[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do most android apps request for permissions that make no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Android-Phone-Spy-Apps-1.jpg (37 KB, 551x342) Image search: [Google]
Android-Phone-Spy-Apps-1.jpg
37 KB, 551x342
Why do most android apps request for permissions that make no sense compared to what the app is?
>>
>>52176488
Either they are data mining your info or they are made by shit devs who used templates that had all permissions on
>>
Just root your phone and manually set pernissions.
>>
>>52176565
>>52176488
This is what happens when you don't have to go through approval systems to get on the store.

Apple may be Jewish but they got one thing right by checking every app and making them pay to put their apps up. The quality of the apps is extremely better than android .
>>
>>52176721
brb, buying a £700 phone because I am unable to read app reviews and determine the quality of android apps.
>>
>>52176488
For in-app purchases you're just aknowledging the app has them. This is because the FTC sued the shit out of Google and Apple for making it easy for freemium games to trick people into buying shit without knowing it.

>network communication
Uhh, need the internet
>storage
I wonder why? It's like, apps take up HD space?
>Your Accounts
This is so Google can track what you do specifically purchases. Its all for their internal bullshit so they can make calls on refunds. It also helps track app developers. (Cause desu half those fuckers are people in 3rd world countries just trying to make quick cash off americans)

Needless to say if you just used your brain you could figure out what everything is for.
>>
>>52176721
>Apple may be Jewish but they got one thing right by checking every app and making them pay to put their apps up.

You are not paying for putting your app up, you pay for that app being in the store itself. And Apple steals fucking 30% anyway. You pay premium to get your app to store that is overloaded by shitty apps just a bit less.
>>
>>52176922
There's a lot more permissions than that.

Also read /write access is purely only needed if it's going to be accessing files external to what the app initially provides.

Clover is a great example of responsible permission access. All it requests is Internet access because that's all it does. Not 5 other obscure permissions that it doesn't use.
>>
>>52177157
>You are not paying for putting your app up, you pay for that app being in the store itself

?????

So basically the same thing ?
>>
>>52176697
Ya lemme just open up my handy-dandy terminal, OH WAIT
>>
>>52177598
You don't pay one time, you pay even if you don't do shit.
>>
>>52176818
XD, kinda miss'n Id's now
>>
>>52177850
what is this post
>>
>>52177850
???

What are you saying exactly?
>>
As an android developer, it does make sense.

You just don't realise because of how permissions are grouped.

example time

If I have an app that lets you sign up to it, I can auto fill the box for your email address so you don't have to type it, user friendly blah blah blah.

Only to do that I need access to your contacts. It's not granular enough. So an app that does something entirely unrelated is asking for permission to access your contacts and you find it weird because it makes no sense.

Some apps ask for lots just because even simple features like sharing might need permissions. You might not use the feature but the permission is still needed.

That's why granular permissions in 6.0 is a big deal, the permissions still need to be broken up but at least you can see in some places why they get asked for.
>>
>>52177882
why?
>>
>>52176488
botnet
use XPrivacy
>>
I never understood why you couldn't configure these permissions too.

Android 6.0 and above has his feature but it's so fucking stupid.
>>
>>52178553
> Only to do that I need access to your contacts.
Yeah, and there are no guarantees at all that your app won't dump my entire address book and sell it to third parties for advertising. Or even send them invitations to your service on my "behalf".
>>
>>52176488
Part of the issue is specific features come under umbrella permissions.
If you want to toggle the LED flash (as a flashlight) you need Camera permission, even though you aren't using the camera itself.

I have an app that plays sounds in the background and wanted to put in an option that reduced the volume during a phonecall. All I am checking for is if a call is active but the permission it comes under would also allow me to get the device phone number, ID, and remote number of the caller.

If anything this is a reason why open source is important, then you can actually see what people are using the permissions for.
>>
>>52176721
>All ios apps that run in background MUST either play audio or track your location.
>99.9% of all cases is the latter.

Research what kind of shit lies beneath your phone's hood before claiming your phone is better.
Android does not separate user and system this much.

But i understand, you bought an iphone and don't want to look like an idiot for buying shit so you pretend that your is superior.
I haven't been there but i can see why you would behave like this.
I hope you don't make the same mistake again.
>>
>>52179272
Too bad virtually none of the Android apps are open source and those that are won't advertise it because the reality is that app devs want to hide details from you to make more money for themselves.
>>
>>52180800
Luckily it is pretty straight forward to decompile the majority of Android apps.
>>
>>52180847
And highly impractical. The fact that you have to even think about doing that shows how badly the system is setup to fuck over the end user.

Smartphones are awful, all of them are made just to make it easier for others to data mine and sell your data.
>>
>>52180895
Quite frankly, I don't have to think about it.
I just don't download shit apps.
>>
>>52181058
So instead you cut yourself off from the majority of the marketplace because of fear due to how shitty the system is.
>>
>>52181118
Shitty apps are shitty. That's the long and short of it.

I don't need 50 more flashlight apps.
>>
>>52176488
Frameworks and unused parts of libraries, besides the usual data mining.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.