[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ what's the difference between these majors Computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 2
File: MTE5NDg0MDU0NTIzODQwMDE1.jpg (140 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NDg0MDU0NTIzODQwMDE1.jpg
140 KB, 1200x1200
Hey /g/
what's the difference between these majors
Computer Science
Computer Engineering
Software Engineering
Information Technology

i'm good at writing algorithms and solving problems. what should i major in?
>>
CS+math double major masterrace
>>
>>52180063
what do you generally study in CS? courses?
>>
>>52180135
It's mostly concerned with algorithms. You study data structures, some architecture and networking, databases etc.

You can look it up more closely at Wikipedia.
>>
>>52180047

Computer Science = Top tier
Computer Engineering = Meh tier
Software Engineering = Shit tier
Information Technology = Indian tier
>>
>>52181363

Why is computer engineering above software engineering...
>>
>>52180063
can confirm this
>>
>>52182021

Since when did CS get you the big bucks. Do you want to be a code monkey, anon?
>>
>>52181526
Because software engineering is a fake major made to get universities more money.
>>
>>52182533

Got a friend going into software engineering this year, any advice, how should I break it to him that his degree is a meme?
>>
>>52180047
>Information Technology

Nobody teaches that any more this isn't 1980.
>>
Anything but ELE is for cucks. Try programming in silicon you plebs.
>>
>>52182594

They teach it at my university :^)

Also, thoughts on this?
http://pastebin.com/Chn6r64E
>>
>>52181363
>CS
>Not code monkey getting cucked by pahjeet tier
>>
Software Engineering and Information Technology are probably worthless

You should major in Computer Science. If you want to involve yourself with hardware do Computer Engineering
>>
>>52180047
Which university OP?
>>
>>52182654
>>52182578
Why is software engineering worthless? I thought it was better than some worthless code monkey CS major
>>
>>52182666

Ditto, CS is to softeng as science is to engineering, and engineering is god-tier
>>
>>52180047
Computer Science = Mathematician
Computer Engineering = Hardware guy
Software Engineering = Code Monkey
Information Technology = Tech Support guy
>>
>>52182701

If you want to be a mathematician, major in Math.
>>
>>52182701
What?

Computer Science == code monkey
Computer engineering == hard/software
Electrical engineering == analog wizard
Software engineering != good major
Information technology == curry
>>
Wait why is a CS degree supposedly so much better than a Software Engineering degree?
>>
>>52182754
Because a CS degree between 10 different places will cover the same shit mostly.

An SE degree from one place will vary dramatically from another. It's literally a meme degree determined by the whims of whatever professor runs it. You could be learning any old shit.
>>
>>52182793
So then there are schools are a SE degree might be better?
>>
>>52182793

And once you get the meme degree you'll be placed in a nice software job, where experience will trump what you learned in university.

CS vs Softeng is the same as academia vs a real job
>>
>>52182666
>>52182682
>>52182754

You have to keep in mind we're not referring to the term "software engineering", but rather it's implementation as a college major. And, of course, it all really depends on the college you're going to.

Most universities with "computer science" majors teach both theoretical CS and software engineering. You learn O-notation as well as software development lifecycle.

Most universities with "software engineering" majors teach useless lifecycle and business information without giving any experience with actual CS concepts.

While yes, software engineering itself is a legitimate field, and most of us are probably software engineers rather than computer scientists, that doesn't mean pursuing software engineering as a major is a good idea.
>>
>>52182701
>There are CS who still think CS == Mathematician or anywhere close to it
>People think getting a bachelor degree in any STEM major makes them a Mathematician, Physicist, Chemist, etc.
>>
>>52182838

Again, CS is for academia while SE is for getting a real job.
>>
> computer science
this is computing theory
ie. how can computers be used to solve real world problems
covers everything from already known solutions, to theoretical machines and the problems they could potentially solve

> computer engineering
this is computer design and implementation
ie. applying what's learnt in computer science to create computer chips, systems, or networks
everything from simple digital logic to figuring out how the hell you actually make a quantum computer processor

> software engineering
this is software design and implementation
ie. a robust process for the
covers software requirements gathering through to testing, release and maintenance (but more in a professional capacity rather than taping things together and throwing it out there)

> information technology
this is computer usage
ie. using computers to do productive things
you'll generally cover what kind of basic software exists and how to use it for applying various personal or business solutions
>>
>>52182836
A degree is CS will get you a job. It also gives you the option to do a graduate course but unless you want to be called doctor or go into academia I don't see why you'd bother.
>>
>>52182838
So if I want to work as a software engineer I should most likely major in Computer Science anyways?
>>
>>52182872
>meme degree is good for getting jobs.

kek
>>
>>52182872
This is not true, like I said in my comment.

