[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teh Pirate Bay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10
File: hydrabaynew.jpg (48 KB, 650x435) Image search: [Google]
hydrabaynew.jpg
48 KB, 650x435
If the original domain is currently the subject of court proceedings, Is it safe to assume that the copyright nazi's, hollyweird trolls, and MPAA shills would be monitoring and logging all activity vigorously at this present time? So that when TPB loses it's case, they'll have all recent users dox?

TL;DR Is TPB honeypot?
>>
Worst case your ISP sends you a warning also

>Not using a VPN while torrenting.
>>
>>52198317
In what shitty country do you live?
>>
>>52198317
I stopped using TPB 3 years ago because there were so many scares that it became a honeypot but wasn't but was but wasn't but etc. etc.

I'd rather not worry about it because I never know just how covered my ass is
>>
I've never actually understood the reasoning of pirates. If you think something is overpriced/unfair, then make a point and don't watch/play it.
>>
>>52198353
There was a guy that spoke at DEFCON about the CIA model for opsec among other things. I'm trying to find the video. He spoke about VPNs and it was very informative. I think there is a lot to consider when going that route.
>>
>>52198434
Amerifat reporting in
>>
>>52198511
Art is intangible. Art exists today in this highly digital age. Let us all take a step back technologically to ensure that all creative minds "get a trophy" ? That mentality produces shit tier Art.
>>
>>52198317
>If the original domain is currently the subject of court proceedings, Is it safe to assume that the copyright nazi's, hollyweird trolls, and MPAA shills would be monitoring and logging all activity vigorously at this present time? So that when TPB loses it's case, they'll have all recent users dox?

No, proceedings for the website and domain are separate from users torrenting media.
that doesn't mean it is "safe", tpb is the most well known torrent site and it has been for a long time.
>>
>>52198511
pirating is more or less "try before you buy"
>>
>>52198633
yeah, not at all.
>>
>>52198518
Find it please, sounds interesting
>>
>>52198642
thanks for you opinion
>>
>>52198646
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1q4Ir2J8P8
>>
>>52198673
you're welcome. "Try before buy" is an excuse used by pirates to justify their acquisition at no cost.
>>
>>52198633
>>52198642
In my case it is. I downloaded True Detective Season 1. I loved it so much, that later that year during the holidays, I spent $60 on the blu ray set.
>>
>>52198694
This stance is outdated. Overly capitalistic companies cannot tell me what type of consumer I have to or should be.
>>
>>52198694
implying theres something actually being acquired when pirating
>>
>>52198624
Based
>>
>>52198694
You can shitpost all you want but everything I've ever pirated I would not have bought if I couldn't have pirated it.

It's that simple. There is no lost sale cause I would not have bought it. This even applies to Windows.
>>
> implying the CIA can sue you

top fucking keks m8s l2law
>>
>>52198745
you can consider it a service if you want, but it's a paid-for as defined by the production company. The reason for this is, there is actual work required to make the media in this form.

>>52198776
I don't disagree with that, I disagree with "try before buy".
>>
>>52198317
> Not knowing the TPB has been using Cloudflare for at least one year
> Not knowing all traffic passing through Cloudflare is logged and monitored to detect "spam"
> Not knowing Cloudflare® (a US Company) will share your data with the feds anyway
>>
>>52198511
Heres my reasoning: Im not paying for shit.
>>
File: wut.png (94 KB, 450x405) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
94 KB, 450x405
>>52198777
>>
>>52198807
Then why are you downloading it.
>>
>>52198731
you're not a legitimate consumer if you use unlicensed channels
>>
>>52198805
Based
>>
>>52198828
Because I want it. Jesus, do I have to explain the concept of thievery to you?
>>
File: almonds.jpg (42 KB, 650x365) Image search: [Google]
almonds.jpg
42 KB, 650x365
>>52198845
>unlicensed channels
>mfw
>>
What data are you guys talking about? You do know anyone who wants to can see the IP of people on any public tracker, not just pirate bay. The MPAA doesn't need court proceedings to moniter pirates.
>>
>>52198802
I actually consider it as an advertisement, and I do buy the vynils/boxset/bluerays when I discover somehitng worth acquiring, because having the physical medium is the only thing worth something, producing an album is not all, caring for a nice physical medium is very important, both of this is the final real product, and when you really want it you buy it, theres no pirating that can replace it
>>
>>52198805
cf employee here, we don't log anything of that nature that would expose end user ips fyi
>>
>>52198902
This is me

Anon is me
>>
>>52198905
If you guys get a National Security letter, it is illegal for you to inform the customer. A lot can be placed under the veil of National Security.

