[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think about Apple laptops?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65
What does /g/ think about Apple laptops?
>>
They're ok
>>
>>52098518
they're fine but not worth the price
>>
You wont really find anything better.
>>
>>52098607
>You wont really find anything better.
yeah maybe on www.apple.com since the macbook and macbook air are literally garbage.
>>
>>52098518
nsa spying equipment with a shit os
>>
>>52098597
>not worth the price
Entirely subjective.
>>
Price of a high end pc w;ith the hardware of a shitty netbook
>>
>>52098518
Perfect for web browsing, shit for everything else.
>>
>>52098607
How are the Dell XPS 13/XPS 15?
>>
>>52098654
Garbage that's overshilled.
>>
>>52098651
>everything else.
>muh games
>>
They're pretty neat, I mean, if you have a single company controlling both OS and hardware platform you can obviously deliver a more finely-tuned product than when you have to build a general use platform and depend on third-party vendors.

It has its quirks and it's by no means perfect, but it's a very slick interface and these days, you're just a step removed from a familiar terminal window with root access.

I think it's kind of overpriced for what you get though when measured purely on tech specs.

YMMV.
>>
File: 4L_6ntCpr9d.jpg (43 KB, 288x237) Image search: [Google]
4L_6ntCpr9d.jpg
43 KB, 288x237
>>52098518
I'm scared to get one post-steve-jobs era. It's all downhill from here senpaitachi
>>
>>52098643
Depends on what parameters you want to quantify.

If you exclude "design" and "brand" everything else is basically objective. You can get a better machine for the price.
>>
>>52098518
boring desu

like most other modern hipster portable tech it doesn't excite me at all
>>
File: Junk.jpg (79 KB, 640x862) Image search: [Google]
Junk.jpg
79 KB, 640x862
junk

Dell offers better designs and hardware for less cost.
>>
>Everyone says it's overpriced
>No one suggests serious alternatives
>>
>>52098709
Dell XPS and HP Envy series
Sony VAIO, Asus Zenbook
Microsoft Surfacebook

There are many alternatives with better hardware power.
>>
>>52098700
I'd like to get a Dell but I want to try before I buy. Unfortunately I couldn't find any at the nearest electronics stores
>>
>>52098685
but that's not really true, design is still significant and specs haven't been a really practically significant factor in anything you'd use a portable for for a while now

and if you do care about performance in your portables, you should be using a mobile workstation anyway, or use a real computer like everyone else
>>
>>52098720
>Windows Laptops
Call me when high DPI scaling isn't shit
>>
>>52098659
I got a 13" rMBP Late 2013 because it was these were supposedly the best at the time. It is definitely a piece of shit for anything other than web browsing.
Nothing beats it for browsing the web and watching videos on the bed and at work though.
>>
>>52098734
Hasn't been shit since Windows 8.1 Update 1.
It's actually better than OS X's wasteful 2x rendering.
>>
>>52098518
Rich clueless college brats get em because they're stupid and they believe commercials and advertisements.

Poor consumers bitch about how expensive they are.

They're nothing special, they're just another computer.
>>
>>52098722
>you should be using a mobile workstation anyway
the macbook pro is supposed to be a mobile workstation. that's why it's the pro series but somehow apple stopped treating it like that.

>specs haven't been a really practically significant factor in anything you'd use a portable for for a while now
If you use it as a facebook machine, yes of course but why would you buy a macbook pro then? just go with an air or macbook.

>design is still significant
depends. i dont think the design of the macbook pro justifies the price. i want sturdy and robust design when i buy a mobile pc.
>>
>>52098734
Why would anyone use Windows on such beauties? I would put on Xubuntu with Compton and infinality.
>>
File: IcJrcIn.jpg (22 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
IcJrcIn.jpg
22 KB, 720x480
Well worth every cent. It's a bit different now that surface and pixels are out now, their build quality is comparable.

>>52098700
>dell promotion using Suigintou
I Can't Believe You've Done This
>>
They still have bad problems with cooling. Usually it waits until the temperatures are finger-burning hot then kicks the fans into full blast which takes a minute or two to cool stuff down to an acceptable level while your fingers are still burning.
>>
>>52098518
They're excellent laptops for plenty of uses, although they aren't for everyone.
>>
>>52098840
>I Can't Believe You've Done This

Suigintou is synonymous with junk, not promoting Dell.
>>
>be /g/
>love Apple back before it went mainstream with the iPod
>love the old artisanal thinkpads from back before they sold out to lenovo
>like fountain pens because "the feeling" is better
>insist on mechanical everything (watches, keyboards, etc...) because "~the experience~" is superior
>ask them about tools for shaving - either beard, safety razor, or straight edge like an old time barber shop
>>
>>52098621

> stating your opinion as fact

I use a new macbook. it's fucking great for me. solid machine.
>>
>>52098518
I've only used Window/Linux machines myself but I know several students in my CS classes that use them. Being able to use Unix commands is nice and apparently they are pretty good for developing on. Several of them got the laptops for free through internships at Apple though so you have to factor that in.

I hope that's helpful. If it's not and you just wanted some consumer advice I kindly suggest that you get off /g/.
>>
>>52098518
Probably one of the best laptops your average Joe can afford.
>>
>>52098722
I disagree with the way you look at things
>>
>>52098770
>the macbook pro is supposed to be a mobile workstation
they're more business/prosumer systems than workstations, Apple hasn't really seriously targeted that market since the 68k era
>If you use it as a facebook machine
most of the shitposting warriors in these threads are arguing over specs for machines that they use as exactly that, and from years of experience DDing laptops for most of my life, if you buy something as gimped as an ultrabook for anything more you should probably stop and think for a moment
>but why would you buy a macbook pro then? just go with an air or macbook.
I don't get it either
>i dont think the design of the macbook pro justifies the price.
I personally think apple's design is trashy, boring shit, but when I buy things I still take design into consideration because I don't see it in black and white like most of /g/ does for some reason, a computer is almost a piece of furniture to me and a very significant part of my everyday life, I want it to be perfect in every aspect, not just the numbers on a sheet of paper and the numbers it can save me to help maximize my mindless consumption of more plastic shit

in the grand scheme of things an extra hundred or so spent on something that is designed as nicely as it theoretically performs is nothing
>>
0.90ghz master race reporting in
>>
>>52098896
>average
keyword, people with average IQ and outlook on life become suckers to consumerism and buy Applel.

exceptional people examine their needs and have devices tailor made for maximum efficiency.
>>
>>52098770
What about this

Would you spend $1000 on a computer case

If not why buy a macbook
when its only got about $500 worth of hardware in it
>>
>>52098920
My C2D desktop from 2005 was 1.86ghz 4gb ram and still works.

