[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple and Android users have had enough with older handsets turning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
Apple and Android users have had enough with older handsets turning to shit performance after upgrading to the latest supported OS. Apple customers have started a class-action against Apple due to how bad it's gotten.

Meanwhile, Windows 10 users be like pic related.

Why is Microsoft the only company that writes software which improves performance on all of their supported hardware with every release? I have old Windows phone devices, laptops from the 00's and workstations that my employer purchased when it was first established, all run buttery smooth on Windows 10, yet my iPad 3 can barely open Safari in under 5s, if it doesn't crash before that.
>>
>>52157605
Source
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/29/lawsuit-seeks-more-than-5m-from-apple-for-allegedly-slowing-older-iphones-with-ios-9-upgrade
>>
>>52157605
I don’t think apple deliberately make older devices slower with updates, I think it's just a matter of them putting less effort into optimising new versions on older hardware. It's shitty of them either way but that's business unfortunately.
>>
>>52157605
Because Microsoft tried to take a desktop OS down to the tablet market, making it better optimized, but we had to go through the pain of the Windows 8 GUI. The desktop PC is still the most powerful consumer-oriented computing device by a long shot, but it's not making great strides in performance like mobile devices are. I dislike Apple, but I don't know how much of this is intentional.
>>
File: 1332339546958.jpg (172 KB, 650x393) Image search: [Google]
1332339546958.jpg
172 KB, 650x393
>>52157800

I think they do and get away with it rather easy. Op makes a good point about Microsoft shit working superbly on relatively older computers, which, have millions of different configurations, drivers, software etc...

With Apple, there's a clue to how I think they intentionally introduce slow down that is nigh impossible to prove outright other than video evidence of said slow down.

After a new iOS is released, newer apps are forced to be run solely on the newer OS version by way of compiler optimization, e.g. compiling apps for iOS 9 means iOS6 or whatever are shit outta luck. Now, take the iPhone4s for example - it run pretty much sweet on iOS7 - come compile-time for iOS9 and Apple set a flag (or don't set flags) to optimize only for devices with latest cpu architectures - the 'older' devices are still quite capable but have had optimizations disabled during compile time leading to shittier performance.
>>
>>52160079
Well they are a hardware conpany, it's in their best interest for their customers to buy a new iPhone every year.
>>
File: capn.jpg (51 KB, 333x450) Image search: [Google]
capn.jpg
51 KB, 333x450
>>52160347

No shit.
>>
>As with every annual iOS update, iOS 9 was designed to take full advantage of Apple's latest hardware, in this case iPhone 6s. Aside from iPhone 6s-specific features like 3D Touch, iOS 9 is built to push Apple's class-leading A9 system-on-chip, a much more capable version of its 32-bit, dual-core A5 ancestor found in iPhone 4s.

What the hell does the operating system do that is more stressful compared to iOS7? Apart from "Faggot Touch" that is. Zero. Granted, the 4s has less memory than the latest devices but Apple intentionally leave out features on older devices which should save loading everything into RAM.

>While legacy handsets are technically compatible with iOS 9, older hardware is simply incapable of performing on a par with iPhone 6s. By definition, next-generation software is limited in its support of last-generation hardware. The case, then, in part argues Apple has a responsibility to protect consumers who are unfamiliar with rapidly evolving computer technology, or by extension consumer markets.

Wew, this does not sound like apologist bullshit trying to take advantage of morons, nope.

>Apple faced similar accusations in 2011 from plaintiffs in a class action complaint who claimed iOS 4 turned their iPhone 3G into "iBricks." The case was tossed a year later, though the topic of planned obsolescence continues to crop up with nearly every significant Apple release.

Yup, very similar accusations, Apple wins court case = free reign to continue their deceptive shit.

Why the fuck people buy Apple crap I'll never know. My friend at least was honest, she wanted to be a poser with her Macbook.
>>
>>52160079
ARM architecture hasn't really changed much besides adding more cores and going 64-bit. I don't think setting certain flags will help much if at all. Apple also rather blatantly cuts old hardware off at a certain model. You can use hacks to fool OS installation into thinking it's ok to install. The speed will be pretty terrible though. I feel they just don't think they need to disable shiny features to accommodate old hardware.
>>
File: iToy6s+ 1 month after launch.webm (817 KB, 202x360) Image search: [Google]
iToy6s+ 1 month after launch.webm
817 KB, 202x360
>>52157800
>I don’t think apple deliberately make older devices slower with updates
ayylmao
>>
>>52157605
Enjoy no apps hipster.
>>
>>52160873
>I feel they just don't think they need to disable shiny features to accommodate old hardware.

That's just the thing though - what shiny features? What is the OS doing that requires more CPU/GPU horsepower? Even if you disable all the animations and background parallax rubbish it still runs like ass. Folks even noticed a slow down on the iPhone 6 since going to iOS9.
>>
My iPhone does not automatically install these updates. It has always been my choice whether or not to update. I could do a factory reset and roll them all back to the original update. It seems to me this lawsuit is baseless because of this.
>hur I opted in to install the latest OS on my old hardware and now it runs slower!

That being said I'm currently using an iphone 5 and my mother is using an iphone 4, and the the 4 is dramatically slower doing simple OS functions. both of us have fewer than 5 3rd party apps. Both of us are as up to date as apple will allow, my 5 is on ios 9 but i think the 4 possibly didn't update past ios8 (i may be wrong)
>>
>tfw buttery smooth Windows Phone
>>
>>52161163
>tfw $20 521 wp that's absolutely horrid and abysmally slow

Well, at least it's faster than my 6s Plus after its first iOS update.
>>
>>52161233
Lumia 640 is $50, with a quad-core 1.2Ghz processor a gig of RAM.
Buttery smooooooooooooooth.
>>
>>52161136
>I could do a factory reset and roll them all back to the original update. It seems to me this lawsuit is baseless because of this.

The lawsuit is about perceived slow down caused by suspected planned obsolescence after updating. This is after Apple claiming older devices will run just fine with it which is contrary to real world usage. The plaintiffs note that Apple must have done testing in-house which shows the massive drop in performance/usability, yet Apple still let the update out. Now, they also say that due to Apple's signing mechanism, they cannot roll back to an older iOS as the window has closed. Therefore, they are trapped with a device that worked perfectly fine before update that now works like ass so their only solution is to put up, or buy a new phone. This is bullshit.
>>
>>52161262
I'm hoping to grab an unlocked 550 for $150. not bad for an unlocked phone with similar reported performance to the 640.
>>
>>52160917
Holy shit is that real? Disgraceful
>>
Oy vey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J6R0NnqOzc
>>
>>52161007
>>52161007

You fucks who argue with this, do you really not realise that the appmarket will grow with more users? Do you think android would have any apps other than Google's if it didn't have a huge base of users?
>>
>>52161007
Oh shit Android finally has good apps?
>top paid apps consist entirely of shitty iPhone game knock offs with in app purchases
>2016, Google still can't figure out how to show app's desperately from games
Get out of here, moron. You likely only ever use 5 different apps daily anyway, half of those which have html5 compatible web versions.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.