[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not hoping for a miracle and I'll make this as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20151230_224930.jpg (438 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151230_224930.jpg
438 KB, 1600x1200
I'm not hoping for a miracle and I'll make this as short as I can.

Been using this studio 1555 my brother had laying around for about five months. It was fine until a month ago when it would start freezing doing some specific tasks, couldn't even use firefox, occasionally blue screen'd so I reinstalled Windows 7 (home premium 64 bit) and it was okay for a few weeks then it started doing it again but I could only boot up for about five minutes before it would freeze so reinstalled it again and now it's been about a week. Now it won't even boot up.
It would give me an option for system recovery and to start normally. Neither work and when I try reinstalling Windows it gets to the Setup Is Starting... screen after hitting Install now and it freezes there.
It makes this noise like it's in a loop trying to do something. Same noise it'd make when it'd freeze.
Have already asked a couple friends, they say the HDD is probably toast

I guess I'm looking for confirmation. Am I screwed? Is the hard drive dead?
>>
Came here because couldn't find this specific problem on Google
>>
Anyone think I could even attempt installing a different OS?
>>
get another harddrive and install gentoo
>>
Sounds like hardware failure to me. HDD is probably toast, good news is SSDs are pretty cheap. Buy one off amazon and install openBSD when it comes in.
>>
>>52151460
I don't know shit about laptops internally. Should there be one that would fit in the same was as the hard drive or would it be external?
>>
>>52151266
>It makes this noise like it's in a loop trying to do something. Same noise it'd make when it'd freeze.

Most certainly the hard drive unless its coming out of the speakers. Run any type of SMART check on the hard drive and what it has to say, I recommend Aida64 (get a key from youtube) for the windows environment and hirens boot cd if you can't get it to boot.

Both with show you the health of the hard drive.
>>
>>52151506
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-500GB-Mobile-Hard-Drive/dp/B00C9TECFO that will do. you can find cheaper ones with less capacity if you don't want to put much money into this.

But it must be a 2.5 inch sata 2 or 3 drive.
>>
File: 1555harddrive.jpg (714 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1555harddrive.jpg
714 KB, 1920x1080
>>52151506
If its anything like my 1537 then the hard drive is accessed via the massive single back plate.

Just a few screws and it should slide out.
>>
File: IMG_20151230_233846.jpg (535 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151230_233846.jpg
535 KB, 1600x1200
>>52151612
>>52151557

Got the hard drive out.

One other question. Would it having a bum battery affect the hard drive's integrity? Like having to keep it plugged in to be on?

But this hard drive I got linked to, it will inside this laptop?

Thanks for assistance btw
>>
One final bump

Maybe someone can point me towards a startup guide to gentoo or openbsd. Only have used Windows my whole life. Guess I want to change that
>>
>>52152178
try Ubuntu if you are new, then learn up on how to use gentoo
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.