Just put that Mac out of its misery.
>>
>>52098924
the average shill on /g/ wasting away hours of their lives arguing over the trivial highlights of facebook machines is hardly "exceptional"
>>
>>52098518
Nope never again
Never ever

I bought a late 2011 15" macbook pro for $2000 nzd early in 2012.

Since then I have had its logic board replaced 12 times. Twelve. One of them lasted two weeks.

I've been lucky enough to have had all the repairs warranted because it would always kill itself before the repair warranty ran out, and after that Apple released that extended warranty plan, and I was also lucky enough to be able to sell it off to some sucker for $1000.

But honestly you couldn't have paid me to have kept that piece of shit any longer, or any other apple computer/phone/tablet for that matter. Their hardware assembly is just fucked.

Having said that, OSX mavericks was a fine OS, super strict on what I was or wasn't allowed to do to it, but shit it looked and worked nicer than Windows ever has for me.

Avoid mac computers anon, avoid them at all costs.
>>
>>52098948
I don't use Facebook and I have a steady job. Try again.

Initially I started off with HP for my field work but now I am looking for ways to acquire a custom built laptop.
>>
>>52098920

did you not read?

> CPU: Intel Core M
> GPU: Intel HD 5300
> RAM: 8GB (DDR3)
>>
>>52098658
What's wrong with them?
>>
>>52098941
misquote
>>52098975

gimme a break it's 4am

>>52098950
> 12 logic boards

wtf? were you shitting on the laptop? plugging it into a car's power outlet??
>>
File: 1408886965520.png (151 KB, 591x717) Image search: [Google]
1408886965520.png
151 KB, 591x717
>>52098950
>Since then I have had its logic board replaced 12 times. Twelve.
In this post: things that never happened
>>
Good OS, userfriendly, amazing touchpad (give me another laptop that has the same quality)

Overpriced as fuck.

It works, but it's overpriced. Same for the iPhones.
>>
>>52098709
>>52098720
>>52098734
>nobody suggests alternatives
(Somebody suggests alternatives to macbooks)
>greentexts windows laptops
What the fuck is this shit? lol
>>
Using premiere pro/after effects - do you pick surface book/business lappy or do you pick a MacBook?
>>
>>52098518
Piece of shit computer

The only think it does is run facebook
>>
>>52099009
Reality is a concept that eludes Apple faggots. They deny anything that threatens the bubble they live in.
>>
>>52098971
I was never directly attacking you, although if you base your notion of "exceptional" intelligence on something as trivial as choice in portable devices I would probably call that into question.
>>
>>52099039
DPI scaling really does suck on windows and linux, though... I use both, mac os x has that shit locked down w/ retina displays.
>>
>>52098997
>>52099000
A lot of late 2011 MBP's had a fault where the amd graphics card was:
A. A furnace
B. Balled unbelievably bad
This caused the model to disconnect its on board gpu from the motherboard from a combination of those two.
Apples approach to fixing this problem is to replace the entire logic board (including CPU, gpu and with some poor saps the ram for a lesser amount) with an identical board with the exact same problem, a furnace for a gpu and horrible gpu balling.

So the logic board would fail time and time again.

>>12 times
Im not kidding about that, I'm certainly one of the least lucky ones, for some people it never happened and for others one replacement would do it.
Tbh I did game on it though, but I'm entitled to that.
>>
>>52098518
Only the PRO versions are fine.
But the price... oh god the price... come on! I would gladly buy one if it weren't for the huge price!

I also have my gripes with the lack of connectors, but...
>>
File: 1378685760172.jpg (630 KB, 936x936) Image search: [Google]
1378685760172.jpg
630 KB, 936x936
>>52098877
Fuck. I own a mechanical watch, mechanical keyboard, a thinkpad and I shave with a safety razor.

Am I a meme?
>>
>>52099063
Then you shouldn't have bothered saying anything about people suggesting alternatives in the first place when you then immediately jump to your issue with dpi scaling, you would have just said you like how that os has better dpi scalling.
>>
>>52099110
No you are a smart consumer. Most of the time /g/ has been right and I have learned a lot about computing and evaluating the devices I use.

If a vast majority of people are using something, it has some merit.
>>
Macbook pros are aesthetically the best on the market. I love the build quality - the largetrackpad, the design, the scree. It's solid, battery is good, specs are decent.

Only problem is mac OS is awful and it costs a fortune. If I was rich I'd buy the best macbook around and install linux or even windows instead.
>>
>>52098518
well made, decently specced, entirely overpriced, horrible customization
>>
>>52098950
On the contrary I've had 4 Apple laptops over 10 years and not one of them has broken. You just need to stop pissing on your laptop anon.
>>
>>52098607
Anything worse*
>>
They're good. Get one if don't depend on Windows-only software and if your budget allows it.
>>
>>52098518
>Apple laptops

botnet
>>
>>52098518
They represent everything wrong with modern laptop computers. This would be tolerable if all the other manufacturers didn't desperately copy them feature by feature starting from the worst.
>>
>>52100676
>light
>good battery life
>good screen
>good trackpad

