[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't they make GOOD FUCKING LAPTOPS ANYMORE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9
File: burningrage.png (146 KB, 424x470) Image search: [Google]
burningrage.png
146 KB, 424x470
Why don't they make GOOD FUCKING LAPTOPS ANYMORE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Because normalfags, aka the people who spend a lot more money than tech wizards, either want really high end facebook machines or cheap computers that can only run facebook.
>>
Because laptop manufacturers want to make money not really really good laptops. They can build delicately crafted laptops with the most pristine components and sell it for 10K+ or build a piece of shit that "just werks" at least for 2 maybe 4 years for $400-600. Which one do you think is going to make them the most money?
>>
but Thinkpads aren't complete shit yet
>>
>>52095701
Blame tablets. They eliminated the need for mid-range, "everyday use" laptops for most consumers.
>>
>>52095800
Not really i think what led to the downfall of laptops was not tablets but the sudden influx of tech illustrates who wanted devices to flaunt off their materialism. These kind of people don't care about the build quality or specs, they only care about thinness and overall aesthetics. Laptop manufacturers began catering to these people because they are far more in number than the people who will pay for a heavier more durable laptop, so manufacturers thought "hey why not make all the components shit so that y these regards replace their Facebook machines more often?".
It's all because of technology being more accessible to the masses who don't understand tech in the first place.
>>
Aren't sagers still kinda nice
>>
>>52095784
>Thinkpads now have chinese rootkits installed
>not complete shit shit

Friend...
>>
>Screens keep getting lower and wider.
>Keyboard travel keeps getting shorter.
>Nipple mice are dying.
>Chiclet everywhere.
>Sleeg Unibodd Desin :-DD
>Soldered components instead of socketed
>Glued down batteries.
>Mirror screens
>Force Touch bullshit
>Huge bezels
>Fn key for everything
>Function keys to Fn layer
>No indicator lights
>Preloaded MITM crapware
>ULV only
>No latches
>No middle mouse button
Why live?

Well I suppose battery lives are getting pretty nice these days.
>>
>>52095923
>not wiping the drive and installing your own (preferably non-windows) OS
buddy
>>
>>52095784

Lenovo has been shit since late 2009 mate.
>>
>>52095715
This, sadly, sums it up way too well!
>>
>>52095900
Sagers are basically generic plastic gaymer laptops that can pack good hardware while still only having average build quality.
>>
>>52095784
carbon absolutely sucks. thinkpads ded.

I agree, all laptops are made for the masses. I still have my 1st laptop in pristine, but my newer ones have all had internal and external problems, regardless of how well i manage them
>>
People don't buy good laptops. They buy the $400 AMD shitbook from best buy.
>>
>>52095784
ThinkPad retro senpai
>>
>>52095923
It only applies to people who use Windows anyway and who cares about privacy if they use Windows? it does not hurt anyone who isn't already too stupid to care.
>>
All the cool kids moved on the Dell Latitudes.
>>
The best laptops in history are being made right now OP

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
>>
>>52095701
linux/bsd on a thinkpad

outlet.lenovo.com has good deals

OP quell the faggotry a bit. <3

Thinkpad fixed their shit up last generation.
>>
I'd just like a reasonable laptop which can play mid-tier games which doesn't heat up like a furnace every time there is a high load.
>>
File: CEIUgZEUIAE-jGt.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
CEIUgZEUIAE-jGt.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>52096459
>>Keyboard travel keeps getting shorter.
Have you used the 2015 macbook out of curiosity?
Pic related yfw.
Less travel than a fucking touchscreen.
>>
>tfw no 16:10 screen
>tfw keyboard travel almost non-existent
>tfw whitelist bios
>tfw no more easy to access hardware for upgrading/fixing

No thanks, I'll stick with my nx9420 with linux.
>>
There are still good laptops like my MSI gaming laptop the problem is that g is autist
>>
File: EDUL55JJP1MUKq1x.jpg (189 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
EDUL55JJP1MUKq1x.jpg
189 KB, 1600x1200
>tfw no more 12" 4:3 laptops
>>
>>52099341
Gaming laptops are bad
>>
>>52099552
>mfw using one right now
>>
>>52095701
Retards like the average /g/ poster who base their sense of self worth on how thin and trendy their laptop is and other retards who buy on price alone and nothing else, accepting half-assed design and macbook clone bullshit because "w-well this has more megahurts for my mindless media consumption!"

In other words, people who don't actually need a laptop dictating how laptops should look and function.
>>
>>52099617
I've got mine right next to me, just got retired from my daily driver a few months ago
>>
>>52096459
>>Screens keep getting lower and wider.
god I hate this shit
there was literally nothing wrong with 4:3 if you weren't a media tard who actually used their portable computing device as a portable computing device, it saved more space and made the system more portable than shitty "muh thin is in" cancer ever will
>>
>>52099566
If you cant afford them then ye
>>
>>52099341
>>52099715
ugly low quality bait regarding ugly low quality trash
>>
>>52099715
Even if you can
>>
>>52096459
This, but I actually like and both type and game better with short travel chicklet keyboards.

>Well I suppose battery lives are getting pretty nice these days.
Not thanks to their thinness and other bullshit. If they had the old designs they would be able to have much better battery life.
>>
>>52095923

Got a source on that m8?

