[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Here's the thing about Vulkan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: Steam-Linux.jpg (25 KB, 640x439) Image search: [Google]
Steam-Linux.jpg
25 KB, 640x439
So let me explain this one thing about why Linux gaming will never take off.

First of all, most Linux ports are being held back performance wise by OSX. Most devs have problems with keeping multiple OGL codepaths (4.1 support for OSX and 4.5 for GNU/Linux). If it were that easy, we'd already see a major performance difference between OSX and Linux ports.

However, once Vulkan arrives, this won't change anything. Devs will still have to write a seperate renderer for Vulkan, and this is the issue: They could have done the same with OGL 4.3 extensions (such as buffer storage, more on this here:
http://de.slideshare.net/CassEveritt/approaching-zero-driver-overhead )

Nothing was preventing them from writing a seperate renderer for OGL 4.3-5 in the first place. They simply choose not to because Apple is a bitch and requires so many workarounds in their OpenGL driver, it takes away all their development time and they can't focus on a seperate OGL renderer for 4.3-5 extensions, nor much of the Linux port itself.

As long as Apple doesn't improve their OGL driver (They won't implement Vulkan, instead they focus on their shitty Metal API), Linux gaming is going nowhere

That's it.
>>
>>52187867
Game devs should just ignore OSX, t.b.h.
The average Mac doesn't have the hardware power to play games, anyway.

Then you can still release shitty 2D indie games for all OSs, because performance optimization doesn't matter much there.
>>
>>52188041
That is the thing they should do, but not the thing they can, they already make less money each day. However, they would sell TONS more games on Linux if performance was far better.
>>
>muh games
>>>/v/
>>
vulkan won't help for playing pre-vulkan games
>>
>>52188181
>using name on /g/

And I thought I was gonna have an intelligent discussion.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160102-211429.png (412 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160102-211429.png
412 KB, 1080x1920
>>52188181
I dont want to defend gaymers or anything, but..
>>
>>52188102
Performance on Linux is fantastic, that is not the reason people don't use it.
>>
>>52188041
maybe they should, but OSX has almost 4 times the user base of Linux on Steam.
Cutting away ~4\5 of you audience, which is already 5% of the whole is not that great financially.
>>
File: driveroverhead.png (21 KB, 631x488) Image search: [Google]
driveroverhead.png
21 KB, 631x488
>>52188294
But that's not true, we can clearly see a driver bottleneck in most wrappers, even native ports.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mordor-win10-linux&num=2

And I can confirm this.
>>
File: 1438005910289.jpg (33 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1438005910289.jpg
33 KB, 480x454
>>52188272
the botnet is real
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.