What an awful portable computer.
>>
>>52099126
>/g/
>a vast majority of people
I hope you're not implying this
>>
>>52100710
>soldered everything
>shit build quality
>locked down piece of shit hardware and OS
>overpriced as hell
>shit shallow keyboard
>no dedicated trackpad buttons
>crappy Korean LG/Samshit failure-prone screens
That's right, an awful computer.
>>
File: 1435144430672.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1435144430672.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>52098700
>2015
>design
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>low cost for hardware
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jesus, I feel bad for you, man, you must really be desperate to be a shill for one of the worst tech companies of the 21st century
>>
>>52098518

>lightweight
>sturdy
>good screen (great screen on pro models)
>awesome trackpad
>Battery life is stellar on the larger Air
>OS is alright, not great
>Pricing is god-awful
>setting up a backup without one of their airport things is a pain in the ass
>you're well and truly fucked if you mess up your keyring or keychain or whatever the fuck they call their password system
>>
hey /g/, is it normal that my 5 year old macbook pro is getting slow and laggy? should i get ready to buy a new laptop or can i do something to fix this?
>>
>>52098658
Got an alternative? I'm about to buy the $1200 13.
>>
>>52098881
Eeh are you sure senpai?
The keyboard's still hit and miss to me..
>>
>>52100744
>soldered everything
Are you telling me you don't know how to desolder something, or what?
>shit build quality
low quality bait
>locked down piece of shit hardware and OS
OS X (originally just "OS" the "x" stands for 10) is a Unix based operating system. It's much more open than Windows, and installing Homebrew will enable you to be able to do things that in Windows, you'd have to edit reg files to do, or can't do at all. Even stock OSX is more customizable than, say, Windows 10.
>overpriced as hell
"I'm poor and mad that high quality laptops cost more than my used 10 year old Thinkpad"
>shit shallow keyboard
What, the keyboard on your Thinkpad is so much better?
>no dedicated trackpad buttons
The trackpad is one big button, and this is the most popular, most functional and stable trackpad on the market
>crappy Korean LG/Samshit failure-prone screens
ok, have fun with your Chinese 1920x1080p low pixel density thinkpad screen while the rest of us enjoy premium quality, bright glass-screens with Retina displays.

>insulting the company that basically invented the laptop and the modern computer
ok kid
>>
>>52100820
No. I have a 5 year old Air, with 4 GB of RAM, and it runs great on 10.11.2. Try a clean install.
>>
>>52100744
>locked down OS

Stop reposting memes.
>>
>>52098518
Build quality wise, they're pretty good. But specs and price aren't that great if you're on a budget. Still a nice product though.
>>
>>52098518
- displays are decent
- hardware is mediocre compared to others
- battery life is great with trade offs in performance
- trackpad is nice, but I don't like trackpads so negative for me
- keyboard is very meh
- lack of ports forcing you to buy their (or third party) fucking adapters usually

Though given the choice I'd rather with a Dell M4800 and pimp that out. You can get a god damn 4k display on it at 15.6" and a bunch of other goodies that the Macbooks can't do. The only downside is worse battery life, but they are mobile workstation laptops so that's the trade off.
>>
>>52100851
>instantly assumes he's a typical /g/ Thinkpad user
Wow, you shills can't make it any more obvious.
>>
>>52100863
ok thanks anon!
>>
>>52100890
>"s-stop disagreeing with me, y-you...you...S-SHILL!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
>>
How fucking stupid do you have to be not to buy the best laptop on the market, the Dell XPS 13?
>>
>>52100851
>OS X (originally just "OS" the "x" stands for 10) is a Unix based operating system.
It's actually BSD based, not Unix based, it's only Unix certified to a degree. Also, people know how fucking roman numerals work.
>>
>>52100710
>>light
Achieved by doing all the shitty things below
>>good battery life
Granted.
>>good screen
Mirror garbage with hectares of bezel. Decent resolution and aspect ratio, though. I wish more companies copied that.
>>good trackpad
TrackPoint > trackpad any day, force touch is bullshit

All this for:
>retarded keyboard layout (fn+enter=insert, ctrl and fn swapped, that ISO fucking enter)
>no nipple mouse
>glued down battery
>soldered components
>no quad core
>furnace
>impossible to upgrade except by sending to apple jews or voiding the useless warranty
>customization options limited to stickers glued on the lid
>just look at the fucking narrow-ass enter key on their ISO keyboard
>function keys in a secondary layer, F1-F12 only accessible with Fn+key
>keyboard that appeals exclusively to shills and arithritics
>>
>>52100851
>"I'm poor and mad that high quality laptops cost more than my used 10 year old Thinkpad"
Valid fucking complaint. The hardware is marked up twice what it's actually worth, probably more than that too. If it was priced competitively without the bullshit Apple tax it'd be much more appealing to a bunch of people on budgets. Doesn't help that at the price points they charge there are other machines that can do more and are more customization and user serviceable.
>>
>>52100851
>company that basically invented the laptop and the modern computer
This is what Apple shills believe.
>>
>>52100925
>nipple mouse
Holy shit, you realise the VAST majority of people using computers ALL agree that the "nipple mouse" is FUCKING trash and only elitist thinkpad losers like it.
>glued down battery and soldered components
d'awwwww, babby doesnt know how to desolder and remove glue
>quad core in a notebook
Are you retarded?
>furnace
oh yeah you are
>impossible to upgrade except by sending to apple jews or voiding the useless warranty
just like 90% of all other products by other brands
>customization options limited to stickers glued on the lid
see >>52100851
>>
>>52098720
Zenbooks hinges break and have yellow tint issue and Asus doesnt give a fuck about this. I would not recommend anyone to get Asus zenbook
>>
File: 1428151656950.jpg (35 KB, 375x357) Image search: [Google]
1428151656950.jpg
35 KB, 375x357
>>52100975
fampai...
>>
>>52100925
Fair points but

>screen
Yeah I wish they did anti-glare again.
>retarded keyboard layout
Unfortunately this goes the opposite way for me. When I use my desktop I mess up with alt and the windows key since they're swapped and cmd is an important key for shortcuts on OS X so yeah it can be annoying. Personally the enter key doesn't bother me but I can see why it's shitty. I also honestly don't find the keyboard too be too bad though it's no where near my mechanical.
>no nipple mouse
That's purely subjective. I don't like them myself but I guess it's a shame for people who do.
>quad core
There is one (15")
>furnace
They're not bad at all anymore unless you're running at load for a while, but even then I've not seen it go above ~76C. My 2006 MBP would run at 106C just from youtube (thanks flash), that was a furnace.
>function keys in a secondary layer, F1-F12 only accessible with Fn+key
You can switch it so they're normal keys.
>>
>>52098518
They're great laptops with great trackpads, keyboards and displays, but they often lack ports (ethernet plox)Their price is high, but they make up for it in build quality and not skipping out in important areas.
In their pricerange they're very competitive with high-end notebooks/laptops.

