[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MOUSE DPI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: Beetle_Exosceleton.jpg (276 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Beetle_Exosceleton.jpg
276 KB, 1600x900
Alright goys, lets put this discussion to rest once and for all.
I know that "pros" like to use extremely low dpi settings like 400 and 800 but I have tried this and its so fucking slow.
:
1. You tire more easily (inb4 hurr durr fatty can't move mouse, no its just more work for nothing
2. Need more time to do a movement compared to higher dpi setting. In an fps setting for example, the other guy has aimed at your head and is firing at you by the time you aim at him. Of course there are things that can be done like preaiming but still this is a disadvantage.
The only actual argument for low dpi is more precision, but really precision can be learned at a higher dpi as well, I'm not saying something insane but higher than 400-800 definitely
The 400-800 dpi meme needs to die /g/. Thoughts? What would you reccomend for a dpi setting and why? Let's say 1080p
>>
>>>/v/

But the reason they use low DPIs is they want their first shot to hit, even if it's a little slower.
>>
>>52100511
>mice
>not technology

eat my Fucking SHIT SENPAI
>>
Amazing post, OP.
It really contributes to the overall quality of the board.
>>
>>52100538
FUCK YOU IT'S A FOOD DISCUSSION YOU FUCKING QUEEN NIGGA PIECE OF SHIT
>>
>>52100488
Pros do not use low CPI settings unless they have been using it that way since ball mice were a thing, alas out of habit.
Using MarkC mouse fix, I use my G502 at 3000 CPI with a 1-to-1 translation into pixels moved, which means 2.2cm to cover the span of my WQHD display. Any less, and I have to move my arm too, instead of just moving the wrist, which leads to slower reaction times and lower accuracy.
>>
>>52100488
I use 400 dpi

Triggered?
>>
>>52101344
Not triggered, just looking for a rationale for such.
>>52101313
I also have a g502, do you know what's the native dpi of the sensor?
>>
ITT noone plays cs
>>
>>52100488
You have some good points: it's more work and precision van be learned at any dpi. My only two cents is that in a competitive fps like csgo, pros use low dpi because 1) it's easier to hold the crosshairs steady, and subsequently 2) they already know where to aim. They pre-aim; they know exactly where the crosshair should be when turning a wall, and every corner where the head will be. It's not CoD where you need twitch controls, these guys have muscle memory for where everything will be, and need to move less, and low dpi helps keep them steady for that.
>>
>>52100603
Great thread, OP. You will be promoted to 'extreme gamer' in no time.
>>
>>52101368
The software allows settings of up to 12000 CPI.

Some info I found on google:
>Despite being an optical sensor, it has a max DPI of 12.000 and it is said that every DPI step is native (attained without interpolation).
>>
I used 2100 dpi on the razer software with my razer mouse, good for playing game like osu
>>
>>52100488
You adjust dpi to your screen resolution dumbfuck so you have 1:1 ratio to avoid pixel skipping.
So called pros are more retarded than the average /g/ poster.
>>
>>52100488
>The only actual argument for low dpi is more precision, but really precision can be learned at a higher dpi as well
nope

couple things: most mice function best at 400/800/1600 cpi, it depends on the mouse but for most it's one those values
cpi setting alone doesn't mean much other than if you choose a non-native step or one where the mouse starts jittering or whatever. important is cpi in combination with in game sensitivity (windows one should always be 6/11)
from there you set the in game sensitivity to whatever you think is the most comfortable (while still being what people would consider really slow) because it gives you a lot more control over your precision
to give you some averages, most fps pros use between 25 and 30cm/360 (full 360 turn in game), few use less, some use more but that's about the average

of course this only applies to fps games because people playing other games shouldn't give a shit about pixel precision

and even more so this only applies to in game usage; using low cpi on the desktop (especially at high resolutions) is just plain stupid and a waste of energy. best case would be buying a second mouse or having a mouse with cpi steps

>>52101313
fps players absolutely do
it's physically impossible to move a mouse (even close to) one pixel at 3000cpi
>>
>>52101756
>spinner at 1200 dpi
>1600-2200 can't make the jump
>switch to 2400 dpi
>pointer accelerates faster than a Lamborghini
>breaks both the sound barrier and my combo
Quite possibly the only game to make me fall for the gayming mouse maymay, I hate it so goddamn much but I can't stop playing it.
>>
>>52103636
I REALLY hope that was shitty bait.

