[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just installed firefox, but was never really familiar with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: firefox-256.e2c1fc556816.jpg (19 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
firefox-256.e2c1fc556816.jpg
19 KB, 256x256
I just installed firefox, but was never really familiar with it. What are some essential plugins/things to know?
>>
1. Install uBlock Origin

2. Follow this: https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/

3. Complete
>>
>>52194299
Tree style tabs. Only reason to use ff
>>
>>52194299
>Ads / scripts / 3rd-party / general content blocker
uBlock Origin
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

>Advanced content blocker / firewall
uMatrix
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/umatrix/

>Automatic cookie management
Self-Destructing Cookies
https://addons.mozilla.orgfirefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/

>Reduce tracking from content delivery networks
Decentraleyes
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/decentraleyes/

>Make supported sites use HTTPS by default
HTTPS-Everywhere
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/https-everywhere/

Those are all the necessary ones. Everything else is personal taste, but you should keep additional ones to a minimum as it may impact performance.
>>
>>52194421
>2.
This is maximum tinfoil, only recommended for advanced and/or autistic users.
If you're a first-time Firefox users I would wait a little with this…
>>
>>52194473
:)
>>
>>52194492
What's advanced about it? You download a user.js file, put it in your profile folder and then it's done.

From my own experience, only two things in it break websites, which is the referer spoofer and the private browsing mode. But you can easily delete those from the user.js file yourself.
>>
>>52194473
Is there any benefit to using Self-Destructing Cookies in private browsing? I left it on one day for about 3 hours and checked the stats when it said it hadn't deleted any cookies I uninstalled it. I do use everything else on that list though.
>>
>>52194537
>You download a user.js file, put it in your profile folder and then it's done.
Yeah well it's only that easy if you are fine with trusting his choices blindly.
What I mean is you should be aware of what all of these settings do before you go ahead and apply them.
Also, some of these settings WILL "break" the Internet, so to speak. A beginner may not be OK with, or expecting, that.

Basically I just mean you should familiarize yourself with about:config and all that jazz before you apply a user.js file that toggles a billion ones at once.
>>
Classic Theme Restorer is invaluable for customizing the look and feel of Firefox, especially considering Mozilla's recent design choices.
>>
>>52194597
>>Yeah well it's only that easy if you are fine with trusting his choices blindly.

His choices can easily be found yourself in about:config. And everything he changes can be shown inside the user.js file itself. On top of that, he explains what each change does.

>>What I mean is you should be aware of what all of these settings do before you go ahead and apply them.

True.

>>Also, some of these settings WILL "break" the Internet, so to speak. A beginner may not be OK with, or expecting, that.

True again.

>>Basically I just mean you should familiarize yourself with about:config and all that jazz before you apply a user.js file that toggles a billion ones at once.

Valid point.

The OP did ask what some essential things to know are and I consider those changes to be essential.
>>
>>52194586
>Is there any benefit to using Self-Destructing Cookies in private browsing
Yes. Private Browsing only clears your cookies (and other stuff) after you quit Firefox (or close every Private Browsing window at least) whereas SDC clears cookies after tabs are closed.

This means that different sites could still track you during the session in Private Browsing to some extent.
SDC also has the benefit of whitelisting certain sites like for example 4chan if you want to keep your settings while clearing everything else.
>>
install a dark css user style or FT DeepDark addon. The default firefox looks fucking hideous
>>
uBlock Origin

uMatrix

Classic Theme Restorer

Greasemonkey if you want to use 4chan X (far superior to the inline extension)

DownThemAll if you find yourself needing it
>>
>>52194747
For UI I would also suggest one of these two:

>Classic Theme Restorer
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

>Developer Edition theme enabler
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/devedition-theme-enabler/
>>
>>52194299
Why using a Chrome copycat product? If you like some Open Source product which is not rotten to the bone, try out Qupzilla or Otter Browser.

Firefox is only a copycat and it will never reach the quality of Blink engine.
>>
>>52194473

This is a good start. Let me provide a few alternatives and others that I use. Don't forget that one of Firefox's benefits is it has the best extension system of major browsers and is the only one made for the user, not for advertisers. Oh, and don't forget if your'e a Windows user to download the 64-bit Firefox (provided your system supports it!). Some extensions besides those listed on the above post.

Disconnect Private Browsing (www.disconnect.me ) - This works similar to other tracker blockers, but it is pretty user friendly. Note that the new tracker protection in Firefox Private Mode windows is powered by Disconnect Private Browsing. Note that you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and pick "Disconnect Private Browsing" which is an open source extension, compared to "disconnect" itself which is a VPN and whatnot product that the company sells.

Disconnect Private Search (www.disconnect.me) same page as above, bnut go to "Private Search". This gives you a button that allows you to search Google, Bing, Yahoo,etc... privately by proxying your search with all the other users of the extension so Google or whatnot can't catalog what you're searching

Privacy Badger (www.eff.org/privacybadger) - This is another tracker blocker by the EFF. Its semi-beta ish but it isn't too hard to use. However I do find it breaks sites more than some others like Disconnect Private Browsing. Still, it is by the EFF and you can easily disable a tracker.

Note that you don't need to use ALL of those above and you probably shouldn't. I would suggest one ad-blocker (preferably uBlock Origin) and one tracker blocker, though uBlock Origin may actually block many trackers too. Give me a sec and I'll list a few others including those less security related.
>>
>>52194299
It really does not matter how Mozilla tries, no matter how many Webkit prefixes they implement or how many Google Chrome features they copy like multiprocess, a company which only is able to copy features will never be as good and unique as compared with the original.