For regular home/light office use they're fantastic, but if you need a proper business machine you're better off getting a high end Thinkpad, Latitude, or XPS.
>>
If you get them for free they are pretty decent.
>>
>>52100889
>hardware is mediocre compared to others

I don't think this is a good argument against Macbooks, because you can find a laptop with an i7 and relatively good discrete GPU (840m/850m for example) and plenty of memory for ~600 USD but it will be a piece of trash.
It's better to compare the macbook pros to other laptops targeting a similar market (X1 Carbon, T450s, XPS 13/15, Latitude 7000 series etc), they come out as very competitively priced. A rMBP will go for around 1200 USD.
Meanwhile an X1 Carbon will go for around 1800 for the non-ass price bait model. I think that's the key difference, Apple don't make shitty price bait models that are hundreds of dollars cheaper than the proper, as-advertised model.
>>
Apple has the best software. Windows 10 just can't compete
>>
>>52098988
battery is only rated for 300 cycles (compared to 1000 cycles in all apple laptops)

and you can't turn off the autobrightness
>>
File: 1409947411785.jpg (118 KB, 497x640) Image search: [Google]
1409947411785.jpg
118 KB, 497x640
>>52098659

>implying everything else
>muh games

You neet kids are the best.
>>
>>52100975

Wait, let's be clear: the mouse nub isn't amazing, but it is a LOT better than the shitty trackpads that everyone else makes.

Seriously, how has no one else caught up to Apple's trackpads yet?
>>
>>52098518
I like my 2012 rMBP, but I hate OSX. The screen and trackpad are awesome, but OSX is just retarded shitware that gets worse with every version. Apple should seriously just kill themselves.
>>
File: macbook2015.jpg (140 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
macbook2015.jpg
140 KB, 1200x630
Say what you want about other Apple laptops, but the Macbook is just shit.
>>
>>52098881
I am okay with the device but, i cant use it for the programs i run for my job.
>>
>>52104302
all of their first generation products are shit. the apple watch is kind of clearly shit, the first generation MBA was shit. the ipad pro is kind of shit. the first gen ipad was shit.

the first generation palm pilot was shit.

all first generation products were shit.

someone, try and prove me wrong
>>
If you need something that operates like a Mac Book try the Toshiba satellite. Cheaper yet better. I don't know how they did it but it can run all my hardcore games on max graphic settings.
>>
File: whylive.png (139 KB, 917x871) Image search: [Google]
whylive.png
139 KB, 917x871
>>52104346
Cant do it. They were.
>>
poorfags rejoice
>>
>>52098750
Whatever you say, pajeet
>>
How's Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14?
>>
>>52098518
Pretty good. Most of the non developers on /g/ don't really seem to understand the appeal though.
>>
can apple just hurry up and release the new rmbp already
>>
>>52103976
Yes you can.

Just install the Dell drivers and turn off power saving thing. The only reason it's there my default is to make the battery look energy efficient.
>>
i'm getting off the thinkpad bandwagon. it was fun, i still enjoy the keyboard and trackpoint, but the compromise of battery life, display and weight is not worth it. my next laptop will be the macbook pro refresh
>>
>>52104346
>all of their products are shit
Fixed.
>>
File: 1446710077165.jpg (146 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
1446710077165.jpg
146 KB, 878x900
>>52107808
>the compromise of battery life, display and weight is not worth it
>so i'm going to buy something that's worse in all those areas
>>
>>52107867
my thinkpad holds 2½ hours at medium brightness, which is barely readable because of the TN panel
>>
>>52098518
Boring. I don't like laptops anymore. I had Apple laptop (Powerbook G4) when it wasn't even cool or hipster to have one. Now everyone wants an Apple laptop.

Meh. I like big screens, anything under 24 inch of screen seems too gimped to me.

Not to mention you're paying more for the desktop equivalent hardware for less performance. Nah., not worth the money anymore, unless you really needed a laptop and there was no other solution for you.

Even if I got one as a present right now, I wouldn't need it. I just don't like laptops anymore.
>>
>>52107898
>my $50 used craptop is a piece of shit so i'm going to buy a brand new $1000 laptop and claim that entire brand is so much better

Thanks for confirming you're a brain dead retard.
>>
>>52108190
i think you're interpreting my post a bit too liberally
>>
>>52108214

Thanks for confirming I was spot on and you have no argument.
>>
>>52108255
i don't think you understand my argument that the way you interpreted my post was not the way i meant it to be interpreted
>>
>>52108190
thinkpads cost more than macbooks when they were new
and most of the thinkpads in circulation among /g/ right now are post-retina
>>
File: 1445094325222.jpg (145 KB, 641x784) Image search: [Google]
1445094325222.jpg
145 KB, 641x784
>>52108292
>still has no argument
>still trying to deflect he posted baseless claims, all of which are objectively wrong

Don't be upset because you're poor and can't afford real laptops and have to settle for ancient used shit with dying batteries or poorfag fruitboy laptops.
>>
>>52107952
>>Meh. I like big screens, anything under 24 inch of screen seems too gimped to me.
I really don't understand the point of getting a larger screen unless it also comes with a resolution bump. Those 1080p 24" displays you see everywhere are pure cancer and are just as bad if not worse than 15" 1366x768 because they both have brick-sized pixels.

