[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
derp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: linmin.jpg (127 KB, 1000x288) Image search: [Google]
linmin.jpg
127 KB, 1000x288
just took linux admin, ask me anything
>>
>>52171958
Did you learn anything that will be applicable in the next 2 weeks? Where did you take it?
>>
>>52171958
you took one hostage?
>>
>>52171979
somewhat... alot of it was walk-through type labs, and the course was taught with fedora 19
>
local college: part time course, 2 parts
>>
>>52171958
what is his name?
>>
File: lelo.jpg (75 KB, 500x449) Image search: [Google]
lelo.jpg
75 KB, 500x449
>>52172039
>>52171993
not following the memay
>>
blump
>>
Senior Linux systems engineer at one of the big cloud companies here. Ask me anything op.
>>
>>52172355
Pls tell me how can I get a job like yours
>>
>>52172607
This
>>
>>52172607
>>52172635
Started working retail selling tech in late 90s early 2000s. Used this job to meet clients to do Small business consulting. Got hired by a consulting company. Got laid off when company had financial trouble. Got hired by parent company of former client from previous job to be network admin for 6 offices. Did this for four years and crushed it. There was an opening on the Linux team so I asked for it and got it.

Got lots of experience with Linux obviously and web development. Started doing more and more automation and devops type of work. Led the coop/devops collab between my team and the dev teams. Brought in Chef and really automated everything. Crushed it, but was only making $50-$60k while I knew I could get over $100k.

Spent 1.5 years doing job hunting for a remote job at a tech company that would pay. Interviewed at tough places like Google, Cisco, and Epic Games. Didn't and still don't have the skills for Google. Really honed in my resume and interview skills from lots of practice.

Got hired to do devops type of stuff on a senior engineering team where I am now. Right now I mainly work on Puppet.
>>
>>52173095
op here. new to linux /tech industry what direction do i take to get in?
>
studying part time because work but these are some of the upcoming courses i was thinking of
>
C programming
Oracle SQL
advanced network technologies
>>
>>52173367
Learn programming. Core Programming skills will always be in demand. Tech specific skills (like oracle) will fade into obscurity over time. Oracle DBAs aren't going away anytime soon, though, and they get paid VERY well. Regardless, learn programming. All IT/software tech jobs are going to require programming skills. If you're not doing the automating then you'll be automated.
>>
>>52173710
scripting languages? i know some python and bash. of any use?
>
certifications ? RHEL, linux+
>>
>>52171958
How many times in the test was google the answer, the correct answer?
>>
>>52174451
not following ?
>>
>>52174451
>>52175263
still here
>>
>>52173962
Rhce and good Python and bash scripting skills go a very long way for any kind of Linux admin/engineering job
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.