[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech confession thread: I don't tunnel any of my X sessions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 14
Tech confession thread:

I don't tunnel any of my X sessions through SSH.
>>
I'm grayfish from equation group and I'm just here looking for sick liquid cooling ideas for my gaming rig.

I'm thinking neon green coolant, thoughts anyone?
>>
>>52149293
Terry confirmed for CIA niggerkilling pedo
>>
>>52149360
How the fuck does nls_933w.dll even work?
>>
Guy came to me with a PC someone gave him and he wanted the password off. I just put a pirated copy of Win7 on it and gave it back
>>
nice try NSA
>>
my password is baseball
>>
>>52149293
I have the same password for every account I own

>2 factor auth bitchessss
>>
spoiler: me and a shit ton of anons torrent without vpn seedbox or whatever
>>
>>52150237
MPAA doesn't even care anymore desu senpai. They realized scare tactics don't work and people will do it anyway.
>>
i use lastpass
i should just kill myself now desu
>>
>>52149293
Terry confirmed for troll?

>masterbaited
>baited
>bait
>>
>>52149293
>I don't tunnel any of my X sessions through SSH.
Why is this a bad? What if you just want to SSH in and edit a text file or something?
>>
>>52149293
I desperately want to use Ubuntu but I'm stuck with Debian because I'm supposed to "learn GNULinux, not just use it"

Damn it I want my laptop to juzt werk.
>>
I honestly think windows was nice until Vista came out.
>>
>>52149293
I never, NEVER seed my torrents.

Whenever i see its seeding, i just block the connection.
Btw, i torrent about 10gb data per day, sometimes less, sometimes more.
>>
>>52151946
I will go as far to say that Vista actually had some decent features. Even UAC which was massively needed after retarded permissions system in XP that let every grandma install virus toolbars. It's just that microsoft shit their pants about OS X and Vista was the salvaged remains of their failed Longhorn project.
>>
>>52151958
I just don't understand this. There is no downside to seeding. It provides real benefit to others at essentially no cost to you. Cap the upload rate to 25% of your bandwidth and you won't even notice you're seeding.
>>
I still use Windows XP and see no reason to upgrade.

I use it a VM with no network connection, so it's not like I'm running it as my main OS. But most people still consider this weird.
>>
>>52151926
Just use Ubuntu. As long as you don't use Unity, Ubuntu is a perfectly respectable distro.
>>
the only keyboard shortcut i use is Win+L
>>
>>52152084
Shot itself
>>
>>52152012
Not even i know... at first id do it because it used to slow my whole internet down, then, when i learned you could cap it, it was merely psychological.
>>
>>52152284
Why not just set up your system to stop seeding after a few weeks? What you are doing now takes MORE work and does not help others.
>>
never used a virtual machine
never used a mac
get all software for free
>>
>>52150203
same
>several alphabets, several numerical digits, several special characters - probably take decades with the most powerful computer to crack it.
>>
File: PANICPANICPANICPANIC.jpg (22 KB, 420x279) Image search: [Google]
PANICPANICPANICPANIC.jpg
22 KB, 420x279
>>52149293
>>
>>52152340
Only the first one is an actual confession. The second two are badges of honor. Only an idiot would buy a Mac or pay for software.
>>
>>52149729
It'd been easier if you'd removed the password...
>>
I just bought my second Thinkpad and installed Linux on it. I think I caught the disease.
>>
>>52152460
Not really a confession.
>>
>>52152542
How's this then - I use nonfree drivers.
>>
>>52149729
changing a windows password (without knowing it) takes literally less than 5 minutes.
>>
>>52151926
If you really want to "learn" linux, use CentOS
>>
File: holyTerry.png (117 KB, 577x589) Image search: [Google]
holyTerry.png
117 KB, 577x589
can this just be a Terry Davis thread?
>>
>>52152037
why would you even do that?
>>
>>52152594
why?
>>
File: tumblr_ns2k7qcJbA1qaunzxo3_1280.jpg (79 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns2k7qcJbA1qaunzxo3_1280.jpg
79 KB, 768x1024
I bought a 1gb sd card 10-12 years ago for £80.
>>
>>52152345
>probably take decades with the most powerful computer to crack it
You can brute force 20 character passwords SHA1 in like a few hours with good hardware, whether or not your password is safe depends on how the people you give it to use it.
>>
>>52152616
Because centos is literally red hat without the red hat repos.

