[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think my SSD is dying on me it keeps corrupting shit ive tried
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: aa0b6969.jpg (82 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
aa0b6969.jpg
82 KB, 800x1000
I think my SSD is dying on me
it keeps corrupting shit
ive tried clean install multiple times it just keeps corrupting random shit after a while after installation

its ocz arc 100

what now? which ssd should i go for now?
>>
>he meme meme meme meet meme meme meme meet meme meme meme meet meme meme meme meet meme meme meme meet meme meme meme meet meme meme meme meet meme memed
>>
>>52100247
Honestly, I don't think it matters much. I use PNY SSDs from Best Buy, they're cheap as fuck if you can get them on sale, and function well.
>>
>OCZ
Found the problem

Newer OCZ SSDs are supposedly okay, but older ones have problems. Big problems.
IE the ones they made before they went bankrupt.

Samsung, intel, crucial, even OCZ. Any brand except: PNY: Cheap chink shit.
Kingston: Cheaper chink shit.
>>
My OCZ Vector died in less than a year, kept corrupting shit exactly like yours. My Crucial, Toshiba and Samsung SSDs have all been fine.
>>
How sure are you that it's corrupting stuff? have you checked memory? do you run checksums first and then verify the files have changed over time?

I have a issue with data corruption at the moment and trying to pinpoint what it is. everything chekcs out fine but still this is happening. I'm staring to think it's a hotfix I'm missing.
>>
>>52100402
Kingston is a US company, and while they have some production facilities in China too, they have lots of others in other countries too (US, UK, Ireland).
>>
>>52100247
Had that problem once. It was the motherboard.
>>
>>52100551
I just literally built a new system after the old installation died on me. I just took the chance to get a new rig. Didnt think it was the ssd thats broken
>>
>>52100782
Okay so it's not chink shit but it's still shit. Kingston drives are not good.
>>
>>52100247
I had that problem because I was putting into into a RAID because my motherboard did not full support it. Now I just run it as a normal drive since it still works faster then my mechanical drives
>>
File: 1399666590017.jpg (174 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1399666590017.jpg
174 KB, 768x1024
>>52100247
>he fell for the SSD meme and now he's shocked about poor quality/lifespan

>he actually wants to get another SSD

Son you make me sad.
>>
>>52102283
sorry m8 but i like the blazing fast speed
>>
I like how /g/ keeps saying "BUY SSDs, they are more reliable than HDDs!"

Every other day or week we have a thread like this where someone's SSD fucks up.

>b-but SSDs go into read only mode when they are at the end of their life!

and every other thread we have people who have corrupted SSDs, or SSDs that just disappear from BIOS, etc.
>>
MLC drives are inherently unstable. Their theoretical lifetime is nowhere near their practical lifetime and effective data retention.
SLC drives are basically not made anymore, or at least not made available to consumers at viable prices.

OCZ drives were particularly shitty.

I wouldn't use MLC for anything I'd care about getting corrupted and lose hours/days trying to replace except if it were a redundant array of MLC drives.
>>
>>52102989
So much this.
>>
>>52102989
Thats why i never have anything important inside my SSD
I store important stuff in my raid 10 array

BTW i just went to buy samsung 850 evo 240gb
>>
>>52100402
running vertex 3 since around its launch.
still booting in ~9 secs and no other problems at all.

All I did was move user folders with symlinks and a couple more of common tweaks.
>>
>>52103105
care to elaborate?
>>
>>52103189
I have a printout from a *much better) tutorial that describes the same steps as in here:
http://superuser.com/questions/200096/problem-after-moving-users-folder-on-windows-7

but I'm on page 3 and couldn't find it yet. It' s just a nice way to remove user shit from the ssd to an hd, especially temp, tmp, random downloads and all of those files that tend to cluster in under /users appdata. Well, as I said i'm still running the same tiny OS only drive, so I had to be a bit more cautious from the beginning and I still have no pressing need to upgrade/replace this old ssd. Other thingss I did are the simple stuff you'll find in the first of page of any "ssd optmization/maint guide" search
>>
>>52102989
The only corruption caused on system came from myself rather my ssd.

I'm actually finishing a new fresh instal right now after I fucked up so bad I even felt ashamed to ask for some guidance here on /g/. I probably could've fixed the issue, but since it was taking so long I decided it was time for a nice fresh install
>>
>>52100402
>Kingston: Cheaper chink shit.
So much this, I picked up the first SSD I saw at Bestbuy then I got to my house, benchmarked and got like 200 read and 120 write, I got no one but myself to blame but fuck Kingston with their bs bait and swicht tactics.
>>
>>52103468
wasn't it kingston that ninja replaced hardware/firmware from some prize winning ssd but keeping the old sku?
>>
I think this is relevant enough to post here but since I'm a fucking casual I'll try to avoid triggering anyone's autism.

I bought a pre-made over-expensive laptop supposedly optimized for game performance and in the 1-3 years I've had it it's worked fine. Paying a bit more than I should have wasn't a problem when it was working.

The SSD crapped out a couple months back and it seems to be sourced at the controller chip. Am I better off enjoying my new tiny brick and buying a normal HD or trying to see if replacing the controller chip will do anything?

From what I read, Sudden SSD Death Syndrome isn't too uncommon, and I'm thinking of getting a 1TB 7200RPM HD to replace it, but if there were any chance for salvaging the drive I figured it was worth checking.
>>
>>52102989
That's because SSDs are generally newer and when they break it confuses people.

When HDDs break people just accept it as an everyday part of life when owning an HDD and just get a new one. They don't come on /g/ and ask about it.
>>
>>52100247
>ive tried clean install multiple times
aHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>52100935
Sauce?
>>
>Fucking plebs buying OCZ and Kingston and then basing all SSD reliability on said shit brands.

I had an Intel 320 SSD in my laptop for 4 years without a single issue. Just replaced it with a Samsung 850 EVO but only because I needed more space. Put Intels in 4 other family members PCs over the past few years and haven't had any problems with those either.

Stop buying cheap shit.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.