But you should have used Firefox until version 22, then you really would have used a superior unique browser. Today, not much of that is left anymore. Mozilla is on par with Opera, they too are only able to copy instead of create things on their own today.
>>
>>52194473
>>52194824
>>All these fucking addons that do the same shit

LMFAO
>>
Few addons I can recommend, besides the must-have ones everyone mentioned:
-Save image in folder and Save link in folder: they do what their name says. Both addons have a customizable list of folders
-Image zoom: let's you zoom and rotate images. Must have for fap sessions
-Singing stallman: listen to the Free Software Song. Contains multiple performances.
-Stylish: you can add a custom css for webpages
-Image search options: adds reverse image search site links to images. A must have if you visit weeb boards.

Eye candy addons:
-Flagfox: displays the flag of the country where the webpage you're currently viewing is located
-Personas plus: if you use FF personas, it's a great addons to manage them.
>>
>>52194824

No Script - Alternative to uMatrix. Disables scripts/blacklist and whitelist them

Better Privacy - Self Destructing Cookies works on "regular" cookies but not "Super" ones (I don't think), AKA Flash ./ Local Shared Object storage. Use Better Privacy to clear em out.

Download Manager (S3) - This allows you to visualize your downloads as a little "status bar" amongst other features. It is actually a remake of an old addon called "download statusbar". Very compact and useful.

FlashGot - It both allows you to rip all kinds of web media (flash, html5 etc..) allows multi and sequential downloads, integrates with external download managers etc... light when you need it, gone when you don't.

Greasemonkey - allows custom userscripts. Lots of great functionality here.

Lightbeam - Mozilla's extension that allows you to see a visual "web" of how different sites know things about you via cookies, trackers etc.. a nice analysis tool to ensure your privacy adddons are working

Random Agent Spoofer - Allows you to use a random or specific browser agent. One of the best of breed .

Stylish - What greasemonkey does for userscripts, Stylish does for styles. Customizes website appearances from your end. Lots of styles out there.

The Addon Bar (restored) - Want a separate bars for your addon buttons? This extension gives you more room for them!
>>
>>52194974

Oh and here are a few site specific examples....

4chan X ( https://github.com/ccd0/4chan-x ) and OneeChan ( https://github.com/Nebukazar/OneeChan ) - These are userscripts that you will need Greasemonkey installed to run. Gives you lots of additional features here to make your chan experience enjoyable. Note there are many 4chanX branches but the one I list is still being updated and works with OneeChan.

If you use le reddit at any point, the extension Reddit Enhancement Suite is helpful - http://www.redditenhancementsuite.com

These are just a few examples of what Firefox extensions can offer. For instance, there's a mod to make logging into ExHentai / sadpanda easy , the ChatZilla IRC client extension, CryptoCat extension for encrypted chat, and much more.
>>
File: Untitled.png (27 KB, 743x398) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27 KB, 743x398
My list that I use
>>
control + T opens new tab
control + W closes tab
control + tab switches to next tab
control + shift + tab switches to previous tab
control + shift + A opens addons manager
control + D adds bookmark
control + B opens bookmark menu
control + J to search
F6 to enter url
>>
>>52195190
>using ghostery
you know thats a botnet right
>>
File: fullpage.png (80 KB, 696x730) Image search: [Google]
fullpage.png
80 KB, 696x730
>>52194299
>>
>>52195994
I opted out of the data collection, is it still a botnet?
>>
>>52196450
>by an ad company
>is it still a botnet
kek
>>
This has most of what you would need.
>>
>>52196851

Some of those are no longer functional, that's an older list I think. Download Statusbar for instance has been replaced by Download Manager S3. Lazarus Form Recovery didnt' work last time I used it but I'll check again. Also, they're mising some of the newer offerings I mentioned above.

>>52196450
>>52196845

In and of itself, probably not but its still not worth using. It is run by an ad company and they do sell metrics on what people are blocking I believe, to advertisers. Now, I am unsure if this is benevolent kinda like how Firefox once had OPTIONAL blank page ads that did NOT track at all, which should have encoruaged advertisers to not be shitty which is what we all want. However, since we can't verify this with Ghostery, its better to use uBlock Origin, Disconnect etc... who aren't run by advertisers at all.
>>
>>52194299
Private Tab. Fuck new windows for private browsing.
>>
>>52194890
>Singing stallman
The addon that I have missed all my life. A button to start the free software song, sung by Stallmann. Right in my browser.

>>52194473
>Decentraleyes
This sounds really interesting. I have been annoyed for a long time now that I always have to allow websites to load jquery from Google in order to work properly.
>>
Is there any good proxy addon for firefox?
>>
Is it possible to get Youtube VP9 on Firefox?
>>
>>52201821
I enabled it and had playback problems at higher resolutions and on 60fps videos
>>
>>52194299
1)
>plugins
No. Addons or extensions. Not plugins. Get it right, it's important and I don't understand why people keep fucking it up.

2)
>installed firefox
>2016+2days
You fucked up right there. Leave firefox, don't even try to get into it anymore. It's a doomed piece of shit.
>>
>>52200719
bump
>>
>>52201821
>>52201982
I have it enabled and have no issues on any resolution/framerate.

If you're interested in trying it about, toggle
media.mediasource.webm.enabled
to true
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.