Red hat and centos are the stronk enterprise tier distros.

(the E in CentOS is Enterprise)
>>
I stole over 50k in equipment from my datacenter
>>
>I know jackshit about computers and how they work.
>The only line of code I've written was "Hello World" in C#
>I often forget why I lurk here so much in the first place if I'm no good with tech
>>
>>52152635
yeah but centos is basically debian with yum and a different config file conventions
>>
>>52152671
What are you talking about? You are literally /g/ incarnate.

Talking with you simpletons has been wearing on me, I'm just a lazy sysadmin that tries to help but you guys only care about shitty consumer garbage.
>>
>>52152675
Are you fucking high? Fuck off with that nonsense.

CentOS is redhat as far as using it goes.

If you want to use enterprise linux, get fucking centos, if you can use centos and administrate it you can run and administrate rhel and then you actually have a distro on your fucking resume that companies actually care about.
>>
File: 1382937934484.png (181 KB, 421x427) Image search: [Google]
1382937934484.png
181 KB, 421x427
My first job as a web developer paid $92k/year. While there I did about one total hour of work per week and showed up at about 11:45 every day just before free catered lunch. I spent most of my time programming a battleship game I could play in the chrome dev console that looked almost like work.

That company is now out of business and I have zero regrets.
>>
>>52149293
So what, do you just do xhost +remote? Jesus fuck
>>
>>52149293
I sent a HDD to a data recovery center knowing that it may have materials unencrypted on it that could send me to prison.

Haven't heard back whether the disk is fucked yet
>>
>>52152711
I'm not sure what you mean by 'administrate it' but I've been running centos on my home server for a good while now and I'm not really sure what you're talking about
I've only been using it for samba, transmission, a tiny bit of apache but I'm still not sure where exactly it differs from debian in any real way

>you actually have a distro on your fucking resume that companies actually care about.
>distro on your resume
are you fucking high?
>>
File: pedoTerry.png (28 KB, 590x168) Image search: [Google]
pedoTerry.png
28 KB, 590x168
he is looking a bit pedo
>>
>>52152789
What the fuck do you think admin is short for in sysadmin you fucking cuck?
>>
>>52152629
This is exactly why using multiple passwords is important.

A lot of web developers are morons and can't into security, so they hash passwords using insecure algorithms like SHA1. Sometimes they don't even hash passwords at all, like with 000Webhost recently. How fucked would you be if somebody got your username, email, and password associated with one site?
>>
>>52152808
I'm willing to accept that there's a much bigger difference between administrating a large network based on debian and administrating a large network based on centos, but only if you straight up say so, or expand on your point in any meaningful way, one example would be enough for me

this right here is going nowhere
fuck you and fuck this
>>
>>52152782
you know they'll see it right
>>
>>52152629
if you don't use a password manager you deserve to have your account hacked
>>
>>52149484
what is nls_933w.dll?
I tried googling it but all I found were click-baiting news articles.
>>
>>52152933
if you have all of your passwords accessible with one single password you deserve to have your accounts hacked
>>
I like LEDs on everything. I didn't build a PC to have it look like a generic Dell.
>>
>>52152872
The difference is no one uses debian and everyone uses centos.

If you talk about debian in an interview they'll know you're just some hobbyist neckbeard.

Same deal with esx vs proxmox or (insert your favorite hypervisor here)

No one gives a fuck if you messed around with virtualbox in an interview. No one cares if you fucked around with debian or ubuntu, if all you have on your resume is debian and home level garbage you are going to be passed up for the people who have FreeBSD instead of FreeNAS.
>>
>>52152012
I was told multiple times that the gov't either cannot press charges or doesn't care if you download a torrent, but you get fucked if you seed one. Ever since I heard that, I stopped seeding.
>>
>>52152918
it's not exactly content that would stick out considering where it is in the file structure and its metadata, and I'm 50-50 on whether I shredded it.

