[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Switching to Linux from Windows, some questions.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: Moka_Linux_Mint_16.jpg (45 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
Moka_Linux_Mint_16.jpg
45 KB, 700x394
1. Does Photoshop run in WINE well? Or am I better off getting used to GIMP?

2. On a scale from 1-10, how good is Spotify for Linux?

3. Best office software for Linux? Does Office 2010 work well with WINE?

4. Does Steam have a large selection of games for Linux? Do GoldSource games work? (ex. Half-Life)

5. Best alternative to Visual Studio?
>>
>>52192432
Nope, Nope
None, they all suck.
Nope, Nope
>>
If you travel down this path you're going to fucking hate Linux. Just dual-boot for now until you end up using Linux and it's open source alternatives more than proprietary applications that only run well enough for production on Windows.
>>
1) If you want photoshop, use windows, otherwise learn gimp.
2) 10, Spotify for Linux is exactly like windows and mac
3) Use Play on Linux and you can install Office 2010, though I haven't done this myself
4) Games like TF2 and Half Life and Portal are for linux Steam, as well as some other games
5) Not sure about this one
If gaming, photoshop, or visual studio is a priority, stick with windows
>>
>Photoshop
>Spotify
>MS Office
>Steam
>Visual studio

just stay on windows m80
>>
no
works fine
use latex and libreoffice
no. only valve shit like half life works.
lol
>>
>>52192432
>1. Does Photoshop run in WINE well? Or am I better off getting used to GIMP?
DONT KNOW
>2. On a scale from 1-10, how good is Spotify for Linux?
THE SAME
>3. Best office software for Linux? Does Office 2010 work well with WINE?
LATEX WORKS JUST FINE OP :^)
>4. Does Steam have a large selection of games for Linux? Do GoldSource games work? (ex. Half-Life)
TEAM FORTRESS 2, ARK: SURVIVAL EVOLVED, THE LIST GOES ON AND ON
>5. Best alternative to Visual Studio?
I DONT CODE IN C++
>>
>>52192569
>>5. Best alternative to Visual Studio?
>I DONT CODE IN C++
VS isn't just for C++ :^)
>>
>>52192432
No, there are some ways to get ps running as far as I know but don't expect much. If you actually work with graphics stay away from linux. If you just resize wallpapers then gimp will do
I don't know, I don't use trash rental services for poorfags
Libre office. No. If you need office specifically for work stay away from linux. Otherwise libre will do.
>4. Does Steam have a large selection of games for Linux? Do GoldSource games work? (ex. Half-Life)
I don't know
5. Best alternative to Visual Studio?
None, except for compilers + vim/emacs/sublime maybe.
>>
>>52192432
1. No, it doesn't really. Luckily there are a ton of alternatives for you to use, so you aren't forced into a corner.
2. No idea, but from what I've heard it works almost exactly the same.
3. LibreOffice, OpenOffice, LaTeX and Abiword are office programs. You can run Microsoft Word through PlayOnLinux, but seeing as how nearly all word processors on Linux are compatible with Microsoft Word documents and can export documents into .docx format, there's really no point.
4. Yes, it does.
5. I don't use Visual Studio, so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>52192688
>I don't know, I don't use trash rental services for poorfags
>calls others poorfags
>calls 320kbps unlimited streaming massive library trash
>probably pays for a seedbox on what.cd and listens to flac on his s6 edge
lmao @ u
>>
lol you fell for the tinfoilhat meme
>>
>>52192724
lol you fell for the world isn't going 1984/brave new world meme
>>
1. Photoshop on Wine works pretty much perfectly, I use it myself.
2. 10 it's literally the same thing as the windows client
3. Libreoffice is just fine, get over the meme.
4. Steam has a huge selection, see for yourself. Source games are ported over already.
5. text editor + compiler, its a lot simpler in linux
>>
Ahahhaa this switch to linux will end badly... Hey, if you gonna watch movies,program and do basic stuff its ok. For anything else its torment...
>>
>>52192432
Older version of PS runs in wine, GIMP is pretty good as well

Never used Spotify on Linux

LibreOffice, Office 2007/2010/2013 can be installed through PlayonLinux and run properly

Steam has a native client and it runs on Linux without Wine, meaning real performance. You need to check out the PlayonLinux database of supported software for complete details

