[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>close button doesn't close >maximize button doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: traffic memes.png (41 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
traffic memes.png
41 KB, 800x600
>close button doesn't close
>maximize button doesn't maximize
>minimize button minimizes, but only sort of: for some reason it places the preview near the trashcan in the dock and the preview is static (unlike on windows). Also if you choose to minimize windows into app icon, you will no longer have previews of any kind and it causes a bug (present in 10.11.1) with activity monitor (when it won't open after you "close" it with close button)

Who designed this and why is this allowed?
>>
>>52171222
>close button closes the window
>fullscreen button makes the windows fullscreen
>minimize button minimizes the window to the dock

I don't see a problem here
>>
>>52171253
>close button closes the window
It essentially minimizes it, the program keeps running in background.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 526x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 526x371
>>52171222
Stop making these threads, we already know you're retarded
>>
>>52171287
The program runs in the background, the window doesn't. A program's window isn't the program itself
>>
>Maximize Button
It has always been called Zoom.
>>
>>52171365
>the window doesn't
it does
>>
>>52171368
Does it zoom?
>>
>>52171392
Oh, so you've never used OS X or done any research
>>
>>52171406
Yes. It has always zoomed to fit the content.
>>
>>52171424
It's now a fullscreen button and you have to press alt to get that
>>
>>52171253
Just idiots with only a Windows background thinking that the way Windows does things must be the best/only way.
>>
>>52171287
>downloading something in the background while browsing the 4chin
>close 4chin
>"are you sure you want to close the program, this will stop all downloads"
>"no"
>tfw can't close 4chin or the entire program will stop
>>
>>52171530
>2016
>Not having at least one browser window open all the time
>>
>>52171222
That's Apple for you
>>
>>52171462
There are several things that windows got it right, taskbar, close/minimize/maximize buttons, start button
Osx is only good because its unix but DE is shit, a nice looking, polished but ultimately shit
>>
So when you keep opening and closing windows on OS X, you will eventually run out of RAM because the program doesn't really close but only hides the window?
>>
>>52171222
don't you get it?
this behavior is clearly superior.
anyway, who cares about usability on a computer anyway. as long as i can use facebook and 9gag it's fine.
>>
File: 1444868284548.png (454 KB, 414x499) Image search: [Google]
1444868284548.png
454 KB, 414x499
>>52171222
ITT: OP is bitching because he isn't used to a new operating system yet.

Give yourself like 2 weeks atleast, you ass. You'll get used to it eventually.

Worst part is geting home and trying to use command instead of control.
>>
>>52172620
Are you retarded?
>>
>>52171222
Op why did you start a new thread asking the same thing?
We already answered these questions yesterday
>>
>>52172620
OS X constantly caches data to RAM so it's always used up no matter what you do. simply use CMD+Q if for some reason you actually want to quit out of an application, but modern systems have so damn much that it doesn't matter. I could be running several Adobe programs, browser, VM and media playing in the background on 8GB no problem. There is absolutely no excuse to run out of RAM in 2015+1
>>
>>52171287
You are thinking with the windows mindset
In windows, the window is the program and closing the window closes the program
In os x the window is just a "sub-process" of the program, and thus closing the window just terminates said sub-process, but the program keeps running
>>
>>52172859
>with the windows mindset
It's not just Windows mindset, it's generally a good tradition to close programs when user no longer needs it (not everything is an IM app or a torrent client).
>>
>>52173013
>it's generally a good tradition to close programs
What for? If they're well coded, they won't use your CPU.
>>
>>52173049
I am done with using said program, and I don't need it to waste any more resources.
>>
>>52171253
It's a weird holdover from the days when Mac OS could only run one program at a time. When you closed all the windows, you had to close the application to get back to the desktop. Otherwise you could open a new document or whatever while the program was loaded from the disk. Wasn't bad in 1986, but it's a bit strange now.
>>
>>52173127
>waste any more resources
Like what? RAM?
>>
I'm not a Mac OS fan but this has been its behavior for quite some time, at least since OS 7 which was the first time I used it.

Mac OS separates the "document" and the "program". When you open a program, it goes into the system's memory whether it's opening a document or not. So you open a document (.doc file, webpage, whatever) then close the window - the program is still open in your system's memory.

Therefore when you hit the close button, it's not the same as "minimizing" it because the document really is closed - again, the program is still memory resident. When you hit the actual minimize button, the document is still open but not visible as a window on your screen.

If you're an old fuck, you may remember TSR from the DOS days. I think this is a relic of that.
>>
>>52173203
Even if someone were to run out of RAM (cheap niggers), the data would get paged to disk after a while anyway. You're never wasting resources at any time.
>>
>>52173246
2015, running out of ram.
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem: 15G 493M 14G 126M 234M 14G
Swap: 0B 0B 0B
>>
>>52173013
Wanting something to in the background after closing is actually way more common, most applications are services nowadays.
>Mail Client
>Dropbox / other cloud services
>Calendar
>Media Player
>Messengers
>Torrent clients

Windows doesn't handle those cases properly, it shits up the system tray (which should be for application settings) with 20 useless applications.
>>
>>52173246
>If you don't have enough of this resource let's use up this other resource
Or the program can just close
>>
>>52173312
Why won't you just minimize those programs? They will rest on Windows taskbar in the same way as they would in OS X dock.
>>
what is the point of minimizing windows?
>>
>the most advanced desktop OS in the world
>can't preview rar contents
>>
>>52173427
There is software that works like this though
Eitherways the built in file extractor and the most popular file extractor for Mac (the unarchiver) don't work like that and it's really annoying
>>
>>52173485
I got used to it because normally I already know what I've downloaded and it's really simple to just double click and unarchive it.
>>
>>52173360
Its distracting to have all those minimized windows around. I want them gone.
>>
File: 1450064635402.png (74 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
1450064635402.png
74 KB, 300x256
>>52173549
>minimized
>distracting
>>
>>52173549
Quit applications in that case.
>>
>>52173582
>Quit
*Close
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 500x281
>>52173549
>he doesn't auto hide the Dock
>>
>>52173651
>he enjoys having to drag the cursor to the edge of the screen and wait half a second every time he wants to launch or switch apps
>>
>>52173720
>apps
>in a desktop OS
Kill yourself immediately
>>
>>52173576
For example you switch between applications you still have to deal with the "minimized" windows. The views are still running in the background using up resources. Its not the same.

>>52173582
If I quit them the applications won't provider their service anymore.
>>
>>52173780
So don't quit them, but don't complain.
>>
>>52173780
>Not closing the program means it's still open
Holy fucking shit
>>
>>52172810
>being this much cucked by apple
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.