[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ on suicide watch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: php7-infographic.jpg (28 KB, 688x385) Image search: [Google]
php7-infographic.jpg
28 KB, 688x385
>he still refuses to switch to PHP
>>
Is habbedig?!!!!
>>
>>52108212

but PHP scored the lowest
>>
Fuck yeah, sticking with PHP was worth it. Thanks Facebook.
>>
>>52108212
Thank god I never learned anything else.
>>
I just like the perl mascot at this point, honestly.
>>
File: 1412978761802.jpg (55 KB, 257x257) Image search: [Google]
1412978761802.jpg
55 KB, 257x257
>>52108247
>>
>>52108212

dynamic languages ie all shit :^)
>>
>>52108252
facebook converts their php code to c++ beforehand i heard
>>
>>52108212
>Python 2.7
>Ruby 2.1

nice meme
>>
Thank the gods that most EM numerical simulations are written in PHP. What the fuck would we do without it? 'C' is dead.
>>
>>52108212
No article provided.

No runtime information provided.

No implementation details provided.

You get 0 out of 10 jimmies rustled.
>>
>>52108917
:^)
>>
>>52108212
>Python 2.7
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
>>
>>52108788
Facebook contributed a lot to PHP and created Hack, which in return influenced PHP7.
>>
>>52108788
Some stuff yes, they also run mostly on RAM and have streamlined/specialized OSs on their systems
>>
>>52108917
Well I don't mind getting 0 of you 10 rustled jimmies, stay mad python fag
>>
Who the fuck uses a dynamic programming language if they're worried about speed?

Dynamic programming languages are used so that you can quickly and easily write code.

This benefit goes away when you use poorly designed languages like PHP or JavaScript. It's not that they're fast or slow. They're just bad to write in.

If I'm worried about speed I'd use C or C++
>>
File: kek.jpg (72 KB, 838x598) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
72 KB, 838x598
>>52110045
>C or C++
>Web dev
>>
File: IMAG0369.jpg (123 KB, 1076x1077) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0369.jpg
123 KB, 1076x1077
>>52108247
>>
>>52110159
> actually doing web dev
>>
>>52110849
>bitching web dev and posting on a Taiwanese painting scans sharing web board
>>
>>52108212
perl is just pure, outdated, ancient shit.
ruby and python are not quite as shitty, but still decently shitty. also autistic.
php is somewhat shitty, but laravel is the best web framework out there.
>>
Only Lisp did dynamic types right. Into the trash goes everything else.
> muh prototypes, muh dictionary "objects"
>>
File: Untitled.png (27 KB, 771x246) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27 KB, 771x246
>>52111165
fucking kill yourself
>>
I'm not a web developer. I may dabble in web development, but it's just not my thing. Of those four languages listed, the only one I use is Ruby, and the majority of the time, it's not for web development, but general purpose programming. I have used PHP before -- for web development, even -- and it was painful by comparison.

Also, why does your list use Python 2.7 instead of Python 3.4, and why isn't Node.JS listed alongside these? Not that JavaScript is a particularly decent language, but it's better than PHP.
>>
I use php cause I do a lot of Web data management. Like scraping websites for prices, importing tracking numbers from drop ship vendors, exporting and importing large quantities of product information, etc.

What language could possibly be better for this? People laugh when I tell them I use php.
>>
>ruby faster than python
python shitters BTFO
>>
>>52111383
what's your problem?
>>
>>52108212
>compare old versions of Ruby and Python with bleeding edge PHP

kek
>>
>>52111618
>web artisans
>>
>>52111646
so what? who cares?
still the best framework.
>>
>>52111571
PHP got a nad name from its earlier days but it's not to shabby now. If you can write programs quick than stick with it. If you want to expand your knowledge learn other languages.
>>
>>52111675
faggot
>>
>>52110159
It's possible.
wakaba.dhcp.io
>>
>>52108856
C is not dead you high level code monkey
>>
File: tipfedora.png (637 KB, 800x816) Image search: [Google]
tipfedora.png
637 KB, 800x816
>>52112529
>.io
>>
>>52112626
Got a better free domain that isn't OpenNIC?
>>
>>52112626
what the fuck do you even mean by this
>>
Ruby and Python allow for rapid development of applications. So if you're paying developers to develop applications for you, it's better if they use a language like Ruby or Python over a poorly-designed language like PHP, since it means that you can spend the money saved not paying them to waste time developing applications in PHP on better hardware. If you're writing web apps solo, then Ruby and Python are still the best choices because they're much, much better languages than PHP, and you'll thank yourself for using languages that are actually well-designed over an awful clusterfuck.