At 24"-27" the bare minimum is 2560x1440, for anything above 27" 4k is the bare minimum.

I have no idea how some people can use 32" 1080p TVs as monitors. It'd drive me crazy.
>>
File: uuh what.gif (3 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
uuh what.gif
3 MB, 300x200
>>52108352
good god m8...
>>
File: 1405959681304.jpg (37 KB, 483x366) Image search: [Google]
1405959681304.jpg
37 KB, 483x366
>>52108382
Yeah that's right fruitboy, you better run along before you get smacked the fuck up.
>>
File: 1451259044456.jpg (55 KB, 438x583) Image search: [Google]
1451259044456.jpg
55 KB, 438x583
I've never owned a Macbook but have been considering it. Is everyone ITT shilling with a god-tier precision or are Macbooks actually p good laptops? From what I can tell, the thermals seem like they're be terrible with their practically zero ventilation.
>>
I have a 2013 rMBP 13 running El Capitan and a ThinkPad T440p running Ubuntu 14.

I like both a lot. I like to use the Mac when I have to be mobile (meetings , travelling) / when doing webprojects. And I prefer the TP when doing Android & C++ development. The keyboard on the tp is better, the trackpad on the mbp is better.

Both are great, both have up and downsides, but both are good. Get a used mbp retina if you want to use osx, get the tp for linux.

Both are good.
>>
>>52108440
please consider that my post regarded older thinkpad laptops such as the T60. i don't rate newer thinkpads as anything close as to those of early lenovo/late ibm. my point was that while laptops like th T60 and X201 are popular thinkpad laptops, i think they compromise too much on features i've learned i value more. stop being such a brand-focused autist
>>
I grew up with Apple so I'm pretty much glued to macs. I mean, I have a bootcamp windows 7 on the macbook I'm using, but I only ever switch over to it when I want to play a windows-only game, which is becoming a less common thing. It's all really opinion, but if you insist on hearing mine, I'd say macs are better, but worth about $500 too much, going for all apple computers.
>>
File: 1450742016731.jpg (9 KB, 227x200) Image search: [Google]
1450742016731.jpg
9 KB, 227x200
>>52108606
>please consider that my post regarded 20 year old laptops
>waaaaahhhhh the battery life sucks so bad and it has a TN screen

Just kill yourself fruitboy.
>>
File: help.png (11 KB, 69x82) Image search: [Google]
help.png
11 KB, 69x82
>>52108700
my T60 is not 20 years old. and while i do like a lot of things about it, the screen quality and battery life really are issues

christ m8 you're impossible to reason with
>>
File: 1450749252802.jpg (82 KB, 500x707) Image search: [Google]
1450749252802.jpg
82 KB, 500x707
>>52108792
>the battery life on my 20 year old labtup sux waaaaaahhhh
>>
>>52098988
weak battery, cpu almost always throttled

just read some tests
>>
>>52108578
Holy shit, a rational opinion. Didn't know those existed here.

But yeah, this nails it. Different laptops are better in different situations. Who'd thunk it.

I'll add though that dell business/workstation laptops also handle Linux pretty nicely, opening up a little more variety in choice for a Linux box.
>>
File: 1450742907111.png (599 KB, 1300x900) Image search: [Google]
1450742907111.png
599 KB, 1300x900
Daily reminder that OSX sucks so hard at battery management, Apple had to remove the cooling system and gimp the hardware just to stuff a massive oversized 95WHr battery into their 20lb MBP just to get the same battery life as a 1.5lb Surface with a 40WHr battery.
>>
>>52098654
Better bang for your buck as far as components go (except the screen). Much poorer quality construction and materials.
>>
>>52103976
Fuck off retard. Just because you're a gullible fucking moron doesn't make apple's lipos defy the laws of physics. All lipos are rated at 300 cycles regardless of what marketing bullshit you eat with your hands.
>>
>>52109080
>Better bang for your buck
They're almost literally the same price, maybe a difference of $100 here or there for the most up to date models.
>>
>>52098654
Much better construction, aluminum/carbonfiber/magnesium instead of recycled soda cans like macbooks.
>>
>>52109080
>>52109136
Make up your mind
>>
>>52109136
recycled soda cans are aluminium
>>
>>52109191
Here's all you need to know about Apple build quality.
>>
File: nLG4OIF.jpg (798 KB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
nLG4OIF.jpg
798 KB, 3120x4160
Got this for Christmas. It fucking sucks.
>>
File: processor speed.png (4 KB, 525x61) Image search: [Google]
processor speed.png
4 KB, 525x61
>>52098975
>>52098997
>>52099072

He's being disingenuous. I don't know how Mac's work exactly but the processors can save power going low speeds.
>>
>>52109228
Why does apple trigger /g/ so hard?
>>
>>52109238

Send it my way nigga
>>
>>52098518
This
>>52108456
>>
File: 1446152558416.jpg (152 KB, 929x1386) Image search: [Google]
1446152558416.jpg
152 KB, 929x1386
>>52109266
Why does reality trigger macfags so hard?
>>
>>52109272
lmao I'd trade this piece of shit for a 2008 thinkpad
>>
>>52109117
>300 cycle no matter what

what is wrong with your brain?
>>
>>52109266
/g/ - poorfaggotry
>>
File: leave britney alone.gif (4 KB, 300x150) Image search: [Google]
leave britney alone.gif
4 KB, 300x150
>>52109266
>post objective factual picture
>S-STOP ATTACKING APEL
>>
>>52098518
They're good. Unfortunately you're in an internet image board that likes rice.
>>
>>52108366
This. I'm on an 18.5 inch 1366 acer, and it's fucking disgusting, my latitude e6400 with 1440x900 on a 14 inch is way better, I want a Dell U2412m pronto.
>>
File: Abdul Fattah Jandali Jr.jpg (202 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
Abdul Fattah Jandali Jr.jpg
202 KB, 1200x627
>>52098518
>What does /g/ think about eating shit from your hands?
>>
>>52109397
I never said anything about not attacking Apple.
>>
File: coconutbattery.02.21.2014.png (156 KB, 379x548) Image search: [Google]
coconutbattery.02.21.2014.png
156 KB, 379x548
>>52109303
I owned a MBA for 3 years and you're a retard. Apple purposely mislabels the full charge capacity to below what the actual battery can hold. So when the warranty expires at normal usage, it's still at "90%" capacity, even though the real capacity likely fell 20% to 30%. But gullible idiots like you will continue sucking Apple dick and ignoring reality.
>>
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 744x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 744x850
>>52108352
Post evidence
>>
>>52109622
but that picture is from my 2011 macbook. it still get ~6 hours on a charge just like when i bought it new.

