[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tigerdirect is kill; no longer accepting returns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: systemax.jpg (1 MB, 2433x955) Image search: [Google]
systemax.jpg
1 MB, 2433x955
where were you when Tigerdirect was kill and sold shit with all sales final (no returns)

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2015/03/03/brothers-guilty-fraud-at-systemax-computer-company-sent-to-federal-prison-by/
>U.S. District Judge Jose E. Martinez handed Carl Fiorentino, 57, a prison term of over six years, while 55-year-old Gilbert Fiorentino got five years behind bars. Records show their scam cost Systemax at least $27 million in higher supply costs and that Carl Fiorentino alone received at least $9.5 million in kickbacks from a Taiwanese supplier, RICI International.
>Assistant U.S. Attorney Jerrob Duffy said the brothers occasionally received bags of cash from vendors in company parking lots of a Systemax subsidiary, TigerDirect, including one filled with more than $240,000 in gold coins intended to help the scam escape detection. Duffy held that bag aloft in court as a symbol of the crimes.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/return.asp
>Beginning December 24, 2015, all sales are final. Orders placed on or after 12/24/2015 12:00 AM ET are not eligible for return, refund or exchange and returns will not be accepted. The manufacturer’s warranty for covered products will still apply. Information about a product manufacturer’s warranty and/or support contact information can be found within the item's detail page on our website or you can click here to visit our Help Center.
>>
And nothing of value was lost. Fucking rebate scammers.
>>
fuck them, I bought a motherboard from them 7 years ago, then they sent me a letter saying they were suing me because it was on back order
and they sent it before charging me anything

why would they do that over 60 dollars that I ended up being charged for anyway?
>>
>>52119006
Back when they ran their own rebate house it was the biggest scam on the face of the planet. I think they stopped that when they were getting sued by some state governments over deceptive practices.

>>52119058
TD has always been a hit or a miss on customer service. The base of their website is some ASP.NET nightmare too that regularly melted down.
>>
>>52119094
I remember my dad getting their Catalog in like 95'
96' him wanting to upgrade from our performa 405.

"This one had 5 Pci slots!, we should get that one"
What the hell would we have done with a mac clone with 5 pci slots Dad?
>>
>>52118842
.ca doesn't seem to be changed: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/sectors/help/faq1.asp#or9

Is the Canadian division run as a separate company and not affected? Or just not updated yet?
>>
File: 1449168583479.png (60 KB, 600x479) Image search: [Google]
1449168583479.png
60 KB, 600x479
Holy shitsnacks! I agree tho... If you're going to be shady, bags of gold coins is the gentleman's way of doing it.
>>
>>52119190
That portion is over bags of loonies : stand by
>>
>>52118842
>article from March
Hang on a sec, something's fishy here.
>>
>>52119229
They had to restate their accounting, the company lost major leadership, and sold out to the parent company of PCMall in november. Then as of December 24th they decided to stop returns. Tigerdirect as a site will probably be spun down soon. PCMall said they're keeping 400 Tigerdirect employees and laying off 500.
>>
Never ordered anything from them but tiger direct catalogs in the 90s (omg cathodes and neon dfi mobos and glowing ide cables) were what got me interested in system building which then led me to computer engineering.

Good to see scumbags get their due but still full of feels to see them go
>>
>>52118842
Won't people just start doing chargebacks?
>>
>>52119397
The number of people who don't know chargebacks exist / are too dumb to use them is astounding.
>>
>>52119397
>>52119473
If a store sells with all sales final, the fact that they don't accept returns is not a valid reason for a chargeback.
>>
>>52119484
Wrong, you can CB for whatever reason you wish, and TD won't send a lawyer after you for 60$.
>>
>>52119520
why did I get a letter from a law firm in Florida then ? some automatic thing?
>>
>tfw almost ordered some of my parts for my pc from tiger direct because they were 2-5 dollars cheaper than newegg at the time

>tfw inadvertently avoided a 50/50 chance of being scammed out of my money entirely because I didn't want to wait for shipping

It's crazy how long these companies can get away with buisiness practices like these. I mean it's not like they're some shitty eBay store based in China.
>>
>>52119520
http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/TB_CB_Manual.pdf
>Proper Disclosure of Refund Policy. If the merchant informed the cardholder of its refund policy at the time of purchase, the cardholder must abide by that policy. For example, the cardholder’s sales slip clearly indicates that the refund policy is “in-store credit only” or “no refunds.”

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/download/merchants/chargeback-management-guidelines-for-visa-merchants.pdf
>No Refunds or Returns or Exchanges
>Your establishment does not issue refunds and does not accept returned merchandise or
merchandise exchanges.
>Internet or Application
>Your website must communicate its refund policy to the cardholder in either of the following locations:
>In the sequence of pages before final checkout, with a “click to accept” or other acknowledgement button, checkbox, or location for an electronic signature,
>or
>On the checkout screen, near the “submit” or click to accept button
The disclosure must not be solely on a link to a separate web page.

