[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone still think this browser is best? In b4 google botnet.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10
File: header-firefox.98d0a02c957f.png (12 KB, 223x84) Image search: [Google]
header-firefox.98d0a02c957f.png
12 KB, 223x84
Anyone still think this browser is best? In b4 google botnet. Even on the best hardware Chrome still performs better. Should I just jump ship to Chrome?
>>
>>52167849
It just werks for me, with an added benefit of not being constantly data mined by Google. Win-win.
>>
>>52167849
SJW trash
>>
It's the best only because the other alternatives are completely horsehit.
>>
Firefox is still the best. Chrome is trash.
>>
>>52167890

Idk, like, I use uMatrix with Chrome. It's available for Firefox, but the developer seems to favor Chrome, and I worry that the Firefox version might not actually work as well.
>>
>>52167913
This. While I like Firefox, a better browser simply does not exist.

>inb4 Vivaldi
Half open sourced bullshit. What are they hiding?

>inb4 Pale Moon
Good luck making those add-ons work.

>inb4 Edge
After Microsoft openly spied on people, no one ever should use any of their products, if they can help it

>inb4 Chrome
Ha! Haha! HAHAHAHAH! Google - not even once.

>inb4 Safari
Most of /g/ posters are straight.

And there you have it. Firefox really is the only choice right now.
>>
>>52167920
How do you figure? The firefox port receives regular bug fixes and updates
>>
safari is less resource heavy, maybe i should switch to that

i hate the way it looks though
>>
File: rms-gbn.jpg (209 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
rms-gbn.jpg
209 KB, 800x1000
>>52167849
>admits google is botnet
>hur dur guys should i use it anyways?
kill you're self
>>
What about Waterfox?
>>
What is the least shitty Firefox edition? Must be Mac compatible.
>>
My reason for using Firefox is completely stupid, but I find Chome unusable because of the combined address bar and search bar. I often use the Firefox search bar to jot down things to look up after I finish what I'm reading or to store text for a moment.
>>
File: 1447675908020.png (153 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1447675908020.png
153 KB, 351x351
>>52168327
>I often use the Firefox search bar to jot down things to look up after I finish what I'm reading or to store text for a moment.
it's a shame we haven't invented a dedicated program for that
>>
>>52167849

Chrome is a botnet by default, but you can switch off the data shipping to Google and have a decent browser. Use Chromium if you don't trust it.
>>
>Plugin container has stopped working

I can never ever fix this. It's so annoying
>>
>>52168339
Why would I use a separate, dedicated program when the search bar is right there?
>>
>>52167961
your argument for safari sure convinced me
>>
File: choklit.jpg (33 KB, 587x350) Image search: [Google]
choklit.jpg
33 KB, 587x350
>>52168345
>Chrome is a botnet by default, but you can switch off the data shipping to Google and have a decent browser
>>
>>52168304
GNU IceCat - i.e. plain old Firefox without the advertising/branding bloat. Don't fall for the fork memes, they're all shit (alright Waterfox is barely OK but not good enough to adopt over IceCat).
>>
>>52168417
This is the file I want, right?
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/38.5.2/icecat-38.5.2.en-US.mac64.dmg
>>
>>52168453
yep
>>
what about Opera? Or is it just a meme?
>>
>>52168345
Google makes 97% of their money from the data it collects about its users.

Just turn off their money stream and the very reason the browser exists!
>>
>>52168283
I've used it, it works fine. I'm currently trying Cyberfox and it seems to load pages a little faster than Waterfox. It also has a million customization options built in. I have no problems with either of them though and they honestly work better for me than vanilla Firefox because I tend to open a bunch of tabs and never close them.

I would probably use Palemoon if addon compatibility wasn't so shit.
>>
I use chrome in combination with the Ghostery/Disconnect/Adblock extensions and Click and Clean extension

On top of that im running PIA constantly and this is all done withing a VM

So google spying on me has never been a huge concern imo. Chrome gobbles up ram but it for sure runs way smoother than Firefox
>>
>>52168476
Spooky
>>
>>52168528
>20 shekels have been deposited into your account.
>>
>>52168345
Someone actually posted this unironically.
>>
Using Cyberfox and all the additional services I need work perfectly. Runs pretty great too.

Im interested in IceCat though. Might get it but Cyberfox is fulfilling all my needs right now.

