[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it better to install games on SSD or HDD. Is it also better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1399976393282.gif (182 KB, 1036x654) Image search: [Google]
1399976393282.gif
182 KB, 1036x654
Is it better to install games on SSD or HDD. Is it also better to install OS on SSD?

What are the advantages of each.
>>
>>52171741

Both are better on SSD

But not everyone can afford to store everything on an SSD
>>
advantages of SSD games = faster

disadvantages of SSD games = high chance of losing saved games (due to life expectancy of SSDs). Keeping backing up to cloud.
>>
>>52171741
it's pretty simple:
anything you run/execute and the data it loads belongs on an ssd. this includes the OS, programs and games.
anything that's just data and doesn't belong to a specific program (movies, music, gentoo .isos) belongs on a hdd.
>>
>>52171782
Nice meme
>>
>>52171782
>life expectancy

There we go
>>
OS, apps, other installations and games on SSD.
Movies, pictures, documents, other shit on HDD.
>>
OP here.

Thanks home slices
>>
>>52171741
I moved everything to ssd
except backups, iso and vm drive images
>>
>>52171782

Unless you're buying shitty SSDs, life expectancy for all intents and purposes is that of a hard drive.
>>
File: 1448674397798.jpg (24 KB, 297x303) Image search: [Google]
1448674397798.jpg
24 KB, 297x303
>>52171813
>I moved everything to ssd

this is literally like playing russian roulette with a fully loaded gun
>>
>>52171782
I heard of cloud, I live under a rock so could you give me some pointers on how to access cloud.
>>
SSDs are really fast, and the life expectancy is longer than you think.
The only problem is, SSDs are pretty expensive.
If you really want one, buy a 32GB one and store your OS + most used programs(firefox, etc.) on it. Store the rest on a HDD
>>
>>52171825
>falling for the write cycles meme
>it's the current year
>>
>>52171825
i thought this meme would die with 2015. Too bad it outstayed its welcome
>>
>>52171871
>>52171874
Samefag
>>
>>52171825
Kill yourself.
>>
OP here.

I have 3x 500GB SSD and 1x 3TB HDD. I put OS and my most played games on the SSD but for games that require a shit ton of loading is it better on the SSD.
>>
>>52171894
to dense to tell apart entirely different posters eh?
Thought as much of someone stupid enough still believe SSDs are shit
>>
>>52171842
A 240 GB one is like €100 euro over here in Europe
>>
>>52171741
Install single player games to the SSD so you load faster. Put multiplayer games on the hard drive because chances are if you have an SSD in your system you will still load faster than that peruvian fuck using a potato and it won't matter because the game won't start until he loads.

Install OS, and programs to the SSD as well for the same performance reason as the games. Bulk media storage on the hard drive. Pictures, music, movies, etc. You won't notice the couple of milliseconds it takes to load them.
>>
Do you drag and drop the OS to the ssd?
>>
>>52171782
SSDs don't self destruct when drained of write cycles you idiot, they turn read-only.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.