[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I find the IP address to my remote computer? I was using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_3767.jpg (363 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3767.jpg
363 KB, 1000x1000
How do I find the IP address to my remote computer? I was using the 192.168.x.x and stupidly forgot to get the actual ip address now that I'm stuck across town. I remember facebook and doodle would show prior logins, but when I tried this its now dumbed-down and only gives the city location. I don't think this makes a difference, but the remote machine I'm connecting to is running FreeBSD.

pic unrelated, but "Hoe Cakes" is a nice song.
>>
>>52137345
hack the jibson
>>
>>52137345
>I was using the 192.168.x.x
>actual ip
wat
>>
Maybe check recent email headers for origin IP address?
>>
>>52137384
this only works when you're on the same network
>>52137425
didn't see it in the headers, but gmail is kind enough to show you in the details link on the bottom of the inbox. ty
>>
>>52137345
Mf doom <3
>>
>>52137482
No problem
Did that work?
>>
>>52137513
it worked for what I was asking, but for some reason its not showing the FreeBSD machine's login. It was from lynx, so perhaps that has something to do with it. The only logs I have are from OSX mail and whatever chrome thing it recognizes Opera as. I changed the last digit of the ip address throughout 0-9 but no joy. I'm not too worried about it; just wanted to do some more tinkering before I crash on my buddies couch.
>>
Setup port fowarding on the router for the remote access?
>>
>>52137635
Thanks. I set that up before but that may have been on a previous router.
>>
First, are you sure you *have* a static IP? Most home internet connections are given a new IP address quite often.

You may want to look at a service like dyndns. Put a small client on the machine you want to connect to, the client notices when you get a new IP and tells dyndns about it, dyndns updates your custom subdomain (thebsdboxinthebasement.dyndns.com or whatever) to point to the new IP.

Of course, I've had enough static IPs for so long that I have no idea if dyndns, or similar services, still exist, or if they're any good. But the idea itself is simple.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.