>>52182878
Yes, although it depends on the college. At most colleges, a CS degree will teach you what you need for a software engineering job, whereas a SE major will not.
>>
You forgot Information Systems, which is god tier in Europe.
>>
>>52180047
CS - Computer Science is more focused around developing software for existing hardware. CS focuses on algorithmic, interactive, and structured thinking. You take classes like Algorithmic Design, Data Structures, and specialized courses for certain fields (Web Applications, Databases, AI, Machine Learning, etc.). The CS community is pretty shit unless you are an autistic meme-spouting weeb shitlord, then you'll fit right it. Prepare for no girls, as most CS programs either have retarded girls that cannot code without cucking 4 orbiters, or girls that are not at all attractive and vary in skills in CS. After 2 years of GenEd, most of these people should drop out, but there will still be plenty there. Also, beware of shitty professors that have no experience teaching but have PhDs from ChingChongistan Pooinlooington University. They may not speak English very well and can be completely pants on head retarded.

CE - The best major, one I'm currently enrolled in. CE is basically the key points of CS with a little fat trimmed, plus all the good shit in Electrical Engineering. CE provides a deeper understanding of computers at a hardware-level, meaning you actually understand how the computer does shit other than "lol the HDD sends stuff to the RAM". CE requires you to take higher level math + physics than CS, including stuff like Differential Equations and Physics II/III. Programming in CE is typically using low-level languages like C and Assembly. The crowd of CE people can be mixed, but most people are ok. There aren't as many autistic kids as CS initially, mainly because CE isn't a common degree. Most people aren't aware of the difference between the two. The CE crowd is mostly normal people and bros, like in ME or Physics. The community is much smaller and tighter knit. Also, CE grads have the benefit of knowing both CS and EE, so you can apply for jobs in either field, as you have most of the qualifications of either field's grad pool.

(1/2)
>>
>>52183072
Most of your post is correct, except nobody will hire a CE to do an EE's job. An EE's curriculum includes a huge amount of material you will never touch.
>>
>>52183072
Now include Information Systems aka your future boss.
>>
>>52183072
SE - Software Engineering is typically a joke degree. It has lower requirements than CS and focuses more on being a corporate code monkey rather than the core of CS. SE is generally valued as less of a degree than CS. SE looks nicer when applying for codemonkey jobs, but CS grads can generally out-code most SE grads. Typically, you'll see 30-year-olds that are trying to make up for picking a shitty degree, poo-in-loos, and CS dropouts. The SE degree is more for someone who just wants a job in CS, but doesn't want to do the work. There really isn't any rigor in SE and you can pass no problem.

IT - Oh man. Don't even consider this unless you want a shit job AND you want to learn nothing. IT is basically Business with Computers. The only remotely CS stuff you do in IT is maybe a bit of programming and some basic concepts, but otherwise, its another SE degree but designed for someone looking for an IT job. IT degrees are generally worthless, as CS degrees will generally get you into an IT job. The IT community is typically filled with more CS dropouts, people that thought CS looked hard, and more 30-year-olds looking to pick a better degree. The FIELD of IT however, is completely different. IT requires one of two things or both: experience or certs. IT is a really easy field to walk into with some elbow grease, but getting a degree in it doesn't beef up your resume. It wastes 4 years of college tuition and valuable time you could've used getting an entry-level job in IT and working up.

Overall, if you're up for the challenge, go for CE. Otherwise, go for CS and hold your nose when sitting next to the kids that have been away from home for the first time and haven't showered because their mom didn't tell them to.
(2/2)
>>
>>52183072
Daily reminder that CS is not a degree in programming. CS is about the mathematics of computation - it is a math study. The most common application of CS is software design and programming but programming is not the purpose of CS.
>>
>>52182754
>>52182666
depending on which uni you go to the difference between CS and SE is 1 year practical experience
that is, SE requires in the region of 48 weeks of professional employment as part of the degree
that basically ends up the only difference as CS is 3 years vs 4 years for SE
(the extra year primarily being taken up by employment)

there are one/two things going for SE
"engineering", which in employment always pays more than "science"
engineers usually move onto management roles rather than sticking to low-levels
SE (usually) comes with 1 year professional experience already under their belt
so there's no wasting time hand-holding an "entry level" candidate in their first year
thus a SE can get paid more in their first year after graduating than a CS major would

conversely, this is why software companies love to employ CS majors instead
they did everything a SE did except the 1 year of practical experience
so they end up much cheaper both initially and long term
plus, given they're a "science" major, they're considering non or limited vertical movers

again, SE will vary depending on which university you attend
>>
>>52183133
Do you believe that computer engineering is not electronic engineering?
>>
>>52183329
No, I believe that computer engineering is not electrical engineering. There is no such thing as electronic engineering.
>>
>>52183288
You still didn't include CIS.
>>
>>52183360
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_engineering
I didn't realize that the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers didn't actually exist.
>>
It's called Systems Engineering in my country. Where does this fit?
>>
>>52183442
That's something else entirely.
>>
/g/ if i'm only decent at math should I just give up in trying to go into CS or CE?
>>
>>52183476
Explain to me what the difference from CS and IT is pls
>>
>>52183133
Not really. CE covers almost everything EE does at my university, minus some in-depth classes on electrical physics and design. Some companies that do exclusively EE work probably will choose EE over CE, but most companies put EE pretty close to CE and CS.