Any reason to GTFO and get another fork or derivative yesterday.
>>
>>52167849
I made my firefox look like naked browser. confused boner.
>>
>>52167849
It has NoScript and RequestPolicy so yes but then again uMatrix exists.
>>
>>52169186
how?
>>
File: 1430183615873.gif (4 MB, 362x271) Image search: [Google]
1430183615873.gif
4 MB, 362x271
>tfw switched from Firefox to Chromium
I don't care anymore. Firefox was getting annoying to use.
>>
>>52167961
>After Microsoft openly spied on people, no one ever should use any of their products, if they can help it

Google is openly spying on everyone, and has been at it for almost two decades now, yet their products are "good".
>>
I switched to Chrome a few years ago from Firefox, then Chrome started choking on any number of tabs than 7 or 8 on my laptop, so I switched to Firefox again about 2 months ago and it is heaps better than the experience I've had with Chrome.
>>
as long as you keep using firefox, they'll keep screwing it up

there needs to be consequences for mistakes
>>
>>52168354
the search bar is literally the worst place you could find for it because it sends everything you type into it to your default search engine to generate the suggestions
that's the whole reason why firefox still has separate adress and search bars in the first place
>>
>>52169767
what version of windows 10 are you using?
>>
>>52168417

How's the plugin support? Does the holy trinity of uBlock Origin, Self Destructing Cookies and HTTPS Everywhere work?
>>
>>52170031
It's literally just Firefox without the branding and advertising. Anything that works on Firefox directly installs on IceCat
>>
>update to mozarella firecucks 43
>all updates from extensions take 2 weeks to review, thus leaving users with broken addons for 2 weeks if something doesn't work after a firefox update
>ublock origin not blocking youtube ads after firefox 43.0.x updates
>self destructing cookies not deleteing cookies after firefox 43.0.x updates
>if the developers publish an update today, it needs to be reviewed by mozilla which will take 2 weeks

GG

43 version of mozilla has been crashing and hanging a lot lately, never had this problem before what the fuck
>>
I use Firefox because it's free software. We need someone maintain a non-webkit-based engine.
>>
>>52170262
Does this mean it doesn't do the stupid palemoon "we literally only exist because some people didn't like the new default theme" thing? I might actually have to get that, then.
>>
>>52170342
this
can't wait for servo to become usable
I'm planning to rewrite the part of luakit that interfaces with webkit to work with servo once it's ready
>>
>>52170348
Icecat is a fork of Firefox that removes Firefox's recommendation of non-free software as plug-ins and addons. They also bundle a few privacy promoting plugins by default.
>>
>>52170450
Is has DDG as the default search engine. Uninstalled.
>>
>Even on the best hardware Chrome still performs better.
Nope. Browsing in Chrome may be faster than Firefox, but performance wise, it is a big pile of shit, even in i5 and older i7 builds.

>Scrolling down a page stutters like hell from time to time, even when GPU acceleration is ON or the "smooth" scrolling is enabled/disabled
>100% CPU usage in JavaScript and HTML5 intensive websites i.e: Soundcloud. while other browsers barely gets to 10-20%
>Saves logs of your data of the websites that you visited in your "User" folder, even if you told it no to or used Incognito mode.

Sorry pal, this "browser war" bullshit is only between Firefox and Edge, all Chromium-based browsers are unoptimized crap and privacy rapists.
>>
>>52170533
>Firefox and Edge
topkek

Chrom* is superior to both of them
>>
>>52168327
I do this too
firefox just feels nicer whereas chrome is tailored for retards
>customer service
>type the address in the url bar
>what's that?
>the bar on the top of the browser
>but there's two
having to type things into the url bar on chrome to change preferences feels clumsy as well, its a GUI browser for a reason
the tabs are disgusting too and not as comfy as firefox ones
>>
Vertical Tabs and being able to tweak the UI with CSS keeps me using it.
>>
>In b4 google botnet

If Rasheed and poo in loos are shilling for microshit then how are the google shills called?
>>
>>52170476
Change the default. problem solved.
>>
>>52171148
Based
>>
>>52171153
>here at FSF we take freedom very seriously
>GNU project must protect users privacy and Firefox, while mostly open-source, promotes proprietary addons and plugins, how do we fix this
>lets fork Firefox and promote DDG
>great idea Bill
>>
>>52171189
So you actually believe you know more about the technical aspects of technology and the moral aspects of privacy and business than the GNU project that cloned a whole operating system from scratch?
>>
>>52171153
No. Clearly if you don't like one of the default settings, you have to use a different programm. Install pale moon.
>>
>>52171189
What open source search enginge would you recommend instead?
>>
>>52167849
Does Chrome have smooth scrolling out of the box?
>>
File: ItWerks.png (97 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
ItWerks.png
97 KB, 2560x1440
Firefox Developer Edition just works.
>>
>>52167849
Just wait until e10s hits the release channel.
e10s, or electrolysis, is pretty much multi-process Firefox.

