[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which distro of Linux does /g/ recommend for new fags.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: linux-logo.png (41 KB, 505x250) Image search: [Google]
linux-logo.png
41 KB, 505x250
Which distro of Linux does /g/ recommend for new fags.
>>
>>52183979
Linux Mint
>>
any popular distro is fine
>>
>>52183979
Windows 10
>>
>>52183979
You really could install Gentoo if you cared enough.
>>
>>52183987
This or Ubuntu or ElementaryOS

Personally I recommend ElementaryOS but it's all up to personal preference.
>>
>>52183979
Mint with cinnamon. Excellent just werks distro till you read up a thing or two about the terminal and file manipulation so that you can move on to more complex distro.

Inb4 install gentoo.
>>
>>52183987
This. Or stop being a fag and install Gentoo.
>>
>>52183979
Mint or regular flavor Ubuntu LTS 1.404

However, I would not recommend Linux at all unless your are just using it for basic internet shitposting and some minor document editing.
>>
RTSLinux or read the sticky.
>>
Mint or Xubuntu.
>>
Download some of the USB bootable images and try them out and see which one you like.
>>
>>52184260
got myself an x220 and installed xubuntu on it.

not half as bad as I thought it would be. Already installed awesome to check it out and using the multicolor theme from copycat-killer
>>
>>52184071
Elementary OS does have lots of bugs that could confuse a new user in my experience, mint was stable though and ubuntu is obviously the easiest.
>>
why not debian?
>>
Mint is based off April 2014 version of Ubuntu, I prefer not to use it for that reason. Just go for a flavor of Ubuntu 15.10 for latest packages(October 2015). My favorites are Ubuntu MATE for lightweight DE and Ubuntu GNOME for heavyweight/fx/features.
>>
>why not debian?
Because you have more trouble fixing all those problems that you get than it is fun.

Manjaro is fun, debian is *ewwww*
>>
Antergos.

It's Arch without the autism
>>
debian
>>
>>52184856
Is Manjaro yet another debian-based distro that uses apt-get? If not, then "ewwwwww" (meant to sound like a typical SJW)
>>
>Is Manjaro yet another debian-based distro that uses apt-get?

No,
> It's Arch without the autism

so pacman for all ^^
>>
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52185153
RMS, is that you?
>>
>>52184677
Debian is ubuntu without the "just werks" aspect
>>
>>52183979
Windows.

Don't waste ur time with unoptimized shit with no drivers and no games. It does nothing better than Windows
>>
>>52183979
mint
fedora (only if you do your homework)
lubuntu
>>
>UberStudent: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=uberstudent

or

>Linux Mint: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
>>
>>52185303
Depends on what you want. From my perspective (debian user since 98), debian "just werks". I tried Ubuntu (yet another debian derivative) for a while until they forced an alpha version of KDE 4 on everyone. Switched back to debian ever since.
>>
>>52185299
>not recognizing this as copypasta
how new are the people on this board nowadays?
>>
>>52185153
I'm 21 and I fell like I have no one to talk too since like high school man I can't talk to anyone about linux anymore without some dumb GNU faggot saying dumb shit like GNU plus or some processed bs I miss the days of when I could have deep linux conversations with my friends at 3am in the morning but no everytime I try saying something about linux some dumb GNU hippy pops up sigh wtf happened man I miss the old scene from back in the day I'm so sick of these hipster GNU cunts fucking hell man I can't wait until this hipster GNU trend dies out please don't respond if you're going to have some dumb new age GNU answer to this post anyone else feel the same way I know I'm not the only one man
>>
>>52183979
Ubuntu or one of its variants, like Mint or Kubuntu

Go my child. Learn the fun of computing with FOSS.
>>
>>52185642
I'm a debian user myself. But for a beginner ubanto is the best if they don't have the ability to understand things easily or aren't driven as much I was when I started with debian
>>
>>52185658
Yes, I recognized it.. and was trying to continue the tradition. (YOU) were supposed to say "*Spits pepsi all over the keyboard*" or something similar.
>>
>>52183979
Solydx
>>
>>52183987
Upvoting this
>>
File: G_OS_Guide.jpg (375 KB, 3000x2116) Image search: [Google]
G_OS_Guide.jpg
375 KB, 3000x2116
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.