[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I install so that gnome doesn't look like dog shit ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
What can I install so that gnome doesn't look like dog shit ?
>>
xfce
>>
stick to adwaita and use gnome apps (gthumb, totem, geary for mail and so on)
>>
>>52193681
Do you really mean that xfce looks better? The only better thing it is better at is just rice
>>
>>52193708
xfce looks and functions miles better than gnome. You chose the worst DE, fampai
>>
>>52193708
xfce is HIGHLY customizable
>>
>2016
>not using the superior DE
SHIGGY DIGGY DOO M80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svEMrNaQ50E
>>
>>52193708
If I thought it's worse than anything or is the worst I wouldn't use I, would I? I do admit it has its quirks and I'd like some bits from xfce in it yet it's still the best to me as it looks modern and best (to me at least) of them all (client side windows controls) as well as it is most efficient to work with it. Also I can't literally live with a DE that don't look consistent, I mean here that gnome has nice set of apps - music and video player, picture viewer and so on and they all look like they are part of DE. On top of that the dash is brilliant, I can search web, files, contacts, do math and what not rite in the dash. I just press win key and type what I want. It works similar to what virtual assistants do. On the top of that it's the only DE that supports wayland properly and (im not entirely sure on this one) has proper hidpi support
>>
>>52194319
>>
>>52193764
>>
>>52193647
Gnome is not very customizable compared to every other window manager. change some themes and icons and that's about it. also the background pic.
>>
>>52193647
how about not using gnome?
Use a window manager instead :^)
>>
>>52193647
Install the numix-circle icons and activate the dark theme on gnome-tweak-tool
>>
>>52194394
>gnome
>window manager
>window
>manager
>>
>>52193647
what's the dock everybody uses with gnome?
>>
>>52193647
change to xfce
>>
>>52194495
My brain was vomiting, I meant desktop enviroment.
>>
>>52194525
dash to dock extension
>>
>>52193938
Fucking slow, bloated garbage. The only DE that takes more than 5 seconds to load the fucking desktop on a fresh install.
>>
Windows 10
>>
File: You know it.jpg (82 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
You know it.jpg
82 KB, 832x584
>>52193647
>Gnome
>>
OS X.
>>
Unity
>>
>>52193938
Busted,like my nuts in your mom.
>>
Install the arc theme.
>>
gnome is so ugly

xfce is love

i hear mate is love too
>>
i3
https://i3wm.org/
>>
>>52193681
This

>>52193708
Thus it looks better
>>
>>52195549
Cool wallpaper, you know the artist? I would love something in that style
>>
File: 1451361728569.jpg (74 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1451361728569.jpg
74 KB, 640x640
>>52193647
Install Gentoo
>>
KDE4 for a stable and pretty DE
KDE5 if you want more prettiness at the cost of living on the edge (widgets crashing, weird behaviour).
>>
Mint Linux cinnamon or MATE for first time AKA newfag and any other distro recommendation.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.