Nobody uses Perl anymore, so it's irrelevant.
>>
>>52112567
hardware engineer to you codemonkey. I was being sarcastic. I prefer 'C' myself.
>>
>>52112770
I'm tired of hearing this.
Ruby, Python, PHP are just tools... they have all the necessary means to get the job done.

GitHub is written in Ruby

Reddit is written in Python

Wikipedia is written in PHP
>>
File: sven.png (333 KB, 579x568) Image search: [Google]
sven.png
333 KB, 579x568
>>52112905
>not understand the thread is about performance
>>
>>52112905
Nobody is implying that they're not tools. But as someone who's used all three professionally, Ruby and Python are clearly much better-designed tools than PHP, and are much more comfortable to work with. I seriously see no reason to use PHP, it's just a mess of a language with pretty much no redeeming qualities at all
>>
>>52112937
>not understand a english language of to speakings it
>>
>>52112945
> it's just a mess of a language
Okay, go ahead. Other than the in-built functions and their weird naming conventions (which were made to be synonymous with other languages, and are kept for reasons of backward compatibility), why is it a mess?
>>
>>52113028
>GUYS STOP EVERYTHING SOMEONE MADE A TYPO
You are cordially invited to terminate your life you piece of faggot shit
>>
If I didn't have to put a $ in front of the variables, l would love to use PHP.
>>
>>52113318
you get used to it
>>
>>52108212
>"switching" to another language

All programming languages work roughly the same way. Why not just learn another one?
>>
>>52113318
$ is actually quite useful, you spot variables in your code much more easily
>>
>>52112794
>prefereing 'C'
>not FORTRAN
>>
>>52113500
Syntax highlighting exists for a reason
>>
>>52113029
>"1" + 1 is evaluated as 2
>no typesafe version of < or >
>shitty OO syntax, accessing object attributes requires two 3 keystrokes ("->")
>no distinction between arrays and hashes
>shitty, inconsistent function names
>inconsistent argument orders (i.e., strpos($haystack, $needle) vs. array_search($needle, $haystack))
>>
>yfw C# (and likely Java too) are around 1000 times faster
If speed is your issue, why are you using an interpreted language? Okay, C# is still somewhat interpreted, but its still a lot faster and doesn't require C++ or fastcgi foolery.
>>
I just came
>>
>>52113500
The concerning part of this post is that you're being serious.
>>
>>52113643
>"1" + 1 is evaluated as 2
Use the string concatenation operator ".", it's what it's there for.
>accessing object attributes requires two 3 keystrokes ("->")
OH NO, ANYTHING BUT THAT
Phpstorm evaluates - to -> as it detects an object, btw...
>no distinction between arrays and hashes
Yeah, that's kinda true, but use the SPL if you want a proper hashmap.
>shitty, inconsistent function names
Agreed, but it's due to backward compatibility. Doing some cleanup would create a fiasco. Frameworks abstract this.
>inconsistent argument orders
see above
>>
no lua in the chart
how convenient
>>
>>52113643
I like PHP and I agree, that's how honest and free I am.
>>
>>52108212
C++ is faster than all of them
I'd never use anything else
Everything except C++ is shit tier
Except C and ASM for system things
But for everything else C++ is superb
>>
>>52113835
Yes, PHP makes you free
Join the movement people, be free
Be PHP
>>
>>52113803
>Use the string concatenation operator ".", it's what it's there for.
Irrelevant. Why does PHP treat certain strings as integers? Seems like a way to open your program to all kinds of unintended behavior.
>Phpstorm evaluates - to -> as it detects an object, btw...
Sure, let's limit ourselves to using one IDE to excuse the fact that PHP has shitty, uncomfortable OOP syntax
>Yeah, that's kinda true, but use the SPL if you want a proper hashmap.
Or just use a language with properly implemented data structures to begin with
>Agreed, but it's due to backward compatibility. Doing some cleanup would create a fiasco. Frameworks abstract this.
This doesn't change the fact that PHP is poorly designed and that other languages don't suffer from this problem (at least, not nearly to the same extent)
>>
>>52113891
>Irrelevant. Why does PHP treat certain strings as integers?
Because you're using +, dude. + is an addition operator. "." is a concatenation operator. PHP is a dynamic typing language, this is not news.
>Sure, let's limit ourselves to using one IDE to excuse the fact that PHP has shitty, uncomfortable OOP syntax
The real issue here is that you're bitching about using ->, the same thing C++ uses for it's pointers to classes. It's really not an issue.
>Or just use a language with properly implemented data structures to begin with
OR, use the SPL, because the SPL is a part of PHP and has neat data structures you can use:
http://php.net/manual/en/book.spl.php
It's there - USE IT if you need it. You can't complain about it not being there if it's there!
>This doesn't change the fact that PHP is poorly designed
The language isn't really poorly designed, it's in-built function naming convention is. It started off that way because PHP was supposed to be a wrapper for various C and Perl functions, thus you have weirdly named functions. This will change as time passes, and, like I said, frameworks abstract this.