im not even an apple fanboy, but you pulling that 300 cycle number out of your ass isnt helping you not look like a fucking tool
>>
>>52098518
good battery life and imo OSX works great with a single display and the touch pad.
>>
>>52109720
>but you pulling that 300 cycle number out of your ass

How do mactards breathe without assistance?
>>
>>52109622
>>52109303
You're both retards, because Applel doesn't even do proper calculation of cycles and usage. They literally count "plug-in, unplug" as a cycle, regardless of time and actual charging.
>>
>>52109751
prove me wrong. if you are talking about 300 cycles until it begins to degrade then yes you might be on to something. when people say a battery is rating for X number of cycles, they mean until its basically fucked. and no laptop battery is rated for 300 cycles in the first place.

i already said im not an apple fanboy, i showed you my 2011 battery is still fine. my x220 is still fine as well and if my desktop had a battery i could make fun of you with that also
>>
>>52109840
this, my dell latitude E6400 doesn't even do cycle counts, because it's not a good enough way to measure health, mine just says poor, average, or normal.
>>
>>52109840
no, they calculate just like anyone else
>>
>>52109840
this desu senpai, 2 months of trips to starbucks, and apple can already deny 95% of macbook customer warranties on batteries.
>>
The Macbook is one of the worst laptops I've ever used.

The Air and Pro are nice. They are well built, visually appealing, and have good screens and touchpads. The keyboard is OK for chiclet. They have some serious problems, though. They're VERY expensive. They get poor performance because they throttle. They are almost impossible to service.

They're nice for some people, particularly creative types. They are not perfect. They're remarkably bad if you need high performance.
>>
>>52110062
2009 Dell Latitude fag here, mine still runs perfectly without throttling because it's bottom slides off and the heatsink and fan can be removed easily.
>>
>>52110125
>because it's bottom slides off and the heatsink and fan can be removed easily.
Same as Macs. Macs have a lot of issues but this is at least one user-serviceable feature they got right.
>>
File: applelcoolingdesign.png (407 KB, 682x748) Image search: [Google]
applelcoolingdesign.png
407 KB, 682x748
>apple
ayylmao
>>
File: 2015-12-26-228.jpg (1 MB, 4000x2248) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-26-228.jpg
1 MB, 4000x2248
>>52110195
>>52110125
Business class master race.
>>
Holding out for the Pro 2016

If they release it in June I'm gonna be so fucking pissed
>>
File: 1447144167104.jpg (55 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
1447144167104.jpg
55 KB, 400x280
>>52110259
>Holding out to eat shit from my hands in 2016
>
>If they release it in June I'm gonna be so fucking pissed
>>
File: bored.jpg (31 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
bored.jpg
31 KB, 620x465
>>52098518
Good screen, decent trackpad, everything else into the trash.
>>
>>52110277
>Waiting for last year's hardware
kek
>>
>>52098685
what about retina display? is there any other comparable laptop with retina for same price and with similar specs?
>>
>>52110307
Anything in the same price range.
>>
>>52110307
There isn't. Retina is the best you can get.
>>
File: 1450666518319.png (549 KB, 689x679) Image search: [Google]
1450666518319.png
549 KB, 689x679
>>52110343
>macshit
>best anything
>>
>>52098518
Tl;DR Overrated trash, most of its "upsides" are actually either false or offset by some other major factors.

The battery life is actually similar to laptops half as expensive running Linux, and I'm talking distros like Mint or openSUSE which don't really require "fine tuning".
Everything is nailed down, if you don't like something - anything - all you can do is go fuck yourself.
Ridiculous touchpad and mouse sensitivity, some idiot thought it would be a good idea to make it work like it does. To be fair it might be good for drawing and shit but it must have been disabled by default. Heck, older OSX version do not even have the option to turn this "cursor acceleration" off. Fucking bullshit.
Retina screen... not bad, actually. The fonts are not bad too. Except Safari's fonts.
The biggest problem is that I want all my toolbars at the top of the screen. No excuses, no buts. OSX does not offer that.

Also, can't even swap the HDD\SSD. Unbelievable.
>>
>>52110291
Why? It's hardware is pretty much the same thing as every other laptop in the same sort of niche.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 768x1024
>>52110362
>Zenbook trash
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B00KTL21RA
>>
>>52110343
>mactoddler
>being a clueless moron
Not even surprised desu senpai.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html
>>
>>52110431
>macshit trash
>>
>>52110307
Mac displays are way overrated, they use garbage tier LG and Samshit displays. The only thing they got right is including a true-wide polariser, which pretty much eliminates IPS glow. But when it comes to color Accuracy and gamut, the Panasonic display on my Surface 3 (non-pro) beats it hands down, the difference is night and day with those sub-1 DeltaE accuracy measurings.
>>
File: 1451339408226.jpg (15 KB, 227x200) Image search: [Google]
1451339408226.jpg
15 KB, 227x200
>>52110444
>applel memebook "pro"
>58% gamut

FUCKING

KEK
>>
File: 1450745872542.jpg (89 KB, 512x382) Image search: [Google]
1450745872542.jpg
89 KB, 512x382
>>52110444
>generic office/word/excel dell latitude machine has better color reproduction than macshit
>>
>>52110475
Apple repairs those, what has asus done past 3 - 4 zenbook generations with breaking hinge? Not giving a fuck, that is what it has done, few individuals machines here and there fixed but that is about it.
>>
>>52098518
overpriced for hipsters
>>
File: 1447339299794.gif (4 MB, 273x200) Image search: [Google]
1447339299794.gif
4 MB, 273x200
FIFTY EIGHT PERCENT GAMUT
I
F
T
Y

E
I
G
H
T

P
E
R
C
E
N
T

G
A
M
U
T
>>
>>52110383
>m-muh Linux!

