[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
startup checklist: > foosball table that is collecting dust
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: ycombinator-logo-fb889e2e.png (1 KB, 257x257) Image search: [Google]
ycombinator-logo-fb889e2e.png
1 KB, 257x257
startup checklist:

> foosball table that is collecting dust
> beer fridge everyone is too scared to touch
> macs everywhere
> pretentious hipster owner
> naive CS "rockstar" grads
> technology stack no one has ever heard about
>>
>>52131921
you forgot:
>some dumb boomer VC guy who talks about building a "basket of unicorns"
>>
>>52131921
It's [unicorn name] for [service that needs 'disrupting' like a bull needs tits]!
>>
>>52131921
That sounds like almost every shitty start-up I've worked for. The place I'm at now actually makes use of the ping pong table and keg. It feels good man. Real good.
>>
>"hackathons"
>reception area literally looks like a nursery

Ugh. Brogrammers.

I'm 100% fine with beardy wizards. Particularly fine with cute traps. Smelly fat guys can at least shower, that's cool.

But no, fuck brogrammers. They're absolutely insufferable pillocks. They've treated me like I'm an idiot, then I've had to school them with 30-year-old shit they didn't know that apparently they don't learn nowadays, and then they look at me like I'm some sort of cross between Trinity; Xena, Warrior Princess; a militant librarian; and Ada fucking Lovelace. They've got money to burn but don't even know they're in Dot-com Bust II: Revenge of the Useless Companies. I do not fit in their world, bro. It's why I retired from the consultancy I was doing.

And I'm fine with that, because the doofuses don't even read what I suggest and pick their frameworks and shit based on what's cool this year. They're agile, move fast and break things. I'm careful, move slow and actually fucking engineer things.

Ugh. Jocks aren't even a thing over here. Who let them in, and when did they think they could do this? Am I just old? It's not just me, is it? (...it could be.)
>>
>>52132718
If everyone treats you like shit then chances are you're treating them like shit. You sound like a nightmare to work with. I'd be willing to bet that there isn't single brogrammer crushing code out there that thinks positively of you.
>>
>>52132769
>crushing code
Opinion discarded
>>
>>52132769
Well, I was a consultant. Stayed professional, did what they paid me for, got out. Obviously you don't act like you do on 4chan to people's faces.

I've never disliked anywhere else that much, not had any problems anywhere else I've been (apart from one CEO who once asked me, apparently thinking I was a secretary not the consultant, to make the tea: and as I pointed out, for £500+ an hour I don't think I mind putting the kettle on!) and oddly enough they were completely fine with me: tried to offer me a job, even. (I said I was... very happy in my current position, thanks.)
>>
> foosball table that is collecting dust
Nope, we have a PS4 that is not dusty.

> beer fridge everyone is too scared to touch
Coolers full of quality craft beers that get stocked weekly.
We also have like twenty bottles of quality single malts.

> macs everywhere
Yeah, the only laptop worth developing on.

> pretentious hipster owner
Nope, dude's an anti-hipster.

> naive CS "rockstar" grads
I might be one. There might be others. I'm okay with this.

> technology stack no one has ever heard about
Scala / Angular, quite an enterprise tier stack nowadays.

Rate us /g/ :3
>>
>>52133162
>Angular
Broken by design.
>>
>>52131921
Topkek.

So fucking true
>>
>>52132811
But crushing code is my fetish!
>>
>>52133162
Scala...
>>
>>52133162
>Scala
meme
>Angular
meme^2
>>
Ruby on Rales!? freakin epic xD
>>
>not using the MEME (Microsoft, Erlang, Mongo, Ember) stack
>>
>>52131921
>> naive CS "rockstar" grads
>grads

implying you'll make it if your first owners didn't have the balls to drop out of their CS course. You only need one grad and that's the business grad fuck everyone knows this.
>>
>company name is a word ending in -er except they replaced it with just -r
>.ly address
>all investment money goes to ridiculously expensive San Francisco office space
>>
>>52133162
>you like shit then chances are you're treating them like shit. You sound like a nightmare to work with. I'd be willing to bet that there isn't single brogrammer crushing code out there that thinks positively of you.
fucking blip.

kill yousefl, faggot
>>
>>52132769
this, OP is probably the biggest sperglord ever
>>
>>52138083
>2015
>quoting the wrong post
>>
File: image_14_0.jpg (36 KB, 393x255) Image search: [Google]
image_14_0.jpg
36 KB, 393x255
>>52139246
>>
>>52131921
Memes aside, startups are pretty good places to work. There aren't too many people and you don't need anyone's approval to do anything, so you can be really creative and take chances to keep your company from sinking and making it float. There is a lot less of that hierarchy and typical office politics bullshit in startups because they simply can't afford to waste time and resources on non issues
Plus the really likeable thing about startups is that you don't have a definite role, your desk job can become a field job at any time and vice versa, there's no monotony in startups
>>
>>52139381
>startups are pretty good places to work.
Have fun with your 17hr workday and digging through legal fees to get your last codemonkey check when everyone realizes your particular flavor of startup meme is getting stale and it's time to end the party
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.