It's not like the data recovery guys are going to go through every file looking for shit.
>>
>>52152941
https://securelist.com/blog/research/68750/equation-the-death-star-of-malware-galaxy/

>Perhaps the most powerful tool in the Equation group’s arsenal is a mysterious module known only by a cryptic name: “nls_933w.dll“. It allows them to reprogram the hard drive firmware of over a dozen different hard drive brands, including Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba, Maxtor and IBM. This is an astonishing technical accomplishment and is testament to the group’s abilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_Group

Enjoy not sleeping the same for a few weeks. Read up on stuxnet to realize how unreal the capabilities were......6 years ago.

All above rumored to be NSA.
>>
>>52152953
you're talking about interviews and getting jobs, not "really learning linux" which is what the original point was

and even still you haven't pointed out the solid difference between centos and debian in a practical way, just in the way it is perceived/treated by others
>>
>>52152975
You've been listening to a lot of idiots.

1. The government doesn't press charges on anyone unless you're the source of the pirated material.
2. How you get prosecuted by media companies (NOT THE GOVERNMENT) isn't something that happens anymore- and when it used to happen it was like this:
If you were on a torrent tracker your IP was collected. That's it.
If your IP is on a tracker then just by looking at the tracker they know you have pirated material, and that's enough.
Nowadays that's enough for an automated ISP warning.

The 'no uploading' is a myth that stems from the kazaa days where the p2p worked completely differently, and the only way to make sure someone had a file was to download it from them and check- but with torrents the content is hashed and verified as part of the protocol.
>>
>>52153055
so, torrenting is safe?
>>
>>52149293
Wait, I don't get it
Do people ssh user@localhost -X to startx?
What's the fucking point
>>
>>52153055
thank you.
I am not >>52153085, but I ask the same question. For a long time, I have downloaded torrents through proxy. Is torrenting without a proxy safe? Is torrenting with a proxy safe? Is downloading copyrighted material through HTTP or FTP protocol any safer? Am I already fucked, or does anyone of power care about this shit? I never torrent big-name movies or music.
>>
>>52153085
No. It's equally dangerous no matter what you do.
Except if you use a VPN- then the IP on the tracker will not be yours, but some IP in russia where your ISP and the media industry has no sway. Even if the VPN is US based- unless you're being targeted by the FBI you're safe from copyright claims.
Nowadays you get 'we gonna sue you warnings' and they just shut off your internet instead.

>>52153123
You would know if you were already fucked. Buy a VPN service and use that for safe torrenting. Safe at the moment though, laws might change in the future, but at the moment it's pretty safe.

>Is downloading copyrighted material through HTTP or FTP protocol any safer?
Well kind of. If it's https that helps.
But finding content is much harder.
>>
>>52149293
Fuck off nigger.
>>
>>52153159
Thanks for the help and advice. It is hard to find useful or high-quality posts here these days, and even harder to learn useful information.
>>
>>52153085
Yes, perfectly save unless your ISP cares, most do not anymore, and even if they do all you get is a nasty email with no consequences.
>>
i didn't build a complete pc until this year from scratch, an amd machine to resell.

i've been working with computer hardware for 15+ years.

tonight i'll be pulling the cpu/hsf/ram out of a dell inspiron unit and putting it into an asus z97 mobo so i can finally have a 'real' built computer instead of the frankenstein builds i've always had.
>>
>>52152635
This. Red Hat is the "real" version of Linux, or as close as you will ever get.

Legit Red Hat costs hundreds of dollars a year to license, but CentOS is literally exactly the same thing minus the Red Hat branding.

RHEL ain't so easy for a beginner tho. Don't expect things to "just werk". But it also won't fuck up unless you make it fuck up.
>>
>>52150179
the passwords to all my spam and fake accounts are 0123456789 or 0123456789AsdF
>>
File: 1450294390277.gif (2 MB, 342x277) Image search: [Google]
1450294390277.gif
2 MB, 342x277
>>52152562
go fuck yourself faggot
>>
>>52153276
Everything about this post is wrong.
>>
I have system admin privileges over a very large public company, work mostly on my own, and spend most of the day doing LSD, methoxetamine, heroin and amphetamine.

And boy do I get paid
>>
>>52153421
Agreed
>>
>>52151958
I never let anything seed. The only time my cable company contacted me for pirating was because I left something seeding accidentally.
>>
>>52153484
Where do you get MXE these days? My sources dried up when china passed all that regulation. Also I can't work on psychs at all.