No idea bout Visual Studio
>>
>>52192962
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/supported_apps.html

here is the list of software running on Wine/Linux
>>
>>
>>52192812
/thread
>>
Thinking of switching from Windows 10 to Debian with GNOME
Help this newfa/g/
>>
VS is for faggots, just install gentoo and use vim.
>>
>>52192432
Just stay the fuck on Windows, because you will end up being another Linux hater on /g/.
>>
Thank me later.

www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/steam-source-games-guide.142/
>>
>>52193032
Make a liveusb for ubuntu gnome to try it out. Debian is harder for a beginner.
>>
File: shia-labeouf-141130.jpg (38 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
shia-labeouf-141130.jpg
38 KB, 618x412
>>52193032
>>
>>52193032
>gnome
lol why
>>
>>52192720
>massive library
nice joke m8 spotify has fucking nothing
>>
>>52193032
>Debian

Don't if you are a newbie. If you like Gnome try Ubuntu Gnome
https://ubuntugnome.org/

It's simple to install, alongside Windows can dual boot and you can play around with it.
>>
>>52193267
What the fuck are you on about? For someone just switching from windows linux Mint with cinnamon is easily the best choice, it works like windows better than fucking windows does.
>>
>>52192432
1: No, photoshop won't run. You can dual boot by having both windows and linux or get used to Gimb

2: It's a native client. 10

3: Libreoffice, nearly nothing works well in Wine. but libreoffice is free AND better.

4: Yes tons of games work, like Saints Row IV, Bioshock infinite and I am pretty sure Half-Life as well. But it still has less games than Windows.

5: Codeblocks probably... But I am going to quote another guy:

"Actually, I recently made the switch from Visual Studio (years of experience there) to Linux and the first thing I did was try to find a reasonable IDE.

And then I noticed that this simply isn't how you work there*, and I threw everything out, spent a few days reading manuals, set up my shell (bash), set up a GVIM environment, learned the GCC/binutils toolchain, make and gdb and lived happily ever after.

There are certainly disadvantages but I am sure that I work much more productive since making the switch."
>>
>>52192850
no it is not, it's better than Windows. I hardly ever use windows after installing linux and after a couple of years of not using windows I just removed windows and havent looked back. Linux is better in everything.
>>
>>52193559
reading is hard
>>
Seriously which I the best environment and why shouldn't I switch from win to debian
>>
>>52194561
>which I the best environment
whichever one you like the best
>>
File: i3Desktop.gif (1 MB, 1188x668) Image search: [Google]
i3Desktop.gif
1 MB, 1188x668
>>52194561
>why shouldn't I switch from win to debian

You might consider it a pain in the ass and have a bad time because everything is not working straight away and so on like you would get with Mint or Ubuntu. It's not like there is something you can do in Debian that you can't do in ubuntu or mint. You can do everything in all distros. The main difference is the package manager (Which is the same on debian as on Ubuntu and Mint) and how it looks, which depend on the enviroment.

If you don't know specifically why you should choose Debian over Ubuntu or Mint then you probably should choose Ubuntu or Mint. Debian is for people who know what packages they need and don't want much extra apart from that and get a lean machine. But you might need something more and if you don't already know what you need you might be fustrated with Linux.

The best desktop enviroment is the one you think look best from default so you don't have to rice as much. Mint with Cinnamon is very good looking.

I use i3wm to make it look like I want (picture related), but there are tons of different ways to do that. Look at screenshots and go for the one you like the look of best if you are up for some tweaking. If you just want something that works then look at default desktop enviroments and choose the closest to what you like.
>>
>>52192432
Hi

Depends on the version:
https://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw

Depending on your needs gimp is a powerful tool too but there's also krita which is for painting but it also has some descent editing capabilities, on both cases you don't need to buy a license or pirate. Also it seems that gimp will get much better in the next versions:
https://www.gimp.org/news/2015/12/31/2015-report/

I have barely used it but seem to work exactly is in windows, just in case you ask you can also watch netflix on linux.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=22248
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JDO3TlpW74

I only have installed the 2007 version though because it only needs a serial and works perfectly, however now i only run Libreoffice precisely to not be locked into buying an MSO license in the future

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=#sort_by=_ASC&category1=998&os=linux&page=1

There's 1756 right now, Street fighter 5, rocket league and Xcom 2 will come soon too.