I do agree PHP has it's quirks, and that it didn't start up as a fantastically designed gem, and that it has weird functions in it... but in 2015-2016, treating it like it's an non-functioning shitty language is the same as putting on a fedora, wearing a japanese t-shirt and wielding a katana. You're just being euphoric about your current language of choice.

I personally use C# for diddling around, also C for dicking with Arudino, and C++ for fucking with the Win32 API... but PHP and JS currently pay the bills, and let me tell ya, PHPs weird functions are the very least things that slow me down.
>>
>>52113554
>he doesn't write his code in notepad
>>
>>52111675
its actually not
>>
>>52113028
god, go back to reddit already
>>
>>52108212
Now match PHP up against compiled common lisp with
(declaim (optimize (speed 3) (safety 0)))

[spoiler]php will get fucking curbstomped[/spoiler]
>>
>>52114083
>Because you're using +, dude. + is an addition operator. "." is a concatenation operator. PHP is a dynamic typing language, this is not news.
So is every other language listed here, but others will not treat strings as fucking integers/floats, as it is just terrible practice if you do this anyway. A language shouldn't actively encourage shitty programming practices, but what can you expect out of something that originally enabled register globals by default? lmao

>The real issue here is that you're bitching about using ->, the same thing C++ uses for it's pointers to classes. It's really not an issue.
If I'm going to be working with a language every day, I'd rather use a simple '.' to access class fields, which is what Java, Ruby, and Python use. It's much easier to type thousands of '.'s vs. '->'.
>OR, use the SPL, because the SPL is a part of PHP and has neat data structures you can use
So why use things like "fixed arrays" alongside other data structures like "regular" arrays? Why not just have arrays function as actual arrays in the first place? Sort of like how it has both mysql_escape_string and mysql_real_escape_string. When now both are useless because using PDO for mysql queries is now considered the best practice anyway
>I do agree PHP has it's quirks, and that it didn't start up as a fantastically designed gem, and that it has weird functions in it... but in 2015-2016, treating it like it's an non-functioning shitty language is the same as putting on a fedora, wearing a japanese t-shirt and wielding a katana. You're just being euphoric about your current language of choice.
I'm not saying that PHP is non-functioning, just that it's not as well-designed, and we haven't even gotten into the features that these languages have which PHP lacks. If you're starting a new project, or if you have any agency over which language your workplace's new project uses, there's no reason to pick PHP over either of these languages. Why use PHP over Python/Ruby?
>>
>>52114378
>there's no reason to pick PHP over either of these languages
How about speed? Library availability? CMS availability? Good documentation? Ease of use? 3rd party support? Availability of shared hosting? Scales well? Awesome integration with many web servers?
>>
>>52114535
Python has pretty amazing library/3rd party support, in my experience. Ruby's isn't quite as good, but it's still good for developing web applications. Rails is a nice framework that I actually have fun working with.
>Good documentation?
Never had a problem with the documentation of Ruby/Python. Everything you need to use them is readily available.
>Scales well?
Depends on the developer. A good developer can design scalable applications in any of these languages. One who designs unscalable applications in PHP probably can't design one using Flask either.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.