Nice try, armchair expert. The "no returns or refunds" message is being displayed in the checkout pages of Tigerdirect which meets the disclosure rules.
>>
>no returns / all sales final
>companies going out of business do this
They are closing their operations. Good. They sucked. Just as much as Radio Shack.
>>
I actually bought a SYX Systemax laptop once, it was a pretty good machine.
>>
>>52118842
The tigerdirect brand is sticking around, they're just getting out of consumer retail. TD also has a business to business sale division which is what PCMall bought out. Rather than hold on to the consumer thing on its own, they're just liquidating it.
>>
>>52119587
>using anyone but amex
>implying cc companies actually give a fuck

I got a letter from a law firm twice, contacted amex and they asked me to forward it to their legal dept both times. Never heard anything about it since.
>>
>>52119976
https://knowledgecenter.americanexpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Merchant-Chargeback-Guide.pdf
>Alway post return and cancellation policies where they can be seen prior to the transaction, e.g., near the register or on online checkout pages.
Amex is awesome but it doesn't change anything in this instance.
>>
>>52120018
I assure you, I've had this happen to me, and amex dealt with it. Policy is there so amex doesn't get sued. Just try it on a dumb 20$ item and see what happens.
>>
>>52120054
Amex usually deals with it with a benefit called Extended Return Policy funded by the Amex Assurance Company if the purchase is under $300.
>>
>>52120175
I've literally forwarded letters to the amex legal dept. What are you implying, that they paid the guy anyway and ate the cost?
>>
>>52118842
>a Taiwanese supplier

>Ricey International.

qeq
>>
>>52119520
>Wrong, you can CB for whatever reason you wish
No. You can only chargeback if the merchant breaks their own terms of sale. By checking out you agree to the terms. Credit card companies can only enforce those terms.
>>
>>52120234
Depends on the exact circumstances, but yes. They pay a few cents off each purchase to the Assurance company which oversees certain benefits to offset returns outside of return policy, accidental damages or loss within 90 days of purchase, and extended warranty coverage.

>buy xbone
>month into ownership, brother spills a little beer on included controller and x button on controller starts sticking
>call amex under accidental damage coverage (Free on purchases), ask for $65 (retail price + tax) to buy a new controller
>they refund the purchase price of the console ($430) without making me return the console to the retailer or them, via a statement credit
Paid for by the Amex Assurance Company. I wasn't expecting it but didn't complain.
>>
>>52120273
That's actually pretty awesome. I don't think I've ever met an unhappy amex client.
>>
>>52120273
Congrats, you now have your own clue report. Enjoy paying higher insurance premiums.
>>
Fuck TD. Bought a 850 EVO on black friday and it took 3 weeks for me to get it. Since I used Visa Checkout I couldn't even check the status of the order on their site for some dumb reason.
>>
>>52120388
Amex Assurance doesn't report to CLUE. I've made several claims since 2012 and I pull my CLUE report under the FACT Act on an annual basis.
>>
>>52120430
Bullshit.
>>
Americans in charge of consumer rights
>>
File: lel-auto.png (87 KB, 1134x1331) Image search: [Google]
lel-auto.png
87 KB, 1134x1331
>>52120674
You're a fucking moron. CLUE reports track personal property claims (renter's insurance, homeowner's insurance, etc.) and auto claims. They don't track extended warranty and accidental damage coverage claims made on credit card benefits.

Since you don't know what you're talking about, here is a copy of my clue report pulled today. Since 2012 I've claimed Amex on more than one cell phone (extended warranty), extended return policy (a small gadget I bought), and accidental damage3 on my Xbox one.

None of it is on my CLUE report.

(The "potentially related" claim on the auto is another family member claiming on their vehicle at the same address.)
>>
>>52121164
Looks like it depends on the underwriter then. Discover fucked my shit up.
>>
>>52121210
Was it coverage for a rental car accident?
Secondary rental accident coverage usually will hit CLUE; other types of claims (e.g. extended warranty on electronics) probably won't. It's up to the issuer on whether or not they want to report it. CLUE is oriented around homeowner/renter insurance claims and auto insurance claims.
>>
>>52120885
>Americans
>rights

ayyy
>>
>>52120344
I'm pretty pissed, they fuck you over A LOT in Canada. Ex, the $500 a year platinum card doesn't come with Any benefits like concierge or return protection etc. You're better off with a visa in this country
>>
>>52118842
Won't be missed. Their policy is because they got bought out by PCMall, not because they got scammed by the gooks.

>>52120241
True! CB'd Gathr (if anyone here remembers) because they locked me out of my account, preventing me from cancelling my subscription.

>>52119551
Tell us more, post proof or you're full of shit.
>>
Microcenter you plebs.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.