[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you save Microsoft, /g/? > Most successful operating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 1390175090081.jpg (2 MB, 1900x1150) Image search: [Google]
1390175090081.jpg
2 MB, 1900x1150
How would you save Microsoft, /g/?

> Most successful operating system in the history of computing
> Most feature-rich office suite ever created
> World class SQL Database engine
> Most popular enterprise email engine
> Presence in the phone/tablet market
> Owns C#, possibly the best OO programming language, and F#, the most popular functional programming language

There's a lot of value here that's being mismanaged. If you were the new CEO, how would you bring MS back to the top? What projects would you emphasize, which ones would you drop, what new things would you invest in?
>>
>>52127379
2/10
you tried to hard...
>>
>>52127379
save?

they're fine, jim
>>
>>52127379
Make everything open source, change business model to target enterprise customers and sell service/support contracts. Also, increased marketing for cloud storage/backup services.
>>
>owns C#
My jimmies...
>>
Make phoning home a setting that the user can control. Same as with updates. And actually proper encryption. Outlook.com also needs encryption. I'd want users to be able to trust Microsoft.

Make Windows free for consumers and paid for servers, business users and OEM computers. People need to stay addicted to the product so you can keep the professional market.

People can purchase Windows and Office online and they can always redownload it.

Office will come in three versions: basic for home users for free (with very limited features), basic for professional use for a low fee per computer OEM key (with limited features) and Office 356 which features everything for a recurring fee.

Start investing profits into innovation. And release actual products, instead of trying to leech off the same old licenses forever. Microsoft has done nothing of note for ages and is now trying to imitate Google. All despite that they invest shitloads in R&D. They should stop being scared of doing new things.

Take the phone market for example. If you call with Whatsapp you only require bandwidth, so it's free with wifi. Why don't Microsoft phones do that by default if two guys have wifi on? Despite that Microsoft has a fucking Skype network rolled out already.

I'd simplify Azure it becomes easier for simple websites to be hosted there. Even make it able to register domains. You already have the infrastructure, why not use it?

Why doesn't Microsoft have it's own battle.net / steam gaming platform that's not shit? No DRM bullshit, just video games. They already have the games and brands. Why not use it? They could even add in their own netflix and spotify and make it a privacy conscience multimedia platform.
>>
>>52127947
Also, OneDrive works like ass. The guys working on it should be fired and replaced.
>>
>>52128096
And Paint. Just make proper image editing software instead of sticking with half assed products that no one uses. Instead of Photoshop people should be using Photopaint.
>>
>>52127379
I would hold its head under the water until no more bubbles emerged.
>>
>>52127379
>F#, the most popular functional programming language
>>
Get rid of the shit touch interface thing that Windows 8 and 10 use. It's crap
>>
>>52127379
>Most successful operating system in the history of computing
What? Unix was much more influential than Windows, and Linux is installed on far more computers than Windows. Windows is only "successful" because Microsoft charged money for its license
>>
>>52128662
.NET reality distortion field at work.
>>
>>52127379
i wouldn't
>>
File: 2d1.png (27 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
2d1.png
27 KB, 500x500
>>52130259
>linux is installed on more computers than windows.
>>
>>52127379

> Most successful OS

This doesn't matter as computing is shifting to touchscreen and they have the least successful OS for that market.

> Most feature rich Office Suite ever created.

The day Google gets just a little bit serious about features in Google Drive is the day MS Office dies. We're already seeing the same typical migration to Google happening here that we saw with search and mail, it's just taking a little longer this time because the features are a little lacking.

> Most popular enterprise email engine

Oh, that lucrative email client market, LOL.

> Presence in the phone/tablet market.

Windows Phone is about as relevant as Bing. No apps, no relevance in the Phone business; end of story.
>>
>>52127947

Your business model sounds like it would give MS better long term survival, but it would result in short term cash losses so it'll never happen. Wall Street likes to see these companies just squeeze out the most they can, when they can, and just die if they can't keep it up.
>>
>>52130473
This outside the 365 being the only fully feature version for office. Stop pushing cloud shit on people who don't want cloud shit.
>>
>>52127379

>chink fortress

wow such an epic image
i used to have that on my windows XP desktop
im also japanese
>>
>>52130409
computer != desktop.
>>
>>52130583
I looked through my image folder; it seemed as good a representative image of Microsoft as any. MS as a fortress is an interesting analogy: powerful assets built up by a prior generation, under attack by modern day threats. Will today's descendants of the builders be enough to defend the fortress?

It was applicable enough that I chose it. Why a chink fortress instead of a French or English one? First one I came across in my 2,000+ image folder.
>>
>>52127379
M$ is 10 years too late to be saved. Reserve the time and send me back when XP was released. I would work on improving the OS in terms of security, stability, package manager and reducing bloat by having minimal design and UI elements. I would turn XP into a rolling release and keep it alive for 10 years until I could figure out something better.
>>
1. Buy minecraft
2. Build usable hololens
3. Make minecraft work in hololens

Microsoft is saved.
>>
>>52127379
make the spying in windows 10 100% optional.
that way MS still gets all the valuable info they need, and people will (for the most part) stop bitching about win 10

also
> Presence in the phone/tablet market
what? all 3 devices they've sold?
>>
>>52130417
>the features are a little lacking.

have you actually used any of the office tools for actual work? The web features are laughable.
>>
>>52127947
Ever since they stole Apple's GUI, Microsoft's entire strategy has been to copy, then supplant. They've stuck to it but have just been failing hard recently.

Successful Conquests
Wordperfect
Lotus 123
Netscape

Fails
Bing
Microsoft Game Market (lol)
Etc
>>
>>52127438
So make them RedHat?

To be honest, it looks like MS doesn't give a shit about software anymore because they're losing in that field and can't make money. They want to get into surveillance, which is why they're ramming 10 up everyone's asses.
>>
>>52127379
Stop with the telemetry bovinefaeces.
>>
>>52127379
drop hololens like a fucking brick
>>
>>52127379
make everything open source and remove all telemetry just so the shitposting on /g/ comes to an end
>>
>>52127379
I would drop Bing, invest less in tablets and make a not free, but no malware version of windows.

I would limit smartphone manufacturing too, only 1 model per year. A relatively expensive one with high quality materials and hardware, in limited number with a non-botnet software.

Most smartphones sell with exclusivity and prestige. So average stupid sheep consumers must think they buy something like that.
>>
>>52127379
Make widnows unix based OS
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.