>5. Best alternative to Visual Studio?
I personally use qtCreator and netbeans, there's also a native unity3d editor if you're interested and you can use monodevelop or xamarin studio if you like csharp a lot.
>>
> best alternative to visual studio

Linux please enjoy him, he's too stupid.
>>
>>52195409
>Linux please enjoy him
What?
>>
>>52192432

1. If you're getting paid, stick with Photoshop. Apparently it runs well in WINE, at least older versions anyways, I wouldn't know GIMP works great for my memeposting so I've never had the urge to try Adoobe.

2. >streaming music

3. Libreoffice is alright. I can vouch for Writer, never tried the Excel clone so idk bruh.

4. HL, HL2 and games based on it (CS, CSGO, Portal 1&2, Stanley Parable). A few Also most of the indie ones worth playing (TIS-100, Spacechem, VVVVVV etc) as well as a large variety of indie shovelware. Morrowind and some Jedi Knight games run well under WINE, haven't tried Skyrim or anything recent since I'm on a toaster.

5. Wouldn't know.
>>
>>52192432
This is coming from someone that fucking loves his *buntu install.

If you depend on software that is exclusive to Windows then stay on Windows, don't believe those that say that it will run on Wine, it won't, and if it works it usually works like shit.

Stick to windows m8, if you are curious try different distros on VMs or dual boot.
>>
1. Use Kirta
2. Web app works just fine
3. Web apps work just fine
4. Big enough as long as you're not into AAA horseshit
5. There isn't one, get used to text editors and compile yourself.
(Code:Blocks is... fine)
>>
>>52192982
>playonlinux

Why have I never seen this before? Photoshop working on Linux!
>>
GNOME vs KDE
>>
OP here. Thanks for all the responses! I guess I should have mentioned that I planned to dual boot anyway. Going to use Linux for light use and Windows for gaming and coding.
>>
>>52196271
ok
>>
>>52196271
>Windows for coding.

dat sounds funny
>>
>>52193200
>nice joke m8 spotify has fucking nothing
So you listen to weebshit or hipster underground noise or whatever other fake "genre" of "music" you wanna call it.

Spotify has basically fucking everything. It even has kpop and chinese pop now.
>>
>>52196271
>and Windows for coding.

I am sure you would have a much more productive and better time by doing it the linux way with text editor and compile on the side. When you get used to it... I find Linux much easier and straightforward to use for coding.
>>
>>52192432
>Visual Studio
Use vim m8.
>>
>>52192432
>>52192432
1. It's on gold rating so I guess it's pretty good. Considering MS Office doesn't even have that. Never tried Photoshop though. Never had to use anything more complex than pinta.
2.I never sold my freedubs to Jews.
3. They say it's WPS. Personally I thing good about it is tabs. Also it's no more developed. Windows 10 worked for me except for PowerPoint. Went back to libreoffice.
4. Not even close to what Windows although half life works perfectly.
5.Monodevelop I guess. Or Visual Studio Code. Never fell for C# meme.
Seeing the way I an pretty sure you will hate. If you want the above software keep using Windows.That's one self righteous WinFag less. Only use it if you care about ricing or has an old computer.
>>
>>52192432
1. No. No.
2. No idea. Never used it.
3. Linux? Office software? Are you joking?
4. Not yet. No.
5. Yet to be created for C/C++. Other languages I'm not familiar with. Probably something exist.

t. linux user
>>
>>52192432
For 5, it depends what language you're working in:
- C#: MonoDevelop. It sucks, unfortunately, but omnisharp is still buggy so it's still the best.

-C++: A tie between Clion, KDevelop, and QtCreator. Both have their ups and downs, I'd try all of them and make a decision for yourself.

-C: Editor + Makefiles.
>>
>>52195387
>>52198048
I personally like mono develop.
>>
Heh, I remember when I was you about 4 years ago

You should really have asked this on sqt but I'll let you off this one time you niglet shit but you only get one answer

4. Yes. Yes
>>
>>52199516
Hoe nice of you
>>
File: 1441560903703.jpg (44 KB, 934x524) Image search: [Google]
1441560903703.jpg
44 KB, 934x524
>>52193158
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.