[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slow Internet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1449792151540.jpg (433 KB, 960x930) Image search: [Google]
1449792151540.jpg
433 KB, 960x930
I'm almost 100% positive that the kids staying home and hogging up all the bandwidth downloading steam games and watching netflix has ruined my holiday internet experience.

I can barely get 4chan to load.
>>
>>52131958

Find your router's address and set up QoS to prioritize your device. Easy peasy if you have a non-shit router.

If none of that made any sense to you, then search the following terms: "How to set up QoS on (INSERT YOUR ROUTER'S MAKE AND MODEL HERE)"
>>
>>52132008

this does nothing

his issue is my issue and ive had it for years, the only solution is to move if you have no other carrier

your ISP is a rat jew and has oversubscribed the bandwidth

it is unfixable, complaining does nothing.

I hate my life.
>>
>>52132008

i live in the middle of nowhere with only one local ISP. my router isn't the issue.

>>52132025

dis nigga know's what's up. my ISP is pretty bro tier most of the year but as they have come further along and have plans up to 100 Mbps that they know they can't handle under real load, we all just get fucked.
>>
>>52132046
This is the problem though.

The ISP can keep uping the bandwidth for everyone all they want, this just makes the problem worse.

The pipe to the internet has to be 100mbps*N (where N is the # of people paying at each household).

If the total available bandwidth (100*N) is not upheld, then just a few individuals can max out the internet, thus making it lag for all users.
>>
>>52132075

no shit?
>>
>>52132025
>>52132046

Complain to your ISP and then the FCC, take them to court if you're not getting your advertised speeds.

Alternatively, go to your neighbor's homes at night and clip the cable that runs out to the light pole. (I'm KIDDING)
>>
>>52131958
>has kids
>is on 4chan
I'm calling child services
>>
>tfw 1450ms ping
>.06mbps up
>.01mbps down

All because my mom decided to watch the entirety of Breaking Bad.

I just gave up and tethered my laptop to my 3G phone, which was still faster.
>>
>>52132164

no kids

>>52132206

at least your mother doesn't have shit taste. all mine watches is law and order or csi knockoffs.

i'd rather read shit on 4chan than watch tv.
>>
>>52131958
white list your mac address
alternatively, cancel netflix
>>
File: Compa.png (646 KB, 603x931) Image search: [Google]
Compa.png
646 KB, 603x931
I don't know how these computer thingies work but how and why exactly is bandwidth a limited thing?
>>
>>52132504

gotta have the hardware to push and pull all those bits and bytes. you've also got to pay the piper that is big telecom so your end users can actually send and receive data beyond the local office.

then you have to run cost/benefit analasys like any business, pay employees, pay fees/taxes etc, and still make a profit.

those hundred dollar a month plans bring in good money to further upgrades in hardware but i feel where ISP's fuck up the most is simply offering more than they can realistically sell.

if my ISP maxed out at 25 Mbps i think they would be ok. selling 50 and 100 Mbps plans is kicking their ass in the customer service department, but that doesn't matter when there are no alternatives and they have a monopoly.

my best alternative is 4G over verizon, but then you run into the data cap jew, and i'm not paying any more per GB than i am right now.
>>
>>52132504
Because we live in a finite world with finite resources.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.