Stims are great work drugs though.
>>
>>52153607
Reserves from pre-ban hehe
>>
so newton was a pedo?
>>
>>52153702
Damn, I'm jelly. Got less than half a gram left, saving it. Will probably combo it with some AL-LAD or something.
>>
I make my nesquick with water
>>
Sometimes I shitpost in threads arguing for an extremist Free Software positions from my Windows machine. Yes it's a work machine, but still.
>>
File: spacealienkeks.png (339 KB, 894x331) Image search: [Google]
spacealienkeks.png
339 KB, 894x331
regenuo
>>
>>52153055
Ye thats why hollywood cucked straya into making seeders pay for dallas buyers anon?
>>
>>52153768
Oz has always bent over willingly for american corporations, even more than the US itself. Not our fault you have a while country and couldn't manage to find a spine.
>>
>>52153744
>tfw you shit all over UNIX-likes and ThinkPads from an X200 running Solaris

No regrets
>>
I'm a recovering alcoholic that's going back to school. My classmates think I'm a guy that started working in uni when I was younger and just never graduated. I love my second chance at life.
>>
>>52153804
How's Solaris on a laptop? I love Illumos on servers but my PCs are all GNU/Linux with one T530 running Windows for work.
>>
I've been slacking on installing security updates for my vps.
>>
>>52153421
How so?
CentOS is *binary* compatible withthe the corresponding RHEL version, i.e. take a RHEL 6.x executable and install/run on a CentOS 6.x system.
CentOS 'sanitizes' RedHat rpm's by rebranding, all within the GPL limits...
>>
>>52153838
Support is pretty good, everything works out of the box, battery life seems alright, and it's a reasonable DD for my typical use case.

But wireless is kind of a bitch. I have to use the GUI tool to initiate the connection and then manually kickstart DHCP for some reason, then it will decide to die on me at random requiring a reboot anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours after. But I'm willing to say it's my own retardation causing it, I've only run it on workstations, servers and VMs before, never on bare metal with a laptop.
>>
>>52153879
There is nothing about redhat that makes it a more real distro than anything else.

The difference between redhat and cent isn't just the branding. In fact the primary value proposition of redhat has _always_ been the support (as in a developer who will write a patch when you find a bug).

"it isn't easy for a beginner" is a stupid that means nothing. If anything RH actually does "just work" out of box more than most other distros (including ubuntu, compiz and flavor of the week bloatware does not usability make)
>>
>>52149293
i use windows 10
>>
I did the "zelda theme in your terminal" thing on my computer
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
48 KB, 600x600
There is literally nothing wrong with pedophilia so long as there is no coercion involved.
>>
File: 1451488964068.jpg (79 KB, 720x629) Image search: [Google]
1451488964068.jpg
79 KB, 720x629
>>52154704
Sure.. What are you confessing to?
>>
I dont give a shit about coding and only come to this board to talk about smartphones/tablets/GPUs/consumerism
>>
>>52149293
Why does Terry make that toothy grin all the time
>>
>>52155457
You'd be happy too if God had personally told you you were the next messiah.
>>
>>52155514
But that's not the face of happiness, that's the face of constant suppressed pain
>>
File: 1448274480436.jpg (59 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1448274480436.jpg
59 KB, 400x225
>>52155403
W-WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
I HAVE NO IDEA.
>>
>>52152037
enjoying being part of a botnet?
>>
If you make a post about "not being able to do X " on Windows or anything about not being able to control the update cycle I assume you're a tremendous moron who has no business being on a technology oriented website.

It's Windows. The barrier to entry is not high. If you can't figure out basic configuration you're an idiot.
>>
>>52156205
He runs XP in a VM, he should be good
>>
>>52154704
>>52155403
>>52155561
anime is shit and gay :DDDD
>>
>>52149293
X tunnelling is stupid anyway.
Network transparent display servers are stupid and destroy performance.
Can't wait for Wayland to take over.
>>
>>52149729
You can bypass those and change it really easily though.
>>
>>52153055
About 5 years ago, maybe more, i was downloadong xbox original games for my modded xbox and my ISP shut my internet off for a week, and said the Entertainment Protection Agency was threatening to sue (its just a scare tactic/ slap on wrist approach). Ive never torrented since. Still download w 4shared etc.

What probably tipped them off was either a honey pot seeder or my massive bandwith hemorrhaging that probably stuck out like a sore thumb in my neigborhood.