Windows has built-in mouse acceleration, and your cursor moves at a different speet all the time because of it. The only way to get true 1:1 ratio is installing MarkC mouse fix, AND using the proper Windows settings.
>>
>>52104001
>i dont know how to turn off mouse acceleration from the registry.
I really hope you are not this retarded.
>>
>>52103981
>it's physically impossible to move a mouse (even close to) one pixel at 3000cpi

That's only true if you have a terrible mousepad. I can easily move the mouse pixel by pixel on my Shidenkai XSoft.
>>
>>52104022
Like I care about editing keys manually when I can just add a .reg file.
>>
>>52104084
k
>>
>>52104052
according to your post you need 22mm to traverse 2560 pixels on your screen. that's ~116 pixels per millimeter
one pixel would be 8.6 micrometers
>>
>>52104123
I have to focus a lot on the movement, so I can't do it when timing matters. But I can move my mouse pixel precise when I've got the time.
>>
>>52100505
Lightning, is it you?
>>
>>52100488
High DPI
Low software sensitivity

Next question.
>>
>>52100488
if we are talking about counter strike >>52101428
is right
also low dpi (and sensitivity) allows accurate recoil compensation
>>
File: 1444199609425.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1444199609425.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>52100488
>>
>>52104202
If you need reference, 8.6 micrometers is the length of your boyfriend's penis. It's not very big at all.
>>
>>52100488
>Need more time to do a movement compared to higher dpi setting. In an fps setting for example, the other guy has aimed at your head and is firing at you by the time you aim at him.

No, low sensitivity player players use a lot of flick movements. I am no pro on cs:go but I can flick to a player pretty easily, meanwhile the other guy is spraying around me because he can't control his shit with 2000dpi. Pro awpers flick shot almost . low sens doesn't make you , just more accurate.
>>
>>52105814
>>52105814
*almost instantly. Low sensitivity doesn't make you slower, just more accurate. It is more tiring though.

My text got up for some reason.
>>
550 dpi 1.7 ingame sens 6/11 windows

Professional csgo player.
Guess who i am.
>>
>>52100488
The only benefit is somewhat higher accuracy, but it's not important unless you're gaming and even then only in certain cases. I'm using 3200DPI for everyday use and after getting used I appreciate it very much due to not having to move the mouse very much at all.
>>
>>52104202
Perhaps you don't understand
8.6 micrometers is roughly the length of a single bacterium

It's physically impossible to make such precise movements
>>
>getting tired by moving your mouse
HAHA OH WOW
lose some weight fatty
1000 DPI here
>>
It's quite funny how acceleration is often called "Enhance pointer precision" in options.

Used to play at 2000+ dpi (it was just when I was beginning to play games that require some precision), switched soon to 1000 dpi and then to 800. Considering switching to some lower dpi, but I'm close to the minimum dpi at which I can flick across the screen without getting my wrist into uncomfortable position (1280x1024 display btw). I'm wondering about buying a Wacom tablet and modding the pen into a mouse as often after flicking a lot all around the screen my mouse will be offset compared to the initial postion. It might be a little tricky though since when moving mouse you use polar coordiantes (angle of your wrist + the distance) and tablets use cartesian coordinates. Hmm.
>>
>>52100488
hurr durr fatty can't move mouse
>>
1800 with no acceleration. It's the middle of the road for me where its sensitive but not cancerous 5600 with 10 acceleration level sensitive.
>>
>>52106101
No, it's not. Need me to prove it to you?

I use my pinky as a 'sensor' to sense my movements on the pad. Your finger can feel things as small as a micrometre.

Btw,
>Bacterial cells are about one-tenth the size of eukaryotic cells and are typically 0.5–5.0 micrometres in length.

>The study marks the first time that scientists have quantified how people feel, in terms of a physical property. One of the authors, Mark Rutland, Professor of Surface Chemistry, says that the human finger can discriminate between surfaces patterned with ridges as small as 13 nanometres in amplitude and non-patterned surfaces.
>>
>>52107642
>Feel is the same as movement

Also where's your source nigger?
>>
>>52107687
You can move as accurate as you can feel.
Paste the quote in google if you need the source. Cba linking websites here.
>>
I run about 1800 DPI. I have no fucking clue how people can stand anything less than maybe 1200 on a 1080p or higher screen.
>>
>>52105495
This. Put your cs sens to the minimum using console. Or whatever feels nice and do your AxB math.
>>
>>52100488
It's smoother/more precise, dipshit

Dots per inch is how much pixels it jumps right? The less it reads the more precise it is. Hints the reason why it's slow.
>>
>>52108392
The opposite. Lower CPI means it skips readings.
>>
>>52108608
mfw /g/tards believe this shit
>>
>>52103982
Drawing tablet
>>
What is the best dpi for someone playing on a 1356 x 768 screen? I know that it's a matter of personal preference, but how can I set an optimal mouse dpi based on the size of my screen?
>>
>>52109365
whatever you feel most comfortable with if you don't play games competitively
>>
>>52105935
A faggot posting on /g/ ?
>>
>>52109379
Ok, but what about my second question?
>>
>>52109365
400 DPI is generally good for low rez
Multiply ingame senz by DPI, for games like csgo, aim for about 1000-1300
>>
>>52109365
>>52110308
Also just experiment like fuck