Never change, /g/
>>
1Ghz in a Max goes further than in Windows computer
>>
>>52110766
2 rupees have been deposited in your apple account pajeet
>>
>>52110597
>>52110383
>>52104302

Ok so can you Mac haters recommend an alternative for me? I need a Unix workstation primarily for web developement, docker, powershell, and vmware esxi management. I'm currently running Windows but I'm always having to jump thru hoops to do unix stuff (compiling, nodejs, nfs, etc.). Even though some apps run in Windows, there's always bugs and anomalies that I have to compensate for.

Here's my needs:

Be able to run unix commands in a native environment.

Be able to run MS Office appliations. (Open Office, etc are not sufficient options)

Be able to run software such as Vmware Horizon View client. (there is a linux version for this but it sucks)

Be able to run Xcode.

Be able to run apps and plugins designed only for OSX for web developement.

Be able to do average user things that require Flash, Silverlight, etc.

Also, Linux is not an option because it's too inadequate as a desktop OS. I need something that just works and I dont have time mess around with hacks to get something that only kind of works.

Thanks guys I'm looking forward to your answers.
>>
>>52110625
I'm calling bullshit.

No screen is that shit.
>>
Everyday I dream about Apple laptops, but I always remember that my Lenovo laptop is plastic shit that is still outperforming new Apple laptops at same pricerange by big margin even after 5 years.
>>
>>52110939
>Be able to run unix commands in a native environment.

That disqualifies OSX as well then you mongoloid piece of shit.
>>
>>52110939
I don't know.

Someone should write a Unix clone for x86 systems.
>>
>>52110939
>primarily for web developement
>Linux is not an option because it's too inadequate as a desktop OS.

Front-end "developer" detected.
>>
File: 1449727290629.gif (947 KB, 285x235) Image search: [Google]
1449727290629.gif
947 KB, 285x235
>>52110939
>OSX for web developement.
>>
>>52110726
I'm not stupid enough to pay thousands of dollars for mediocre hardware and an OS that doesn't allow me to do what I'd like to do.
>>52110939
I'm no Mac hater. Okay, maybe I am. I had to use this aberration of a computer for a few months, and the mouse cursor is fucking retarded.

As for your needs... You can try AutoHotkey to automate at least some of the routine actions. And you probably already know what is cygwin.
>>
>>52111042
>I'm not stupid enough to pay thousands of dollars for mediocre hardware
It's pretty much equivalent hardware in terms of what you'll find in windows laptops that try to fill the same niche.
>and an OS that doesn't allow me to do what I'd like to do.
Apple hardware allows for the most freedom in terms of Operating Systems. Isn't that what /g/ likes, freedom?
>>
>>52111080
>Apple hardware allows for the most freedom in terms of Operating Systems
>>
>>52111099
OS X, Windows, and Linux supported right out of the box. You can't say the same for any other hardware.
>>
>>52111123
>throttles to 800MHz right out of the box. You can't say the same for any other hardware.

Fixed.
>>
>>52111080
Implying I'd want a "business niche" laptop, which I don't. Even gaming laptops are at least somewhat suitable for gaming.
>>52111123
Pfft, that's because OSX is jailed to run on Apple-branded hardware. Linux runs well on most of my hardware.
>>
>>52111150
this desu senpai

Only a complete fucking moron would buy a Macbook of any kind.
>>
>>52111174
>Pfft, that's because OSX is jailed to run on Apple-branded hardware
Doesn't change the point, my dear anon.
>>
how do i unlock mac book pro that has password ?
>>
File: 1447065757178.jpg (3 MB, 10000x10000) Image search: [Google]
1447065757178.jpg
3 MB, 10000x10000
>>52111080
>Apple hardware
>freedom
>in the same sentence
>>
>>52111234
the laptop has been locked with findmymac app
>>
Why does /g/ like to argue through the eyes of low-level consumers? None of us are those.
>>
File: sweet steve.jpg (24 KB, 380x253) Image search: [Google]
sweet steve.jpg
24 KB, 380x253
>>52110384
It only throttles burns out and is impossible to replace.
>>
>>52111258
>Louis rossmann makes a whole business around the shitness of apple notebooks.

Never change, Apple.
>>
>>52111226
That's a legit, fair point indeed. But it's not a problem because there's no way I'd ever want to use this silly excuse of an operating system again.
>>
>>52111332
You act like most laptops are user repairable at this point
>>
>>52111330
>None of us are those
hah
>>
So we can agree that macbooks are expensive. What laptop around the size of a macbook is well priced?
>>
>>52110969
How so? I run unix commands all the time in a mac terminal.
>>
>>52098597
>>52098607
>>52098654
>>52098658

It's unfortunate that /g/ LITERALLY cannot come up with a viable alternative to the MBP.

Dell XPS 13 / 15 is all I can think of really. Obviously there are other competitors like the ThinkPad X1 Carbon, HP Spectre x360, etc. But every time I start a thread asking about the best Windows laptops, I get a ton of autistic meming about used ThinkPads.