Couple weeks later my neighbor also got threatened to be sued for torrenting a movie, not sure if they shut off his internet though. (We had the same provider at the time)
>>
File: japanese anime.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
japanese anime.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>52156419
No it's cute and cool. :3
>>
>>52155457
because it is a picture anon.
>>
>>52150280
What's bad about lastpass?
>>
I'm a developer that has no idea how to code a driver
>>
File: 1316723435381.jpg (53 KB, 544x548) Image search: [Google]
1316723435381.jpg
53 KB, 544x548
>>52156419

Ur faec is shit and gay and also there is nothing wrong with being gay.
>>
I'm always shilling about how fast OS X is even though Safari occasionally freezes, I think it's uBlock but I'm not really sure, maybe it's really Apple's fault.
>>
>>52156771
Umaru is cancer.
>>
I hate games, computers and everything in tech.

I wish people didn't assume that just because you {like, study} computer science you have to like geeky culture
>>
>>52149293
I game on a my shitty HP laptop.
>>
>>52149729
>"Gave him"

Right....
>>
I like unity
>>
>>52149293
is this a troll account?

I'm seriously starting to believe it's real because of things he writes on his site

>Bill Gates might say, "Abstraction layers are like condoms -- you should wear at
least three. What, are you a terrorist?"
>Obama and the atheist CIA wake each day and ask, "How can we fuck God, today? I
know! We'll make nuns perform abortions. We'll make a complete mockery of marriage because, after all, niggers don't have fathers and that's not fair.

http://www.templeos.org/Wb/Home/Wb2/CIA.html
>>
>>52160153
>he doesn't know who the actual madman Terry Davis is
>>
>realize that Twitter account is not a fake
>holy shit what's going on
>look around on Wikipedia and shit
>"Davis was born December 1969 and has been diagnosed with schizophrenia since the mid-1990s."

Meh, bad old mental illnesses. Still interesting that he got so much shit done, though it's useless.
>>
>>52149360
hire me pls i wann2 hakk i use arch linux i promise i can hackk good
>>
I didn't encrypt my drives.
>>
>>52152601
He's really smart though, I like watching his tutorials
>>
>>52161220
That twitter is fake as fuck. Look at who he's following. It's a celebrity memefest. I guarantee it's some retard from here.
>>
>>52161925
Dude, he's schizo.
>>
>>52152372
I dislike Macs in the same way that children dislike horseradish - irrationally and without even trying it first.
>>
File: CIA NGGERS.png (34 KB, 1030x220) Image search: [Google]
CIA NGGERS.png
34 KB, 1030x220
tfw terry gives you hope
>>
>>52162268
he's based af
i wish he was my friend
>>
>>52149484
Do you know if it's tied to a specific program? I've never heard of it.
>>
>>52153037
That's fucking crazy. I guess that's what endless development money gets you.
>>
>>52162035
If it was real and he's been ranting all this shit for the past few months his friends or family would have done something. The stuff this account is going on about is pure 4chan shitposting.
>>
>>52162328
See
>>52153037
>>
>>52162336
>few months

It's been years that he's been doing this anon. He's been shadowbanned on almost all major tech sites. It's not some guy from 4chan shitposting, it's real.

His youtube channel (currently 429 videos):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdX4uJUwSFwiY3XBvu-F_-Q/videos
>>
>>52155403
this image goes completely against the original joke.
>>
>>52160153
Look up TempleOS, you're in for a treat.
>>
>>52162395
Fuck, I remember reading about all the god shit he used to post, I didn't think he'd got this bad. I've been going threw his youtube vids, you can see him being O.K for a while then going mental.

Yeh I was wrong, how is this guy allowed to live amongst the rest of the populace?
>>
I never verify the authenticity of hostkey signatures.
>>
>>52153037
I gave up trying to hide from the NSA, now i just try to hide from everyone else BUT the NSA, i even keep random txt files asking them how they are doing today
>>
>>52153484
>very large public company, work mostly on my own, and spend most of the day doing LSD, methoxetamine, heroin and amphetamine.
>LSD
>Doing LSD and NOT seeing the rainbow
>>
>>52162347
shiiieeeet
>>
>>52152751
she looks like olivia benson..
>>
>>52149293
I use meme peripherals, because prefer them to others

>deathadder chroma
>corsair strafe
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.