[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Information Technolo/g/y Careers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1451259044456.jpg (55 KB, 438x583) Image search: [Google]
1451259044456.jpg
55 KB, 438x583
Is IT/SRA a bad thing to major now? I hear people say that it's saturated and that it's a great thing to go into depending on where you work. Who is correct?
>>
Well IT tends to have a lower ceiling than many CS jobs. Whats SRA?
>>
>>52106571
become a hooker. better hours, better pay.

you can also deal meth on the side
>>
On a secondary note, according the bureau of labor statistics, IT is growing a much faster rate than programming jobs are.

Example: computer systems analyst (what i will be doing soon, im an IT/bus. Minor student) has expected growth of 20% or so over the next 10 years or so

Computer programmers recently changed projections from 8% growth to NEGATIVE 8% GROWTH (decline) over the next 10 years or so

Take that how you will

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/mobile/home.htm
>>
The only things projecting growth in CS is architects, researchers, info sec, and web devs.
>>
>>52106571
who's this saemon daemon
>>
>>52107318
security/risk analysis
>>
>>52107433
info sec is SRA
>>
>>52107438
some underage whore you fucking faggot who the fuck knows or actually cares
>>
>>52108540
spotted the neofaggot
>>
>>52106571
>Is IT/SRA a bad thing to major now?
There is the shitty answer of "it depends".

Start with the following questions, apply a high level a cynicism and then don't go to a school that leaves you in doubt.

Is your school reputable?

If they have a SRA/infosec/computer "security" major and it isn't on the NSA's list of "centers of excellence" then the answer is no. That degree is the school milking people who are just smart enough to read a headline about cyber being SO hot right now!
https://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/

UK has their equivalent and a similar list.

You can do a google search for which IT degrees are worth it. If you can't google you probably can't do helpdesk, which is where you can realistically be with a 4 year degree.

Will the school get you internships?

If the school doesn't have a program to place you in them you have to go find them. Not that this makes it harder.

What is the plan of study/requirements for degree?

If it doesn't have lin alg, calc 4... You aren't getting a STEM degree I'm sorry.

What department is IT in?

if IT falls under the school of business...
You are training to be a manager. It doesn't determine your fate but realize that is what they are trying to teach you for.
>>
>>52106571
saturated, and if you don't already have 15 years of experience and multiple publications, then you can just get fired for incompetence when i, or someone like me comes and audits your work
>>
>>52110110
How do I into auditing?
>>
>>52110069
Interesting, my IT program is not specialized per se. Its a blend of basic CS principles, some programming, and the general IT stuff. I find most of what i learn is on my own outside of school, anyhow (gotta play the game though, right?)

On the flip side though, its one of very few programs to be accredited by the ABET as an IT program (ABET only recently started doing this) and the degree comes out of the school of computing and engineering. Also doing a bussiness minor at the business school.

Bottom line is its who you know, and how personable you are. Ive freelanced in web dev, and will do IT consulting pretty soon for breddy good pay through a connection i made. Also did an internship over the summer.

There is still a lot of moolah in IT
>>
I was going to start a new thread but I figured I would post here.

I just graduated with a bachelor's degree in computer networks & security. I am kind of at that point where I don't know what to do aside from applying for jobs I find on places like indeed.com.

For the mean time, I'm enjoying a little bit of a break but I really want to find a job. I currently work a computer repair job and i previously worked a consultant IT job doing lower-level work, so I still have something to do in the mean time.

I guess I just don't really know where to go from here. I was thinking about getting at least a certification or two but which ones are somewhat worth it? I was thinking starting with sec+ just to get a quick and easy one under my belt then studying for the CCNA.

What kind of jobs should I be looking out for? I will do anything security/sysadmin/netadmin related so anything relating to those fields?

Obviously, I don't know everything yet but I am willing to work my way up and I never want to stop learning.
>>
>>52110069
>Is your school reputable?
My program (Penn State) is on the NSA list of excellence... phew.

>Will the school get you internships?
They apparently make you take internships every summer.

>If it doesn't have lin alg, calc 4... You aren't getting a STEM degree I'm sorry.
oshit

>What department is IT in?
It's in it's own information technology college
>>
>>52110069
>>52112640

My school was on that list that I just graduated from and I applied to the NSA, but I know that the process basically takes forever.
>>
bumping forp ls help
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.