[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got an SSD today, is it true you have to leave about 20%
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Night_City_Map.jpg (2 MB, 2698x1614) Image search: [Google]
Night_City_Map.jpg
2 MB, 2698x1614
Just got an SSD today, is it true you have to leave about 20% of the SSD's capactiy free for it to perform?

pic unrelated.
>>
>>52097913
I don't know anything about computers but my friends have told me it lowers your write speed the less capacity you have on your SSD , is it bullshit?
>>
>>52097908
yes
>>
No thats retarded. Just use it the fuck you wish, it will not die before you dont care about it anymore anyway.
>>
>>52097969
Yes it's bullshit.
One thing about the internet is that stupid bullshit myths propagate just as fast as actual information.
Things that sound like they could be true spread faster than things that are actually true.
>>
>>52097908
Yes it's called over provisioning if you shrink the total size of the used partitions to 90℅ of the drive it allows the ssd to use other nand cells when some go bad also if you completely fill a drive it will slow the drive
>>
>>52097908
You want to leave about 20% free so that it doesn't wear out any particular regions of the flash too quickly.
>>
>>52097908
Most modern SSDs come over-provisioned out of the box, even consumer models, usually somewhere between 7.5-15% Enterprise disks are usually 20-25% over.

This means that you aren't actually using 100% of it's capacity even if the computer reports that the disk is full, the advertised capacity is after provisioning.
>>
>>52098031
SSDs come with write-wear levelling you disgusting gimboid.
>>
>>52098061
No shit, how do you think it works? It moves data around. You need free space so that it can effectively shuffle data around.
>>
>>52098073
SSDs come with free space. Why do you think SSDs are sold as 250GB when it's got 256GB of NAND on it?
>>
>>52098019
No you tard, the reserve cells aren't included in the advertised capacity.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.