[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zuckerberg Internet for India
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: 1449458711679.jpg (919 KB, 3402x2220) Image search: [Google]
1449458711679.jpg
919 KB, 3402x2220
I did not where to go with this topic and Facebook is involved with Oculus so I figure that's close enough.
Apparently Zuckerberg's attempt to give free internet to the poor of India has been met with backlash because of the restrictions on content the service (Internet.org) puts. Officials in India think that this is a way to gate internet to poor people and take advantage of the lack of viable alternatives for the citizens.
Zuckerberg thinks that the Indians should be grateful for the possibility of internet at all and that the restrictions will be lifted over time by other companies and services.

SO what do y'all think?
>>
What exactly is restricted to them? Is it censorship of some kind? You know the jews love a good narrative control.

If he is artificially limiting where they can go I understand. However I would bet the officials are more pissed about the incoming social upheaval that all of this new information is about to cause an already on edge India.

Please no Indian spring, if poo in loo tries to migrate it will definitely be WW3 and the rise of nationalism for good or bad.
>>
It's not free arbitrary TCP/IP, it's zero rated cellular data for a select few services, one of which happens to be (quelle surprise) Facebook itself. It absolutely needs to be stopped. The regulators are doing their job. The way Facebook are sending emails on peoples behalf without their permission supporting it is creepy af too.
>>
>>52114415
Facebook's arguments are pretty dumb anyway. India already has very cheap cellular data. The amount of money Facebook has spent panicked trying to push this is pretty amazing desu.
>>
designated
>>
File: 1451036417754.jpg (180 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1451036417754.jpg
180 KB, 640x1136
>>52114342
I believe the main issue is that the internet service is restricted based on what Internet.org is willing to give out and that there is concern that the only way to get new content is to pay for other services instead of just having it all to consume.
>>52114415
Based on what i read, it seems like it should be stopped until much later when the people can have something to really say about the service instead of having to just take what they got.
>>52114444
>>52114400
Oh yes
>>
>give internet to indians
>redirect all requests to https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%B6%E0%A5%8C%E0%A4%9A%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B2%E0%A4%AF
>>
It's ridiculous, hes trying to destroy the internet by giving away access to a closed FB network to developing countries so they get used to using it instead of proper internet access and making it no longer viable for anyone to sell proper internet access.

Countries outside the USA should just ban FB, the company seems 100% malicious and untrustworthy,
>>
>>52114265
I think they should poo in the loo
>>
>>52114444
QUADDING
>>
I agree with the street shitters zuckernet needs to fuck off
>>
we have that shit in my country (inb4 >shithole)

AFAIU, internet.org gives "free" access to (apparently it's called "free basics"): facebook, whatsapp, twitter and some other sites (global, local, ...). desu, I don't know what to think
- on one hand, the service is "free", but of course the user is the product, and there is money involved from many sides, including the fact that you still have to pay for the phone services to get "free" "internet"
- OTOH, they give communications channels to lots of poor people, which can REALLY affect their lives in positive ways (or not, depends on them desu)...
IMO, the governments themselves (inb4 >muh freedum >muh democracy) should be doing this instead of private, foreigner, monopolic corporations.

btw, at least in my operator (Claro in latin america), you can bypass the filters relatively easily through a VPN and get free internet (you need a VPS or something, though)... but most people are retarded, so they won't get this anyway
>>
>>52114477
whos feet are those
>>
>>52115216
oh, btw, forgot to mention:
how is it restricted? you can use only, ONLY those sites. like, you can't open links, watch videos or use a search engine other than those of fb/whatsapp/etc. which is really sad and terrible... and, you know, it's not like fb is a good tool to teach people anything.
hell, if google was involved (inb4 >botnet), things could be a bit better, just because, perhaps, you would be able to watch educative videos on youtube.
>>
>>52114769
>Countries outside the USA should just ban FB, the company seems 100% malicious and untrustworthy,

As for someone inside the USA, completely agree. Julian Assange laid it out that companies like Google and FB are just extensions of US Gov't
>>
Only half the world's population has internet access. The scheme is obvious. Companies like FB want to make sure the remaining half will use their services so competitors can't rise.
>>
Its painfully obvious what zuckernigger's end goals are. Even the DESIGNATED SHITTING STREETS can see through that.
>>
Zuckerberg is proving to be an asshole time and time again. Facebook is literally evil.
>>
the funny thing about internet.org is that the cellphone providers compete against fb... yet they are the ones joining fb to be part of this.
>>
>>52115611
*mobile network operators..
>>
Does it include Wikipedia?
>>
>>52115216
wait, looks like internet.org is not the same thing we have here, hmmm....
>>
File: huh.gif (2 MB, 457x321) Image search: [Google]
huh.gif
2 MB, 457x321
>>52114265
He should buy toilets and drop them like nuclear bombs
They need that more than internet!
ffs
>>
bump for interesting/controversial topic
>>
>>52114265
Zuck is a slimy little fucker
>>
>>52115655
Man this movie was so fucking boss.
>>
POO IN LOO
>>
File: apockyclips.jpg (194 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
apockyclips.jpg
194 KB, 1162x850
>>52114342
>Widespread internet access allow the average Indian to learn that their lives are, in fact, total shit compared to literally everywhere else
>civil war
>500 million Indians flood into Europe
>>
File: 1607337.jpg (298 KB, 1113x688) Image search: [Google]
1607337.jpg
298 KB, 1113x688
>>52114265
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.