No, I'm not going to buy a used ThinkPad, no, I'm never going to even consider buying a used ThinkPad, I'm not looking for somebody else's hand me down thank you very much, I'm looking to purchase a COMPUTER to do WORK, I mean seriously Jesus fucking Christ /g/ do any of you even have jobs / a life?
>>
>>52110975
Wouldn't that be great. We could name after RMS how contributed so much to open source. Maybe call it Stinux or something.
>>
>>52111010
Yeah I've got the back cover by the cloud. AWS, Azure, Digital Ocean, Parse, IBM Bluemix, Twilio, etc. It's the front that gives more problem, also line ending are always a concern.
>>
>>52111453
there are plenty of 'alternatives' but no matter what you do, someone will bitch and moan. high resolution screen? LOL ENJOY AUTO DIM!! everything else is fine? LOL ENJOY YOUR TRACKPAD

you cant win with some people
>>
File: 1450752462847.jpg (24 KB, 428x280) Image search: [Google]
1450752462847.jpg
24 KB, 428x280
>>52111453
>i'm too fucking retarded to type 3 words into a search engine: the troll

Every thread.
>>
>>52111453
Name a single Macbook that's 11" and doesn't have a 1366x768 TN. We'll wait.
>>
>>52111042
>AutoHotkey

I'll check that out. I've using Cygwins but there a little buggy sometimes. Thanks.
>>
>>52111010
you cant do asp on linux
>>
>>52111523
Well, prove him wrong anon
>>
>>52111034

I'm not using OSX I'm using Windows and looking for alternatives and Linux is not an option.
>>
>>52111542
/thread
>>
>>52111552
I don't need to. I can run asp in the cloud as a backend to a Linux server running nginx or haproxy.
>>
File: ux501.png (447 KB, 689x679) Image search: [Google]
ux501.png
447 KB, 689x679
>>52111453
It's unfortunate that Apple shills LITERALLY cannot come up with an alternative to real workstation laptops with 4K screens, or anything under 3lbs that doesn't have a shit tier screen.

MBP 13 / 15 is all I can think of really. Obviously there are other competitors like the MBA 13.66"x768, etc. But every time I start a thread asking about the best laptop, I get a ton of autistic memeing about Memebooks.

No, I'm not going to buy an eye cancer inducing 3lb "portable" Memebook Air, no, I'm never going to even consider buying a 58% aRGB gamut 20lb Memebook "Pro", I'm not looking for trash overmeme'd by technology illiterate hipsters pretending to be journalists thank you very much, I'm looking to purchase a COMPUTER to do WORK, I mean seriously Jesus fucking Christ /g/ do any of you even have jobs / a life?
>>
File: 1438118308050.png (158 KB, 436x278) Image search: [Google]
1438118308050.png
158 KB, 436x278
The problem with laptops and /g/ is that /g/ buys like 10lb business laptops and thinks they are great because they literally never leave their desk.

At which point they may as well bought a mini-itx and shoved it into a briefcase if they needed to move it.

Meanwhile the rest of the world actually carries their laptop around and weight is king when looking to buy which is where apple has done great.
>>
>>52098518
They're great, they don't have security flaws like pressing the backspace key 27 times. Fuck linux, piece of shit.
>>
>>52098518
I love the Apple Mactop 2015, it runs my app store very whell and I even snapchat from it. I just wish it had better code to run my stuff, yknow? liike flash makes it produce a really colourful wheel. Minecraft looks super dope tho and my friends are pretty jelly, lol.
>>
>>52111552
>asp
calm down, rajeet.
>>
>>52112359
>t420
>10lbs
Even if it was, do you weigh 100lbs or something?
>>
>>52112549
Wrong. He owns a vagina though.

>>52112359
Respectfully, bitch when you have to do something besides facebook, you'll have half a brain to keep code native and get a thinkpad.

My thinkpad does= workstation, code station 12/24 of the day, multiple screens, multiple network mapped drives, redundancy.

Fuck your macbook.
>>
>>52112549
>hurr skinny boy

carrying around 10lbs, or should I say putting on your desk because you faggots never leave your room, just to try and claim your strong makes you look like an idiot.
>>
>>52112359
>where apple has done great
>only models are 1366x768 vs 50lb "pro"
>>
>>52112596
>macbooks can't code, support multiple screens or network drives along with disk redundancy

hello is this the 90s?
>>
>>52112633
with what? one fucking USB port? I am not unscrewing the fucking thing ten times over. Thinkpad I can easily access hardware. Fact is I like the mac design but price and what I get is so fucking shitty that I would buy 10 thinkpads before buying a macbook.
>>
>>52112619
>50 lb pro
It's 3lbs, anon :^)
>>
>>52112633
>no ethernet
>>
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 359x221) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10 KB, 359x221
>>52112728
Try again.
>>
>>52112773
No, you
>>
File: RZ5.png (188 KB, 945x1079) Image search: [Google]
RZ5.png
188 KB, 945x1079
>>52112619
>meanwhile in japan
>half the weight of the memebook air
>higher resolution
>full ports
>>
>>52098700
Dell has decent design quality but at least apple doesn't put stickers on shit, or branding text.
>>
>>52098924
Totally false.
>>
>>52112603
I lift fucking towers at work all day and then go out clubbing. Stop being such a limp wrist faggot.
>>
If you do software/web development getting a mac is very justifiable.
>>
>>52098950
You got a dysfunctional machine m8.
Typing this on a 2007 iMac that has only had one problem (which was a hard drive failure that warranty contained)
>>
File: 1451086034862.jpg (138 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1451086034862.jpg
138 KB, 1920x1080
>>52098518
God tier for coding and various tech tasks. Fucking expensive for what you get though.
>>
>>52112851
>toshiba
>>
>>52113409
>God tier for coding and various tech tasks
Why exactly is this? I really want to know.
>>
Just got my first one as a gift, I'll write my thoughts on it so far.

It was a complete surprise from my applefag parents, they said it was for school which is funny because I'm a senior. It's the latest "macbook" model. Not a pro, not an air, just a macbook. I'm enjoying OS X so far after years of using Arch and Windows at school. The device is just weird, they focused so hard on making it as thin as possible that they don't have a single USB port and the keyboard is as chicklet as it gets. It honestly feels like I'm typing on wood. Those two aspects are really shitty, but dat screen and dat battery life got me so wet after years of lugging around my X201. I'll probably sell it and spend $200 more on a pro though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.