[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say Arch is such a "time sink OS"? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: meme.png (678 KB, 2996x2511) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
678 KB, 2996x2511
Why do people say Arch is such a "time sink OS"? I spent today installing it from scratch and it was essentially a joke. If you're coming from just about any other distro, a lot of the shit is the exact same. I literally just had to copy over my configurations and install all the packages I needed and everything works just fine.

Anyway, I'm not here to say Arch is "the best", you can easily use Linux Mint or Ubuntu and do all the same shit (I was on Mint for about 6 months), but really Arch just lets you install a system more of your own, its only a time sink if you are just clueless about how shit works.

The only thing that was a pain in the ass was installing proprietory AMD drivers.
>>
>AMD

>not S3

it's 2001
>>
>>52201449
>Why do people say Arch is such a "time sink OS"?
Because they think the shit about everything breaking every update just because it's muh bleeding edge terknalegay is true.
The truth is, shit doesn't break that often, and if it broke it's your own fault in the first place.

It's just a meme, just like gentoo.
>>
>>52201449
>I spent today installing it from scratch and it was essentially a joke
The game has only just begun, OP.
>>
>>52201449
If you want a real time sink distro use gentoo!
>>
>if something breaks, enable unstable repos
>pacman -Syyuu
>if that breaks on you, disable unstable repos
>pacman -Syyuu

repeat

SYSADMIN MASTER EZ
>>
>>52201513
I just noticed it gets a lot of shit in other threads and granted its not simple right away but if you've spent any good amount of time with any other distro its really not that bad at all.

>>52201539
Maybe it has, but I'm having zero issues so far. The driver install was pretty complex but I've already had lots of scripts and configurations that I've written in the past and I was able to get everything the exact same as my Mint install except now I have about 1500 less packages, which is really fucking nice.
>>
You spent a day to install it? O/S should take 30mins to install and done. Only configuring servers should take a day, not your daily driver.
>>
>>52201513
I think /g/ should be rename to memes!
>>
>>52201615
I'm not a complete expert, it was my first time doing it as well so I took a few hours, I didn't spend all day, but I mean even enabling stuff with systemctl and setting up everything was really way more straight forward than I was expecting thats all.
>>
>Why do people say Arch is such a "time sink OS"?

>I spent today installing it from scratch
you spent today, meanwhile a new ubuntu user was up in the first 15 minutes of the morning with no reading or anything required.
>>
It's a rolling release, things are going to eventually break and require manual adjustments.
>>
>>52201717
Thats fair, I could definitely do it faster my 2nd time around, but I was getting the vibe around here that people were suggesting using Arch and installing it would take days/weeks, when thats simply not true/a meme.
>>
>>52201449
>but really Arch just lets you install a system more of your own

What if I don't care about personalization and customization in the slightest?
>>
>>52201764
I'm not about to stay here and go through all the arguments again but did you read this doublespeak and mislogic?

>15 minutes every time

Versus

>entire day first time
"Oh but I could do it faster next time!"
>more than 15 minutes second time?
>>
>>52201449
>I spent today installing it from scratch
And any normal person would've achieved the same in 10-20 minutes depending on hardware capabilities.

Now wait for the mememan package management to fuck your config files sideways, it's so great after all innit

Time well spent faggot.
>>
>>52201824
Then you're a soulless robot.
>>
>>52201650
archfags are the ones claiming the installation makes you a super l33t hacker
>>
>>52201846
Yeah you're right, its slower and not necessary to bother with Arch for just a general distro experience, but I don't see why people just write it off so much when you can still learn some stuff from installing it.

>>52201849
Sure, 10-20 mins is realistic if you're fairly familiar with the command line and know what you want and are after. Also I've had no problems with pacman, I already have shit backed up properly if things really went to shit, so I don't see why you feel the need to shit post like this.
>>
>>52201851

Yes, one that has almost no free time outside of work. If I had some time, maybe I would care about tinkering.
>>
>>52201933
>Sure, 10-20 mins is realistic if you're fairly familiar with the command line and know what you want and are after.
I was talking about normal people using normal distros, not neckbeards who have nothing else to do
>>
There's also Antergos if you don't like the Arch 'installer' https://antergos.com/
>>
>>52201970
You could do tinkering in your job.
Otherwise, you're a wage slave.
>>
I like arch because pacman/yaourt are the tits

I like how I can see optional deps and shit I don't need
-Qdt/-Qdtt
>>
>>52201449
Because people are retarded and can't follow the simplest of directions
If you have to do more than click a few button prompts then it's automatically too hard
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.