(If you've noticed how Chrome basically spams the process list and strangely becomes super fast, Firefox now does the same. Now with slightly less spam!)
>>
>>52171673
I don't know if this is the reason but Firefox has become stupidly fucking fast for some reason and I think it might be multi-processing. It's literally as fast as Chromium.
>>
Vivaldi is pretty good but it isn't exactly RAM friendly, but I love it on my desktop

Palemoon is good/better than FF.
>>
>>52167920
>but the developer seems to favor Chrome
This is false. The reason he originally developed HTTPSwitchboard for Chromium was because it was a technical challenge and didn't really exist before.
Firefox already had NoScript, Policeman etc. Then he just continued to focus on the Chromium version since he had help from others for Firefox/Safari. That has changed now since he basically does everything by himself now, dropping Safari support but picking up Firefox support himself.

In some forum post or GitHub issue, a user questioned the stability/maturity of the Firefox version of uBlock and gorhill actually responded that he felt like the Firefox version had both caught up and surpassed its Chromium counterpart. And to this day, there are a couple features in uBlock Origin that don't work completely/at all in Chromium.
>>
>>52167961
>Most of /g/ posters are straight
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA you almost had me until this part. Obvious b8, everyone on 4chan is a giant flaming faggot nowadays.
>>
>>52167961
All the addons that I used in Firefox(Except for HTTPS Everywhere,but now Palemoon developers themeselves has made a fork for that) works fine.Even though its a meme browser I must say Palemoon is pretty good and the only thinh I am missing is sync.
>>
>>52171607
>not blocking those jew nag squares
Fucking pleb.
>>
>>52169757
This was the reason why I switched back to firefox.I don't really care about the botnet.But Chrome developers must do something to save my battery and work(Most apps stops when using Chrome) if they want to mine my data for profit.
>>
>>52170556
Superiority maybe when taking into consideration speed tests who's difference in readings can only be taken seriously by an autist
>>
>>52167849
i just jumped from chrome to firefox after 6 years. firefox is now faster than chrome
>>
>>52171189
DDG makes a commitment to not spy on its users.You don't have to be so edgy about it.
>>
>>52167849
Switching to IceCat now.

What adblocker do I use these days?
>>
>>52172463
Icecat won't be needing it anyway.It blocks everything.
>>
File: 1451507490953.jpg (75 KB, 838x598) Image search: [Google]
1451507490953.jpg
75 KB, 838x598
>>52168345
>thinking you can just turn off the botnet

>>52170533
>he thinks edge respects his privacy
>>
>>52172389
Do you need to be reminded of the famous Google motto?
>>
File: googol.png (217 KB, 740x416) Image search: [Google]
googol.png
217 KB, 740x416
>>52172534
Oh Yes!I love Google.I fuckin love it so much.I leads me to light and knowledge.
>>
>>52172562
>weeb
>opinion disregarded
>>
>>52172332
>Being this autistic

Get a life, NEET fag.
>>
Chromium.
>>
>>52167849
Icecat have been working very well on both my Debian and Fedora machines.
Palemoon is my secondary browser and it's also solid.
I ditched chromium after Google force installed binary Spyware on it and I haven't missed it since.
If I want to check some Javascript script compatibility on chrome, I run it on opera instead.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-01+at+16.38.06).png (215 KB, 1431x901) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-01+at+16.38.06).png
215 KB, 1431x901
>>52172472
No it doesn't.
>>
>>52167849
Chrome? Are you joking anon? If you REALLY want to use Chrome, use either Chromium or a Chromium based browser, but not Chrome itself.

Also, i rather would recommend using either Otter, Qupzilla or Qutebrowser - which will get soon too Chromium, but it will be a heavy modified, not that heavy weight variant done by QT team called QTwebengine.

Chromium based browsers after that change, but heavily customizable. No Botnet, and totally FOSS
>>
>>52167849
But in general: Switching away from Mozilla based code is a good thing, as Mozilla does everything to destroy customization in it's own product and even more, getting rid of every Firefox based browser which has customization too.

Such behavior can only be seen as virtual holocaust and fascism against customization. Hitler would be proud!
>>
Anybody who works in web/web application development will tell you developing and compatibility issues are easier for fucking IE11 or Edge than SJWfox.
>>
>>52172823
Well gee, thanks captain obvious. Fucking retard.
>>
>>52167961
Vivaldi is just unable to release the sourcecode for their UI.

It uses heavily closed source resources from various third party developers, so they are not allowed to release the code, or they will face a lawsuit and have to close doors.
>>
>>52167961
And no, Firefox is not the best choice. It has become a lame Chrome copycat. There is zero reason to use such a lame imposter browser from such a lame imposter company.
>>
>>52167961
>>52168283
>>52168516
>>52169146
How do you know Waterfox,Palemoon,Cyberfox are not sending your information back elsewhere?
How does one verify that?
>>
>>52169727
>Firefox was getting annoying to use, so I went ahead, and decided to let Google data-mine the SHIT out of me every second of every day

This is how retarded you sound, kiddo.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.