[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ what single board computer or otherwise has enough computing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: orange-pi_-07_2048x2048.jpg (263 KB, 1200x906) Image search: [Google]
orange-pi_-07_2048x2048.jpg
263 KB, 1200x906
/g/ what single board computer or otherwise has enough computing power to not crap out decoding MKV files? I've been trying to use an original raspberry pi to do this, but it's shit.

Also single board computer general.
>>
Dude just use a real computer for your HTPC
>>
>>52122284
Not op, but also interested in single board nas/file server

Low power draw and cheap initial cost are very appealing
>>
>>52122257
Rasp pi 2 does or so they claim. Also just use an old computer Jesus man...
>>
>>52122321
For a NAS or file server a Pi does great.
Just h264 decoding = please kill me
>>
>>52122257
whats the point with the single board computer shits
just get a fucking 30$ x265 HEVC decoding android tv box and be done with it, its literally that much on chink sites like gearbest/banggood
1gb ram, quad core rockchip, free hdmi cable and remote.

android might put some people off but who cares its chink shit that plays hi10p
>>
>>52122257
just get Odroid
>>
o how i love sbc
the future looks bright
>>
>>52122345
OP here, that's what it is currently doing, in addition to seedbox.
>>52122413
>>android
can it at least run debian? I guess what I'm really asking here is what are the minimum specs I need to play that?
>>
>>52122343
>Also just use an old computer Jesus man..

have fun with that power bill
>>
>>52122257
Single Board computer?

http://www.pcengines.ch/

They make Based Low power boards with AMD CPU's that can do anything from crypto to routing trafic in large scale networks decoding 10 bit video is a no sweat task for them.
>>
>>52123269
Oh and their new board is Powered By Libreboot.
>>
>>52122257

I been wanting to do something similar to that, been looking into single boards but by the time you buy everything you need, you can just purchase a full computer.

Dell has a $150 chromebox with a celeron I wonder if that would be powerful enough to do the same.
>>
>>52123288
>>52123269
It's this one.
http://pcengines.ch/apu2b4.htm
>4 gigs ECC ram
>Bootable from both SD and SATA ports
>3 Intel gigabit NIC's
>USB 3.0
And its not that expensive at all.
>>
>>52122257
Nvidia Tegra K1 can do 1080p h265 in software. But it's not exactly a new sbc anymore, and changing the OS is a bitch. But it's a massive powerhouse of an ARM board. If they're still on sale from nvidia's site for $99, it's your best bet. Use the promo code "MAKEJTK1".

If it's not on sale anymore don't bother. I took the route of the Tk1 instead of a conventional build with an Athlon 5350 and given the choice I wouldn't do it again.
>>
RP2 and install openelec for MKV files op
>>
File: 71tta6cPlDL._SL1500_.jpg (42 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
71tta6cPlDL._SL1500_.jpg
42 KB, 1500x844
Nvidia Shield TV
>>
>>52122345
>Just h264 decoding = please kill me
What are you talking about?
The Pi does that just fine, since it has hardware acceleration for h264.
>>
>>52125725
The way it's meant to played™
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.