>inb4 the Patriot Act
>>
>>52198353
>paying to pirate
>not using irc which is safer, free, and has faster speeds
>>
>>52199042
Also
>thinking your vpn won't sell you down the river in the event of a threat
>>
>>52199093
you should be happy there aren't many people leeching your IRC bots dry, pham
>>
there are people in this thread that actually think that people would buy shit if htey weren't able to download it

same poeple should think about what it was back then, when no one knew shit about other peoples work because it wasnt shown in their local tv or newspapers

tpb or any other "pirate" site is like "hey, check what just got released in Finland, do you know that Director, here, click this link if you like it, check it out and talk about it"

it's a win win, everyone thats actually thought it through knows it
>>
>>52198905
Then how do you detect spammer ips?
>>
>>52198676
30 mins to it and it's painful to watch
>>
>>52199269
What do you mean?

He's kind of all over the place but there is some good info.
>>
>>52199219
it's a win for unknown indie artists. this is not a win for blockbuster movies that were advertised on the street.

and no, not everyone would buy it. "problem" are normalfags that would rather torrent instead of buying in store or renting. the more mainstream the downloading becomes, the bigger the loss in sales. in case of music it had already become a big problem to those companies, very low CD sales.
>>
>>52199348
>it's a win for unknown indie artists. this is not a win for blockbuster movies that were advertised on the street.

Thanks for confirming that it is actually an advantage

>the more mainstream the downloading becomes, the bigger the loss in sales. in case of music it had already become a big problem to those companies, very low CD sales.

this is half wrong and half >implying an artist makes money from cd sales
>>
>>52199348
Fast forward to today and look at it though.. CD's are obsolete shit, streaming services are shit (especially with mobile data caps), iTunes and similar music services are shit because you don't actually "own" the music and the company can pull a song/artist from your library for a number of reasons (not to mention it locks you into using their software/devices)....
>>
>>52199307
desu, as much as the discours has valuables in it, I feel bad when I see people trying to make a change or carry information for the masses, that swears and perpetuates the childish "fuck socitey" image
>>
>>52199421
>Thanks for confirming that it is actually an advantage

you don't get to decide what should be damaged or receive losses, you can't burn down a walmart either for disagreeing with their business model.

>this is half wrong and half >implying an artist makes money from cd sales
yes they do.
>>
>>52199534
I understand completely. I personally would want to come off as matter of fact and professional as possible. Especially if I'm attempting to convey mass altering information.
>>
>>52199557
>you can't burn down a walmart either for disagreeing with their business model

but I can argue what business model should be promoted/allowed for the benefit of our people

>yes they do.
telll me the amount of money an artist is actually making from the sale of 1 cd, or even how much is it making from having their stuff stream on spotitunes?
>>
File: the-great-divide[1].png (70 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
the-great-divide[1].png
70 KB, 576x864
>>52199641
>but I can argue what business model should be promoted/allowed for the benefit of our people
of course. pirates just disrespect existing law though, and use this for their advantage...

>telll me the amount of money an artist is actually making from the sale of 1 cd
according to the picture the band gets about 13% of the sale of a CD. however if the band doesn't sell enough and they are in a record label, they are helped out with the "record label tax" on successful CDs.
>>
File: sanic.jpg (22 KB, 378x442) Image search: [Google]
sanic.jpg
22 KB, 378x442
>>52198511
Cucked by the jews. That's how they want you to feel/think/act. They want you to spend money on digital art so you spend even MORE money at the live show.
>>
>>52199733
>of course. pirates just disrespect existing law though, and use this for their advantage.

I'm not a porte-parole of pirates, I was just expressing my thoughts on this matter

>according to the picture the band gets about 13% of the sale of a CD. however if the band doesn't sell enough and they are in a record label, they are helped out with the "record label tax" on successful CDs.

