[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone experience with Intel engineering samples?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: $_20.jpg (31 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
$_20.jpg
31 KB, 800x450
Hey /g/

I have the chance to buy an i7 5820k engineering sample for 300,- Euros quit, which is arround 100-150 bucks below the retail price of a new 5820k in my country.

Now I read that these things undergo heavy testing and load and can have pre producation faults. I'm basing my new rig on that CPU, so it would be shitty, if it had any features disabled or doesn't run properly.

Also, no warranty. Not that i would have gotten any for a 5820k for 300 bucks, but I could even get legal problems if Intel catches my having one.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?
(pic is the CPU spoken off)
>>
I've never seen one with disabled features but they almost always get the holy hell beat out of them. It's just a gamble if you get one that still has some life left in it.
>>
>>52112711

>you get in trouble for having it and not the person who is selling the damn thing

Intel everyone
>>
Nah not worth it. Haswell chips are really sensitive to the cache voltage and cache voltage over 1.35v will significantly degrade the processor and sometimes even killing it. It might work now but down the line you might encounter random freezes and crashes.

You can Google hwbot max cache voltage and read for yourself.
>>
>>52112861
haters of progress
>>
>>52112711
Sometimes they're better than the actual chip, sometimes they're worse.

Some have more features, some have less.

FYI, they're "illegal" to sell/buy, but Intel doesn't care most of the time anymore.
>>
I had an ES c2q a few years ago.
It worked fine.
>>
OP here,according to the seller it works fine.
Still I'm not convinced, though it would be a great deal.
>>
Very unlikely Intel will care. Generally engineering samples come from a dumpster in some shithole country like China and they get sold in a makeshift stand like across the street. Sometimes they come from employees of the company who just take them home as a souvenir when they would otherwise be thrown away.
>>
>>52112711
Reported the serial number to the police and Intel.. This is STOLEN property.. The guy selling it is fucked.
>>
>>52112711
>shady transaction
I wouldn't
>>
>>52113064
Walk away then. The fact that they're selling one is kinda shady itself
>>
>>52112711
Should just buy a new one if your entire system/rig depends on it atleast you'll have warranty if it's a DOA
>>
why the fuck would you buy a cpu for a dead socket?
>>
>>52113132
Good goy!
>>
>>52112918
I looked up AMD engineering samples to see how AMD deals with them. It seems AMD doesn't really seem to care about them as long as they're not being passed off as official and sold for profit like in OP's case. I assume Intel would have a similar policy considering these things are so common and hard to keep track off. That seems pretty reasonable.
>>
>>52112711
My uncle works for Dell so I get free laptops with engineering samples all the time.

They're shit. You're lucky if Intel's own drivers recognize their IDs so it's hard to update them sometimes.
>>
>>52114359
Do you have a collection of them?
>>
>>52114555
>555
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!!!!!
>>
>>52114018
Dead socket ?
Are you mentally ill ? Broadwell-E is coming next year on 2011-3 and it will absolutely obliterate everything.

You obviously know nothing about Intel's HEDT
>This is /g/ after all
>>
300€? That's it? op u dumb fuck you could have gotten a brand new 5820K for that price the past 30 days or so...
At least check ebay or smth cause I would like to remind you that "engineering samples" cannot be sold (contract) and remain the property of Intel.
You should report the seller.
>>
>>52114677
What? Where? Dude I'll happily admit I'm a faggot and dumb fuck, if you show me the place where you can buy brand new 5820K's for 300 euros with a valid warranty and no insane shipping costs to germany. In the US it's super cheap, yeah, but not in Europe.

Seriously though, i'll gift the guy a steam game, that shows me that shop. These things sell 400 bucks minimum as of now, since the import costs seem to be so fucking high.

>>52113132
If you really did that, that was unecessary as fuck. I already told the guy that he could get in serious trouble for selling these things online and he has a good ebay rep, so I suppose he just didn't know. Wow, some people are real fucktards.
>>
>>52114902
Nigga you what I live in France amazon.fr used (as I said the past 30 days, espicially on Cyber Week) to stock 5820K at 320€

Come on you're in Germany, with France it's where you have the lowest prices you ain't trying enough.
I snapped a b r a n d new 5930K for €460 on cyberweek at rueducommerce.com
>>
>>52112711
I have quite a few ES CPUs. My most recent acquisition is an E7-4870 Xeon. They tend to work pretty well and have unlocked features that retail CPUs don't have. The biggest problem is driver software not recognizing their ID's. It's not that big of a problem in reality.
>>
>>52115127
how much did you pay for the E7
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.