[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck is software so fucking bloated these days? God damn,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Fat_bastard.jpg (17 KB, 385x324) Image search: [Google]
Fat_bastard.jpg
17 KB, 385x324
Why the fuck is software so fucking bloated these days? God damn, I can't find any software of any kind that isn't bloated beyond belief. When did wasting system resources on useless horseshit become the industry standard?
>>
>>52200791
why are you so bloated?
>>
>>52200791
uTorrent 2.2.1.
You're welcome.
>>
>>52200791
i want my babyback, babyback, babyback RAMs
>>
>>52200791
probably because hardware is so good these days they just think fuck it if you're running on low specs.
>>
File: FatBastard.jpg (70 KB, 659x431) Image search: [Google]
FatBastard.jpg
70 KB, 659x431
>>52200791
I'm dead sexy!
>>
Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

You can take your 10MB garbage software to the trash with you, since software is now faster than ever due to various advances in technology.
>>
The basics of current commercial software development has become the "everyone changes his computer every 2 years so don't bother with optimization".

So we poorfags/bad goyim suffer.

It will hit the ceiling tho,
Moore's law willl (if it wasn't already) thrown out of the window.
>>
>>52200869
When software is as bloated as it is, all systems feel like low-spec systems because everything is so fucking sloppy.

Unused memory is absolutely wasted memory, but the shit some programs hog resources for is completely insane.
>>
>>52200948
>Unused RAM is wasted RAM.
Sure you dumb nigger. RAM that can be put to good use is not wasted

RAM used because currysoft employs Indian codemonkeys is.
>>
>>52200948
Software isn't as fast as it could be because shit programmers are shit at optimizing their shit code and love to slap useless, resource intensive nonsense onto their already dysfunctional garbage to make it seem useful and modern when it really is just a load of steaming shit.
>>
>1995
>Windows 95
>you canrun the OS, a media player, Web browser and a text processor before everything slows down

>fast forward 20 years
>4GB of ram is a standard
>still can run the os, a media player, webbrowser and and a text processor before everything slows down

Progress my ass
>>
>>52201125
BUT THINK OF ALL THE EXTRA FEATURES WE HAVE NOW MAN

THINK OF THE ~~~/FEATURES/~~~
>>
>>52200791
>program that prints hello world after 2 min of 90℅ cpu usage and 4gb of ram being used by it
>>
It is like this:

>80s
ram 4k
Program must fit in there
optimize
takes 3.5k
bearly works

>2010s
ram 64G
Program big but not optimized because shit that's not our business if the user has not at least 128G of ram
prog bearly works

result:
If todays software would be optimized like in the early days we could do a lot more with the current hardware

In addition people have to realize that it's not important to have high-res (4k) video resolution but then use shitty optics (iPhone) so they get noise (which is the cancelled by algorithms) converted to high res mud and awful looking images.
>>
>>52200791
>When did wasting system resources on useless horseshit become the industry standard?

About the same time we got 8c16t cpu's for browsing facebook. There's little no no point in anally optimising software these days unless it's for things like scientific computing.
>>
>>52201125
moores law will fix this, if we don't progress wit quantum computers
>>
>>52201357
Moore's law end is near
Quantum computing isn't faster

Jesus fucking christ fuck off to /v/eddit
>>
>>52201357
Quantum computers are only good for a specific set of problems, not for general purpose computing. Also regardless of Moore's Law, the law of diminishing returns is starting to set in. All of the low hanging fruit are gone with processor performance, so it is costing alot of money for not much gain. Hopefully people start optimizing their shit once it gets prohibitively expensive to keep optimizing processors.
>>
>>52201125
Yeah but now you get a fancy new ui and desktop effects.
That's worth using 1000x the ram, isn't it?
>>
>>52200865
transmission/transmission-qt
>>
>github pushing the meme that all desktop apps should be running on Chromium backends
>Atom brings the unresponsiveness and 3 GB of memory usage of Chrome to a text editor

literally kill me right now
>>
>>52200865
>uTorrent
>not Halite
if you're gonna winblows, do it right
>>
>>52200791
Programmers took Moore's law as a given so they took the easy way and designed for a future that never came
>>
>>52202306
top kek
>>
>>52202306
>Programmers
Corporations. Actual programmers knowing what they're doing (not curryniggers taken from the street) would be more than happy to optimize shit than to shit on everything with pointless features
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.