it

>expect people to waste time "customizing"
No one expects that, as i explained before most linux distros are way more usable than a fresh windows installation ootb.

>and constantly googling forums for vague answers
You're trying to paint it as something hard but the imo it's good that that there's tons of information about almost any problem rearding linux's distros, so it's not an obscure topic by any means. On top of that most open source programs at least gives you details about the problem, in contrast microsoft is easily the king of giving cryptic error messages if any.
>>
>>52203759
>and expect people to waste time "customizing"
>waste time
You just cannot sell the lack of a feature as a feature (in this case windows having very limited customization options) just by implying that the people who uses that feature is "wasting their time"
>>
>>52203018
>Linux
>c:>
>>
>>52203892
>You're trying to paint it as something hard but the imo it's good that that there's tons of information about almost any problem rearding linux's distros, so it's not an obscure topic by any means. On top of that most open source programs at least gives you details about the problem, in contrast microsoft is easily the king of giving cryptic error messages if any.

Here's the thing though, with microsoft problems you don't have to google it 99% of the time. And when you do, there is usually official documentation that is easy to find and follow. Even for something like Ubuntu I've had to muddle through forums with unclear directions or wrong solutions for basic stuff that works out of the box in microsoft.

I'm not dismissing Linux, I think the whole thing has made huge strides in the last decade, but it still fails so hard at basic things like easily accessible troubleshooting documentation.
>>
Never had a need for using Linux. Updated to Windows 10. Microsoft took away power users ability to tweak under the hood. Installed Mint and only boot to Windows when I want to play games.
>>
>>52204128
>Here's the thing though, with microsoft problems you don't have to google it 99% of the time.
> And when you do, there is usually official documentation that is easy to find and follow.
Could you give an example?

>Even for something like Ubuntu I've had to muddle through forums with unclear directions or wrong solutions
My experience has been exactly the opposite, with linux i normally has found straightforward solutions. The worst that can happen is if you have a piece of hardware that is not supported by any means (generally if it's too recent) however it's always fixed later and the support lasts much more than on windows, for windows there's some old hardware that i haven't managed to make it work with recent versions but just works with linux, all depends on how locked to windows is a piece of software or hardware.

>but it still fails so hard at basic things like easily accessible troubleshooting documentation.
Why do you think that the documentation on linux is not easily accessible? As you said, there's wikis, forums and the bug trackers are public, i just cannot call that "not easily accessible"
>>
>>52203018
Linux for desktops is in a lot better shape than it was in 2007 or even 2010
>>
>>52204362
Actually, just in my opinion i started considering linux a good substitute for windows around the last quarter of 2013, now the biggest challenge is not a technical one but to strive for a cultural change:
>developers who still uses APIs that tie them to an specific OS
>developers practically only optimize their programs for windows, for example regarding games, a lot of ports has reduced performance because they were an afterthought and they preferred to take the easy way by using API wappers (sometimes works pretty fine though depending on how the game was programmed)
>Hardware companies that mostly ignores linux, this is very notorious regarding gaming hardware who relies on a program that is only available for windows, amd is also a big problem, but fortunately looks like things could be changing: http://wccftech.com/amds-answer-to-nvidias-gameworks-gpuopen-announced-open-source-tools-graphics-effects-and-libraries/
>>
>>52203759
That's kind of a myth
If a person can read he or she is capable of installing and running Linux. It took me 3 hours to set up my system and most of those hours were spent jerking off while waiting for packages to download.
>>
File: 1451647658652.png (250 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
1451647658652.png
250 KB, 700x600
>>52203018
>C:>_
>>52203576
>>52203622
This picture is made by a clueless winbabby who are just too afraid of terminal thats why
>>52203053
Or perhaps windows 8 was a massive pile of shit compared to 7, then came 8.1 and finally 10. Something happened
>>
>>52206146
is*
>>
The only reason people think GNU+Linux is worse out-of-the-box than windows is because they actually had to install an operating system for the first time instead of buying a prebuilt PC that someone else already installed windows on for them
>>
>>52203018

Linux on anything internet facing. Windows on everything else.
>>
It's more a case of more people using computers for less. Linux does internet and media playback, and more and more people only use computers for these things.
>>
>>52204146
The reasonable way for a gaymer to do things. Do double booting gamers also use Linux for gaymen? There are many games available for Linux now as well.
>>
>>52203288
After catching windows 10 doing some weird shit after reviewing my pcap and FW logs, I switched to nix perm.
>>
>>52206235
Is it bad I sometimes use the lynx browser for my Google needs?
>>
>>52206217
underrated
>>
>>52206235
Ignorant shitposters are the worst. I am tired of maming serious replies to statements like these.
>>
>less than 2% market share after 20+ years of existing.

>still considered a legitimate OS
>>
>>52206517
He's right though.
Otherwise tablets wouldn't have sold.
>>
File: 1446094157719.jpg (236 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1446094157719.jpg
236 KB, 1000x1000
>>52203018

There's definitely a lot of Fagoo/Loonix dick suckers on this board and that's the reason it's becoming cancer. Freetards attack anything and everything with their shitty memes. To list a few we've got:

> Everythings a botnet
> Unix is a good architecture
> Standard consumer operating systems like Wangblows and HomOSX are bad
> le open source means we're more secure and the NSA could never put in a backdoor
> Desktop thread, loli-pedo-fedora-neet edition

Unfortunately though there's no way to get rid of them. They lurk around in the shadows waiting, watching, and always ready to feed.
>>
File: 1450411115472.jpg (54 KB, 620x439) Image search: [Google]
1450411115472.jpg
54 KB, 620x439
>>52206549

They'll kill themselves after long enough. windows users are the well adjusted non obsessed ones. Linux users have nothing else to sustain them.
>>
>>52206535
>winbabby: the argument
>>
>>52206549
>>52206605
>i can't think of any reasons to justify my use of malware except personally attacking people who are smart enough to avoid it with stereotypes
>>
>>52206637
>>52206609

>Content free posts
>malware

lol
>>
>>52206915
epic, +1'd xDD
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.