Besides how hard is to format and reinstall windows/linux.?
>>
If it wasn't as expensive, the dell xps 13 dev would be a really good laptop.
>>
>>52099908
>dell xps 13 dev
Well it has very good bezels and good battery life at least.
>>
>>52099953
Also it has excellent gnu/linux support. Dell stepped their game up quite a bit.
>>
>>52099998
Neat, so battery life is actually better under linux on it?
>>
>>52095701
Why is thinness so fawned upon? I mean why does it matter if your laptop 3cm wide or 3.1 cm wide?
Same with weight, why should a few grams matter? Are you disabled or something?
>>
>>52100034
It's preconfigured so the answer is yes.
>>
>>52100128
>It's preconfigured so the answer is yes.
Pre-configured doesn't necessarily mean they took their time to write drivers as good as the windows one.
>>
>>52097446
>what are hardware backdoors
>>
>>52095701
>REEEEEEE[...]
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>52101544
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>52097861
Razers have a pretty solid build, Macbook pros too
>>
>>52095701
>>52095715
Don't forget, businesses don't want to spend on high power laptops for their employees. As data sets have become larger in size, it is easier to connect directly to the main server and let the server do the work. It is far more cost effective to hand out cheap laptops that barely handle Word and Outlook at the same time.
>>
>>52100048
Work laptop should be light and easy to carry so being thin is good.
Traveling back and forth to work with a light laptop is good and you don't need need super computer for outlook and excel.

Buy a desktop if you want high end specs.
>>
>>52095701
Because normalfags want laptops to be like this:
-16:9 "HD" screen, means 1366x768 because the better screens are "too small" for them
>chicklet key board and trackpad without buttons because "they are like on my old mac!"
>>
>>52099908
>shitty dark screen with broken brightness
>>
>>52102858
I don't really care about high end performance specs, but I do care about serviceability and upgradeability. I also like things like a longer key travel which is inherently a tradeoff against thinness. I also prefer the casing to be half a millimeter thicker if it makes the machine more durable instead of thin and light. I want the back of the machine used efficiently with connector ports or maybe an optional protruding extended battery instead of a hinge that drops the bottom of the screen behind the machine for aesthetic purposes.

If I can get things like that, then thinness and lightness are good things, but when it comes to these tradeoffs, thin&light is way down in my priorities.
>>
>>52101742
Every serious business where I've been used mid to high end business laptops, m8
Not the consumer shit that you can buy at bestbuy
>>
Because people wanted laptops for portability instead of being absolute shit? Blame Microsoft for requiring the OEMs to include the use of fans. Not only that but whyy would I want to spend more than 300$+ on a laptop? Laptops are terrible as desktop replacements so why bother with something that it is not
>>
>>52102984
>serviceability and upgradeability

You mean how laptop ram is more expensive than a brand new tablet?
>>
>>52103056
>>52103086
Don't worry, there's an app for it :^)
>>
>not owning a macbook pro
>not buying from the only company to respect your freedoms
>>
File: reddit-icon.png (23 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
reddit-icon.png
23 KB, 256x256
>>52103109
>>52103056
>>52103086
>>
>>52103101
>>52103133

Do you guys not remember that mobile hardware existed around the same time consumer grade laptops started to come out
>>
>>52097476
who cares about lenovo? thinkpads are a very separate line of computers to their other shitstains.
and any consumer lenovo is still better than most other consumer shits.
>>
>>52095775
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>52103133

:---^) enjoy your botnet
>>
>>52095701
Stop being poor, faggot. If you spend less than $1200 on a laptop, you're going to have a bad time. If you're an idiot who buys from a shit brand, you'll probably also have a bad time
>>
File: iwantyou.jpg (82 KB, 600x866) Image search: [Google]
iwantyou.jpg
82 KB, 600x866
>>52103265
>>
All Apple laptops are good. Pick one based on the money you have and be happy forever.
>>
File: reddit-alien-snoo-decal-small-.png (37 KB, 410x410) Image search: [Google]
reddit-alien-snoo-decal-small-.png
37 KB, 410x410
>>52103282
>>
>>52099677
4:3 a shit on a laptop. 16:10 and 3:2 are the best ratio.
>>
>>52103267
But even $1200+ laptops suck, anon-senpai
>>
>>52103337
Actually it's pretty good.
>>
File: 1431701720442.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1431701720442.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>52103282
I need a laptop that has a good display, about 15" or more for design work, and don't want to spend more than $1k.

Right now I am using this monster of a laptop and Dell fucked me over more than once.
>stopped both hardware and driver support after two years.
>tells me they didn't test it for Win10 and don't plan on it either.
>currently using a make-shift charger and dated drivers that are acting funny.

at least my ubuntu partition is running okay, other than that I will get rid of it until I see something better.
>>
>>52101522
you can achieve similar to better battery life on GNU/Linux if you take the time to configure your system to save battery life. you don't need to write a driver for it. that being said, dell did write drivers for the laptop and even contributed upstream.
>>
>>52099715
Most companies don't put much effort into building gaming laptops i.e. they break in like 2-8 months or the drivers aren't updated or sometimes the wrong drivers are installed completely. When they do break the company doesn't really give two shits and basically tells you to go eat a dick
>>
>>52095701
I like my Lenovo Y50 4k.

No complaints other than no Nvidia Wayland drivers.
>>
>>52103452
Did you draw that yourself? Looks pretty cool.
>>
File: 1450710245686.png (35 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1450710245686.png
35 KB, 200x200
>mfw I can't figure out how to disable secure boot on my ANUS F555LA-AB31
I just want to install gentoo
>>
Laptops that last a long time aren't profitable.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.