>>52183161
Information Systems - Also known as a B.A. in Buzzwords. IS learns literally nothing and is basically CS without the programming and mainly Databases. IS is just setting up a database and interfacing with it, and typically the degree is so shit, most universities worth their salt don't even offer it because nobody stupid enough to major in it should be attending. IS is slightly better than IT in that it isn't a total waste of time because you can still get some jobs with just the degree. The IS community is the same as the IT and SE communities, possible worse though because its filled with people like >>52183161 who think they're hot shit for majoring in managing data. In no way would that guy EVER be your future boss. He'd be that guy that thinks he's a genius but cannot prove it to anyone because he doesn't actually know shit.

How's that?
>>
>>52180047
Be honest anon, you just want to make gaymes.
>>
>>52183423
Let me explain this in an example:

Can you reduce the following truth table to its most base SOP form?

A B C | F
0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 1 0 1
0 1 1 X
1 0 0 0
1 0 1 1
1 1 0 0
1 1 1 1

If you can't you already don't know sophomoric electrical engineering knowledge.
>>
>>52181363
>>52182701
>>52182744

You people are mistaking IT degrees for high school dropouts.

A+ = Currymuncher jobs, IT degree = sysadmin

Though either way I'd rather get a CCNA/CCNP or beyond than a degree. Even a CCNA is worth more than a Bachelor's, and if you get something like CEH maybe even /g/ would be impressed.
>>
>>52182861
CS is mathematics. CS is not programming.
>>
>>52183493
CS - good if you're not a complete retard.

IT - no. Go get an entry-level IT job after studying a couple months for some certs instead of wasting 4 years on a degree that won't get you a job.

Read >>52183072 and >>52183288 for a detailed description of each one.
>>
>>52183518
What's your point? That electronic engineering doesn't exist? That computer engineering isn't electronic engineering?
>>
>>52183495
You're admitting exactly what I've been saying. No firm will hire a computer engineer to do an electrical engineers job. We deal with levels of abstraction several layers deeper than you.
>>
>>52183593
My point is that both majors are valuable and have their specific specialties. Neither will be able to do the other's job well.
>>
>>52183600
>We deal with levels of abstraction several layers deeper than you.
You what mate? The difference in computer engineering and electrical engineering is a matter of scale. Computer engineers deal with small electronic parts while electrical engineers deal with big electrical parts.
>>
>>52183600
Yes, however I'm saying that EE will win over CE if concepts of computing and processing are not involved. EEs will always win when it comes to pure EE. EE focuses more on the Physics and Math behind the phenomenon of electricity, while CE seeks to apply it.
>>
>>52183634
I think you have a disconnect in what electrical enginering is. While electrical engineers do handle pretty much all large power systems, not all electrical engineers focus on that.
>>
>thoughts on Information Systems?

I'm thinking of doing Finance/ Information systems or Finance / Computer science.
>>
>>52183645
It's more like using logic and knowledge of physics to build the base components and systems that CE's use. IC and PCB design falls almost wholly under EE.
>>
>>52183689
Should add that i don't really care about programming. I just want to have good understanding of tech because I'm interested in perusing a career in finance tech consulting, project management, financial analysis or business intelligence.
>>
>>52183737
>want to learn about tech
>without actually learning about it
>>
>>52183518
Not an electrical engineering major, but still curious. Could you explain what the X means? I tried Google, only popped up as a variable.
>>
>>52183944
I learned it as a don't care, it involves fuzzy logic. It is a state in the table that can be used as a 0 or 1 when constructing your karnaugh map.
>>
>>52183977
More specifically when selecting the prime implicants to build your simplified SOP boolean expression.
>>
>>52183518
If anyone else is interested the answer should be F = !A*B + A*C

Though its been awhile since I've had to do one of these.
>>
>>52184158
Okay, so I think that you treated the X as a 1 in your calculations then. Thanks for the help!
>>
>>52182060
If you're just some fucking pleb then yeah you'll just be a code monkey, but if you have half a brain you can become a wizard and take over the world.
>>
Is there a degree in the us that is specialized in computer networking? In my country we have a degree that involves web analysis, web coding and general programming but focusing more on networking in general. The start salary is on par with the other courses like CS and CE. Its called System Analysis.

Also

>IT major
>Software engineering

What the fuck majors are this? Dont you guys cover these things in both CS and CE?
>>
CS is a lot of history of computers. by the end you will come out seeing the machine as a biological object, more then layman.

