[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I ditched Ubuntu for Windows 10 and now I want to go back to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: gnulinux_logo.png (81 KB, 758x435) Image search: [Google]
gnulinux_logo.png
81 KB, 758x435
I ditched Ubuntu for Windows 10 and now I want to go back to GNU/Linux again I hate Windows, bloated PoS... to be fair, Ubuntu is bloated PoS too.

I'm thinking of going back to Xubuntu, any other ideas? Mint maybe? Just need it for a desktop PC, standard tasks, nothing special
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>52113993
I'd recommend arch if you're looking for something minimal and bloat free.
>>
Xubuntu is pretty legit
>>
Arch if you want something cutting edge. Debian if you want something a little more stable.
>>
>>52113993

Install Mint, remove their shitty firefox addons
>>
>>52113993
Install gentoo
>>
File: 4L_tww6JWci.jpg (205 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
4L_tww6JWci.jpg
205 KB, 1280x960
>>52113993
Try FreeBSD anon... There are other worlds beyond linux and windows
>>
not him, but thought another thread would be unnecessary:

Is there any distro that isn't complete shit? Here are ones I've tried:
>Arch: took forever to install and get running, and is incredibly unstable
>Chakra: Arch fork, works well but isn't well supported
>Ubuntu: bloated and ugly
>Xubuntu: comes with a deprecated Firefox that I couldn't update at all
>Mint: couldn't change my WM at all

All the while, across all of these distros, I'm following every single goddamned how-to exactly as its written and shit STILL doesn't work correctly because who the fuck knows. I'm holding out hope for Debian or Fedora.
>>
File: Ubuntu_Mate3.jpg (142 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu_Mate3.jpg
142 KB, 1024x768
>>52113993
You'll read a ton of Xubuntu shills. Don't believe them. Their experience comes from wikipedia and 4 minutes of youtube.

I have actually USED many GNULinux distros and I can tell you that by far the best one in the "juzt werks" category is Ubuntu MATE. It has way more functions than Xubuntu, works better out of the box, can be made "pretty" with a few steps thanks to MATE tweak, and it has the same (or less) RAM/CPU usage of XFCE that is quite lightweight already.

Check Ubuntu MATE m8, you won't regret it.
>>
>>52114466
OpenSUSE
>>
>>52114466
Debian is master race but if you had issues with xubuntu odds are you'll ragequit Debian. It's a CLI-based OS, and it's easy to break some features if you're not sure about what you're doing. You can fix them, but it usually takes time. The plus side is the OS itself just neves breaks, no matter what you do. You will get at least to a CLI even after the greatest of fuck-ups.

Fedora juzt werks, but it's not as stable and supported as the *buntus. Still, it's a good idea to try it yourself, maybe it will do what you need. Get KDE if your PC is fast enough, if not, go for MATE.
>>
>>52114552
MATE is based on GNOME 2 right? Not OP, but I just got through installing xubuntu on an old ass machine (core2duo 1.86ghz w/ dial channel 1gb ram)
>>
>>52114634
Yes, it's a GNOME2 fork. Actively developed too (more than XFCE). Even the most bloated MATE installs rarely use over 500 MB of RAM so it should run nicely on 1GB.
>>
>>52114670
Well, shit. Now I have to go download Ubuntu MATE and do yet another install.

Shit has Windows XP on dual boot too. Shouldn't be a problem just overwriting the XFCE install correct?
>>
>>52114698
I've done that before and I've had no issues, but I usually format the partition I'll use for the new OS before install. Just take your time and read carefully while installing. If you're not sure about a step, investigate before making a decision.
>>
I'd say go with arch.

I almost threw my mouse through the window because I was laddering in lotv and a god damn windows updated to restart took over the screen.

How do blizzard games run on wine?
>>
>>52114726
Not my first time doing reinstalls n shit. Just a friend of mine's mom expected this thing to run Win7 with no issues. Considering it has XP on it, I highly doubt 7 will run. So I put Linux on the side so she can see if it is useful for her Facebook needs. MATE is definitely better though. I always liked GNOME 2 better than XFCE
>>
>>52113993
Red Star
>>
>>52114729
My old roommate used to play WoW on Arch via wine. It worked okay, just lost an average of like 10 FPS vs running it on Windows using the same settings.
>>
>>52114287
>Arch if you want something cutting edge. Debian if you want something a little more stable.
>debian
>stable
>>
>>52114978
Debian IS the most stable distro. The problem is, because of that, it's incompatible with A LOT of software and hardware.
>>
>>52114572
>>52114628
Will give these a shot, much appreciated
>>
If you're serious about moving up to actual UNIX then I would suggest giving FreeBSD a go.
>>
File: !.png (52 KB, 359x376) Image search: [Google]
!.png
52 KB, 359x376
>>52115132
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.2.0-live+nonfree/amd64/
Just in case you're using non-free hardware. Also read up on a lot of the basic "sudo" info. It's pretty simple. If you want to use the sudo command log in as root and "adduser yourusername sudo"
>>
>>52113993
>>52114238
if you want user friendly with arch, try manjaro
>>
>>52116694
http://archive.is/JeOLo
http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/

Sure, shilly.
>>
>>52114466
>incredibly unstable
THEN DON'T USE YOUR FUCKING TESTING REPO YOU DONKEY
>>
>>52113993
Try windows 7 enterprise
>>
Dont listen to autists.
Just install ubuntu minimal and config all my yourself
>>
File: 1448889529752.jpg (314 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1448889529752.jpg
314 KB, 1920x1200
>>52113993
>Ditched Ubuntu for Windows 10
What, do you hate GNU/Freedom?
>>
>>52113993

>bloated

How shit is your computer that a few behind-the-scene apps noticeably slow it down?

Maybe upgrade before making yourself seem a faggot.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.