I wish I had more free times, that picture, doesnt sum the whole situation at all, when I like an artist I go to his show and buy a t-shirt
>>
>>52198511
property is theft
>>
>>52200000
quads confirm
>>
>>52198511
All of human history must be extremely difficult for someone with severe autism like yourself to understand.
>people want product
>people don't want to pay for product
>people steal product
What does your little brain not understand?
>>
>>52200036
confirmed unable to count
>>
>>52200036
>that retarded or just trolling
>>
>>52200000
Oh my God
Fuckn checked
>>
>>52198676
>reddit.org - The Video
>>
>>52199456
This anon speaks the truth. I don't pirate shit because I'm unwilling to pay for it, piracy is at this point the most convenient way of consuming media. Also the people that create stuff can suck my dick.
>>
>>52199456
Dude agree so much, one of the reasons pirating is a thing when it comes to movies is that streaming and most of the services is shit and majorely flawed in many ways. Look at netflix in example, they are quite popular, but don't fucking have a 10% of the good new movies. Therefore ppl go to popcorn time which is easy available supports almoast every new movie and nearly zero bullshit
>>
>>52200178
Yes they may also suck my dick aswell fuk u Hollywood
>>
>>52198317
>tfw my shitty country has so many problems it gives literally no fucks for digital pirates
Living in the 3rd world has it's perks I guess
>>
>>52200138
lel
>>
>>52200637
Some nice perspective you have there Anon. Sometimes all we may have are small things.

>inb4 not a feel bread
>>
There is literally no way to justify piracy other than when it's not available to buy where you live.

If you want to try out software and there's no trial version then you can contact the company or look at software from another company. Artists choose to licence with a company that is greedy. If your major requires you to use certain software that's overpriced then switch to a different university or major.

Literally no way.
>>
>>52201144
Your use if the term "Piracy" is too general. There are other forms of media that people share that are technically not as readily available. Such as Old Games, Magazines, Books, Documents, etc.
>>
File: fresh.jpg (221 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
fresh.jpg
221 KB, 600x450
>>52200000
witnessed
>>
>>52201236
I'm only talking about copying media without expressed permission.
>>
File: chosenOne.png (73 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
chosenOne.png
73 KB, 618x618
>>52201144
>There is literally no way to justify piracy

>>52199042
I'm intrigued. Care to elaborate?
>>
>>52201288
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI
>>
>>52201364
>An argument I can't win? I'll just call it bait!
>>
I even crack niche android apps to backup them for future use

I don't share them tho. I'd pirate them if I could get em for free tho. Because the niche is limited I also cannot share them as they could trace me I guess and sue me to shit tho.
>>
>>52201144
thank god not everything I do has to be justified
>>
>>52201580
I'm only after the people who try to justify piracy.
>>
File: not-b8.jpg (9 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
not-b8.jpg
9 KB, 255x255
>>52201439
>no one could ever disprove my universal maxim! That would be totes hard!
But I'll bite.
If you read https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/misinterpreting-copyright.html but then decide that we have enough art that we can stop sacrificing any freedom, that's a justification.

In Kantian ethics, an action is only immoral if it is self-defeating. If everyone pirated, the industry would find alternative ways of making money, eg https://www.schneier.com/cryptography/archives/1998/11/the_street_performer.html

That's two, off the top of my head.
>>
>>52201641
I don't see how your link and conclusion relate.

Harming an individual is immoral. Copyright attempts to balance the harm of allowing copying with the author's right to their property. I didn't say copyright is the only way to make money.
>>
>>52202080
>Copyright attempts to balance the harm of allowing copying with the author's right to their property
I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm still pretty sure you're wrong. The article by Stallman sums it up nicely.

> The copyright system works by providing privileges and thus benefits to publishers and authors; but it does not do this for their sake. Rather, it does this to modify their behavior: to provide an incentive for authors to write more and publish more. In effect, the government spends the public's natural rights, on the public's behalf, as part of a deal to bring the public more published works. Legal scholars call this concept the “copyright bargain.” It is like a government purchase of a highway or an airplane using taxpayers' money, except that the government spends our freedom instead of our money.

Stallman addresses the "striking a balance" concept in the same article, in the section 'The first error: “striking a balance”'
>>
>>52198676
>]
this guy actually did a talk like 5 years ago about getting his stolen computer back that was pretty cool
>>
>>52199042
>and has faster speeds

Can it saturate my 500mbit line like torrents can?
>>
>>52198828
Because the idea I should need to pay for shit to know if it's really shit or not is retarded. I have never bought anything I have not tried for free first and I have save quite a lot of money because of it. I still buy BD, vinyls, concert tickets, services and everything with one important distinction: I don't help shit companies that have to use for of law to keep making continue existing.
>>
File: 1450249880487.jpg (139 KB, 814x814) Image search: [Google]
1450249880487.jpg
139 KB, 814x814
>>52200000
JIZZUS CRUST
>>
>>52200000
Niceeee
>>
File: Cassette recorder.jpg (121 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cassette recorder.jpg
121 KB, 1000x1000
Pirating music used to be more rad
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.