Aim for being able to turn 180 degrees in game for fps's without having to lift the mouse when using the full space of a regular size mousepad
>>
>>52110308
So if I have 800 dpi, should I set in-game sens at 1.7? The result would be close to 1356 in my case
>>
>>52110370
I usually set my sens so that I can turn 180 degrees by moving my mouse in one half of the mousepad (from the center to the right edge) . Is it too high sens? By your reasoning, I should set my sens to the point where I can turn 90 degrees by moving the mouse in one half of the mousepad.
>>
>>52110451
it really does come down to personal preference, I use 600 DPI at 1.6 for a total of 1000

Play around in an offline practice map such as the aim training one on workshop and slowly change sensitivity through console until you find your preferred setting
>>
>>52110066
Move your arm faster you fat faggot. Get a mouse mat. Lrn2precision
>>
>>52110451
This is what I do, but my mouse pad is 14" long. This is probably the best if you can get used to it. In retarded games like tf2 where shit can go everywhere quickly it might not be the best, but in something like csgo where you're probably only aiming forward and occasionally checking behind you, peaking, etc. I would say it's ideal. If you're a casual player then I would just make adjustments to your comfort
>>
File: 1450965411090.png (167 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
1450965411090.png
167 KB, 256x384
>>52100488
800dpi with standard Windows settings, disabled enhanced precision and usually 2/3 - 1/2 the default sensitivity in games (1080p screen). A bit higher than your average memestrike player 30cm/360 but I have a setting that most people I know like and try to copy for themselves. First off to eliminate some old myths:

1. Lower sens does not make you less responsive. Its bullshit made for people who dont want to make efforts when getting better at aiming as an excuse to be lazy with super high dpi.
2. Lower sens will grant you higher accuracy 100% of the time. the fact that you can aim with high dpi as well as with low dpi Is bullshit made for the same reason as above.

>waaah low sens is so uncomfortable and I cant aim so I just use 2 fucking thousand dpi and make a 180* in 3cm and never know any better because the accuracy ceiling for high sens is very lower than for low sens. High sens works just fine, with training you can get as good as low sens

When someone who is not familiar with games happens to use my system I usually get 'what low sens you got anon, I cant aim', and while most of my friends started the exact same way, they all gradually decreased their sensitivity settings throughout the years.

And no, its not uncomfortable to use in desktop mode, although I have sens steps for normies up to 1200dpi (which I still find better for games like audiosurf that only require speed and punish low endurance, 1000 on osu)
>>
>>52100488
>precision can be learned at a higher dpi as well
That is a flawed argument. The higher the DPI, the lower the best possible precision you can learn.
That's why it doesn't matter for the average player but is crucial for the top players, which are at the ceiling of precision learning.
>>
>>52107822
This. 1500 DPI on a 1080p screen. I have 2 1080p screens though.
>>
>>52100488
First off past a certain point the mouse sensor simply can't increase CPI without interpolation which leads to poor, uneven tracking due to lowered SNR. I can't tell you the maximum native resolution of the sensors used in gaming mice but it's often well below 1000 CPI.

Secondly, CPI itself tells absolutely nothing about the sensitivity of the mouse on screen as it's always a combination of the actual physical resolution of the sensor as well as the software. Saying "I use 4000 cpi" could mean you do a 360 in 2cm or that you do it in 40cm as you are only reporting one part of the total sensitivity there.

Ideal would be to use the native sensitivity of the sensor and put the software sensitivity as low as possible.

I play on 800 CPI using whatever settings I feel comfortable with in games. Windows sens is 6/11 and I've removed the acceleration with a registry fix. I mostly play Tribes Ass End and I do a 360 in 60cm. I have a large mousepad and need to swing the mouse a lot and fast on it to follow targets but what I get for that is precision.
>>
>>52111688
>lowered SNR
Obviously I meant higher SNR.
>>
>>52101676
That's impossible. Like actually physically impossible to create an optical system with a resolution that massive with any tech available today.
>>
>>52107642
>Btw,
>>Bacterial cells are about one-tenth the size of eukaryotic cells and are typically 0.5–5.0 micrometres in length.

>8.6 micrometers is roughly the length of a single bacterium

>Roughly:
>1) approximately but not exactly

Don't see any problem here.

>the human finger can discriminate between surfaces patterned with ridges as small as 13 nanometres in amplitude and non-patterned surfaces.
>discriminate between surfaces
That doesn't mean you can sense any movement of that size. That means you can touch one surface and say "It's surface A" and then touch another surface (which is really similar) and say "That's not surface A".
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.