Software is where you want to be. Thats problem algorythms.

CE, i don't know as much about myself, so I'm speaking a little far from the subject, But that's almost like Configuration. And of course hardware (and the basis of CS) with the Software which uses is, in consideration too. So that might be the most all encompassing I don't know.

Info Tech is from what I understand, information collection and categorization, basically. Probably some consideration for algrythmic, logic stuff in here too.
>>
>>52182594
Basically this. Im studying IT and a business minor, but the IT program is really babby CS and business.

Still need calc 1, discrete 1/2, and stats.

CS needs the same plus calc 2 and 3 as well as linear alg.

Not mad though, its a decent program (ABET certified and from the computing and engineering school) . Will be making a lot more money(as an analyst) than my buddy does who is a CS grad (C# programmer)
>>
>>52182838
>Most universities with "software engineering" majors teach useless lifecycle and business information without giving any experience with actual CS concepts.

What in the hell kind of schools are you talking about? I don't think that's true for any decent school, or any I could name
>>
>>52184779
I'm talking about most private universities and technical schools, barring maybe ivy leagues. I don't know anything about community or vocational colleges, so maybe those are different.
>>
What do you guys think of Computer Information Systems or is that hardcore meme tier compared to Computer Science
>>
>>52180047
>i'm good at writing algorithms and solving problems. what should i major in?
Picture of Jobs.. OP is a liar.
>>
>>52185730
I think IS has more to do with data/managing and organizing said data. Its like IT but more specific.
>>
>>52185730
bump
>>
>>52185730
Stay away from buzzwords like
>information
and
>systems
Because they mean you're not gonna make that much money and you're going to be treated like a nerd who fixes the printer.

CS is good. If you're talented in it you can make a lot of money, and you'll primarily be programming.
CE/EE is better. If you can get through it, you'll make a lot of money doing literally whatever you want, wherever you want. Everybody needs engineers.
>>
>>52185971
It doesn't take a lot of money in order to sustain yourself in life...

I'm not going to become the next iconic programmer. I just want to become a proficient one that maintains a job. People with a CIS degree can still go into a software development field.

Also wouldn't you be more valuable to a company if you know about software development and the business aspects too compared to knowing just one specific field.
>>
>>52184613
retard
>>
>>52183527
you've been misinformed.
i had a ccna before my degree, and no one cared. at all.
soon as i got my degree, i landed a good job.
>>
>>52186074
I couldn't agree more. However, getting paid well for your work means you have to work less.

The business aspects of a particular company are things that you can't just be taught. They're tricks that you pick up from working there. Most engineers only end up doing real, technical work their first couple years and then move into management. A lot of CEOs (like Steve Jobs) are/were industrial engineers, which is really just a business degree with an engineering background.

Think about it as an employee, who do you want to be managed by? Some guy that allegedly already just knows the best way to manage you? Or someone who actually did what you're doing for years?
>>
File: 1424479781632.jpg (30 KB, 180x183) Image search: [Google]
1424479781632.jpg
30 KB, 180x183
>not majoring in data science
>>
>>52186211
Yeah that does make sense..

I'm just afraid that I won't be able to cut it when it comes to the Computer Science curriculum since there's more emphasis with math.
>>
>>52186267
CS will do a lot of abstract, theoretical math that is hard to think about in real terms and hard to care about honestly.

Eng focuses much more on practical, realistic math. For example, I am almost finished with my EE degree and we literally never do proofs of any theorem or equation we use, because it's trivial. CS will do a lot of proofs.

Both will have a lot of math though, so if you're not good at math then you're probably in the wrong industry.
>>
>>52183486
Never give up, also don't ask an important life decision like this on 4chan
>>
>>52186320
But what if it's the field you think you want to be in, but you honestly don't know for sure.
>>
>>52183527
>CCNA is worth more than a bachelor's
You have much to learn
>>
>>52180047
>Computer Science
Math, programming and math
>Computer Engineering
Electrical eng + CS
>Software Engineering
CS with project management
>Information Technology
Programming and tech support
>>
>>52186545
Dude math isn't hard. And even if you fail at engineering or CS you can still get IT/IS jobs.
>>
>>52186629
How can you say it's not hard lol? You're probably naturally gifted or something when comes to that stuff.

I want to become a respectable software dev not a kek support guru.
>>
>>52186687
>respectable software dev
CS or CE
>kek support guru
IT and IS

Math isn't hard, bro. You probably had shitty teachers when you were younger. I might be good at it but that's because I learned it. Anybody can learn math, a lot of people just don't want to.
>>
>>52186687
>>52186763
Just work your way up the Khan Academy courses if you aren't sure where to start improving. Find workbooks on specific things you need more practice with. It all builds on itself.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.